Print Thread
#558883 20/11/14 03:36 PM
B
Baryon Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
B
I started playing DD and found it was too difficult for me. Personally I prefer to play for the story, lore, exploration, character interactions and so on but in this game I could not explore the world properly because I would just get killed, over and over. It's too easy to get killed and practically impossible to run away - is there no option to "escape" somehow? Are there no cheats or difficulty settings to make this easier?

I doubt I will continue playing it unless there is some way to make it easier, but I do want to ask whether Original Sin (or any other games in the series) is better suited to me? Is it just as hard, or is it possible to play it primarily for the story?

Support
Support
Other than the difficulty setting (in the Game section of the Options), there are various things you can do to help with the difficulty.
Warriors tend to be the easiest class to play, survivors the most challenging.

There is no escape function, though you can use the teleporter pyramids for that, and you can often just run away. Quicksaving while exploring and periodic named saves also help.

The catacombs are the most challenging part of the game, and it tends to get easier as it progresses. You can leave Aleroth early and level up outside, though if you forget about the catacombs and advance the main plot too far Mardaneus will be cured without your help, and you'll miss out on experience and rewards for unfinished quests in Aleroth.
The orcs to the north, east and west are weaker and in smaller groups than some to the south. A bow may be safer than melee, and orcs are vulnerable to poison damage.

Early Starting Tips

Early Starter Tips (NON-Spoiler Version)

If that doesn't help enough, there is an item editor and save editor on Kiya's site (broken link). A boost to a weapon (damage, stat bonuses, etc) would be the easiest way to get over the initial difficulty, and you could easily drop or stash it to go back to a non-cheat state.

D:OS is easier overall, and there is an escape function that can be used during the turn based combat.
Beyond Divinity can be a little challenging at the start, but not for as long as DD. It is mostly just the first mini-boss on the first level that some people had problems with; after that there are a couple specific fights that can be tough, but it isn't an issue in general like it may be for the DD catacombs. There are also 4 difficulty levels, the lower 2 of which start you off with 1 or 2 extra skill points.
Divinity 2 can be a little challenging at the start (I played on nightmare; there are 3 lower difficulty levels), but ranged combat is quite effective. There were a couple difficulty spikes in the original release of the game, addressed in the DKS / Developer's Cut releases.

EDIT:
Here is a mirror link for version 1.4 of DAD's Item Editor.
If you do not already have the Visual Basic 6 redistributable installed, and get missing file/component errors, use the full installer for v1.1, then replace the executable in the install folder with the latest version.

iZakaroN's SaveEditor

Last edited by Raze; 09/11/19 06:08 AM.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard