Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DeviRyuuD
While Divinity 2 exceeds in texture details, Risen graphics blend better together. Risen and Divinity 2.

I still havent cahnged my thoughts that DA: Origins scuks and i like Divinity 2 the best, i`m just facing the facts.
bit of a jaded comparison, no? Quite simple to make a bad screenshot of risen's scenery and a good one of DD2's.

Anywho, I haven't played DA yet, but I surely plan to, seeing all the good opinions of people.

4 good RPG's this year, who would've thought it?

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Inelinc
I played all 3 games, not finished Da and risen yet, but one thing that bugged me so much on risen were the chat dialogs and the speeches, Da and dd2 are so much better on that one.

Just the quality of speech and dialogs in risen made it seem like it's done by an amature flash game maker where they speak in their own dialogs.. seriously.

But on the otherhand Risen is pretty beautyfull and a large area to explore and down side of that is there are no markers or anything on the map, nor on the npcs that give quests or anything.

And the combat system on Risen lacks alot aswell, DD2 and DA:O plays much smoother.

In my opinion if you go for a game, get DD2 and DA:O for sure, if you finished them and your pc can handle Risen, play it if you have nothing else.

Im on 60% of of DA:O and the story and game play has been awsome so far, it only lacks freedom of movement, but it kinda blends in with game and you barely notice it, since you pick up quests and be on your way, unless you really like exploring then it might be a miss.

Also DA:O feels like a finished game, I haven't encountered bugs or anything like that and havent heard of other bugs then the DEX dagger one for rogue's but I play mage and don't have a rogue in my team that's active.

In Risen again the chat dialogs and what ever are not finished, you hoover above spikes and couple of more things like that make you feel it's not a finished game.

Playing through DD2 I encountered minor bugs, but it doesn't give you the impression it's not finished.

So in my opinion, 1: DA:O - 2:DD2 3:If you must, Risen.

You play DA:O as a mage
what schools did you take on the begining
For me primal(fire blast) and creation(Gylph)

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
veteran
veteran
Larian is clever since the US release will be next year. Hello RPG of the year 2010 award (let the other rpg's fight over the 2009 award laugh )

Not in the mood for cheese?
That excuse has more holes than a slice this fine Gorgombert!
stranger
stranger
never played risen
Dragon age looks to much like mass effect but i dint like dragon age at all (dunno why)
Love div
so number one: div

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Morbo
Larian is clever since the US release will be next year. Hello RPG of the year 2010 award (let the other rpg's fight over the 2009 award laugh )

Ahem
Diablo III
Arcania

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Raven.rpg
Originally Posted by Morbo

Ahem
Diablo III
Arcania

Mass Effect
Two Worlds II
Venetica
Fable III
Final Fantasy XIII

addict
addict
Diablo III won't be released be until 2011. The next Starcraft game is being released first, in 2010.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by veteranpants
never played risen
Dragon age looks to much like mass effect but i dint like dragon age at all (dunno why)
Love div

Mass Effect and Dragon Age are nothing alike. Radically different RPG's.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
Originally Posted by Raven.rpg
I played all 3 games, not finished Da and risen yet, but one thing that bugged me so much on risen were the chat dialogs and the speeches, Da and dd2 are so much better on that one.

Just the quality of speech and dialogs in risen made it seem like it's done by an amature flash game maker where they speak in their own dialogs.. seriously.

But on the otherhand Risen is pretty beautyfull and a large area to explore and down side of that is there are no markers or anything on the map, nor on the npcs that give quests or anything.

And the combat system on Risen lacks alot aswell, DD2 and DA:O plays much smoother.

In my opinion if you go for a game, get DD2 and DA:O for sure, if you finished them and your pc can handle Risen, play it if you have nothing else.

Im on 60% of of DA:O and the story and game play has been awsome so far, it only lacks freedom of movement, but it kinda blends in with game and you barely notice it, since you pick up quests and be on your way, unless you really like exploring then it might be a miss.

Also DA:O feels like a finished game, I haven't encountered bugs or anything like that and havent heard of other bugs then the DEX dagger one for rogue's but I play mage and don't have a rogue in my team that's active.

In Risen again the chat dialogs and what ever are not finished, you hoover above spikes and couple of more things like that make you feel it's not a finished game.

Playing through DD2 I encountered minor bugs, but it doesn't give you the impression it's not finished.

So in my opinion, 1: DA:O - 2:DD2 3:If you must, Risen.

You play DA:O as a mage
what schools did you take on the begining
For me primal(fire blast) and creation(Gylph)

I started with winter's grasp and mind blast so i could focus on single targets and when they get to close use mind blast to stun them so the cooldown of winters grasp would be ready after running away and you could fire again, though there wasnt much single combat, just the storage room with the spiders was mostly single target where you had no team yet. after that, I took spell wisp for more damage and lightning to have another spell at my disposal to damage with, since I use Alistair as my tank laugh but after you get far in you get most of the skills anyway smile

Don't play when you have a mushroom phobia! o.O xD
old hand
old hand
Yeh, the Rock armor > Stone Fist > Earthquake and Winter's Grap > Cone of Cold lines are really overpowered in the game. Cone of Cold has only a cooldown of 10 s, so you can just freeze a lot of enemies, shatter them with stone fist or let your tank crush them, then when the freezing has run off you can simply cast it again.

I picked those along with Mind Blast > Crushing Prison and had no problems. Sleep + Horror is a nice combo to pick up as well in the long run.

I switch party members a lot because I love their interaction. I think the dialogues & characters are the best in any BioWare game since BG 2.

Last edited by virumor; 09/11/09 08:36 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Kein
Originally Posted by KnightPT

Ofc, there are people like you that imidiately come and say "come on! its 2010, do something new!"

Ah, butthurt...
Guess I've found another DAO/bioware fanboy, eh.
Thousands of them.

Yeah, you did. I'm a Divinity fanboy, a DA fanboy, a Risen Fanboy, a Mass effect fanboy, a Diablo Fanboy... and i cant recall more now but you get the picture i guess.

I love RPGs, always did, and DA:O is a damn good one, as is D2.

The whole "fanboy" expression is kinda old already, but do feel free to use it as i take no offense.

Regarding this thread, comparing both games is realy hard as they are so radicaly diferent. For example, DA:O has beautifull graphics in my system (1920x1200 w/ 8x AA), but close-ups are HORRIBLE in some textures, seems like a 10 year old game sometimes, D2 on the other hand has much better textures, but horrible animations (imho). Voice-acting in DA:O is perfect, but sometimes they go a little overtop on so much dialog, while D2 is more "direct to the action".

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by DivineGamer

Mass Effect
Two Worlds II
Venetica
Fable III
Final Fantasy XIII

I really don't expect much from any of those.

Mass Effect and FFXIII are not my cup of tea
Two Worlds 1 sucked big time, so I doubt the sequel will be any good
Fable III is a console game, and if it comes out on PC, I'm boycotting it. In fact, I'm boycotting anything resembling Fable from now on. First hype a game for the best RPG ever, and when I buy it, turns out to be a pile of consoley crap with less content than britney spears' lyrics, then make the sequel a console game because PC gamers figured you out for the fraud that you are. And the next game in that abominable series will be good? If you love britney, perhaps. Fable is the reason Action RPG's have such a bad connotation.
Venetica will probably be good, but it's not much of an RPG. No character creation, strict storyline. Sounds more like a Legacy Of Kain-type Action-Adventure, really.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Libertarian
never played risen
Love div

I said it looks alike confused
I know they play different. But its like also with a squad, and talking to people making choses.
I liked it in mass effect but in Dragon age. feels kind of different.

Originally Posted by virumor
Yeh, the Rock armor > Stone Fist > Earthquake and Winter's Grap > Cone of Cold lines are really overpowered in the game. Cone of Cold has only a cooldown of 10 s, so you can just freeze a lot of enemies, shatter them with stone fist or let your tank crush them, then when the freezing has run off you can simply cast it again.

I picked those along with Mind Blast > Crushing Prison and had no problems. Sleep + Horror is a nice combo to pick up as well in the long run.

I switch party members a lot because I love their interaction. I think the dialogues & characters are the best in any BioWare game since BG 2.

On easy mode it gets even easier (doh) no friendly fire) but I mean, select your tank on pause mode, make him use uhm that templar skill that knocks em all down, and he should have aggro on all the mobs, get one mage to cast blizzard and the other one tempest (lightning + Frost storm combo) and then one of your mages can heal the tank from incoming damage if any after making the storms, it really kills alot of packs very easy.

Mages do tend to get over powered, specially when you are a blood mage like me it gives you a neat powerfull AE attack and can pretty much solo any groups by my self already.

Don't play when you have a mushroom phobia! o.O xD
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Libertarian
never played risen
Love div

I said it looks alike confused
I know they play different. But its like also with a squad, and talking to people making choses.
I liked it in mass effect but in Dragon age. feels kind of different.

They don't even look alike.

Mass Effect 2 uses the Unreal Engine 3, Dragon Age does not.

Mass Effect 2 is sci-fi, Dragon Age is not.

The gameplay is VASTLY different. Dragon Age is about pause-and-play gameplay, chugging potions, and maintaining the squad throughout battle. Much different and deeper in terms of squad commands and gameplay.

VERY different RPG's in every single way.

Originally Posted by swordscythe
Originally Posted by DivineGamer

Mass Effect
Two Worlds II
Venetica
Fable III
Final Fantasy XIII

I really don't expect much from any of those.

Mass Effect and FFXIII are not my cup of tea
Two Worlds 1 sucked big time, so I doubt the sequel will be any good
Fable III is a console game, and if it comes out on PC, I'm boycotting it. In fact, I'm boycotting anything resembling Fable from now on. First hype a game for the best RPG ever, and when I buy it, turns out to be a pile of consoley crap with less content than britney spears' lyrics, then make the sequel a console game because PC gamers figured you out for the fraud that you are. And the next game in that abominable series will be good? If you love britney, perhaps. Fable is the reason Action RPG's have such a bad connotation.
Venetica will probably be good, but it's not much of an RPG. No character creation, strict storyline. Sounds more like a Legacy Of Kain-type Action-Adventure, really.

With the exception of Two Worlds II, I expect all of those games to be good-great.

Venetica is definitely the next under-the-radar RPG I have my eye on. It's beautiful and it's from the folks behind Ankh and Jack Keane, which are 2 adventure titles I really enjoyed.

Last edited by Libertarian; 09/11/09 08:45 PM.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
old hand
old hand

On easy mode it gets even easier (doh) no friendly fire) but I mean, select your tank on pause mode, make him use uhm that templar skill that knocks em all down, and he should have aggro on all the mobs, get one mage to cast blizzard and the other one tempest (lightning + Frost storm combo) and then one of your mages can heal the tank from incoming damage if any after making the storms, it really kills alot of packs very easy.

Mages do tend to get over powered, specially when you are a blood mage like me it gives you a neat powerfull AE attack and can pretty much solo any groups by my self already.

I usually use Earthquake(knocks down enemies in a huge range) and then setup the combo you mentioned.

apprentice
apprentice
Well, they both have something in common. They both have problems that don't get fixed so I can't play either of them properly.

So I choose Drakensang. Atleast that worked

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Asaghon
Well, they both have something in common. They both have problems that don't get fixed so I can't play either of them properly.

So I choose Drakensang. Atleast that worked

Drakensang the dark eye is very good OLD SCHOOLS RPG

Just how is Dragensang old school?

...........................::ALIVE::..........................

DeviRyuuD(Myojinoir) Reviews here
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by KnightPT
D2 on the other hand has much better textures, but horrible animations (imho).

Issues with animation was fixed in 1.02.
Also, I disagree, animation in D2 is much better, just look @ Damian when he is talking with you or Zandalor.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard