Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've been lurking on this forums everyday reading a lot of the community posts, most of them very positive and congratulating larian for their hard work, and in return we've had the pleasure to receive a lot of larian staff responses helping the community and giving out information for everyone.

I'm realy delighted to have this kind of dialog and relationship that i realy think every company should have, but sadly, don't.

I've been sugesting this game to a lot of people, trying to get my country gamming comunity to check it out and responding to their questions, and while i was doing this i was wondering, how is the game faring on sales? Are they happy with how its going? disapointed? will larian actualy prosper a lot from this big release so that they have more budget to the next project?

I know this is mostly very dificult questions for a company to publicly go forward, but i guess my curiosity got the best of me and i have to those questions.

So... is Dragon Knight saga doing OK on sales? and, was larianvault a sucessfull bet?

apprentice
apprentice
My 2 cents on your question is that the game must do quite well but it'll do a lot better in the near future when gamers will start to hear more and more positive things about Divinity II.

This games deserves to do well in our nowadays unpolished and boring game market.

Like many peeps out there already said, including me, this game is a pure jewel. But sadly too many gamers go out on those so-called NA pro reviewers websites and read bad things about it (and those same reviewers give Oblivion a 9.3/10 and 6.5/10 for Divinity II!?!??). Sure it's all a matter of opinions but this game deserves to be with the best since it's one of the best RPGs out there.

I'm a little frustrated about this. Every game store here will have literally tons of copies of "big name games" (games from well known developpers) and when you ask them about a game like Divinity II they don't know what the $hit it is...and they have the insolence to call themselves video game stores...

Sorry i'm a little pissed...

But yeah, I think this game is doing very well and most importantly, it's players knows something about quality.

Cheers to Larian and everyone!

Gaming machine : Win7 Pro 64-bit | Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.7GHz | Sapphire HD 6950 @ 1536SPs | X-Fi Titanium HD | 6gb DDR2-800 | LG 23" LCD 1080p
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rhezuss
My 2 cents on your question is that the game must do quite well but it'll do a lot better in the near future when gamers will start to hear more and more positive things about Divinity II.

This games deserves to do well in our nowadays unpolished and boring game market.

Like many peeps out there already said, including me, this game is a pure jewel. But sadly too many gamers go out on those so-called NA pro reviewers websites and read bad things about it (and those same reviewers give Oblivion a 9.3/10 and 6.5/10 for Divinity II!?!??). Sure it's all a matter of opinions but this game deserves to be with the best since it's one of the best RPGs out there.

I'm a little frustrated about this. Every game store here will have literally tons of copies of "big name games" (games from well known developpers) and when you ask them about a game like Divinity II they don't know what the $hit it is...and they have the insolence to call themselves video game stores...

Sorry i'm a little pissed...

But yeah, I think this game is doing very well and most importantly, it's players knows something about quality.

Cheers to Larian and everyone!

To be fair Ego Draconis deserved average scores. Yes it was a good game, but it's technical flaws are what let it down.

Dragon Knight Saga is a definite improvement and it deserves credibility and a bit of limelight to be quite honest. Larian have turned an average game into a good, no great, game.

V
journeyman
journeyman
V
Well, I do not think that bugs or technical flaws determine whether a game average or goor, or great. You can fix bugs with a patch, but no patch can make a boring or not interesting game less boring or more interesting. Look at the market now (Fable 3, FNV) - even big devs have rediculously many bugs. For them with their huge budgets and an army of workers and contractors it is unexcusable. For Larian - it is OK, they were fixed fast anyway. D2ED was and is a great game, and D2DKS is a superb one. I hope more people will at last put away Fable 3 (which is a rather awerage game by my lights) and turn to D2DKS.

Last edited by vivaxardas; 12/11/10 07:20 PM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by vivaxardas
. I hope more people will at last put away Fable 3 (which is a rather awerage game by my lights) and turn to D2DKS.

I love the fable games but as much as I love them the day DKS was released I was down gamestation buying my copy then the moment I got home it went in my console & has been their ever since. None of my other games has had a look in since DKS came out & their unlikeley 2 have a look in in the near future as I'm having too much fun exploring & discovering every little change in DKS 2 play anything else I won't be happy till I know I've found eveything lol.

old hand
old hand
Considering the limited exposure the game's been getting, and the lukewarm reviews in some press for Ego Draconis, The Dragon Knight Saga is doing pretty well. We can track sales through the online activations (at least PC sales), and they've been quite steady over the last week. It's too soon to tell exactly how well it's doing, and for sure we could use some more reviews (hopefully they'll be good ones) to attract attention, but considering the limited PR we've had, we definitely can't complain. On the contrary, it's beyond expectations, witness that it's sold out already in several stores. We should be able to make a more definitive judgement in a couple of weeks, but at present all I can say is - whenever those of you who enjoyed DKS do mouth to mouth advertising in some forum it seems to have an impact. The more we get, the more we'll be able to invest in our next game, so please keep on doing it wink But in any case, you already had an impact, so thank you very much !

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Considering the limited exposure the game's been getting, and the lukewarm reviews in some press for Ego Draconis, The Dragon Knight Saga is doing pretty well. We can track sales through the online activations (at least PC sales), and they've been quite steady over the last week. It's too soon to tell exactly how well it's doing, and for sure we could use some more reviews (hopefully they'll be good ones) to attract attention, but considering the limited PR we've had, we definitely can't complain. On the contrary, it's beyond expectations, witness that it's sold out already in several stores. We should be able to make a more definitive judgement in a couple of weeks, but at present all I can say is - whenever those of you who enjoyed DKS do mouth to mouth advertising in some forum it seems to have an impact. The more we get, the more we'll be able to invest in our next game, so please keep on doing it wink But in any case, you already had an impact, so thank you very much !

Regarding reviews, i don't know if you already had any contact with www.RPGWatch.com or not, but for a lot of people i know and enjoy RPGs that site is a mandatory daily stop. They sometimes do in-house reviews of some RPGs and they are normaly very very good reviews (good in a sense they are made by people who know what they are doing).

Not saying you should ask for a review but who knows perhaps sending them a copy of DK:S could open some doors.

I believe a member from this forums is associated with the site in question, but i'm not sure and i dont want to mention people who might not be present at the time wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Lar_q
Considering the limited exposure the game's been getting...

Currently the background image for the Impulse Store home page is The Dragon Knight Saga box art. Not sure how often they update it, but as they do not upload new games on the weekend it maybe there till Monday.

addict
addict
I've never been big on digital distribution, as I much prefer hard copies; however, from an independent developer perspective, I can imagine that things like Steam and other services, including Larian's own store, are great things for the entire industry in general. I'm not a big fan of DRM restrictions and such, and they can usually trim down on that when you have less intrusive applications like Steamworks and such. I've seen too many talented developers put out amazing games via retail outlets like Gamestop, Best Buy, etc., and they failed. It seems like many gamers aren't satisfied with great games that don't offer the popular tropes in today's culture (i.e. multiplayer, first-person gun combat, etc.). Digital distribution has helped to being back innovation, indie culture, and the potential success for a larger palette of game design and different genres.

Last edited by Libertarian; 13/11/10 03:36 AM.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Libertarian
... less intrusive applications like Steamworks

You are refering to the Steamworks that requires Steam to be installed right? Then it seems we have a diffrent idea about what counts as intrusive. Impulse::Reactor would be a better example.

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
I've never been big on digital distribution, as I much prefer hard copies; however, from an independent developer perspective, I can imagine that things like Steam and other services, including Larian's own store, are great things for the entire industry in general. I'm not a big fan of DRM restrictions and such, and they can usually trim down on that when you have less intrusive applications like Steamworks and such. I've seen too many talented developers put out amazing games via retail outlets like Gamestop, Best Buy, etc., and they failed. It seems like many gamers aren't satisfied with great games that don't offer the popular tropes in today's culture (i.e. multiplayer, first-person gun combat, etc.). Digital distribution has helped to being back innovation, indie culture, and the potential success for a larger palette of game design and different genres.

Personnaly Im all for digital less transport and more money in our pocket or to the producers. Beside main reason is environnement. A lot less polution no plastic/cd and no transport Love everything about it

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Originally Posted by Snutze

Personnaly Im all for digital less transport and more money in our pocket or to the producers. Beside main reason is environnement. A lot less polution no plastic/cd and no transport Love everything about it

Anyway what matters is your cd key thats mainly what your paying for :P

Bam Offline
stranger
stranger
To be honest I never even beat Ego Draconis, I was having some technical difficulties with it and to be honest I lost interest.

I've been skimming around on the reviews for this game and most of them are pretty positive, and when I heard it featured a remastered version of Ego Draconis including the expansion I decided I would buy the game from steam. It's downloading right now, so I will give it another go.

One thing I hate is buying a game and never getting around to beating it, so hopefully this time around I'll beat Ego Draconis and Flames of Vengeance.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Just emphasizing what Bam stated, I had never heard of this game, or was even aware of it being remastered, ect, until it popped up on Steam as I closed a game. After a little poking around to find out about it, I ended up buying the dragon knight saga and having as good as (if not better) time than playing Dragon Age. So hooray for Steam, and in my humble opinion, Larian should definitely invest in those Steam adds.

Last edited by Triple H; 13/11/10 05:30 AM.
The guys and girls at Larian Studios seem to be very nice people and I hope they do really, really well.
I also have my selfish reasons, I really like their work and want to see lots more from them. rpg007

Larian Studios is one of a shrinking number of game developers that can still sell you a game that is worth every penny.

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Paris
The guys and girls at Larian Studios seem to be very nice people and I hope they do really, really well.
I also have my selfish reasons, I really like their work and want to see lots more from them. rpg007

Larian Studios is one of a shrinking number of game developers that can still sell you a game that is worth every penny.

yes I agree their arn't many game developers left that listen to what the fans want anymore, most developers are just interested in the money & will rush a game just to get sales. This world drives me damb well crazy, everyone is so focused on money that that forget what really matters their hearts are so consumed be greed that it's reflected in the things that make. TV's used to be built to last I still own my first TV I had as a kid I've had it for about 15 years & it still works I bought a new TV because of the whole digital switch over & the new tv lasted 1 month past the 3 year guarentee. Which just go's to show how bad things have gotten in this greedy uncaring world.

It makes me so mad to see that the few decent companys left are being bought up & pushed out of the markets by the money grabbers. Every time a company offers a good service or product that go's more in the interest of the Buyer rather than the seller thay are always conviniantley removed from the picture I hope the likes of EA & Microsoft go bloody bankrupt money grabbing back stabbing distroyers of all that is good in the gaming community. Microsofts Brat attack is what distryed Final Fantasy XIII, XIII was originaley disigend for the PS3 & was going 2 be on multipal discs but microsoft had a brat attack & did'nt want to spend money on a game that had multipl discs so thay forced Square enix to cut it in half hence the whole Final Fantasy vs XIII. Damb those idiots at Microsoft, the only reason I even own an xbox is because of Halo I hope thay loose at least 90% of what thay have maybe it will humble them a little & force them 2 see their acting like a bunch of idiots.

Last edited by Divine Avenger; 13/11/10 09:23 AM.
stranger
stranger
I had downloaded and started playing the original Divinity II, but had got distracted at the time and never got very far. I did have a positive impression of the game, and recently went to start playing again when I noticed that Dragon Knight Saga was coming out, so I decided to wait.

I got distracted again (this time by Minecraft, OMG what a great game, but that's another story...), but wanted a break from the 8-bit type graphics of Minecraft, and when looking at my Steam list of games thought "Oh yeah, I wonder if the Divinity remastering is out yet?". Much to my joy it is, and I'm downloading it now! I'm very excited to dive into Divinity again, and all the positive comments I'm seeing regarding it are a welcome sight. I hope Larian does very well with DKS, and should be playing it soon!

Regard all phenomena as dreams.
Have fun karmamule and may you enjoy as much as we do!

Welcome to the forums. smile

Divinity II: XBOX 360
Region: PAL (UK)
Display: 1080i HDMI PC
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by karmamule
I had downloaded and started playing the original Divinity II, but had got distracted at the time and never got very far.

SACRILEGE

how could you get distracted from such an awsome game

enthusiast
enthusiast
DKS has moved up to the second page on Impulse when you have it show all games and sort by 'popularity' (which has to do with how many people are buying it over some period of time, not sure exactly how it is calculated).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard