Page 1 of 2 1 2
#379945 21/08/09 07:39 PM
T
twg Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Hi, sorry iam german and my english is bad, but i buyed the game one week ago and try to play it, but it crashes all the time. I try to tell my problem in german ( larian Forum ), but no response. I tried the telephone support(3 times), but nothing happens until now. Now i got the Game (on my own) running until the scene where the dragon Knight dies und show me my future as dragon, but after the canyon, the game crashes again and again and again.

And NO I dont play with a crack/patch. I just play with the original game DVD! And now is my secound weekend without a game, i payed for!!!

Last edited by twg; 21/08/09 07:39 PM.
T
twg Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I think it crashes, when a video should start, like the crash at a new game start.

old hand
old hand
Ok, a few questions to ask.

What version of windows do you have? (XP, Vista, Windows 7?)
Do you have the latest updates? Go to http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate

Do you have the latest video driver installed?
-go to "run" on the start menu and type in "dxdiag" and click on the "display" tab. What is your video card?

Did you uninstall and reinstall the game?

-Sometimes a game might not install correctly the 1st try.

Did you install with an anti virus program running?

-Sometimes an Anti Virus program can interfere with an installation of software, this is rare.

Did you try to hack it into English? (It sounds like you didn't, but want to make 100% sure)

We'll try to help as much as possible. I'll be back in a few hours.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 21/08/09 09:30 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
old hand
twg: can you start and play the videos normally under Windows by double clicking them?

I mean, in Windows Explorer go to the install path (for instance C:\Program Files\Divinity II - Ego Draconis). The go inside the folder Data and then inside the folder Video, and then inside the folder Skills. Can you start and watch those WMV files that are in there?

Do you have some video decoders installed where you can add divinity2.exe to the exclusion list?

The videos are "just" WMV files. If you have the latest version of Windows Media Player installed normally, they run. You don't need anything special to be able to play them, but there might be a video or audio codec interfering with that playback.

I'm sorry for not having answered before, but as far as I have seen, this is a very unique case.

LightningLockey: thanks for helping, check his German post for DXDIAG smile

Tweeting @forktong
old hand
old hand
Guess I should have looked there, had some where to go and was in a bit of a rush.
Using google translator it seems his issue happens only when a .wmv video needs to play.

The direct path to the skills folder:

C:\Program Files\Divinity II - Ego Draconis\Data\Video\Skills

The direct path to the video that plays after the canyon:
C:\Program Files\Divinity II - Ego Draconis\Data\Video\Story\Dreamscene_End.wmv

What program opens the .wmv files? If it isn't windows media player, can you start windows media player and manually open them with that?

Lastly, for peace of mind. Can you run a full virus scan on your computer? Make sure nothing is attacking windows media player or interfering with .wmv files. I've seen viruses/malware do odd things like this before.

Glad to help ForkTong, want see this person playing the game as soon as possible.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 22/08/09 12:32 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
L
apprentice
apprentice
L
Hmmm I have seen similar problems in other games, relating to the viewing of movies in game. Did you install any Codec Packs on your system?

The last time I encountered problem like this the issue was FFDSHOW. If you see the FFDSHOW icon showing up in your system tray while your game crash, then your crash could be related to it. Try uninstalling the codec.

just my 2 cent, hope you get your problems sorted out.

T
twg Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Hi, thanks for the answers, i just come home from work...

-What version of windows do you have? (XP, Vista, Windows 7?)
Windows XP with Autoupdate

-Do you have the latest video driver installed?
Yes, the latest Nvidia driver

-Did you uninstall and reinstall the game?
3 Times yes

-Did you install with an anti virus program running?
I never turn off my security

-Did you try to hack it into English? (It sounds like you didn't, but want to make 100% sure)
No, only the original instal with patch

-twg: can you start and play the videos normally under Windows by double clicking them?
Yes

-What program opens the .wmv files?
VLC Mediaplayer normaly

-If it isn't windows media player, can you start windows media player and manually open them with that?
Yes, no problem in Windows, only in Divinity (at the Start of a new game and at this sequence)

-Lastly, for peace of mind. Can you run a full virus scan on your computer?
I will try tonight.
UPDATE: My System is clear. Checked with actual (today updated) Avira AntiVir.

-Try uninstalling the codec.
I get no Errormessage, nothing, the Game just frezzes and exit to desktop, when i hit any key. And i dont know how to uninstall a codec.

Thanks for trying to help me.
CU TWG

Last edited by twg; 22/08/09 10:03 PM.
old hand
old hand
Ok twg. I'm doubtful this will make a difference but I'd try this anyway.

Can you right click a .wmv files and select "properties" in the menu, then there should be a button that says "change" and set it to windows media player. I don't know what the words in " " will be in German.

Try to play the game and see if it will play.

I know you said that you've gotten no errors. Sometimes we can find clues in event viewer.

This should work as Windows core files are in English (once had to repair a German corrupt Windows Xp). Go to Start and Run, type in eventvwr and see if you can find any errors related to Divinity2.exe

In the left pane "application" or German equivalent should be highlighted.
Look for red circles with an X in them.
See if there are any errors being logged in there.
I'm looking for stuff related to divinity2.exe, vlc, and windows media player (wmplayer.exe) as they can be conflicting. I'm not sure what the .exe is for vlc.
If you see lots and lots of errors, there might be more going on with your computer then just the game failing.

I'm expecting stuff like this, only will be related to divinity2.exe instead of winamp.exe

Faulting application winamp.exe, version 5.1.1.143, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.5755, fault address 0x00010717.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

You can click and highlight the text. While it is all highlighted in the window press CTRL and C (keyboard copy command) and you can paste the contents in your forum post. Sometimes you'll have to try this copy method two or three times for the stuff to copy, but it does work. For some reason Micro$oft doesn't have an easy right click copy command in here. frown

After this it will be more up to Larian staff to assist you, I'm running out of ideas but will still give it my best.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 23/08/09 02:30 AM.

T
twg Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Ok,I changed the properties (in german "Eigenschaften" wink ) but same problem ingame - the Game just crashes at the same point.

Than i checked the event viewer, but there where no errors with Divinity 2, than i started the game again and the game crashes again, but after aktualising (i dont know the right word) there where no new errors (and of course no old errors wink with divinity 2 , only an very old error with notepad) ("application" the german equivalent is "Anwendung" by the way smile ).

After this it will be more up to Larian staff to assist you, I'm running out of ideas but will still give it my best.

Thank´s a lot for trying to help me. smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
have you tried disabling your firewall and anti-virus? If you're afraid of the lack of security, you can turn disable your internet connection, first. I've personally had many games failing on me because of that. Sometimes it's just that simple.

old hand
old hand
Glad you brought that up again sword. Play the game with the anti-virus disabled. If the game still crashes, try to re-install and apply patch with the anti-virus disabled. Then play it with the anti-virus disabled.

A
veteran
veteran
A
There are a few DVD drives which are seemingly incompatible with SecuRom, we found out in the Drakensang forum. Which means that yours can be one of them, perhaps.

We had a list of user-added compatible drives there, which I posted here somewhere ...

Other possibilities could include faulty RAM modules.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
Usually faulty RAM will generate a blue screen of death with something like cannot_page_in_nonpaged_area. "paged" and "non paged" in the error usually mean bad ram or hard drive.

If you really want to check your ram:

http://majorgeeks.com/MemTest_d350.html
You got like 4gb ram so need to get two of these going at once. Have one set to 2000mb and the other "all unused memory" and let them run till it gets over 100%. They will run until you tell it to stop.

http://majorgeeks.com/Video_Memory_Stress_Test__d5896.html
This needs to be done in regular mode and will test the memory in your video card.

I'm doubtful anything is bad. If I was working on your computer in the repair shop, would run memtest overnight and video stress test over lunch. These test will take quite a while, the video card one might take over an hour.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 24/08/09 02:52 PM.

T
twg Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Hello again...
and so i disable my internet, turn off my security and Firewall and try to play the game - CRASH
and so i deinstall and reinstall the game without antivirus und Firewall and try to play the game - also CRASH
the only thing that changes was:
now the taskbar comes and shows 2 windows "divinity2" and "divinity2.exe" and the taskmanager say´s that divinity2 get no response and divinity2.exe is running.

My ram is allright, i checked it some time ago.

Can this error be a part of the security? If there is a problem with my dvd the game maybe thinks there is no dvd in the computer.

can you check the savegame for that?

by the way - What is the german support paid for? *hmpf*

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
If there's a problem with your DVD, you won't get a crash.
I'd also assume firewall/anti-virus don't play a role.

Does other stuff that makes heavy use of system-ressources run?

I'd more assume it's something strange in your windows. Check you have the newest versions of all drivers (usually graphics- and sound-drivers matter). Uninstall all codec-packs you might have installed. Re-install Direct X.

What graphics card do you have?

If all that above does not help, I fear you'll have to re-install your windows (with the newest drivers then), pay attention what else (3rd-party-stuff) you install. If it STILL crashes then and you have some mainstream-graphics-card (nvidia or ATI; you are not playing on a laptop, no?) you really might have some hardware-issue. But really check your drivers/codecs first! (Download newest versions, uninstall existing stuff, re-install the new stuff, leave out codecs or so for now).

old hand
old hand
TWG, the no DVD cracks are allowing you to play the game, just causing odd things like 1k skill points, waypoints not working, "error code 42".

Silver, I'm doubting a hardware issue. The game stops running when a .wmv movie has to play. TWG is able to play the movies in windows media player outside of the game. I'm betting on some sort of software incompatibility. Those two test programs I gave him are very good at detecting faulty hardware.

He has a NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT (really good video card)
Check his first post for a link to the German thread. His dxdiag report is in there and in English.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by twg
the only thing that changes was:
now the taskbar comes and shows 2 windows "divinity2" and "divinity2.exe" and the taskmanager say´s that divinity2 get no response and divinity2.exe is running.

If you rightclick the Div2 shortcut on your desktop you can choose "Launch analysis". Can you execute that and send that report to Securom? More about that here: http://www.securom.com/message.asp?m=analysis&l=ge

Tweeting @forktong
T
twg Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
I will try it, after work.

- But could you please think about an option to skip all videos ingame with the next patch, because i wish to play the game at 04.09.2009 bekause i have annual leave (googletranslation wink Hollidays.

T
twg Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
i got news from the german support, nothing useful of course but they tell me (after 5 Days) they cant load my savegame....

old hand
old hand
Who exactly did you contact and send your saved game file to? It sounds like maybe that saved game is corrupted.

From your original post it sounds like you've got the following issues:

I used google translator so not 100% sure on all the problems.

You were not able to distribute skill points. The game would crash. Also had trouble getting past any point where videos would play. At about level 3 you uninstalled and installed the game.

Did you start a new game after the new install? Or did you use your old saved game to advance?

After the new install, can you distribute skill points? Or will you have problems in that screen?
In the skill window, are you able to see a demonstration of the skills in the lower left corner of the screen?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard