Next Thread
Print Thread
#455658 03/06/12 09:07 PM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
OK I was playing quite happily until this happened. I entered the battlefield, exited the battle field and then re-entered - this I did through the available controls it wasn't the game doing this just so you know this isn't the root of the problem. I then went to trade an npc and as I had the option of getting some stuff identified I thought "why not while I'm here" this is when the game froze. "ctrl/alt/del" to shut down the game and then this happens.

Beyond Divinity was not correctly terminated the last tme. It is recommended that all dynamic files be cleaned up and that all configuration data will be reseted. All savegames will ve still available afterwards.

Do you want to reset the configuration?

I click yes

then I get another error message saying this....

Unable to remove all the dynamic files. It is recommended that you cancle and make sure that the necessary rights are available to Beyond Divinity to remove these files.

How do I do this?

I am running Windows Vista sp2

32 bit

I have downloaded the available patch to allow Beyond Divinity to run on vista did I maybe miss another patch?

If there is a patch or something to install just point me in the right direction ;^)

Any help will be welcome

Last edited by greengamescat; 03/06/12 09:08 PM.
Support
Support

The 1.49 patch is the latest version.

Running the game as administrator may let the configuration program delete the file. You can also just manually delete the files in the dynamic folders (but not the folders); '..\Beyond Divinity\Acts\Act1\Dynamic', '..\Beyond Divinity\Acts\Act2\Dynamic', etc. If you still get an error that way (windows can sometimes refuse to delete corrupt files), try rebooting, or boot into safe mode to delete it/them.

The dynamic folders are used as a cache for the game. Files are created / copied there from the save game folder when you load, and written / copied to those folders when you save a game. The files will be re-created as required the next time you start Beyond Divinity.

Windows Vista (and 7) can move the dynamic folders and the saved game folder to the user directory, and map them to where the game expects them to be (so each user just sees their own saves, if more than one account is set up). I'm not sure if it will do that if you are running the game in Win 9x/ME compatibility mode, though (ie to avoid a potential rare bug under Vista/7 - Inventory graphic placement bug).

Welcome to the forum. wave

Raze #455663 04/06/12 11:05 AM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Thanx Raze,

The patch 1.49 patch is the one I have installed.

I did as suggested and manually deleted these files only to get this error message

Unable to write to the installation directory.

Please make sure that there is still free space on the drive where Beyond Divinity is installed and that you have the necessry access rights.

So I tried running the game as administrator and managed to load it without getting the previous error message which I thought was a little odd. Anyway it seems something else has happened as I no longer have any saved games to play. I can't find them on my system anywhere and I know I haven't deleted them. I made a new game and when I came off I went and looked in the save game file and this new save was there. What happened to my other saved games? Is there somewhere they may be hiding?

This is really frustrating as I don't really want to have to restart again even though I hadn't really got that far I find it a little disheartening to say the least frown

Support
Support

I don't know if running as administrator could effect where Vista puts the savegames folder, but it should be either in the Beyond Divinity folder or in the user path:

C:\Users\ %account name% \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Larian Studios\Beyond Divinity\savegames

You could search your hard drive for files called data.000, or something.

If they somehow got deleted, you might be able to recover them with a program like Recuva, but the more you use the drive they are on the less likely that becomes. You can check if Windows made shadow copies of the saved games.

Recover Files with Shadow Copies on Any Version of Windows Vista

Raze #455681 05/06/12 01:28 PM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Once again thank you Raze,

I have tried all of the above suggested and it seems that somehow my saves have just disappeared. I will have to live with it I guess and start over. frown

R
stranger
stranger
R
I loved Divine Divinity and wanted to play the sequel, so I got this game on steam only to have the exact same thing happen to me, with the exact same error messages. After a week of trying different things to get it to work, I gave up, bought it on gog.com, only to have the exact same problem. Finally, in a last ditch effort, I bought the game on Amazon, installed it, and got about 4 hours into it before this error message popped up and prevented me from playing it anymore. Fuck this game. I hate it! What a worthless waste of time and money. I hate this game so much.

Support
Support

So rather than follow up on your original post you re-bought the game?

The Steam and GOG versions of the game are the same, except GOG uses a custom installer (and I'm not sure if they added the latest patch yet). The Amazon version should be the same, as well (the original download version was the same as the patched 1.49 disk version of the game; higher resolution support was added for the 1.50x anthology version), so I'm not sure what the difference there was.

Raze #470778 02/08/13 11:11 AM
R
stranger
stranger
R
Sorry i didn't follow up on my original post. I tried the stuff you suggested but it didn't seem to help, (or else I just didn't understand it) so I just concluded that it must be a problem with the steam version. Sadly, I'm not very computer savvy. I can get it to run as administrator but all my save games are lost. They even disappeared from the savegames folder. I've never had so much problems with a video game before. I will just forget about this game altogether and try Divinity II. Maybe I'll have less issues with it.

Support
Support

Sorry I couldn't have been any help.

Were you checking the savegames folder in Windows Explorer, or the what was listed in the game? Running the game as administrator could effect where it looks for the saves, but it shouldn't remove any (and if you uninstalled the game it should default to keeping the saves or ask if you want to delete them).

Each save is a separate subfolder in the '..\Beyond Divinity\savegames' folder.
Under Vista/7, depending on how the user accounts are set up, if you install the game to the Program Files path, Windows can create separate savegame folders for each user, and then map that folder to the game's savegame folder (so it will just see the saves for the relevant user).
C:\Users\ %account name% \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Larian Studios\Beyond Divinity\savegames

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard