Larian Studios
Posted By: KnightPT How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 12/11/10 05:22 PM
I've been lurking on this forums everyday reading a lot of the community posts, most of them very positive and congratulating larian for their hard work, and in return we've had the pleasure to receive a lot of larian staff responses helping the community and giving out information for everyone.

I'm realy delighted to have this kind of dialog and relationship that i realy think every company should have, but sadly, don't.

I've been sugesting this game to a lot of people, trying to get my country gamming comunity to check it out and responding to their questions, and while i was doing this i was wondering, how is the game faring on sales? Are they happy with how its going? disapointed? will larian actualy prosper a lot from this big release so that they have more budget to the next project?

I know this is mostly very dificult questions for a company to publicly go forward, but i guess my curiosity got the best of me and i have to those questions.

So... is Dragon Knight saga doing OK on sales? and, was larianvault a sucessfull bet?

Posted By: Rhezuss Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 12/11/10 06:31 PM
My 2 cents on your question is that the game must do quite well but it'll do a lot better in the near future when gamers will start to hear more and more positive things about Divinity II.

This games deserves to do well in our nowadays unpolished and boring game market.

Like many peeps out there already said, including me, this game is a pure jewel. But sadly too many gamers go out on those so-called NA pro reviewers websites and read bad things about it (and those same reviewers give Oblivion a 9.3/10 and 6.5/10 for Divinity II!?!??). Sure it's all a matter of opinions but this game deserves to be with the best since it's one of the best RPGs out there.

I'm a little frustrated about this. Every game store here will have literally tons of copies of "big name games" (games from well known developpers) and when you ask them about a game like Divinity II they don't know what the $hit it is...and they have the insolence to call themselves video game stores...

Sorry i'm a little pissed...

But yeah, I think this game is doing very well and most importantly, it's players knows something about quality.

Cheers to Larian and everyone!
Posted By: Unreal Warfare Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 12/11/10 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by Rhezuss
My 2 cents on your question is that the game must do quite well but it'll do a lot better in the near future when gamers will start to hear more and more positive things about Divinity II.

This games deserves to do well in our nowadays unpolished and boring game market.

Like many peeps out there already said, including me, this game is a pure jewel. But sadly too many gamers go out on those so-called NA pro reviewers websites and read bad things about it (and those same reviewers give Oblivion a 9.3/10 and 6.5/10 for Divinity II!?!??). Sure it's all a matter of opinions but this game deserves to be with the best since it's one of the best RPGs out there.

I'm a little frustrated about this. Every game store here will have literally tons of copies of "big name games" (games from well known developpers) and when you ask them about a game like Divinity II they don't know what the $hit it is...and they have the insolence to call themselves video game stores...

Sorry i'm a little pissed...

But yeah, I think this game is doing very well and most importantly, it's players knows something about quality.

Cheers to Larian and everyone!

To be fair Ego Draconis deserved average scores. Yes it was a good game, but it's technical flaws are what let it down.

Dragon Knight Saga is a definite improvement and it deserves credibility and a bit of limelight to be quite honest. Larian have turned an average game into a good, no great, game.
Posted By: vivaxardas Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 12/11/10 07:18 PM
Well, I do not think that bugs or technical flaws determine whether a game average or goor, or great. You can fix bugs with a patch, but no patch can make a boring or not interesting game less boring or more interesting. Look at the market now (Fable 3, FNV) - even big devs have rediculously many bugs. For them with their huge budgets and an army of workers and contractors it is unexcusable. For Larian - it is OK, they were fixed fast anyway. D2ED was and is a great game, and D2DKS is a superb one. I hope more people will at last put away Fable 3 (which is a rather awerage game by my lights) and turn to D2DKS.
Posted By: Divine Avenger Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 12/11/10 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by vivaxardas
. I hope more people will at last put away Fable 3 (which is a rather awerage game by my lights) and turn to D2DKS.

I love the fable games but as much as I love them the day DKS was released I was down gamestation buying my copy then the moment I got home it went in my console & has been their ever since. None of my other games has had a look in since DKS came out & their unlikeley 2 have a look in in the near future as I'm having too much fun exploring & discovering every little change in DKS 2 play anything else I won't be happy till I know I've found eveything lol.
Posted By: Lar_q Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 12/11/10 11:28 PM
Considering the limited exposure the game's been getting, and the lukewarm reviews in some press for Ego Draconis, The Dragon Knight Saga is doing pretty well. We can track sales through the online activations (at least PC sales), and they've been quite steady over the last week. It's too soon to tell exactly how well it's doing, and for sure we could use some more reviews (hopefully they'll be good ones) to attract attention, but considering the limited PR we've had, we definitely can't complain. On the contrary, it's beyond expectations, witness that it's sold out already in several stores. We should be able to make a more definitive judgement in a couple of weeks, but at present all I can say is - whenever those of you who enjoyed DKS do mouth to mouth advertising in some forum it seems to have an impact. The more we get, the more we'll be able to invest in our next game, so please keep on doing it wink But in any case, you already had an impact, so thank you very much !
Posted By: KnightPT Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Considering the limited exposure the game's been getting, and the lukewarm reviews in some press for Ego Draconis, The Dragon Knight Saga is doing pretty well. We can track sales through the online activations (at least PC sales), and they've been quite steady over the last week. It's too soon to tell exactly how well it's doing, and for sure we could use some more reviews (hopefully they'll be good ones) to attract attention, but considering the limited PR we've had, we definitely can't complain. On the contrary, it's beyond expectations, witness that it's sold out already in several stores. We should be able to make a more definitive judgement in a couple of weeks, but at present all I can say is - whenever those of you who enjoyed DKS do mouth to mouth advertising in some forum it seems to have an impact. The more we get, the more we'll be able to invest in our next game, so please keep on doing it wink But in any case, you already had an impact, so thank you very much !

Regarding reviews, i don't know if you already had any contact with www.RPGWatch.com or not, but for a lot of people i know and enjoy RPGs that site is a mandatory daily stop. They sometimes do in-house reviews of some RPGs and they are normaly very very good reviews (good in a sense they are made by people who know what they are doing).

Not saying you should ask for a review but who knows perhaps sending them a copy of DK:S could open some doors.

I believe a member from this forums is associated with the site in question, but i'm not sure and i dont want to mention people who might not be present at the time wink
Posted By: Gwenio Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Considering the limited exposure the game's been getting...

Currently the background image for the Impulse Store home page is The Dragon Knight Saga box art. Not sure how often they update it, but as they do not upload new games on the weekend it maybe there till Monday.
Posted By: Libertarian Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 03:35 AM
I've never been big on digital distribution, as I much prefer hard copies; however, from an independent developer perspective, I can imagine that things like Steam and other services, including Larian's own store, are great things for the entire industry in general. I'm not a big fan of DRM restrictions and such, and they can usually trim down on that when you have less intrusive applications like Steamworks and such. I've seen too many talented developers put out amazing games via retail outlets like Gamestop, Best Buy, etc., and they failed. It seems like many gamers aren't satisfied with great games that don't offer the popular tropes in today's culture (i.e. multiplayer, first-person gun combat, etc.). Digital distribution has helped to being back innovation, indie culture, and the potential success for a larger palette of game design and different genres.
Posted By: Gwenio Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by Libertarian
... less intrusive applications like Steamworks

You are refering to the Steamworks that requires Steam to be installed right? Then it seems we have a diffrent idea about what counts as intrusive. Impulse::Reactor would be a better example.
Posted By: Snutze Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 04:04 AM
I've never been big on digital distribution, as I much prefer hard copies; however, from an independent developer perspective, I can imagine that things like Steam and other services, including Larian's own store, are great things for the entire industry in general. I'm not a big fan of DRM restrictions and such, and they can usually trim down on that when you have less intrusive applications like Steamworks and such. I've seen too many talented developers put out amazing games via retail outlets like Gamestop, Best Buy, etc., and they failed. It seems like many gamers aren't satisfied with great games that don't offer the popular tropes in today's culture (i.e. multiplayer, first-person gun combat, etc.). Digital distribution has helped to being back innovation, indie culture, and the potential success for a larger palette of game design and different genres.

Personnaly Im all for digital less transport and more money in our pocket or to the producers. Beside main reason is environnement. A lot less polution no plastic/cd and no transport Love everything about it
Posted By: Snutze Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 04:05 AM
Originally Posted by Snutze

Personnaly Im all for digital less transport and more money in our pocket or to the producers. Beside main reason is environnement. A lot less polution no plastic/cd and no transport Love everything about it

Anyway what matters is your cd key thats mainly what your paying for :P
Posted By: Bam Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 05:04 AM
To be honest I never even beat Ego Draconis, I was having some technical difficulties with it and to be honest I lost interest.

I've been skimming around on the reviews for this game and most of them are pretty positive, and when I heard it featured a remastered version of Ego Draconis including the expansion I decided I would buy the game from steam. It's downloading right now, so I will give it another go.

One thing I hate is buying a game and never getting around to beating it, so hopefully this time around I'll beat Ego Draconis and Flames of Vengeance.
Posted By: Triple H Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 05:29 AM
Just emphasizing what Bam stated, I had never heard of this game, or was even aware of it being remastered, ect, until it popped up on Steam as I closed a game. After a little poking around to find out about it, I ended up buying the dragon knight saga and having as good as (if not better) time than playing Dragon Age. So hooray for Steam, and in my humble opinion, Larian should definitely invest in those Steam adds.
Posted By: Paris Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 05:49 AM
The guys and girls at Larian Studios seem to be very nice people and I hope they do really, really well.
I also have my selfish reasons, I really like their work and want to see lots more from them. rpg007

Larian Studios is one of a shrinking number of game developers that can still sell you a game that is worth every penny.
Posted By: Divine Avenger Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Paris
The guys and girls at Larian Studios seem to be very nice people and I hope they do really, really well.
I also have my selfish reasons, I really like their work and want to see lots more from them. rpg007

Larian Studios is one of a shrinking number of game developers that can still sell you a game that is worth every penny.

yes I agree their arn't many game developers left that listen to what the fans want anymore, most developers are just interested in the money & will rush a game just to get sales. This world drives me damb well crazy, everyone is so focused on money that that forget what really matters their hearts are so consumed be greed that it's reflected in the things that make. TV's used to be built to last I still own my first TV I had as a kid I've had it for about 15 years & it still works I bought a new TV because of the whole digital switch over & the new tv lasted 1 month past the 3 year guarentee. Which just go's to show how bad things have gotten in this greedy uncaring world.

It makes me so mad to see that the few decent companys left are being bought up & pushed out of the markets by the money grabbers. Every time a company offers a good service or product that go's more in the interest of the Buyer rather than the seller thay are always conviniantley removed from the picture I hope the likes of EA & Microsoft go bloody bankrupt money grabbing back stabbing distroyers of all that is good in the gaming community. Microsofts Brat attack is what distryed Final Fantasy XIII, XIII was originaley disigend for the PS3 & was going 2 be on multipal discs but microsoft had a brat attack & did'nt want to spend money on a game that had multipl discs so thay forced Square enix to cut it in half hence the whole Final Fantasy vs XIII. Damb those idiots at Microsoft, the only reason I even own an xbox is because of Halo I hope thay loose at least 90% of what thay have maybe it will humble them a little & force them 2 see their acting like a bunch of idiots.
Posted By: karmamule Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 03:37 PM
I had downloaded and started playing the original Divinity II, but had got distracted at the time and never got very far. I did have a positive impression of the game, and recently went to start playing again when I noticed that Dragon Knight Saga was coming out, so I decided to wait.

I got distracted again (this time by Minecraft, OMG what a great game, but that's another story...), but wanted a break from the 8-bit type graphics of Minecraft, and when looking at my Steam list of games thought "Oh yeah, I wonder if the Divinity remastering is out yet?". Much to my joy it is, and I'm downloading it now! I'm very excited to dive into Divinity again, and all the positive comments I'm seeing regarding it are a welcome sight. I hope Larian does very well with DKS, and should be playing it soon!
Posted By: Dungeon Master Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 03:45 PM
Have fun karmamule and may you enjoy as much as we do!

Welcome to the forums. smile
Posted By: Divine Avenger Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 13/11/10 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by karmamule
I had downloaded and started playing the original Divinity II, but had got distracted at the time and never got very far.

SACRILEGE

how could you get distracted from such an awsome game
Posted By: Gwenio Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 14/11/10 07:33 AM
DKS has moved up to the second page on Impulse when you have it show all games and sort by 'popularity' (which has to do with how many people are buying it over some period of time, not sure exactly how it is calculated).
Posted By: KnightPT Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 14/11/10 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Gwenio
DKS has moved up to the second page on Impulse when you have it show all games and sort by 'popularity' (which has to do with how many people are buying it over some period of time, not sure exactly how it is calculated).

Just noticed that DK:S doesnt have one single "rating" on impulse, would help if anyone who buys on impulse actualy gives it a score so that is shows some stars in it smile
Posted By: Gwenio Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 14/11/10 02:58 PM
From past experience, the game ratings need to reach a critical mass before it will show a rating. On the other hand, for getting it to show up near the front of the list the rating is not as useful (though it may be better for showing it is a good game) as 5-star rating go out to at least page five if all games are shown.
Posted By: fatboy Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 14/11/10 07:26 PM
alright time for my rating. ima give it a 9 would have been a 10 but the game does have a few minor glitchs the pop up time to time. But i have beat risen and gothic and well none compair to this game. Been having a blast playing it and the dev's did a Excellent job. im still beating the first part (25 hours in n im in the fdors or however ya spell it) and i still got the expansion to play. this game has already went past the time it took me to beat risen and gothic 4 ( 20 hours). So id say well worth the investment. I'll certainly be looking forward to more Divinity games. as for those curious. Graphics are very VERY nice (maxed) and gameplay is alot of fun. storyline is excellent and the class mix up you can do is just epic! haha im a tank/necromancer XD After this game is beat. Would love to find out if this company makes other RPG's as well erm im kinda obessed withem hehe. anyhow good job with the game and looking forward to seeing more ofem.
Posted By: Libertarian Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 14/11/10 07:31 PM
... less intrusive applications like Steamworks

You are refering to the Steamworks that requires Steam to be installed right? Then it seems we have a diffrent idea about what counts as intrusive. Impulse::Reactor would be a better example.

Steam is a great service that has yet to fail me, thus I don't find Steamworks to be intrusive at all. I've had every game on there since a little bit after Half-Life 2's launch, and I've never had a single problem with any of the DRM that's been offered.
Posted By: DarkShrike Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 15/11/10 02:20 PM
I hope that it is and continues to do fantastic. I haven't played very far into the game yet (lack of time frown ) and really don't deserve to descend into a sort of fan-boyish tizzy but the production values of this game... Wow! I've been proclaiming the virtues of it to all of my friends but I'm still waiting to see if any of them bite.

If they don't.... Well Christmas is coming and it is foreseeable that a couple of them will find they have a copy of it anyway wink

This game needs to do incredibly well. I want more, more, more!!

Plus I still need to work Divine Divinity and Beyond into my schedule somehow...
Posted By: Gwenio Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 15/11/10 06:01 PM
DKS is now the most popular RPG to buy on Impulse, having now out done the Game of the Year edition of Fallout 3.
Posted By: Gwenio Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 16/11/10 02:41 PM
The Dragon Knight Saga is now the 9th fastest selling game on Impulse, meaning it is one the first page when you sort the game by popularity. party

Now we just need everyone that has purchased it to finish all 100 hours of great gaming and give it a good rating...
Posted By: KnightPT Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 16/11/10 04:35 PM
The Dragon Knight Saga is now the 9th fastest selling game on Impulse, meaning it is one the first page when you sort the game by popularity. party

Now we just need everyone that has purchased it to finish all 100 hours of great gaming and give it a good rating...

Good stuff across the board!

Posted By: SonOfCapiz Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 16/11/10 04:48 PM
This game would even do better if it had good mod support. Mods increase sales, not to mention gameplay, longevity and counts as free advertising. Unfortunately some companies still dont realize this. I once saw a post made by the owner of the Nexus mod sites saying how Bioware was surprised that over a third of DAO users were mod users, which really just goes to show how much moddability has become a gaming value.
Posted By: Parrk Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 16/11/10 07:08 PM
I think the easiest way to blow a game up huge these days is to offer it for 50% on steam.

Especially with the holiday sales coming up.

I think that many lesser-known games have found that by lowering the price in that venue they are able to significantly increase revenues and exposure.

I think I read that the game Risen doubled its total sales over the weekend last week, and that game had been out for 2 years.

I know that I buy the weekend deal nearly every weekend.

I only happened into this game based on the coincidence that it was released in current version around the same time that I was finishing up with FONV.
Posted By: joeyfromspace Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 16/11/10 07:44 PM
I got ED over Gamefly last week and I TRIED playing it because I loved low budget high value RPGs from when I was kid. Games like Sirtech, TSR games etc. so when I saw Divinity 2 I thought of those type of games, made by a team of dedicated people with not a lot of money.

But seriously, it was too buggy and flawed, controls too awkward. I saw so much potential, but it was so frustrating I had to give up. Then I saw DKS on Steam and saw that it was a remastered ED. I downloaded and started a new game in ED.

OMG it is so much better. I'm not sure if it's the improvements between the remaster and original ED, or if it's from playing on a PC instead of the 360 but I haven't been able to put the game down. It's very hard relatively compared to other mainstream titles and I like that a lot. Though now I am in the mid-20s level wise and it's starting to get pretty easy.

I am looking forward to beating ED so I can move onto FoV. I think if I had played ED when it originally came out, I probably would have been turned off. I'm glad the remaster was available to me to try first.
Posted By: PsychoMoose Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 16/11/10 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by joeyfromspace
I got ED over Gamefly last week and I TRIED playing it because I loved low budget high value RPGs from when I was kid. Games like Sirtech, TSR games etc. so when I saw Divinity 2 I thought of those type of games, made by a team of dedicated people with not a lot of money.

But seriously, it was too buggy and flawed, controls too awkward. I saw so much potential, but it was so frustrating I had to give up. Then I saw DKS on Steam and saw that it was a remastered ED. I downloaded and started a new game in ED.

OMG it is so much better. I'm not sure if it's the improvements between the remaster and original ED, or if it's from playing on a PC instead of the 360 but I haven't been able to put the game down. It's very hard relatively compared to other mainstream titles and I like that a lot. Though now I am in the mid-20s level wise and it's starting to get pretty easy.

I am looking forward to beating ED so I can move onto FoV. I think if I had played ED when it originally came out, I probably would have been turned off. I'm glad the remaster was available to me to try first.

My reaction was

-The budget was to tight for the vision.
That why the bad review.A lot of option . Big world etc.
But has you playthrough.You notice it.

The game was lacking polish.It's felt like a Korean MMORPG.
Had it cut the game in half and polished the other half . The review would be much higher.

Posted By: StingingVelvet Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 17/11/10 10:00 AM
Glad to hear the game is doing well, it deserves it. You likely got more sales than activations too, considering many people will buy it and download it but not play it for a while, and people who crack DRM on principle.
Posted By: Morbo Re: How is Dragon Knight Saga Doing? - 17/11/10 02:03 PM
Bought Ego draconis and bought DKS. I like DKS better since it is just that bit better.
Sure the weapon enhancement is overkill but thank you for removing the force field in the fjords.

© Larian Studios forums