Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm pretty nervous - tomorrow we're showing project D to a journalist for the very first time, and I have absolutely no idea how it will go. If this were E, I wouldn't be stressed, because that one hits all the right notes (I think), but D, well, it's different. At this point, I'm full of doubts, and constantly need remind myself that ever since I saw the first prototype, my thoughts about D have been "you think it's fun - someone else will also think it's fun - you just need to be able to communicate clearly about it." But at this point, I'm already going to be happy if he tells me "looks interesting". What I don't have any doubts about is that he'll say it's ambitious wink

Anyway, it said small status update, so that means really short wink

Events of interest -

-We're getting our first distribution deals in place
-We're having a big steam number one party this week at an undisclosed location
-We know what our booth at GC is going to look like and what we'll be showing
-Working with David Freeman is a blessing and a curse because it caused a lot of extra work (but for a good cause)
-Farhang, our lead designer, is going to give an excellent presentation tomorrow wink Go Farhang !
-We're all going on a holiday (well almost all) real soon

Cheers

M
addict
addict
M
I always knew Game Industry should have reestablished slavery long ago... good holiday, for those who go !

And I also hope tomorrow will be fine.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
I wish you good luck, don't forget to tell us how it was.

veteran
veteran
Good luck!

You can always trust us to say it "hears interesting" wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
Best of luck lar and rest of the team.

veteran
veteran
Thumbs up for Farhang up and the whole Larian Team !!

And a nice holyday for all of you ... smile

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
old hand
old hand
Yeah and post some screens of the game!

A
veteran
veteran
A
I wish everyone of the team a good and healthy vacation ! smile

And good luck with everything ! smile

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
W
journeyman
journeyman
W
Bribe him. With cheap cookies.
Then if he writes a bad review tell everyone that you never spoke with him. Abandon project and send everyone that worked on it into gulag camps.

WELL it's an option, you don't have to include all those steps (though gulag camp part seems reasonable)...

Nah, I'm just kidding... cheap cookies will never pass. You'll need cash to 'convince' him.

S
enthusiast
enthusiast
S
Does that "showing a journalist" will mean we'll get new information as well soonish... or is he under some "You can look at it but not tell most of the stuff you see"-clause?

enthusiast
enthusiast
Bit late for good luck now; more hope it went well for you. As Silverdragon said, do we get to see any info now such as screens or even a name for the title or do we have to wait till August?

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

veteran
veteran
Awww....
I hope with this show-off some info (and may be even first screenshots!) will be revealed. I want to see project D live so bad!

Good luck guys, really.

Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So I think it went well. He didn't run out screaming out of the office yelling "madmen, I'm surrounded by madmen !!!!", and actually asked quite some intelligent questions - I guess we got lucky wink

There was some surprise, he was not expecting something that deviated, at least at first sight, so much from what we usually do, but when he got the complete picture, I think he liked it. We'll only know when the article runs of course, but I think we should be ok.

It was in any case an excellent trial run for GC, as we could see what parts of our presentation communicated the ideas clearly, and what parts didn't work at all, the latter evidenced by the fact that those were the parts he had the most questions about, just trying to exactly understand how it works. Those were of course the parts we already take for granted given our previous work, but clearly, we need to make sure that when we announce the game, we don't forget to mention them.

<grin>

Reading the above paragraph again I realize that it must read like complete nonsense given that you have no idea what I'm talking about. I'd really like to tell you what the game is, as well as what project E is, but I need to give the scoop to the press so that hopefully they'll be willing to write about us. They should btw. It's a cool game.

At least I can tell you what it's not, at the risk of ruining some expectations. In case I hadn't mentioned it before, Project D is not Divinity 3 - I've been reading some posts from people who think it is, but it's not. it's even a different style of game, though for sure you'll recognize many things that we put in our previous games.

It's not some casual game either, on the contrary, some would say it's pretty hard-core. It features several things I've always wanted to do, and I'm glad that given our past success (yes, there are a quite a lot of Divinities out there) we now finally have the chance to do them, because it's not something I could ever have convinced a publisher of funding.

Heck, probably the best thing about it, from a geeky developer point of view, was that our journalist couldn't figure out what genre it was wink

The origin of Project D is a simple mechanic, stumbled upon almost by accident, but one that works so well and has so much depth that it deserved a full-blown game to be built around it. It could become our biggest success ever or our biggest failure, but each day I'm getting more convinced that if we don't ruin it, I'll have tremendous fun with this one once it's done. Time will tell and am extremely curious as to what the reactions here will be. If you'll all hate it, at least I know most of you'll still like E wink

journeyman
journeyman
Well, I have feeling that Project D is not aRPG. Maybe its more of RTS.

Maybe the game is build around managing your Battle tower. You rule there, you hire henchmen, send them on quests, create items and creatures, build defense, help to rebuild nearby town and defend both your tower and town. So its hybrid RTS + RPG. Maybe there is even an construction of zeppelins as ingame element, so there is even some kind of arcade simulator, if you can fly with them.

Or instead of Battle tower you rule in some small town.

Am I close to the truth? smile

----
Project E - basically action adventure/RPG with dragons/monsters (dragons fighting on air and land).

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
From what gaming site or magazine was this journalist? I would like to know where to look for this article.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Farflame
Maybe the game is build around managing your Battle tower. You rule there, you hire henchmen, send them on quests, create items and creatures, build defense, help to rebuild nearby town and defend both your tower and town. So its hybrid RTS + RPG. Maybe there is even an construction of zeppelins as ingame element, so there is even some kind of arcade simulator, if you can fly with them.

Something like King's Bounty/Disciples III would be very nice.

If I remember it correctly, project D would also expand dragon gameplay from Divinity 2. Maybe there will be dragon parts as the "arcade simulator" thing.

veteran
veteran
You make me very very curious Lar_q !! wink

I hope to know more about D (and E !!) soon biggrin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
V
VoD Offline
stranger
stranger
V
Originally Posted by Lar_q

The origin of Project D is a simple mechanic, stumbled upon almost by accident, but one that works so well and has so much depth that it deserved a full-blown game to be built around it. It could become our biggest success ever or our biggest failure, but each day I'm getting more convinced that if we don't ruin it, I'll have tremendous fun with this one once it's done. Time will tell and am extremely curious as to what the reactions here will be. If you'll all hate it, at least I know most of you'll still like E wink

So, when can you start talking about it? Maybe do an interview here or there.

journeyman
journeyman
I am honestly more interested in project E [isometric sequel to the divine divinity :P]
but still, I'm sure that project D will rock because it is made by Larian [Yes, I'm a fanboy :P.

journeyman
journeyman
Aha, my mistake. I interchanged both projects.

Project D - (camera similar to DKS) could be basically action adventure/RPG with dragons/monsters. Dragons fight on land and air (some kind of arcade simulator). Maybe you have to care about the dragon, so there are strategic elements too.

Project E - it could be isometric aRPG Divinity spin-off.

Or this:

Originally Posted by Farflame

Maybe the game is build around managing your Battle tower. You rule there, you hire henchmen, send them on quests, create items and creatures, build defense, help to rebuild nearby town and defend both your tower and town. So its hybrid RTS + RPG. Maybe there is even an construction of zeppelins as ingame element, so there is even some kind of arcade simulator, if you can fly with them. Or instead of Battle tower you rule in some small town.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard