Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#354055 27/07/08 09:50 PM
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H

One of the best things about Divine Divinity is the rich skill system -- it sets it apart from games like Sacred. I loved the fact that you could steal, pick locks -- and also that folks would get mad at you. I liked the faction system too -- in other words, I like how Divine Divinity incorporated more hard core RPG elements into an action-rpg feel.

I know that Divinity 2 will be in 3D, but I seriously hope the skills, etc., don't change too much -- that was a perfect blend in my opinion. I don't want it to be pure hack-n-slash -- I quit playing Sacred for exactly that reason.

Thanks!

veteran
veteran
I also do hope that the Larians cautiously preserve the charecteristics, the heart and soul of the original div , as also described in the "5th Anniversary article" Alrik posted in the other thread, and what made it unique as the fantastic mixture it turned out to be - the humor, the loveable NPCs (and at least a few of the more significant old ones we´ve grown so fond of wink ), the offering in different playstyles, the world, the GIC (Game Improvement Quests) that helped filling it and gave the player a feeling of home and close ties to his environment, the little neat and more personal quests and so on... - while translating it into a 3D environment that seems to be obligate way to do it nowadays.

Don´t make it a Gothic-in-Rivellon, please.

Evolution is the key - no revolution!

Look how Piranha Bytes tried the latter... - and fell flat on their noses, even losing their original IP in the aftermath!

All elements have to be carefully improved while maintaining the delicate balance of gameplay elements and creating a sound overall composition.

Anyway, i hope they know what their doing!
Ragon

old hand
old hand
It will indeed be a delicate balance... Rivellon is "home" for many of us in ways that just don't apply to other RPG worlds. To maintain the integrity of div and its universe, while implementing the technological wonders that have since massively raised the bar in computer gaming, is truly an onerous task.

And welcome to the forums, Hamsandwhich! wave

stranger
stranger
Those weren't really questions in my opinion, but we'll run with it!

I do have to ask; will this game be like The Witcher? While I found the game highly enjoying, I felt bored with it around ACT III and I don't want that to happen in Divinity 2. |: So, yeah?

I am not as informed about Divinity 2 like everyone else around here, so I'm sorry if it has already been stated. ^^; But I do know about the Moral Dilemma thread, which I found just excellent. laugh

When I find something useful to post here, I will!
Until then, go watch Dark Knight.
veteran
veteran
There's a lot of speculation, Neverstorm, but not a lot we actually KNOW about Div 2 for certain, yet. The Larians are still playing things very close to their chests.

Please click the banner...
H
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
H

Neverstorm -- I guess those weren't questions. smile -- but I was tired, and... well... you know. I stumbled across the first Divine Divinity just a few months ago -- I was blown away with how accessible it was.. but it was also like an onion -- it seemed to have endless layers. And the little things really impressed me. I *liked* the fact that I could interact with almost every object on the screen. One of my pet peeves with RPGs is you walk into a beautiful room, castle, whatever -- and there is only one thing to interact with (a chest normally) -- feels patronizing.

stranger
stranger
@Hamsandwhich
Didn't mean it that way. XD But understandable. And trust me, I liked how open Divine Divinity was, but sometimes it could get awful annoying with all the rotting food and the alike. It feels like you can loot it but no. XD Maybe it is just me lol.

@Elliot_Kane
Well, hopefully there'll be something to go by soon... right?

Also, I wouldn't mind to have a "Special Box" for the Next RPG, which would include the original Divine/Beyond Divinity games. ^^; That would be epic.
Though then it would probably take longer on production time, so yeah. I would like that, but it's a wishful thinking for a fool. ^^;

When I find something useful to post here, I will!
Until then, go watch Dark Knight.
veteran
veteran
Never know. 'Collected editions' happen all the time. Might have to wait a bit, though.

Hamsandwhich - welcome to the forum smile

S
stranger
stranger
S
hey i am new here on the page... but i have a few questions and gripes about divinity.

- first off Divine Divinity is an AWESOME game. very little i can say bad about it.

- Will there be a third installment of the Divinity saga???

- Beyond Divinity is a truly horrible game. it is nothing like Divine Divinity.... The concept idea was pretty original, but the actual game play is irritating and extremely boring. *for one there is not enough to do and not enough monsters to kill. *also being locked in to certain quest, no matter what, is frustrating. *the difference in leveling up between divine divinity and beyond is huge... beyond divinity is all messed up in that field. *the way actual combat takes place is bad as well.

- PLEASE take notes from Divine Divinity when creating your next game. (NOT BEYOND DIVINITY)

- i bought divine divinity having never even herd of it before.... it just looked interesting and WOW it blew me away. I was so excited to find out that there was a second installment i bought it right away... wow beyond is sooooo bad. i went back to playing divine divinity and never touch beyond EVER.
- I ALWAYS RECOMMEND DIVINE DIVINITY TO MY FRIENDS AND IN BLOGS OR CHAT, BUT TELL THEM TO AVOID BEYOND. MY BROTHER ALSO BOTH BOTH GAMES AND AGREES 100%

- i hope there is a sequel and i would also be interested in any other RPG's Larian puts out.

well i am done!!!

Support
Support

There will be a third game, which we've been calling DD2. There should be an official announcement about it "very very soon".

Did you make it out of act 1 playing BD? Near the end of act 1 the game starts to open up a bit, with more quests and freedom of movement. The next couple acts are primarily outdoors, with a lot of freedom. There are extra monsters to kill in the battlefields, and the hardcore difficulty level doubles up on some types of monsters (once you switch to hardcore, though, you can not lower the difficulty).

Other than having 2 characters, BD's combat mechanics are fairly similar to DD. Most of the time I had both characters selected (2 warriors or warrior/archer), and directed them to attack as one.

A fair number of people prefered DD to BD (to various extents), so I assume that had an influence on DD2's design.

Welcome to the forum. wave

stranger
stranger
where in the time line wil DDII play out
could it be before the divine one(lets not forget the dragon armor set)
the DD world has seen more wars than iraq if i remember correctly

Support
Support

ED continues where DD left off. Presumably it will be set about 20 years later, to avoid conflicting with the BD story line (especially if the main bad guy from BD is to be a factor in ED). Alternately, it could take place sooner than that if it is mostly focused in other parts of Rivellon.

stranger
stranger
Personally, I miss the feeling of Rivellon. It was that farmland, city, town, feeling that had me going. All the small different personalities, the reputation you had, and little events that took place. That had me going, the music, and the quests that didnt matter, but led you to greatness. That's all I miss, If you can bring that back stronger and better, then this would be a strong game that would rise in popularity.

Games these days are based around action and effects, about items and your individual physique, were a game like "Divinity II Ego Draconis" brings back those amazing stories you always loved, that rpg feeling, whether it was in that small house in the center of town, becoming a master of the thieves guild, or stealing a kids piss from a monastery, Divine Divinity had that aspect of what makes a roleplay game, I hope they bring it back. Not only is it a great story, but the character choices and options you have, they are unbelievable, with a interactive environment, though the 3 class limit wasn't much, you guys made the absolute most of it, not limiting the class to abilities, but rather physical powers and passives. And your class hardly effected the actual story and on-going adventure, a true master piece.

"My big question; will they bring this back, better, and stronger."

A drop in the hourglass, A Memory of the Zeitigist
stranger
stranger
I would just like to ask one thing. In typical Action RPG games like Diablo your strenght and chances of winning are mostly based on the hours you spend playing the game gaining exp and gathering new items. Is there any chance that this game wont be like this? For instance look at the game called Revenant where the skill of player should be most important to overpower your enemies. So will there be any manual fighting techniques or combos for each hero that can be used by players to show that you need more than your level and items to win?
Looking forward to your anwser.
Regards smile
Tulkas from Divine Divinity PL site

Last edited by Tulkas; 12/08/08 11:38 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Tulkas
I would just like to ask one thing. In typical Action RPG games like Diablo your strenght and chances of winning are mostly based on the hours you spend playing the game gaining exp and gathering new items. Is there any chance that this game wont be like this? For instance look at the game called Revenant where the skill of player should be most important to overpower your enemies. So will there be any manual fighting techniques or combos for each hero that can be used by players to show that you need more than your level and items to win?
Looking forward to your anwser.
Regards smile
Tulkas from Divine Divinity PL site

Revenant, if I recall correctly the Demo was bloody hard

It's one of these days...
A
veteran
veteran
A
where the skill of player should be most important to overpower your enemies.

Excuse me, and - regardless of what Larian will ever do - this is something I don't like at all.

No offense.

I always believe it should be up to the character you play, not the player you charact, so to say.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
veteran
veteran
I think in all games it's a combination of both, honestly. You can just 'brute force' your way through many games, but mostly you won't. You'll manouvre, you'll trick and trap and use guile - all of which are down to the player's skill. And you'll use everything your character has, so there's plenty of that, too smile

Even in Diablo it's about far more than just how fast you can click the mouse button.

old hand
old hand
I agree with Elliot. When a player lacks the skill, he just uses a walkthrough or cheats or any other kind of help to continue the game. I needed help with some games, cause I lacked the skill while at some points in a game, your character just isn't skilled enough yet to beat a specific goal.
There are very few games out there where it actually comes down to button smashing your way through the game, most of them require at least some skill or strategy to complete.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
where the skill of player should be most important to overpower your enemies.

Excuse me, and - regardless of what Larian will ever do - this is something I don't like at all.

No offense.

I always believe it should be up to the character you play, not the player you charact, so to say.

I'm not sure if you got me right. The player in the game is you. And - like in Revenant - that would mean it's alot up to you how you use your attacks (combos) which could be mixed with your hero skills and items. It's all about the manual posibilites of your hero which I welcome in any Action RPG. It's more about HOW you use your hero skills than WHAT skills you just use by a simple click.
Elliot_Kane is right. I just hope we will get good proportions in the game and lots of various clicking manoeuvres smile

Last edited by Tulkas; 12/08/08 07:05 PM.
veteran
veteran
I'm not sure ED will be an action-RPG. A lot of what I've read on here about choices and consequences thereof point to it being a 'True' RPG.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard