Print Thread
#401880 16/01/10 06:09 AM
G
gimpei Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
I can't complete the imps council of 7 quest because all the imps try to attack me whenever I see them. I tried bypassing the imp in the tavern using the teleport hack, but when I finally made it to Antx although he is listed as neutral, the mini-map displays him as a red dot and I draw my sword whenever I click on him. Is there any registry fix for this?

Support
Support

What is your reputation? Do you have any quests left that you may be able to complete to improve it? (see Reputation-list-spoiler)

Is it just those 2 imps that have a problem with you, or are other characters neutral/hostile?

What version of the game do you have, CD/DVD or download?

It may be possible to simply replace the character data for the 2 imps in the data.000 file with that from a working save (see Reviving dead NPCs).

Check your messages (click 'My Stuff' in the top menu bar, then 'My Messages').

G
gimpei Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
I tried to fiddle around with the revive dead NPCs option and it didn't work. As far as I can tell some global variable has been switched making it so that all the imps are pissed off at me. It's as if I inadvertently hurt one with splash damage... My reputation is pretty high, over 30 I think. Also, I'm using the GOG version of the game.

Support
Support

Well, most imps are hostile; there are only 2 that you need to talk to.

Support
Support

Replacing both the GlobalVarsV and AlignmentmanagerV sections (the first two in the data.000 file) with those from my data file before the imp council quest will allow the game to load (either individually would crash trying to load) and fix the problem (Zaknadrix was friendly and I could teleport to the bee/wasp garden and recruit Antx).
Unfortunately the data around the listings for these two imps in the alignment section are the same, and there are no obvious mentions of imps otherwise that are not related to the wastelands. Practically there are too many differences to be able to narrow down the exact problem.

However, if you ignore the imp council member quest for now and complete everything else, then you should be able to just replace those two sections of the file and keep playing without much risk of conflicts. I left the imp until pretty much the end, anyway, to get the best effect from the jug in that world that gives you enough experience to reach the next level.

Oh, and a belated welcome to the forum. wave

P
stranger
stranger
P
WOW!!!!
I fixed the evil imps bug!

Is this an error in the GOG version of the game? Has anyone actually finished the GOG version???

P
stranger
stranger
P
My previous post only make Zaknadrix friendly. Antx remained hostile and the Council of 7 quest was still broken.
Here is the REAL FIX FOR THE EVIL IMPS BUG which allows for the completeion of the Council of 7 Imp quest.

This fixes the problem with both imps acting hostile and refusing to talk.

For these directions, I'm using the '.' to represent an hex value of '00'

Open 'data.000' from the savegame folder in an hex editor.
Search for "Zanadrix"
there should be 3 occurrences of "Zanadrix"
skip the first one, and look for a string similar to this:
"Zanadrix59.....Zanadrix.K"
overwrite both Z's with the hex value 00 (basically clear both Z's)
the string will look like this:
".andadrix59......anadrix.K"
now go back to the top of the document and search for "Antx"
there are a lot of hits so keep searching until you find a string that looks like this:
"Antx47.....Antx.K"
overwrite both A's with the hex value 00 (basically clear both A's)
the string will look like this:
".ntx47......ntx.K"
save the file

Now when you load the save game, both imps are friendly and will speak.
The council of 7 quest is now fixed and completable.

Hopefully Larian Studios will release a new patch for this awesome game.

Support
Support

party

Since I hadn't cleaned out my temp folder, I tried this in Gimpei's save (from the original 1.004 download version). The first procedure did not help with Zaknadrix, but the updated version did (both imps). You may want to edit your first post and remove that version.

The internal name in the disk version of the game is also Zanadrix, rather than Zaknadrix. It never occurred to me to try altering the names listed in the NPC section of the data.000 file... That must get them off someone's naughty list, or something.

I've only seen this issue mentioned twice, so I don't think it is a consistent problem with the GOG version.

Thanks for the fix, and welcome to the forum. wave

P
stranger
stranger
P
Though it doesn't affect any quests, I noticed that the two Orcs at the start of the Desert level are hostile when they should be friendly; Garth and Drox.

The Garth has a few lines of dialogue, but Drox also sells items. Here is a fix for when the Orcs are hostile and refuse to speak or sell items.

Fixing the Orcs, Garth and Drox :

Again, load of the hex editor.
Open the data.000 from your savegame folder.

Search for the text 'Orc drox186"
Ignore the first match and look for the second one which looks like this:
ASCII = "Orc drox186.....Orc drox"
HEX = "4F 72 63 20 64 72 6F 78 31 38 36 00 09 00 00 00 4F 72 63 20 64 72 6F 78"
Overwrite the hex value for the O's in both Orcs with 00 so the string now looks like:
ASCII = ".rc drox186......rc drox"
HEX = "00 72 63 20 64 72 6F 78 31 38 36 00 09 00 00 00 00 72 63 20 64 72 6F 78"

Now go back to the top of the document.

Start a search for 'Orc garth185"
ASCII = "Orc garth185.....Orc garth"
HEX = "4F 72 63 20 67 61 72 74 68 31 38 35 00 0A 00 00 00 4F 72 63 20 67 61 72 74 68"
Overwrite the hex value for the O's in both Orcs with 00 so the string now looks like:
ASCII = ".rc garth185......rc garth"
HEX = "00 72 63 20 67 61 72 74 68 31 38 35 00 0A 00 00 00 00 72 63 20 67 61 72 74 68"

Save the data.000 file
Run Divine Divinity, load the modified save and play!

P
stranger
stranger
P
I discovered another related bug.

The Dragon Patriarch becomes hostile after exiting the conversation.
Killing the Dragon patriarch before getting the ghost spell breaks the game.
Here is the fix to prevent the Dragon Patriarch from becoming hostile after exiting the conversation.

Open the data.000 file from the savegame folder in an hex editor.

Search for the text 'patriarch153"
ASCII = "Patriarch153.....Patriarch"
HEX = "50 61 74 72 69 61 72 63 68 31 35 33 00 0A 00 00 00 50 61 74 72 69 61 72 63 68"
Overwrite the hex value for the P's with 00 so the string now looks like:
ASCII = ".atriarch153......atriarch"
HEX = "00 61 74 72 69 61 72 63 68 31 35 33 00 0A 00 00 00 00 61 74 72 69 61 72 63 68"

Save the data.000 file

Now the Dragon Patriarch no longer becomes hostile upon exiting the conversation.

Support
Support

You can learn a level of the ghost spell yourself, or use the ancient pyramids to get across the poison swamp (hold a shift key down to move the screen focus away from your character, to be able to toss further). If you did not bring both teleporter stones with you to the wastelands, replacement ancient pyramid(s) can be found near where you start (screenshot 71KB).

S
stranger
stranger
S
Help I am having the exact same issue with the imps and can't finish the game. I have done almost everyother quest that I can do. I do not feel comfortable Hex editing yet. I have the steam version that is called Anthology . Is anyone else playing this same version having this problem?

Support
Support

The download versions of DD are all the same, whether part of the Anthology collection or not.

If you zip the data.000 file from your latest save folder and email it to me (raze@larian.com) I can edit it for you.

With the Steam version the saves (if installed to the default location) should be in the folder

C:/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/divine_divinity/savegames

In General, for the download version, each save is a separate subfolder in the '..\Divine Divinity\savegames' folder.
Under Vista/7, depending on how the user accounts are set up, if you install the game to the Program Files path, Windows can create separate savegame folders for each user, and then map that folder to the game's savegame folder (so it will just see the saves for the relevant user).
C:\Users\ %account name% \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Divine Divinity\savegames

In Windows XP/Vista/7 you can zip a file or folder by right clicking on it in Windows Explorer and selecting something like 'Send To | Compressed Folder' (or use 7-Zip, etc).

S
stranger
stranger
S
Hello there,

I am having the same problem with the Imps and I really don't know what a hex editor is...

I got this game from GOG.com and have enjoyed it so much, but now I can't go any further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Support
Support

You don't need to manually hex edit the hostile character name(s). See Jem's second post in the Steam discussion Imp Council Member for a program that will do so for you (you just need to run it in the save folder).

S
stranger
stranger
S
Thank you!
That seemed to work.

I don't play a lot of video games. When I do it seems the other players can be rude and not-terribly-helpful. It's so nice to see such a nice and helpful community!

I hope you have a great day!

T
stranger
stranger
T
So I have to hex-edit.
7 years, and still not fixed this bug? Oh, man.

T
apprentice
apprentice
T
Stop using GoG release of the game! Seriously, this bug was fixed in late 2002 for original game release. GoG release doesn't contain fixes added by official game patches 1.31-1.33[1.34]. Ask GoG to withdraw their release and put working one with official patches (at least 1.33) included. Or let them remove the game from their library altogether.

Support
Support

twillight;

See the link in my posts 2 above yours. There is a program to automatically do the edit.

Tarnum;

This bug did not exist in the original disk version of the game. The download version contains some of the fixes in the later disk patches (as I replied previously when you made that claim), and not others, mostly fairly rare ones, or ones with workarounds or fixes. The download version has widescreen and higher resolution support, as well as Win 7 compatibility fixes.

If GOG and Steam removed games with rare issues like this, they would pretty much be removing everything, and that standard would also take out the disk version of Divine Divinity.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard