Print Thread
R
Redtax Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Hi there

I haven't been able to find the answer(s) to this, at least none that are in a single place.

I'm making a campaign in Dos2, but it is a pretty large one (currently mapped out to about 40 different areas with a long-term running narrative).
The issue and question is: Is it possible to run the first part of the campaign with my friends and then continue building the rest of the world without there being an issue when they load back in after I've made changes to it?
As I know that player characters cannot be imported, also I know that when a friend ran his part 1, and added his part 2, when he loaded in the game it had reset or used the save of when only his part 1 existed.

In simple terms, I'd like them to start playing, keep their levels and equipment, while when we're not playing I'm creating the rest of the campaign. Is this possible?
Or do I need to complete the entire thing?

Thanks

It is possible - you can load save game you made and continue adding content to it and when player will return you just can teleport them back to the place they left. Only restriction is these changes won't reflect on "prepared" campaign on which was created in prepare mode before starting campaign with real players. All the changes will be saved explicitly in the "active session" save game.

Rocks fall, everyone dies
R
Redtax Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Ok, so let me see if I understand this correctly.

So once I've started to GM a game with real players, I cannot return to the "Prepare Campaign" area to add new content.
This is because all changes are saved into the "active sessions". Am I thus able to load this "active session" as I would a "Prepare Campaign" session so that I can content?

This is the bit that I've found difficult to wrap my head around.
As it seems that if changes are made in Prepare Campaign and players load into that they are brand new characters again.
And if the save is loaded, the players have their characters (including loot & experience) but the additional content that was added while they weren't online is not there.

So from what you've said I can load the save from Active GM Session and add new content like scenes, monsters etc...?

Just trying to clarify it, as I don't want to start a campaign with friends just to find out I should have just finished the entire thing because now new changes are not seen.

Originally Posted by Redtax
Ok, so let me see if I understand this correctly.
So from what you've said I can load the save from Active GM Session and add new content like scenes, monsters etc...?

Yes, you can do that. Play mode allows to add content in the same way like in Prepare mode. So if you will load savegame without players, add scenes to it, save it again (if you don't plan players to join immediately) and next time you load freshly made savegame and players join your session they will have all the changes you did and their characters and equipment.

I can understand confusion you have about prepare mode and active session, but that separation exists because every active session is different in many ways depending on the choices players and gm do. So "Prepared campaign" should serve as barebone setup. Otherwise you will need to copy and adapt single campaign every time you want to start it with new players.

Imagine you have PnP book with the description of the campaign and basic scenario. They don't have every detail you need for the specific set of players because their actions can lead story in different directions. So prepare mode is the mode allowing to create such "books".

Rocks fall, everyone dies
R
Redtax Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
R
Brilliant thanks.
Yeah it makes sense now in that way.
Just wanted crystal clear clarification around the procedure and method needed.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard