Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
F
When the .txt files are changed manually, the editor does not detect those changes and update the .stat files, so the changes are not reflected in the editor.

In addition, the editor does not detect missing .stat files and generate new .stat files from the .txt files, so third-party mod data cannot be viewed in the editor.

Norbyte might add TXT-to-STAT conversion to his tool, but the editor should really take care of this.

F
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
F
Bump.

addict
addict
This is intended.
The designed usage is to make the files in-editor and let it generate the game files accordingly. The other way around is not supported. Any missing stat files/columns in-editor are added as soon as possible.

Sincerely,
Kevin

CTRL+K the elf
F
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
F
I know it's intended. It should not be intended was my point.

I understand that the editor generates .txt from .stats, but that one-way mechanism has gaps in the design:
  • The .stat files are not distributed with mods; therefore, if anyone wants to load a distributed mod into the editor, they can't see the data in the .txt files using the editor, further pushing them to work with files outside the editor.
  • Few users know about the .stat files, so backups either include only the Mods/Projects/Public folders or only the PAK archive. This means that when they reinstall the game and toolset, or indeed simply install the game and toolset on another system, they can't work on their own mods in the editor.
  • Many legacy mods (i.e., pre-editor mods) cannot be viewed in the editor because they lack .stat files.
In addition, without any way to import .txt files into the Stats Editor, this results in these outcomes:
  • the user thinks their data has been lost, so they spend the time to rebuild that data in the Stats Editor and effectively overwrite the existing data;
  • the user thinks their data has been lost, so they post false bug reports; and
  • the user does not understand why the Stats Editor cannot see their existing .txt files, so instead of using the Stats Editor, they continue editing the .txt files manually.

journeyman
journeyman
I certainly thought this was a bug myself, and is actually the reason I posted a while back. I'm very surprised this is intended. That's unfortunate, especially now that ItemColours and ItemProgressiveVisuals are now creatable through the Divinity Engine as of today. (Though ItemProgressiveVisuals are broken at the moment, can't choose a roottemplate causes instacrash)

Last edited by Nashes; 11/10/17 05:43 AM. Reason: false info, fixed
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Please let us add new stats to the presets, for example jump skills don't have the UseWeaponDamage variable, yet you can have them do damage, but they always scale with intelligence unless you do some text file editing...

D
D
Originally Posted by Zreks
Please let us add new stats to the presets, for example jump skills don't have the UseWeaponDamage variable, yet you can have them do damage, but they always scale with intelligence unless you do some text file editing...

Yea would love to be able to this. Might be a design choice, but if changing it is not that much work, would be great a improvement.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Zreks

Agreed, this would be super helpful. I need to manually edit so many files because of this every time I change things before uploading!

Moderated by  Larian_KVN 

Link Copied to Clipboard