Larian Studios
Posted By: Lostsheep Changing names. - 03/09/17 08:46 AM
Is it possible to change a created character's name after starting the game please?

Thanks,
LS.
Posted By: Raze Re: Changing names. - 04/09/17 04:18 AM

I don't think so; the name isn't editable in the mirror in the homestead that can be used to redo the cosmetic portion of character creation.

You might be able to use the EE pak extractor (latest version download) to extract the save files, find the current name and hex edit the file to change it. Even if that worked, though, it would produce a 'tampering or corruption' warning whenever the save (or subsequent ones from that point) was loaded.
Posted By: Lostsheep Re: Changing names. - 04/09/17 08:32 AM
Ok thanks once again Raze, I'll leave it as it is.
Posted By: vometia Re: Changing names. - 04/09/17 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by Raze
I don't think so; the name isn't editable in the mirror in the homestead that can be used to redo the cosmetic portion of character creation.

I'm glad I waited for someone who actually knows what they're talking about as that would've been the first thing I'd have tried!

I hope they allow names to be changed in D:OS II, considering the number of times I've got past several hours' worth of gameplay before realising I forgot to change them. Roderick isn't really a good name for a small brunette woman.
Posted By: caninelegion Re: Changing names. - 04/09/17 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Raze

I'm glad I waited for someone who actually knows what they're talking about as that would've been the first thing I'd have tried!

I hope they allow names to be changed in D:OS II, considering the number of times I've got past several hours' worth of gameplay before realizing I forgot to change them. Roderick isn't really a good name for a small brunette woman.

----- but my dad so wanted a son! smile

I've had this happen too.
Posted By: Raban Re: Changing names. - 05/09/17 05:24 AM
Originally Posted by caninelegion

I hope they allow names to be changed in D:OS II, considering the number of times I've got past several hours' worth of gameplay before realizing I forgot to change them. Roderick isn't really a good name for a small brunette woman.

My sympathies to you both, but don't you look at your characters' names while playing? And are some hours lost at the beginning really worth a wrong and maybe even irritating name for the rest of a game that lasts 60-80 hours on average?

Just curious, because I can't relate to this myself.
Posted By: vometia Re: Changing names. - 05/09/17 06:28 AM
I'm not very observant! And yeah, I've gone back and restarted when I've found something really incongruous that I overlooked near the beginning, I don't want it irritating me constantly the whole time: I may not be the most observant, but once I have finally noticed something annoying, I'll keep on noticing it constantly... funny how life is like that.
Posted By: caninelegion Re: Changing names. - 05/09/17 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Raban
Originally Posted by caninelegion

My sympathies to you both, but don't you look at your characters' names while playing? And are some hours lost at the beginning really worth a wrong and maybe even irritating name for the rest of a game that lasts 60-80 hours on average?

Just curious, because I can't relate to this myself.

In my case, I just kept going; not really sure how soon after starting that I noticed but, regardless, I wouldn't have started over to change the name unless i noticed it VERY soon.
Posted By: Raban Re: Changing names. - 07/09/17 05:15 AM
Thank you both for your answers.

Vometia: Yeah, noticing things all the time once you discovered them is one of the funny things about humans. I now it very well. smile
Posted By: hardy Re: Changing names. - 22/10/17 08:09 PM
[quote=Raban]

Just curious, because I can't relate to this myself.[/quote]

It might be irritating, but no, I don't think any name is worth couple hours of your life. And if you got a name like "s***m*d**k" you shouldn't be playing it in the first place lol
© Larian Studios forums