Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
addict
OP Offline
addict
Out of curiosity, what is the general opinion of the Dragon mechanic in ED? I for one loved it, and it is what interested me in the game in the first place. Wish it was used more.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think it's well done, but I preferred being a human, just to be contrary and perhaps to miss the point altogether! But I can't just gloss over it that quickly as its implementation was far better than I'd expected.

Talking of contrary, that also comes to mind as the dragon form feels much more vulnerable than being a human and I've found myself much more likely to be pwned as a result, which may be an additional reason I generally prefer human form.

What would've been nicer would be a larger territory to fly around; it's not as if the Orobas Fjords were small, but given the hugely increased movement speed of the dragon they could feel a bit constrained after a short while.

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
apprentice
The only time I hated being a dragon was in Zagan's cave.

- Dragon is big.
- Cave is small.
- Zagan and his buddies vomit fire everywhere.
- Me not being happy.
- Resort to guerrilla tactics.
- It doesn't feel right.
- !@#%$&@#&*@#%#@!!!!

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Zagon cave, that was nightmare.

Last edited by pall; 30/01/11 11:15 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Killing everything wasn't a problem. The problem was, "Where is the exit???"

(But I loved the Famous Last Word of Zagon laugh "Oh, oh")

"The Frenglais does déjà exist. Many gens are parling this langue" Barta
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
I thought the dragon part was the weakest. I was much stronger as a human character. My Dragon form should have at least twice the health and inflict twice the damage as my human form. But I had 1475hp as human vs 1300hp as dragon. I also dealt twice the damage as a human, 600-900 versus 300-400 as a dragon. I found that to be completely lopsided.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by jbebout
I thought the dragon part was the weakest. I was much stronger as a human character. My Dragon form should have at least twice the health and inflict twice the damage as my human form. But I had 1475hp as human vs 1300hp as dragon. I also dealt twice the damage as a human, 600-900 versus 300-400 as a dragon. I found that to be completely lopsided.

1475? Did you put all your points into vitality or something? eek

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Vitality, strength, dexterity and intelligence. Every time I leveled up. Then picked armor that boosted vitality and further enhanced it with some runes. Also used melee runes to increase weapon damage.

addict
OP Offline
addict
ehh, I like that they didn't over-power the dragon. makes you actually have to avoid attacks instead of just blasting everyone. laugh

One thing I would have liked is more enemies to fry

J
apprentice
apprentice
J
An Air to ground attack would have been nice. Being able to fry those stupid archers from the air would have been much more satisfying.

J
joh Offline
stranger
stranger
J
Haven't finished the game yet (right before baal; haven't done flying fortresses) but the dragon feels pretty darn weak. For one thing, enemies on the ground just disappear when you are in dragon form. Other aerial enemies (wyverns & stupid goblin flyers) seem to be almost as deadly as the dragon. I end up hitting the homing fireball, waiting for cooldown and doing it again over & over whilst flying in circles. The perspective also needs work - the dragon appears to be very small with the over-the-shoulder view.

Next time around, I would like to see more physics fx from stuff destroyed by the dragon's fire as well as enemies on the ground (also let the player see how strong they are when on the ground). I mean Lovis killed 10k Black Rings but all i've been doing is shooting down crappy ballistas and goblin mounted wyverns. There needs to be more visual feedback on the destruction as well as a REAL difference in power.

veteran
veteran
General opinion? Well... Drakan with good 3D. Nothing new.

TES5-guys figured out that Dragon theme is now hot and they making it's won clone of Drakan/Divinty2, while public still wants more.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
The Dragon form piece of Divinity 2 is what kept me from buying Divinty 2 when it was first released. But having enjoyed Divine Divinity along with the generally postive press about DKS, I made the plunge and I'm glad I did.

You play most of the game in human form which is what I liked best. The dragon form wasn't terrible but wasn't that fun to me either. It was just ok and I could certainly live without this play mechanic in future CRPGs by Larian.

The FOV content was great as it was all human except for the final ending part.

All in all, DKS is a very good game worthy of any CPRGers collection.

a_wife_01 glares at you threatengingly, ready to divorce!
C
journeyman
journeyman
C
I'm at the Well cave going up against Zagan atm and its a nightmare for me too smirk

I need to find a way to beat Zagan. His spray and pray hurt like hell on my Dragon form and i don't like being force to play as a dragon smirk

I like the dragon form for one primary roll and that's to travel hehe.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Condor
I'm at the Well cave going up against Zagan atm and its a nightmare for me too smirk

I need to find a way to beat Zagan. His spray and pray hurt like hell on my Dragon form and i don't like being force to play as a dragon smirk

I like the dragon form for one primary roll and that's to travel hehe.

dang, lots of people don't like it. Ah well, I am a minority. laugh

As for Zagan, I didn't even go to high hall until I was about level 28, so Zagan couldn't hurt me.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Kein

Drakan was much better - you could attack ground troops and set scenery on fire! Watching those goblins in 'Order of the Flame' run in terror as you swooped down on them was one of those OMG gaming moments, and being able to burn down a watch tower with a few well placed flames at the base was also awesome.

So Divinity disappointed me in that respect, but it is still a great game.

Also I agree that Dragon form was much weaker than human form. In fact, when faced with a major aerial fight, I'd usually switch to human form and pick off the enemies when they got close with fireballs (and benefit from my health regeneration at the same time). The hardest sections of the game for me were where you were 'stuck' in dragon form, e.g. in the dream sequences.

Last edited by Trippy; 31/01/11 05:30 AM.
addict
OP Offline
addict
This may sound picky, but has anyone noticed your character's "dragon" form has no front legs? The western type dragon they use in this game should have front legs. Generally you would call the type of dragon in the game a Wyvern.

Support
Support

That was a deliberate design choice, so the dragon (wyvern) form would correspond more to human form (ie arms become wings, rather than wings just forming).

The dragon Patriarch had arms, legs and wings in Divine Divinity. For D2:ED / DKS I don't know if he took a wyvern form to talk to your character, because he wanted a change of pace when he moved to that cave, or Larian just went with a different design.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Trippy
Originally Posted by Kein

Drakan was much better - you could attack ground troops and set scenery on fire! Watching those goblins in 'Order of the Flame' run in terror as you swooped down on them was one of those OMG gaming moments, and being able to burn down a watch tower with a few well placed flames at the base was also awesome.

Not to mention your dragon could not only breathe fire, but also poison, ice & lightning as the game progressed.

veteran
veteran
Drakan was much better - you could attack ground troops and set scenery on fire!

I agree, that's why I mentioned only 3D part :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard