Next Thread
Print Thread
#469398 14/07/13 06:38 PM
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hi guys! Loving the beta so far, especially after the patch, and just wanted to share a few thoughts on the card system when playing a campaign.

I think the cards add a great and interesting dynamic to the TBS aspect of the game; they provide unique options to hurt your opponent outside of battle, both directly and indirectly. The problem with them, however, is that by the middle/end of a campaign when most units have been upgraded and skills researched, I usually have a deck full of useless cards. Now, I don't mean useless as in the cards aren't valuable; I mean useless as in the upgrades or skills they provide are ones I already have.

That being said, I don't think anything should be done to change the way the cards are drawn (repeat cards and previously researched skill cards should remain draw possibilities just like in a physical deck of cards), but I do think another use for these "useless" cards should be implemented. For instance, if I receive a Dragon Skill Card but I already have that skill researched, it doesn't do me much good to keep that card in my deck. So, just like we can buy cards, we should be able to sell them, or at the very least trade them at something like a 2:1 ratio or based on their individual value. Not only would this help players better organize their cards by keeping and trading for the ones they want/need, it would add another layer of strategy for players to utilize.

Another small quip is the card interface; some sorting options would be nice in order to help find particular cards before battles. And, maybe I'm just a little slow, but there seems to be no way to undo a card selection just before starting a battle. Sometimes I accidentally click on the wrong card and end up having to play it unnecessarily.

Anyone else have any thoughts on the card system in Dragon Commander?

mountainpony #469399 14/07/13 06:58 PM
Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by mountainpony
And, maybe I'm just a little slow, but there seems to be no way to undo a card selection just before starting a battle. Sometimes I accidentally click on the wrong card and end up having to play it unnecessarily.

I think that it is intended that you cannot undo a card selection. The reason for it is that your opponent(s) can see the card once you have played it. So, being able to undo a card selection would lead to everyone trying to overtrump the cards of the other player(s) by incessantly deselecting and selecting cards.

Elwyn #469518 17/07/13 02:48 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Elwyn
Originally Posted by mountainpony
And, maybe I'm just a little slow, but there seems to be no way to undo a card selection just before starting a battle. Sometimes I accidentally click on the wrong card and end up having to play it unnecessarily.

I think that it is intended that you cannot undo a card selection. The reason for it is that your opponent(s) can see the card once you have played it. So, being able to undo a card selection would lead to everyone trying to overtrump the cards of the other player(s) by incessantly deselecting and selecting cards.

You could pick a card that cannot be seen by the opponent (last two slots). I actually suggested before if we could change the last two slots because the enemy won't even see it anyways.

I think they have to change the mechanics of putting cards. They should disable the hidden/secret cards first until the first three card slots have been taken. Also, when putting cards on hidden slots that are prevalent like mercenary cards, it's pretty useless because the enemy can see what you put anyways.

EDIT: my mechanic suggestion was due to the AI always using the first three slots in putting his cards.

This is actually an AI issue rather than the game mechanic itself. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited by henryv; 17/07/13 03:05 AM.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
henryv #469522 17/07/13 02:54 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by henryv

I think they have to change the mechanics of putting cards. They should disable the hidden/secret cards first until the first three card slots have been taken.

Why? I don't see the reason for that.

Stabbey #469523 17/07/13 02:59 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Originally Posted by henryv

I think they have to change the mechanics of putting cards. They should disable the hidden/secret cards first until the first three card slots have been taken.

Why? I don't see the reason for that.

Hmm, maybe because the AI always put cards first into the first three slots while the player can just go straight ahead on their last two slots.

I suggested this for the AI. Maybe the mechanics of the AI should change in putting cards in slots.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
henryv #469531 17/07/13 03:51 AM
veteran
veteran
I have seen the AI put cards on the hidden slots first. Those tend to be unit buffs or debuffs.

Stabbey #469568 17/07/13 04:58 PM
journeyman
journeyman
While most the time it may be unit buffs or debuffs I think I did see one that was a merc possible? But it's also rare to see the AI play more than 3 cards at a time, they mostly play one or two cards or just hope that what they have is enough, or rather that it's pointless (One guy against an army)

Nuju #469583 17/07/13 06:49 PM
veteran
veteran
LOL, I haven't evene seen yet that there are "hidden" slots.... :P

WOOS
LordCrash #469942 20/07/13 12:56 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I'd like an emporum that lets you offset the cost of a card you buy by trading in cards from your hand. You'd essentially be discarding cards, but with a slight benefit. A fair price would make that huge card stack needlessly powerful. Cards should be most potent when you find a good use for them.

Maybe you could trade in your old cards at a value of 1 (gold) whenever you buy something from them. (Buy card for 8 gold, pay with 3 useless cards and 5 gold,) I would not want a direct conversion between cards and gold, because that would make cards an outright goldmine.

Maybe also not allow more than half the price of a card to be paid in cards. Don't know.

Sinister #469943 20/07/13 01:56 PM
veteran
veteran
That, or something like it, is a good idea, Sinister. Right now, cards for things you've already researched become useless.

Stabbey #469946 20/07/13 02:48 PM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
I think I had written that already, but I think a randomized exchange system might be an interesting mechanic.
You choose two (or three) cards of one type and get a new random card of the same type.
Or you choose 3 of different types and get a new completely random card.
Something like that - should keep the random nature of cards, while giving a possibility to get rid of unneeded ones.

Moderated by  Issh, Larian_QA, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard