Larian Studios
Posted By: scotty Excellent game BUT.................. - 15/12/11 10:08 PM
I am so annoyed. I rented a room in the ducal inn in Verdistis and then hours and hours later I bought my own house in Verdistis. I went back to my old room in the inn to collect my stuff I had stored in the chest and the chest had disappeared!!! basically it seems I didnt have my room anymore because I bought a house so i lost everything in the chest including my dragon shield and 2 holy item parts I had stored... frown so yeah thats really annoying. On top of that I had to lockpick my new house! you would think they would give you a set of keys..

My only other complaint so far is that the game is really very easy. I'm a level 36 survivor but have kinda evolved into a battlemage type character and can blitz through everything. Actually the 3 "different" classes are pretty much identical, they didn't need them. I think some of the skills are way overpowered as well not that I even need to use them anyway...

BUT it's still really enjoyable and so far I really like the game, the best single player action RPG I have played actually.

Oh and the music is great, some of the best I have heard since Planescape Torment.
Posted By: Raze Re: Excellent game BUT.................. - 16/12/11 12:35 AM

If you re-rent the room in the Ducal inn (don't recall how long you get access) your items should be put back. There is a way to permanently loose items (at least in the disk version), by storing things in the chest in the house in Verdistis before completing the quest that makes it available to buy.

I'm pretty sure you should have gotten a key when you bought Malcolm's house.

The game does get easier as it progresses, but you can stop distributing stat or skill points, or remove pieces of equipment, etc, to keep a bit of a challenge, if increasing the difficulty is not enough. Some skills are over-powered, though a couple were modified in the download version to reduce that.

differences between classes (minor spoilers)

The Divine Divinity Music Extractor (72KB) by BrainBox will extract all of the music in the game, at least for the disk version (the download version changed the path, though it wouldn't be terribly hard to move the sound file to the expected path temporarily; see DD music). You will need an audio player with ogg format support, such as Zinf or Winamp.
Alternately, the composer Kirill Pokrovsky has the DD soundtrack (and more) on his website in mp3 format. If you check out the D2:ED music (which is similar to the DD/BD music), be warned that the game description at the bottom of the page is quite detailed, and goes into key plot points near and at the end of the game.

Welcome to the forum. wave
Posted By: scotty Re: Excellent game BUT.................. - 16/12/11 02:10 AM
Thanks! You know I was going to try to re-rent and you are right, I have got my things back smile

I was playing as an archer for a bit but he isn't that effective now as he was earlier in the game (mostly thanks to poison weapon). I haven't come across any great bows and damage isn't great (using "crafted bow of the artillerist"). I have no skill points in any archery related stuff though so I might pump some into that and see if I can make him better.

The path finding was the only other thing that is somewhat annoying but I can live with it. Also I dont understand how the shop keepers value stuff, some 5 slot charm items are considerably less than 1 slot items with similiar stats..they also tend to really value items with sight and hearing properties. Sight I can understand but hearing seems all but useless to me..
Posted By: Raze Re: Excellent game BUT.................. - 16/12/11 02:37 AM

The elven trader in the Dark Forest village can (randomly) sell decent bows. He can also give you the only unique bow in the game (with random stats, as usual, but potentially quite good), after completing a certain quest.

You can click and hold the mouse button down to direct your character, which is what I usually did. I rarely had a problem with path finding.

A couple times hearing opponents that were out of sight helped me prepare for the upcoming encounter, but in general there wasn't much benefit. Sight bonuses were great at the beginning of the game, but I eventually started rejecting equipment with that bonus, to keep my sight range from becoming too much larger than the screen size (the fog of war was helpful in keeping track of where I had explored).

There are relatively rare random attributes for items (such as the suffix 'of angels') which increase their value to merchants, but do not give any other bonus. This works best when you find such items and sell them.
An interesting find in the wastelands (near the end of the game), worth 50,000 gold (I assume the 'silver' part is what bumped the price up);

Silver Long Dagger Of Mater Warriors
Durability 10
Damage 9-31
+4 Strength
Posted By: scotty Re: Excellent game BUT.................. - 16/12/11 05:27 AM
yeah the path finding is just like if I want to get close to an item to move a barrel for example and he will end up trying to run outside or something..

just got my holy sword smile

[Linked Image]

I like it but the damage is pretty weak, frost is awesome though. I kinda miss the brute force of my chaos sword so I might reroll for something better (something I haven't done yet but am tempted to do with this)..

Also is it worth taking resistances past 100? Most of mine are near 100 except for fire.
Posted By: Raze Re: Excellent game BUT.................. - 16/12/11 06:12 AM

I reloaded for my holy sword until I got 71-100 damage and decent stats, then replaced it a couple hours later with the Sword of the Gods (found in the wastelands). I tried a sword with a Frost bonus earlier in the game (in the Dark Forest), and found it made fights too easy.

Once you have your resistances up around a hundred, you don't really need to worry about getting them higher. Additional resistance will help a bit (it is not a percentage), but there are likely other bonuses you could look for which would help more.

BTW, have you looked on the traits page at the description for your lightning resistance? I forget what value brings up the last description, but if you are close to 100 that should do it.

Nobleman's Sword

Durability 12
Charm Quality 3
Damage 71-100
2 Strength
4 Agility
6 Constitution
60 Magic
Life Drain(4)
Stun(5)
lightning Damage(5)
Spiritual Damage(4)

Sword Of The Gods - DeathBlow shakes the screen; had this happened more frequently, I would have had to re-load a previous save (or switch back to the holy sword).

Durability 24
Charm Quality 1
Damage 71-100
4 Strength
6 Agility
6 Intelligence
4 Constitution
4 Offense
100 Vitality
60 Magic
DeathBlow(3)
LifeDrain(5)
Posted By: scotty Re: Excellent game BUT.................. - 16/12/11 01:09 PM
I haven't looked at the lightning one I don't think but yeah the trait descriptions are pretty funny.

I had a sword with Deathblow(4) and tbh it didn't seem that great? I mean the (4) in Deathblow specifically just means 4% chance of it happening right iirc and even then it can probably be saved so not really worthwhile. Lifedrain would prob be really useful though on a weapon.
Posted By: Raze Re: Excellent game BUT.................. - 16/12/11 05:03 PM

When you are killing opponents in 2 (or sometimes 3) hits anyway, a 1 hit kill isn't really that helpful, especially when it kicks in on the second (or third) hit. Deathblow might help earlier in the game with tougher opponents (though presumably bosses are immune), if you don't mind the screen shaking effect.

LifeDrain is nice to have, at least in general. Lower levels of the skill didn't seem to be a huge help earlier in the game, though. By the time I got to the wastelands I had many, many restoration potions, and barely needed any for healing (I used 3 total in 2 boss fights, plus another couple earlier to refill my mana); Survivor's Instinct and LifeDrain were all the healing I needed for most of the wastelands.
Posted By: Joram Re: Excellent game BUT.................. - 22/12/11 11:40 AM
If you like using a bow and you've seen enough enemies (especialy Orcs) got killed within seconds via Poison Weapon skill, try "Elemental Arrows" ! smile
I really like that skill for a ranger! It's strong and good against many kind of enemies ! wink
Posted By: scotty Re: Excellent game BUT.................. - 27/12/11 02:47 PM
I completed it a few days ago! very good I enjoyed it but yeah I should have played on hard difficulty...the end bosses were a joke and died in like 2 seconds! though they would only be harmed with hell spikes or summoned creatures I think..I think the hardest in the game was that engineer guy.
Posted By: Joram Re: Excellent game BUT.................. - 27/12/11 05:48 PM
For me it was Josephina, but the last time I played to that point (the end), played it on hard is was satifying for me.

Reading all this about DD give a warm feel and the idea to start a New Game ... smirk
:hihi:
© Larian Studios forums