Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jemolk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
This may seem a truly bizarre question to ask here, but I do so because I've been playing the GOG version of the Developer's Cut on Linux using a PlayOnLinux install script. The game runs perfectly fine, but two things has been bugging me to no end: I cannot type capitals, and certain characters appear as odd exclamation points in diamonds. It's something I think I could fix if I knew what was missing, but I really don't. I can show you the script if you think that would help.

I definitely think the font the game uses is one of the things that I don't have because it's a default thing on Windows, since installing the game didn't install that, at least fully, special characters and all. However, this is speculation.

Just for the record, as well, it worked fine on my Windows partition before I switched to Linux, text included. As such, I'm not sure emailing support, even with saves, would help anything.

If no one can help, that's okay, I suppose; I can still play the game on Linux. I'd just have to deal with naming the character on my Windows partition if I want a capitalized name not starting with S. I'd just really like to see this figured out.

Support
Support

Unfortunately, I don't recall anyone else reporting this issue, and a web search didn't turn up anything, either.

Jemolk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah, that was similar to my experience. A pity. Any idea what font the game uses, if it's one that should be preinstalled in Microsoft Windows? My next attempt will probably be to install the larger font mod that showed up in a search and see if that helps, since it may well be connected. Regardless, thanks.

Support
Support

I think (from a D2:ED topic) the main font is CM Tiempo, and some characters are taken from Morpheus.
The D2:ED fansite kit includes the Lombardic font in the website folder (don't know if it is used in-game at all). The FoV presskit just has logos and screenshots, and if there were updated presskits for DKS or D2:DC, I don't seem to have downloaded them, and can't find any working links in a quick search.

I thought of the font mod, as well, but it is a replacement d3d9.dll file placed in the bin folder with the game executable, so it probably just scales the font, rather than replaces it. It can't hurt to try it, though.

Jemolk Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Well, I've tried what I can think of. My only remaining thought is that it's a completely undocumented bug in the specific version of Wine, which I know you can't really help with. I started thinking it might have to do with the game files themselves when I ran across a special character that was clearly improperly rendered, but I think I can dismiss that worry safely now. I just wish I was more experienced with debugging. Regardless, using the illusionist to rename my character with a capitalized name on my Windows partition solved the main issue for now, and I can revisit this when I'm actually able to troubleshoot as effectively as I'd really like.

Thanks a bunch for all the help trying to track down what the heck is going on, though! Never would have gotten this far without that. Much appreciated for sure!

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard