Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Support
Support

In Windows Explorer, you can browse to the '..\Beyond Divinity\Static' folder to view the 'intro.mpg' video. Rename that file and the game will skip playing it on startup. That may not help (it did in a couple cases of a crash after the video: see here), but it will at least remove a step each time you try the game.

Someone else had a problem with the game automatically minimizing during the intro movie and crashing if they tried to maximize it (BattleFields N00b ?), which was fixed by a Windows patch for XP.

A few people with problems on startup could avoid it by setting their desktop resolution and the game resolution to be the same.

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before starting the game?

There may be some things you have not tried yet in the topic below, as well.

yet another "Game simply won't start!"-thread

With the 1.49 patch installed, you shouldn't need the DVD at all. There were no changes to BD with the download version, so I don't think getting it from GoG would help, unless there was a scratch on the DVD or something, and the install program did not report an error in some file.
The topic Crash on start up contains a file verification method you could try.

stranger
stranger
Well I finally got it to work, I even bought a second copy at gog.com just to find out you where right that it wasn't the CD.

When I changed my screen colour from 32bit colours to 16bit colours, it all works fine.

So thanks for your support to all my whining. smile

Game works great now, and it's really fun.

Clumsy human, you hit your head!
How can you miss a haystack that big?
Support
Support

Glad you got it working party and thanks for the update.

I never would have guessed the desktop colour depth would cause such a problem with certain compatibility settings. Hopefully this will help if anyone else runs into similar issues.

veteran
veteran
sorry i'm new here and can't seem to locat the patch for divine divinity...could someone direct me in the right direction???

[color:"#33cc3"]Jurak'sRunDownShack!
Third Member of Off-Topic Posters
Defender of the [color:"green"]PIF.
[/color] Das Grosse Grüne Ogre!!! [/color]
Support
Support

question question

Are you posting drunk, or is someone else using your account/computer?

veteran
veteran
no it's me but i can't find the patch hasha

Support
Support

The Divine Divinity forums would probable be a better place to look for the patch than Beyand Divinity, or if you go to Larian's homepage and click on Support, there are separate pages for each of their games.

veteran
veteran
Thank you Raze, sorry I was trying to get the game going for my daughter to play. Thanks again. Glad your still here laugh

Support
Support

Ah, slaughtering evil doers... a good wholesome family activity. evil

stranger
stranger
Hello,

I strangely have some items who're equipped at bad slots in my hero. For armors they go in legs slot, shield in boots' and I can equip a second sash in a slot on side... That's quite strage. I made modification Raze done to get some more skill points but that's all (and I only changed free skill and free stat points).
I'll test with a new game without changing stats to see if I made a mistake.

If someone have an idea, I thank him in advance.
Good day,

Support
Support

Is this with the disk version of the game?
This is a known issue when playing the disk version in Vista or Win 7/8/10, which can be prevented by playing the game in Win 9x compatibility mode. Unfortunately, this only helps with a new game or a save before this started; once the inventory becames corrupt, switching to a compatibility mode will not fix or limit the problem.
Right click on the div.exe file in the install folder, or a shortcut for the game, and select properties, then switch to the Compatibility tab and select a Win 95/98/ME compatibility mode there (and maybe check off to run as administrator and disable display scaling on high DPI settings).

Inventory graphic placement bug

stranger
stranger
Thank you Raze.

Yes, it is.
Sorry for having asked this again ; I haven't found the other thread before you linked it.
I'll test that immediately.

But when I do that, I got heavy lags (screen and voices) who makes the game horrible to play...
I tested the trick of deleting actx/dynamic things.
I'm on Win10 here and got 2 screens.

Anyways thanks for your help.

Last edited by FfuzzyLogik; 23/06/19 12:40 PM.
Support
Support

Did you try Win 95 and the 98/ME compatibility mode, to see if the one you didn't try first would avoid the lags?

Did you try temporarily disabling your second screen, to see if that would make a difference?

Try the 4GB Patch to increase the amount of virtual memory that the game (or any 32 bit application) can access in 64 bit versions of Windows, to see if that helps with performance.

The download version of the game doesn't have this issue, so that may be an option (currently 90% off on Steam), especially if you would like the higher resolution and widescreen aspect ratio support.

stranger
stranger
Hello,

I tested with both, same "lag-bug".
Then I used the trick of the patch, its not perfect but "playable". Some slow down and some little sound bugs but no more bugs seem to happen (I was just before the guards in the corridor who leads to the arena with spiders and none of them gave me any corrupted item).
So I think the compatibilty mode is good to correct this bug. The 4GB patch helps for the lags but not perfect.
Correction : helps just a bit for lags but that hardens when "many" things are on screen...

I'll try to disable one screen but I won't get bugs of configuration after that ; I mean playnd BD is not the only use of this computer ^^
Well, buy again some old and "medium" game a second time for screen bugs, hmmm... Well... If there was a patch to make it more fun, why not. But there, nothing new, many things not very nice in game so... nope...

I have played the last weeks in my free time to some old RPG, including VERY old ones who were truly fun. Dungeon master (atari game) I had but never finished in my childhood. I edited some graphics and had fun to finish this.
I'd like to do the same with Bloodwych.
And I'm modding few strategy games old school to get fun.
Samely I was thinking "yea, why not BD too" ! But if it doesn't work I won't spend too much time with it. It lacks many intresting things in my eyes. The first opus, DD, was really more "open" and let you more "RPG" playing than this one. I'd be more ready to buy again DD than BD ! The ability system looks really less fun to my eyes even if having more than 5 levels is nice, veeerry nice (but boring to have VERY VERY few points to give in abilities !).

Anyways thanks aloooooot for your help !

Last edited by FfuzzyLogik; 26/06/19 10:09 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard