Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Derec01 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Hi, perhaps someone has solved this error? I just got the game on Steam, and it hasn't properly started once.

I've tried everything I've seen posted, including:

* Re-installing the game entirely
* Installing DirectX, etc. directly from the steamapps folder install files
* Modifying the startup graphics settings in the Documents preferences folder
* Verified the integrity of the game files

Nothing has worked; I still have no idea what's causing the problem. I'm attaching the Event Viewer text:

Faulting application name: DCApp.exe, version: 1.0.124.0, time stamp: 0x52565d18
Faulting module name: RenderFramework.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5254b045
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000d5f7
Faulting process id: 0x1cf0
Faulting application start time: 0x01cec96505c049e4
Faulting application path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Divinity Dragon Commander\Shipping\DCApp.exe
Faulting module path: E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Divinity Dragon Commander\Shipping\RenderFramework.dll
Report Id: 43cfc65f-3558-11e3-b2a7-f46d0490ccf6

Can't find a RenderFramework.dll file anywhere else on my system either.

Would love to play this game, but I'm not particularly happy I sunk money into this at this point... if there's any other info I can provide, let me know.

Last edited by Derec01; 15/10/13 05:35 AM.
Support
Support

Strange that re-installing or verifying local files didn't replace the dll. Did you shut down non-essential programs, like anti-virus, before installing the game?

I don't know if that is the only issue, but here is a download of the zipped RenderFramework.dll from my Steam install folder (which is identical to the one in the Larian Vault version install folder).

If replacing the missing dll doesn't help, reply with the results and/or (if you have not done so already) email supportdc@larian.com, with a description of the problem and the report.zip file generated by the Dragon Commander support tool.

D
Derec01 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I tried your RenderFramework.dll but it still happens. Strangely the support tool goes through all settings and gives me a green 'Passed', but then crashes at the very end of trying to generate a report, and does not generate a zip file.

I don't believe I have any anti virus running. I disabled Microsoft Security Essentials live monitoring.

The only strange thing about my setup is that I have two video cards, a Radeon 7770 and an nVidia 650 GTX. The former is my main monitor and the second is a secondary monitor, but it still crashed even if the second monitor is disconnected.

I also tried it with that secondary display adapter disabled in Device Manager.

Last edited by Derec01; 15/10/13 07:43 AM.
D
Derec01 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
I tried reinstalling again and double checking that everything is off, and no luck.

Additionally, to clarify, I definitely wasn't missing RenderFramework.dll; it was right there in the Shipping folder with DCApp. It just seems to be what the error is about.

Support
Support

When you said you couldn't find the dll file anywhere else, either, I thought that mean it wasn't in the 'shipping' folder.

I don't know if it would help, but did you try running the support tool as administrator?

The report.zip file should contain:

From the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Dragon Commander' folder
- 'Savegames' folder
- config.lsx
- graphicSettings.lsx

dx.txt (dxdiag report)

fileinfo.xml (A file containing a list of files in the install folder, and the c:\users\username\Documants\Larian Studios\Dragon Commander folder, with their sizes, time stamps and hash values. It may have been left in a temp folder, or something, when the support tool crashed.)

results.xml (the results of the min requirements tests)

If there are any crash dump files in the install folder (forget the exact naming convention, they have crashdump and the full date and time in the name), it wouldn't hurt to include them, if you wish to manually zip the files the support tool was attempting to compile.

D
Derec01 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Yeah, sorry, I mentioned that as I wasn't sure if it was finding a different similar DLL elsewhere.

I sent in the latter three files (*.xml and *.txt) to support. The first three files do not exist because the game has never booted up that far. That might be why the support tool crashed? (trying to hash files that don't exist?)

Additionally, I've installed to both C: and an E: drive at different points and I get the same error in both locations.

Last edited by Derec01; 15/10/13 11:17 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Could you try the solution where you disabled one of the graphics adapters, but first remove all files under ..\Documents\Larian Studios\Dragon Commander

this will reset all gfx settings to default before you try launching the game

the problem is most likely caused by the double adapters

could you send a report.zip (or dxdiag.txt if that fails) made at the time when only one adapter is active?
to supportdc@larian.com with a link to this topic

D
Derec01 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
So, I

* Reinstalled to C: while display driver was disabled, as well as Microsoft Security Essentials.
* Deleted files in Larian Studios\Dragon Commander folder in My Documents
* Still crashes
* Attempted to install DirectX from the _CommonRedist
* Still crashes, whether I start from DCApp.exe or Steam
* No files were generated in ..\Documents\Larian Studios\Dragon Commander
* As such, the compatibility tool still crashes, though I will zip the three files it does create and send them to support again.

I tried turning off DPI scaling, and running in compatibility mode for Windows Vista and XP. Still the same message. The Event Viewer information is the same as always.

Faulting application name: DCApp.exe, version: 1.0.124.0, time stamp: 0x52565d18
Faulting module name: RenderFramework.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5254b045
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000d5f7
Faulting process id: 0x16c8
Faulting application start time: 0x01ceca012d9b716e
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity Dragon Commander\Shipping\DCApp.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity Dragon Commander\Shipping\RenderFramework.dll
Report Id: 6d01f770-35f4-11e3-975f-f46d0490ccf6

The only other thing in the Event Viewer happens when I reinstall DirectX, which gives me an error:

Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity Dragon Commander\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity Dragon Commander\_CommonRedist\DirectX\Jun2010\DXSETUP.exe" ; Description = Installed DirectX; Error = 0x80070422).

-------

D
Derec01 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
RenderFramework.dll is size 320 KB (328,192 bytes) but that's the only versioning I have.

D
Derec01 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Additionally, I've attempted to use a graphics settings file provided by support. While the windowed mode outline appears, it crashes before anything renders.

D
Derec01 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Update: I seem to have fixed it.

I have no idea why, however the key apparently was to install the latest version of Catalyst Control Center for the Radeon 7770. This was the only change I made between an instance in which it crashed to one where it booted up fine.

Thanks for the quick attention nonetheless, maybe this helps with other cases.

Support
Support

Thanks for the update; I'm glad you finally got it working.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard