Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#410809 11/04/10 05:11 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I noticed that all my saves from yesterday are broken.When I try to load them the game crashes.
This is the same for reguler saves and quicksaves.
Now the saves from the days before however still work.
When I opened up the save folder I noticed that all the broken saves are named differently.
After the name is always added ".tmp" like it is a temporary file.
This isn't the case for the working saves.
Luckely when I saved now it made a regular save again.
Still I lost some progress and would like to prevent this from happening again.
So does someone know what caused this and if there is a way to restore the broken saves?

Support
Support

For some reason the game was not successfully completing the save process.
The game saves files to a temporary folder before moving them to a folder without the .tmp extension. This is to prevent a working save from being damaged if there is a problem during the save process when overwriting an existing save.

Check the number of files in the .tmp saved game folders. Missing or blank/corrupt files might cause the game to crash when trying to load.
A new game should have 22 files, after going to either Verdistis or the Dark Forest it should have 27, after going to both it should have 32, after getting to the wastelands it should have 37, and after getting to the Black Ring dungeon it should have 42.
Here is a file list of what should be in a save after going to Verdistis and the Dark Forest:
data.000
dialogs.000
extfree.x0
extfree.x1
extfree.x2
info.000
inv.b0
inv.b1
inv.b2
inv.i0
inv.i1
inv.i2
items.000
mapflags.000
mapv.0
mapv.1
mapv.2
objects.x0
objects.x1
objects.x2
quest_log.000
quickinfo.000
shot.xxx
shroud.x0
shroud.x1
shroud.x2
story.000
story.001
telpstates.000
world.x0
world.x1
world.x2

Different file extensions are associated with different areas of the game;
.0 / .x0 = Rivertown (Aleroth, Ars Magicana, etc)
.1 / .x1 = Verdistis, Council Hall
.2 / .x2 = Dark Forest
.3 / .x3 = Black Ring dungeons
.4 / .x4 = Wastelands

Since it happened for one day and then was fine, the most likely cause of this problem would be something running in the background interfering with the game (possibly a program that didn't exit properly).
Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game?

Another possibility could be that a file became corrupt in the folder the game uses as a cache (..\Divine Divinity\Run\Dynamic). Though rare, since files are created / copied there from the save game folder when you load, and written / copied from that folder when you save a game, maybe an initial problem carried over into subsequent saves.
The files in that folder can be deleted; they will be re-created as required the next time you start Divinity.

One person had a crash in Windows 5 or 10 minutes after exiting the game, and on rebooting Windows decided there was a problem with the (zero byte) inv.b2 file in all the recent saves, and deleted them. Fortunately this file can easily be replaced.

Raze #410830 11/04/10 10:24 PM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hello Raze,

Thanks for your clear comment.Indeed the broken saves only had 36 files, where the working ones had 37.So I was able to identify the missing file: it was the inv.b0 file.
Unfortunately while using an older version of this file from one of the working saves into my yesterday saves did indeed make it possible to load the save again, it also meant that important parts of my equipment and inventory were missing.For example my teleporters stones were gone and all newly equipped armor with gold charms inside.
So I think I will just replay yesterdays part.But I think your explanation will still help others provided that the missing file is less essential.

Support
Support

If you didn't have a relatively recent working save to revert back to, missing teleporter stones or quest items can be replaced using the procedure in the Lost Items topic, and DAD's item editor could be used to re-create equipment, or simply get something good enough until you can find or buy something better.

Raze #410834 12/04/10 12:38 AM
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Thanks for providing me with an alternative, but I decided just to replay part of the game.
Most of the good equipment was still in my stack (except one),just not the golden charms I'd put in them.Frequent visits to Croxy easily replaced them and I had fun using flash attack on those pesky imp mages again. A big thanks for your information though since now I know that when ".temp" appears after a save (visible even ingame on the load or save screen) that something is going wrong.

veteran
veteran
Hi,

I have this problem also sometimes! I see savename".tmp" and I directly make a new save so it is no more ".tmp" and so I didn't loose a savegame. The first time I experienced this case, I loose a savegame.

I think it is my anti-virusprogram or something. Now I know, (thanks Raze!) I put off that program when I play DD. Hopefully it didn't happen again ... biggrin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #412655 14/05/10 10:21 AM
Hello,

I've got a problem with a save game, though it's not the same problem as the people above me have. While using the teleport stone, just before the 'warping' animation finished, I did a quicksave. I died some time later, so hit the quick load buttons. The game loads fine, but when the loading is done, I can't move! The game won't respond to where I click my mouse. The cursor moves and the buttons and shortcuts work, but the game DOES NOT respond to where I click the mouse...
Can this be fixed? I just started a new character (lvl. 5) but I would hate to start all over again.

EDIT: Nevermind, just bought the remastered DD and started anew!

Last edited by Willlem; 14/05/10 01:08 PM.

https://www.xboxworld.nl/news - The best Dutch Xbox 360 webstite and community!
https://www.xboxworld.nl/article/933/review-divinity-2-ego-draconis/ - My Xboxworld.nl review
Willlem #412675 14/05/10 07:02 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M
well, it is not save related, but my game glitched big time. I was caught stealing something from someones house in verdistis, and the guards came, but didn't talk to me. i could steal things around me, but i couldn't move or use skills or talk to anyone. So, i threw a teleporter stone out of the house and used the one in my inventory. still couldn't move. And, all the colors you see while teleporting mixed together, i saw them in sequence. like green then red then yellow,etc. I got to leptines general store and stole some bread. He said to leave his stuff alone, and i could walk again! Anyone know what happened?

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.
Maax #412684 14/05/10 08:01 PM
Support
Support

I'd guess the first cutscene with the guards got hung up somehow, and stealing again (getting the reaction and conversation with Leptine which ended normally) reset the hold that was placed on your character. I'm not sure why the graphics while teleporting would be affected... The menu and fog of war are removed for cutscenes, though I don't recall if that is also the case when caught stealing.

You should always save before trying to steal, since reloading is easier than loosing reputation or getting out of jail (though the first time you get caught you can usually pass it off as a misunderstanding).

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard