Print Thread
#439826 01/03/11 12:05 AM
R
Razzi Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Let me preface tnis post by saying that I greatly appreciate the help you guys have given me up until now, notably by Raze.

My problem is that I'm a total RPG dummy to the extent that I don't even know the game language. For instance, what's a "build"?

Okay, that said, I'm up to level 17 by poor luck, (having the game on 'casual' helps, of course) and I've collected a number of plants, armor, charms, etc.

But right now, I'm stuck trying to kill Amdusias becasue I don't think I'm strong enough yet.
But I don't know how to level up because I seem to have killed 'everyone' in the valley including all the bandits, the five wanted guys, the conjured up demons, et al.

I wander around a landscape devoid of life at the moment. haha!

BTW, I've completed The greater Hunter,A hunting we shall Go, The hunt for Red Ore, Method or Madness, Lost for words, Stuck in a hole, An axe to find, Daylight Robbery, The temple of Doom, To lay a ghost to rest, Dragon no more, A Tale of two tomes, Vigor Mortis.

Getting back to Amdusias, I usually walk around as an Archer and I've tried that on him. But if I go to Warrior (melee) mode, I can't figure out how to attack him becasue he's up in the air in Dragon Form.

So my problem at the moment I guess is how to level up. My highest hitpoints presently are 290 as archer.

Any ideas, hints thoughts?

__JimR

Razzi #439828 01/03/11 12:28 AM
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
You can go to orobas fjords to gain some quick levels but... If you completed Dragon no more quest Amdusias should not be in his dragon form, are you sure that you completed this quest?

Last edited by pall; 01/03/11 12:29 AM.
Razzi #439829 01/03/11 12:33 AM
Support
Support

A character build is simply a your chosen play style and how you develop your character's stats and skills. A high dexterity, Explosive Arrow using archer is one type of build. An archer with stats spread out a bit more with either magic or melee weapons as a backup would different builds of the more general archer build.

As I mentioned in your other topic, you need to turn Amdusias human in order to defeat him. He can not be attacked in dragon form.

The librarian is looking for a book (that can be found on that level), which contains various transformation spells, one of which Amdusius used to become a dragon. When you bring him the book, he will give you the second volume, which contains the counter-spells. Reading that book from your inventory will cast the counter-spell, as long as you have the required ingredients.
The book can be found in the chamber with the bedrooms upstairs...
The book is in a locked chest downstairs, while the key is in the secret room upstairs - use a book in the bookcase in one of the rooms.

The ingredients can be found near the key to the chest, and in the room with Amdusias...
The vial of blood is in the secret room, and looks a bit like a candle at first glance. The scales are on the ground on the path to the blood alter.

To the far south west in Broken Valley you can follow a trail up to the fjords, and get around the starting section (a barrier prevents full access until you have the battle tower). I'd take out Amdusias first, then when the blocked hallway there is open I'd go check it out, but put off using the teleporer until visiting the fjords and getting to a new level (as I explained in your other topic about this).

Raze #439832 01/03/11 01:44 AM
R
Razzi Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
R
Thanks much Pall and Raze,

I finally made it to Sentinel Island!

But keep tuned, I'm sure I'll come for more help with my hat in hand, haha! (BTW, I can't seem
to get the post icons to work.)

Razzi #439855 01/03/11 12:34 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
The term "build" referst to a specifically planned character development - youbasically plan - before you play, or atz least from early in the beginning on - what kind of character you want to play - and then you distribute the skill points and experience points etc. according to that plan.

Several "builds" develop over time, though. Because since when a game is new, no-one (at least no-one of the players grin - the developrs might know this, actually grin ) knows where a certain kind of character development (read : distribution of skill points, experience points tc.) might lead to. So, this is tested and developed almost entirely by the players themselves - and *they* are those who develop certain language.

Please note that the term "build" is ONLY common in action-oriented role-playing games !

Non-action oriented role-playing games (like Drakensang 2, for example) DO OT have the term of a "build". Non-action oriented role-playing games rely usually to a far broarder distribution of skill points, experience points etc. ,
and on the opposite in action-oriented role-playing games one us usually ONLY successful b narrowing the view and concentrating on a few skills alone. A brioad distribution of skill points, experience points etc. just makes ANY action-oriented game considerably hrder, or even totally impossible.

Action-oriented role-playing games and non-action, but still enormously combat-oriented role-playing games (like Icewind Dale) rely on theremise of (as I call it) "I fight, therefore I play a role".

Non-action oriented role-playing games and generally not combart-oriented role-playing games RATHER take the tem of "playing a role" (like an actior in the thatre !) more literally.

You can tell an action-oriented game or any combat-oriented game from any non-action-oriented by simply by the complete lack of social interaction skills any combat- or action-oriented game has.
Mind-reading like in Divinity 2 is an exception of this rule.
As is the reputation system of Divinity 1.

If you are a "complete" newbie in the role-playing field altogether5, then yxou might be interested (perhaps, I don't know, of course) in "The SIMs Medieval". Seriously. I plan to play it one day, too.

Another example would be the rather action-oriented, but still adventure-heavy role-playing game of "Venetica".

Not to mention "Drakensang 2", of which I'm a fan grin , or the more combat-oriented Drakensang 1.

And a side-note to all those who would like to burn me like an evil witcher because I mentioned "The SIMs Medieval" : I don't care what you think of me. Not at all. Someone of 41 years (like me) has other things to think about than some immature flame-wars. So save your breath and energy for the imho excellent Divinity 2 game instead. wink I *do* like social interaction in games - and I'm quite an outsider in that respect. wink (But I've never bought any SIMs game so far, I must admit.)

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
journeyman
journeyman
Have to feel for Venetica's devs, I saw it before xmas full price and almost got it.
Then I picked it up last month for £12.99.

Although some of the character models are goofy, I've really enjoyed playing it and the combat and ideas are quite good smile

*** Stay put while I go search for a butterfly net. ***
D00M #439886 01/03/11 07:19 PM
A
veteran
veteran
A
They usually do adventure games, like the well-known Ankh-Trilogy. wink

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard