Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
I already sent an email to the Beyond Divinity support team about this issue and posted on the Steam discussion forums. Hopefully, I'll get a quicker and more helpful response here.

The problem is that every time I pick up an item which places the weight on my character over his maximum threshold, the game freezes and crashes with a window popup stating that Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close the program. Has this happened with anyone else? I checked to see if there were any corrupt files by verifying the integrity of my game cache. I found 6 corrupt files, which were then repaired. I reloaded my game and tried to over-encumber myself again, only to find the game crashing like usual.

This is very frustrating because it really hinders my gameplay and puts me at risk of losing any unsaved progress if I accidentally pick up something too heavy.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there any solution to fixing it? Without it fixed, it's going to make this game pretty unplayable.

Support
Support

I don't recall seeing that reported before...

Do you also crash if a summoning doll becomes overloaded? The act 1 doll can equip a crossbow, so usually you don't need it to move, anyway (there are some proximity based traps you can use a doll to take out).

If that still causes a crash, offloading weight to the summoning dolls (one for trap material and extra food, etc, another for loot you are going to sell...) should help prevent this problem. After I started doing that I rarely ever became encumbered, let alone go over the weight limit. Though I was boosting strength, as well, for both characters (DK for 2 handed swords, hero for crossbows and armour), so my weight capacity was also increasing gradually.

If you want to zip your save and email it to me (raze@larian.com), I can try it here. That would help determine if the issue was with your game, or in the save itself.

Each save is a separate subfolder in the '..\Beyond Divinity\savegames' folder.
Under Vista/7, depending on how the user accounts are set up, if you installed the disk version of the game to the Program Files path, Windows could create separate savegame folders for each user, and then map that folder to the game's savegame folder (so it will just see the saves for the relevant user). I don't know if that is still the case if the SteamApps folder is in Program Files, though.

N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
I honestly have not even made it far enough in order to obtain summoning dolls. In the saved game I sent you, I'm currently exploring a dungeon in the Lv. 1 Battlefield. Just shift some of the items off my main character onto the DK (or from the DK to the main character) to overburden one of them to the point that it should way that it's "too heavy." For me at least, the game crashes.

Mind you, I am playing Beyond Divinity through the Steam client and I bought the digital copy from the Steam Store, so I don't know if that has any effect on why this is happening or the saved file's compatibility with your game.

Support
Support

Your save works fine here, so it isn't an issue with the save itself. The only thing that happens when I get to the 'too heavy' messages is that the hero or DK can not move any more (as designed).

The version of the game shouldn't make a difference. I just mentioned that about Steam because I don't have that version installed (in addition to the original disk version, I have the most recent version from the Divinity Anthology and GOG, so didn't install the Steam version).

For now, leave a couple barrels or chests in the battlefield by the merchants to offload excess loot. You will be able to return to get stuff any time up until the end of the act.

You are actually not that far from getting the first summoning doll. Jump down the pit in the arena, and the doll is a reward for helping someone close to where you end up. The solution is on that level, though you'll have to clear the majority of it.

N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Thanks, Raze! I'll try to do that. I also received a reply from the Beyond Divinity support, and I'm gathering up a report to hopefully resolve this issue, as well. I appreciate your information. Seeing how it's probably an issue with the game itself, I'll try to reinstall it (again) if the support team can't find a solution. If all else fails, I'll just do what you said. I appreciate it.

N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Well, I did some further testing and even after reinstallation, this bug continued to occur. I noticed furthermore that the game only crashes when my customized main character is overburdened past his maximum weight threshold. When the Death Knight is overburdened in such a way, the normal game functions occur and the game does not crash. Moreover, this occurs both within and without the dungeon, so it's not that either.

The problem is isolated on the main character becoming overburdened, not the Death Knight. Raze, did you test overburdening the character as well, not just the Death Knight? You may yield different results, though I doubt it.

I'm assuming this is a problem with a file in the game, something that's either missing or corrupted or misplaced, but every time I verify the integrity of the game cache, it all checks out. I'm too oblivious in this field to go manually searching for the issue, either, not to mention I don't have the programs to do so.

Support
Support

Yes, I tried both characters, and they both worked fine here (no crash, but unable to move when past limit).

Have you played far enough to try the summoning doll, or were you trying to get this fixed first?

Support
Support

I tried something different, and was able to crash the game.

If the hero is leader and I open the inventory, switch to the DK and drop item's onto the hero's portrait until he becomes overloaded, trying to move after that will crash the game. If I switch the DK to leader first, open the inventory, drop items on the hero's portrait until overloaded, then everything is fine and he just can not move.

Try it and see if you can avoid the problem that way.
If so, then just the normal process of offloading junk to sell (and excess food and trap/alchemy material) onto a summoning doll will pretty much render the problem moot.

I tried this in a new game, using a chest and a couple barrels dropped onto portraits. Dropping onto the follow's portrait was fine, the leader would crash trying to move (directly from the ground, or from the follower's inventory). The disk version was fine either way.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I am experiencing the exact same issue as the OP. Game crashes as soon as I reach weight limit, and try to move. GPU drivers are up to date, also tried running in XPSP3/win 98 compatibility mode to no avail. If it helps:

i7 4770k stock speed, 16GB corsair 1866, GTX660 SLI, sabertooth z87 mobo. nothing OCd,

I'm using the steam version of the game (1.5 if I recall correctly)

R
stranger
stranger
R
Also had this issue, but it normally only happens if I am overloaded and then go to the point where I can no longer move on the main character.

You gave a good example of reproducing it Raze. I never had it happen then (as I never moved stuff to the main character). If I was almost full and bought something from a vendor while at the same time selling my gear so it registered I was overencumbered even though all the weight was gone it crashed the game. The only other time it crashed was if I was overencumbered to the point I could moved and I paused the game and tried to drag items out of my inventory onto the floor (which it won't let you do in pause).

I avoided the problem by not letting these 2 situations to happen anymore as they're both easily avoidable. Been using the Steam version.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard