Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
It's been promised for quite some time and it took us a lot of effort to convince people, but we finally received the greenlight to release a community patch that removes Securom protection from DKS, including the Steam version. It might take us a couple of days to get everything sorted out and prepare the patch, but it should be here very soon.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
up up up

M
addict
addict
M
Does that mean I can play without the DVD, or just that the Securom protection is out ?

Support
Support

Can't you already play without the DVD? I thought a forum member said awhile ago there were no disk checks in DKS except when it is installed, so no countermeasures in-game if no disk were detected (like there is with the original release of D2:ED).

veteran
veteran
How will it work for retail? A cumulative patch that can be installed on box version of DKS or a follow-up patch for the latest one?

This is good news (and long awaited by some) but there is a problem - the PC version of DKS is no longer available in the retail channel, so those who boycotted it on principle (I've never purchased a game requiring online activation and don't intend to) don't have the ability to support Larian's change of heart.

As such, how about arranging for a DKS release on GOG? Since they've announced they'll start stocking newer games, being one of the first should offer some welcome publicity.

Originally Posted by Raze

Can't you already play without the DVD? I thought a forum member said awhile ago there were no disk checks in DKS except when it is installed, so no countermeasures in-game if no disk were detected (like there is with the original release of D2:ED).

Was wondering the same thing since I never needed the DVD for DKS once I activated the game.

Support
Support

DKS is still available in Canada from Amazon, and the odd one shows up on eBay occasionally. A couple other places that people ordered from shortly after release were out of stock or out of business last time I checked (though that was a few months ago). Neither the US or UK got a retail release, but some game stores may import.

I thought the retail version just had a disk check on install, and only the download releases used online activation.

M
addict
addict
M
I had never tried before, but indeed it works without the DVD laugh

Support
Support

With the original retail release of D2:ED, if Securom failed to detect the disk, it could introduce various problems in the game (thousands of skill points given at level 15, early in the game you could be attacked by high level Rich Bandits, loss of the ability to jump, error code 42 trying to save, etc).

stranger
stranger
Fantastic news.. I hate having Securom on my machine, knowing full well it could cause problems at any time.. This makes me a happy customer. (And I own 2 copies of DKS + 1 copy of ED)

Originally Posted by Raze
I thought the retail version just had a disk check on install, and only the download releases used online activation.

Due to some "divine" coincidence. I had to install DKS because there is this... 1.2 patch for Skyrim *cough* that *cough* made me *ahem* look back at DKS and other games.

For Divinity 2 DKS PC AUS, after DVD install, when you launch the game it asks for the "key" then connects for activation. From then on forward, no DVD required.

IIRC when uninstalled it's supposed to deactivate.

Much like Sacred 2 so the ritual is familiar with me.

Lar_q Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand

D
stranger
stranger
D
Apparently, there was offense taken by this message. I do not believe you've provided this patch to all your customers, though.

I just launched my game on Steam and I just got the activation notice. Apparently the game even de-activated me and it's trying to make me go through some fucking hoops to play it. Hoops I'm not jumping through. Fix it.

Last edited by darkling; 03/12/11 03:44 AM.
Support
Support

I could call you something, but that wouldn't be very productive, would it?

Did you try starting the game from the executable or the Steam client? Is the Steam version at 1.4.9.70?

old hand
old hand
Thank you for the drm patch; can you confirm the md5sum of the exe (not zip file) ? I for safety i like to double check hashes before running downloaded executable.

old hand
old hand
That is rather harsh. Did you run the executable you downloaded or did you goof and run a short cut that reference steam ?
-
Btw if you goof you really owe an apology; and even if you didn't this is very not nice.

Originally Posted by darkling
I'm going to call you a liar.

I just launched my game on Steam and I just got the activation notice. Apparently the game even de-activated me and it's trying to make me go through some fucking hoops to play it. Hoops I'm not jumping through. Fix it.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by darkling
I'm going to call you a liar.

[Linked Image]

D
stranger
stranger
D
So what you're saying is they aren't distributing this patch to people who purchased this game through Steam using the Steam update system? Even though he said in his post that they were? I bought the game through Steam with the expectation that when a patch is released, it will be provided through the Steam update service. That's what it's for. And yes, the .exe of the Steam version is 1.4.9.70.

It's not called for to be extremely rude against Larian representatives at this point.

I for one do not want Larian to end up like Bethesda having to clean up entire forums because of extreme messages. If this goes on and more and more customers log in here and post "uncivilized" comments that not only annoy Larian's forum admin or representatives but also the community, don't be surprised if they implement a non-tolerance policy.

I don't want to see that happen here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard