Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I have this madman running around who forces me to regularly update our facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/dragoncommander) so I figured I might copy/paste what we're writing over there in the forum too - here goes:

Post 1

Some really big decisions were made yesterday about the rpg & strategy gameplay - we locked down the character diamonds of the princesses , what political factions there will be & what hidden agendas will be at play. One thing is sure, you'll need to make a lot of executive decisions while on board of the Raven. To tickle your imagination - here are some of the links we looked at during our research:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_spectrum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_political_ideologies
http://www.presidentialelection.com/Political_Issues/

And this in a game about dragons !!! smile

Post 2

Oh, and our first cover of a magazine for Dragon Commander is going into print tomorrow smile

Post 3

And as the last tidbit of news for today - we'll be on TV tonight (in prime-time i.e. 20:15) on the popular French TV-show, "tout s'explique"
http://www.rtltvi.be/emission/tout-s-explique/7.aspx . They filmed at our offices a couple of months ago when we were still busy preparing for GameCom, and Dragon Commander still looked like a game from the nineties.

Cheers !

Hmm.

On the one hand, politics (yay).

On the other hand, still only talk about princesses and no indication on whether or not we'll be able to play as a female Dragon Knight (boo).

Still... politics, factions, hidden agendas and executive decisions do sound like good stuff. Provided we get to actually see effects other than 'suddenly everybody in the Kingdom is puking on the pavement'.

old hand
old hand
something tells me that if they are going to give us the option to play as a female Dragon Knight then we won't find out untill the games release.

They've already told us a fair amount of things that will happen in the game so if the option to play as a female will be added then they may keep it as a suprise for the day of release.

Originally Posted by Divine Avenger
They've already told us a fair amount of things that will happen in the game so if the option to play as a female will be added then they may keep it as a suprise for the day of release.

I dunno. As far as surprises go it would be a pretty lame one.

Maybe it'll be preorder DLC.

old hand
old hand
but it would make pretty lame preorder DLC as well, & I think that there would be more than a few p***ed off people if you only had the option to play as a female if you preordered it.

but it would make pretty lame preorder DLC as well, & I think that there would be more than a few p***ed off people if you only had the option to play as a female if you preordered it.

Yes, but preorder DLC is nearly always lame. Usually it's just overpowered weapon or some special skins. This way, preorder DLC would actually mean something because the ability to play as a woman is quite important to a not insignificant number of people, giving people an incentive to actually, you know, preorder.

It's quite genius, really. In a deeply stupid kind of way.

Last edited by WotanAnubis; 15/09/11 03:55 PM.
old hand
old hand
well I'd be preordering it even without DLC because I'm just outright adicted to Dragons & the Divinity Universe lol.

Still... political factions. I wonder if they'll be along species lines (humans/goblins/imps/undead/etc) or if some factions at least will consist of a loose coalition of various species (say, a group of environmentalists comprising of elves, humans and goblins).

Or perhaps it will be the Dragon Knights themselves forming coallitions based on some shared beliefs (say, one group consisting of Dragon Knights who believe the humans and goblins and whatnot exist solely to serve (and die) at their command and a number of Dragon Knights who think the lesser races should be allowed some rights and so on).

old hand
old hand
Well Larian did say that some of the people we can form alliances with will be other Dragon Knights but what races they would rule over remains to be seen. It would be cool if it was a verity, like the goblins you seen living in Aleroth on FOV it would be interesting to see Dragon Knights ruling over Elves Dwarves & Lizard men. I don't see why not though after all the Dragon Commanders goal is to build an empire & the other races are still apart of the world after all.

M
addict
addict
M
I'm pretty sure there will be at least a group of goblins vying for democracy laugh

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
This is interesting concept, but i hope that it won't be too complicated, otherwise it would break fun.

Originally Posted by pall
This is interesting concept, but i hope that it won't be too complicated, otherwise it would break fun.

I'm hoping for an Alpha Protocol-style "no bad results, just consequences" kind of thing.

Like... your decisions do impact the world and whatever story the game tells besides "Dragon Knights fight each other to take over Rivellon", but that from the point of view of the game mechanics the decisions you make are more or less 'neutral'. Sure, some decisions might make the game harder in some ways or easier in others, but they should be minor enough that only the most dedicated of obsessive min/maxers follow a strict path of 'optimal' roleplaying decisions to get the 'best' mechanical advantages.

This game the game might be complicated (in that many viable paths are available to you and you won't get to see them all in a single playthrough) without getting too complicated (in that you won't be able to screw yourself over so much through 'bad' decisions that the game becomes almost unwinnable).

That's what I hope anyway.

Or perhaps you might mean complicated in that the way the game actually works is so obtuse it becomes difficult to play at all. In which case, I don't think you need to worry too much. Although the GamesCom demo did show a very early build, the basics shown did look pretty intuitive.

old hand
old hand
lol you've been putting alot of thought into this haven't you Anubis wink

lol you've been putting alot of thought into this haven't you Anubis wink

What can I say? I think a lot about videogames.

old hand
old hand
yeah & that's a good thing because you've come up with some really awsome ideas for games keep up the good work. It's good to see that there are more people out there that are as crazy as me about video games grin

think one thing though you registered around the same time as me but you don't post here often & I've never seen you post in the chat section of the forums, how come.

A
veteran
veteran
A
Originally Posted by WotanAnubis
What can I say? I think a lot about videogames.

So do I.

But in my case, I'm rather at an philosophical level now. wink

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
old hand
old hand
My thoughts on Video Games tend to be more along the lines of the heart of the game more than the actual gameplay. I tend to look at the way it was made & I look at the heart that went into making it, every game has a message to send to the world & tend to like working out what message that is.

Take Final Fantasy for example, there are so many wise & wonderfull messages in those games it's unreal.

think one thing though you registered around the same time as me but you don't post here often & I've never seen you post in the chat section of the forums, how come.

Pretty self-explanatory, really. I came here around the time when I was playing Dragon Knight Saga (I think, pretty sure I didn't register when I struggled my way through Ego Draconis) and then, when I finished it, I kind of drifted away when other videogames grabbed my attention, as so frequently happens. And so I drifted away from these forums as well.

And then a while back I picked up Dragon Knight Saga again because I do think it's a good game and while I got back into it, I figured I might as well check out these forums again and then I noticed that Dragon Commander had just recently been announced. As you might have guessed, Dragon Commander captured my imagination, so... here I am. Speculating my ass off, expressing my wild hopes and grumbling about female PCs.

EDIT:
Take Final Fantasy for example, there are so many wise & wonderfull messages in those games it's unreal.

If we're talking messages in videogames, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is where it's at. It even has the decency not to tell you which message is the 'right' one.

I also appreciated the messages in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, even if they weren't exactly subtle. Jill will probably remain one of my favourite minor videogame characters for a very long time.

Last edited by WotanAnubis; 17/09/11 10:51 AM.
old hand
old hand
lol well your not alone in your grumblings about female PC's & hopefully Larian might just get sick of hearing us wine about female PC's & give in & let us have are way grin

I'll whine with you wink it would be a huge disappointment if we couldn't play a female pc.

But I would be surprised if they'd not include it. One of the things I love about Larian is that the male/female ratio has always been in balance. M/F dragon knights, M/F bad guys etc. So I think that they really want to make that an option, but because of the complexity of the story (princess) and other game mechanics it would be difficult to make it available.

But I keep hoping smile and whining :P

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard