Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#458076 04/10/12 09:12 PM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I did a playthrough of DKS on normal and I'm now doing a second playthrough on hard and I've run into a huge problem with the Raze fight. I'm level 32 and pretty well-equipped but the problem is that I pull the two levers, go after Raze, as soon as his health gets down by half he instantly teleports into one the two health chambers and regenerates. It doesn't seem to matter how fast I knock his hit points down and I found that he was doing this even though the health chamber was turned off. In one try I beat him to the health chamber and turned it off but he then immediately just teleported into it and regenerated anyways.

I tried everything I could think of but it doesn't matter. No matter how fast I run around pulling levers and then attacking him he just automatically teleports into a health chamber as soon as his hit points get down by about half. When you combine that with the fact that he's doing 400-500 damage per hit with his magic blast and huge numbers of level 26 minions pouring in the whole thing is impossible. Time and time again I knocked down his hit points and was close to beating him only to have him instantly teleport from the middle of the room into a health chamber.

I don't remember this fight being anything close to this level of difficulty at normal. Could this be a bug ? Am I doing something wrong ? Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Support
Support

I don't recall any bugs with the regeneration chambers not being deactivated, but there is not a long cooldown before they come back online. With my ranger on nightmare difficulty I had to run straight for the two levers, and then turn and fire an explosive arrow, jump over a couple walking armours and use a point blank splitting arrow to finish off General Raze (if I knew Way of the Ranger then, just a Splitting Arrow may have been enough). In one attempt I got hung up for a couple seconds when I tried jumping over the walking armours that got close when I stopped to get the second lever, which was enough time for the first chamber to come back on. Another time I was a little far away when I used the splitting arrow, took him down to just a few hit points left, but couldn't get another hit in before he headed to the regeneration chamber.

In the original release with my warrior I could just allow the walking armours to build up and have my creature active to block one chamber, to force him to run for the other, and didn't have to deactivate the healing chambers. I tried that in DKS, but he cheats... a lot (teleporting directly to a chamber, running away while under the influence of a Stun Arrow or in the middle of being hit by Thousand Strikes, etc). In DKS I had to get the levers and then attack right away; any mistake and it was easier to reload and enter the room again, since a build up of walking armours made it that much more difficult to get the levers quickly.

If you are not already playing on casual, you could try lowering the difficulty level.

You could reload a save before entering, and come back for this later, when you have better equipment and can do damage faster.

Raze #458078 04/10/12 10:57 PM
journeyman
journeyman
wow, you're giving him advice on how to kill yourself, congrats you win the internets :hihi:

Nom nom nom Humans.

My Divinity 2 - The Dragon knight saga Lets Play on youtube:

First Episode: https://tinyurl.com/dyxgb4c
Playlist: https://tinyurl.com/bm7jxn7
Venix #458079 04/10/12 11:06 PM
Support
Support

The identity thief whining about the cold? Have at him. rpg003
It's not cold if you can not even see your breath, but if it is too cold for him, he should quit complaining and go club a few seals to make himself a fur coat.
evil

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Thanks for the replies, folks. The problem I'm having is that you have to kill him in about 15 seconds no matter what. As soon as the chambers become active again he instantly teleports into one of them. You can't knock his HP down, then try and run to turn off the machines a second time, then knock his HP down some more. The chambers can't be turned off again until they're turned back on but the instant that happens he instantly teleports into one or the other. So it just isn't possible to do it any other way than by killing him within a very short period of less than 15 seconds, because it takes a few seconds jut to get from where the lever is to where he is in the middle of the room. I found that I actually have only about 10-12 seconds to kill him which just doesn't seem doable. I did a quicksave right after pulling the two levers, so I immediately jump to Raze and start hitting with evrything. But even with a 9 point fireball and epic dual weapons it still takes more than ten seconds to kill him.

I guess the only way to do this is to drop it down to normal but it just seems that this one fight is ridiculously difficult, it's hugely imbalanced given that Raze is three levels below my character. I can kill him pretty fast but not in 10 seconds or less.

Edit: I finally did it at hard difficulty but it was incredibly tough. I managed to turn the chambers off a second time by breaking away very quickly after a few hits, then going back and finishing him off. Don't know why it didn't seem to work the other times I tried, but at least I got through it.

Thanks for the tips once again, much appreciated.

Edit 2: Now if I could just figure out why I can't get my musician to play Rambler from Slavs a second time I'll be happy.

Last edited by DocSmith59; 05/10/12 12:58 AM.
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by DocSmith59

Edit 2: Now if I could just figure out why I can't get my musician to play Rambler from Slavs a second time I'll be happy.

First of all I'm not happy I can't hear "Rambler from Slavs" again !
Indeed, I've the same "problem" as DocSmith59 and I've tried it many times already ! Other music tracks I asked to play to Kirill he plays them (I play Xbox), but no 'Rambler from Slavs' frown .. sadly, because it's a very nice song/track !

Further on about killing Raze :
I discovered (after many try & error) that a Creature with a Ghooulish Head (Rush Attack & Fatality!) is most usefull help to kill Raze . The last time confronted with Raze I summoned the Undead too and used Thousand Strikes and my Creature make an end on Raze's life by using Fatality. I was at least level 30 . I also use "Charm" on Walking Armors to have the most profit (the more damage "we" can do the faster Raze is killed).

Next time I go for a Warrior Priest build and wish to try killing Raze on nightmare without the help of my creature, so :
"...killing your enemies up close and personal is the most satifying way ... or something like Gawain in Farglow said to me smile
And in combination with the Priest skills Charm, Blind, Curse, Fear, Summon Ghost, Hide in Shadows, ... and some Warrior skills this playthrough can't be missing his goal for me : having big big FUN !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #458156 09/10/12 03:44 PM
veteran
veteran
The trick with Raze is to get his health ALMOST to 50%, but not quite, THEN you hit the switches and try and finish him off. Don't try to take off 100% of his health at once, there's not enough time for that.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yes !! Kirill will play anything over again except Rambler From Slavs !! I'm glad to hear that others have noticed this. Thank you Joram.

I have now completed my second playthrough of the base game, this time on hard. I thought that the Raze fight was probably the most difficult boss fight. I had no trouble on hard with Amdusias, Baa'll, Stone or the others. Even the final battle only took one reload. But the Raze fight took a few hours. Like Stabbey says, you have to get him down a little, then quickly go to one of the chambers and be right there to turn it off the instant it turns on, then quickly hop over to the second one. It was only by knocking his health down a little after the first time I hit the levers, then hitting the levers a second time, then very quickly finishing him off, that I was able to do it but the timing was extremely critical and very frustrating.

On Hard difficulty there seemed to be a few problems with seriously overpowered enemies and overly time-consuming fights. At the point where I did the Down the Hatch quest I was above level 30, about eight levels above those power ranger guys who attack you at the end of that quest, but for some reason several of them were doing over 1600 damage per hit and one-shotting me over and over again.

But I also found that a lot of the boss fights actually seemed to be easier at Hard difficulty and required a lot less reloads.So it seems as though there are still some balance issues and I hope they give a little more thought to that in future games.

I would be curious to know if there is a lot of difference between Hard and Nightmare. It might be interesting to try it a third time on Nightmare but it would be interesting get some idea of just how much more difficult it's likely to be.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I was surprised that I managed to take Raze down in just a few seconds in DKS without him ever reaching one of the chambers; I seem to recall that the fights in ED were quite protracted and took quite a bit of faffing about to finally get him to die. Not that I'm complaining about the revamped difficulty of DKS, mind you...

J'aime le fromage.
M
stranger
stranger
M
My problem is I can't find the levers to shut the regeneration chambers down, can someone please tell me EXACTLY where they are? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!!! And thank you very much in advance.

Live life to it's fullest, you only get one go at it.
Support
Support

From the entrance to the room, the lever for the far left chamber is just to the right of it, while to lever for the far right chamber is to the left (both sticking out of the floor). Check out this video, starting just after the conversation ends: Divinity 2 - Ch54-03 - BOSS: General Raze. In this German video of the fight in Ego Draconis, the levers needed to be pulled several times, due to not enough damage being done to finish off the general before the regeneration chambers reactivated.

Raze #460824 13/02/13 05:30 PM
M
stranger
stranger
M
I found them, thank you for your help Raze, it's greatly appreciated.

Live life to it's fullest, you only get one go at it.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard