Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Mike P Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Was playing D:OS with my wife last night and she 'strongly requested' that I raise this topic on the forums so...

During character creation and subsequent play it seems that (as per the usual fantasy cliche) the the only style of Wizard armour consists of a large, bulky, floor-length, very unflattering bathrobe. I'm wondering if Larian us up to bucking this tired old trope and giving our Wizard characters something more flattering to wear as they have with every other character class. As my wife observed, "I want my Wizard to show some leg, damnit!" Yes, I have a very interesting wife. hahaha If Wizard armour absolutely has to be of the pants-less variety perhaps something a little more flattering could be on offer? I don't know... I think we're both just tired of the old cliche being repeated in just about every fantasy setting I can think of.

Last edited by Mike P; 16/02/14 11:10 PM.

If nothing that we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. - Whedon
I expect that this sort of thing will come later in development, but something shirt/jacket and pants would be nice. (It doesn't have to look like a tuxedo or the like; just a durable normal-ish clothes type of appearance.)

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It's traditional, alongside the pointy, floppy-brimmed hat with "wizzard" embroidered on it. You don't break with that sort of tradition lightly.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I for one am glad to finally have a robe smile

but i am pro choice

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
W
stranger
stranger
W
I absolutely and completely agree. I love playing magic types... Wizards, Sorcerers, Mage, whatever you want to call them, but I'm so very tired of them having to wear a dress. Why can't my wizard wear pants?

I'm reminded of this song... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z29Rk8814w

addict
addict
Aww..I thought the robe was cute on my lil water mage. If robes do change..please keep the classic robe as an options for us too please!

M
stranger
stranger
M
Robes, not bath robes. They have no where near the same functionality as a robe. Choice is always nice, as long as they keep them robes!

The thing I've always liked about robes on a wizard is the availability of pockets for all kinds of arcane trinkets and consumables, as well as easy spots to grab spell reagents (as a free action, note that I'm thinking of my days as various D&D casters, hehe).

They're also warm and they don't impede movement unless they're particularly elaborate or long. If they go down to your ankles they should be good.

Another major benefit is that they're very quiet compared to a lot of other clothes, so sneaking around takes much less additional effort.

In general, robes aren't a dumb idea for wizards. It's not just a trope. It's an incredibly practical option in some settings (I'm using D&D to make my case of why it should be taken seriously because it's what I know).

Now, A shirt and pants with a couple satchels or a pack and a satchel would do a good deal of the same things as a robe. It can just be more cumbersome, even if it is more stylish in some views.

journeyman
journeyman
Larian promised us robes, so there they are, i only hope this is not it -that they will add more variety to them

A
addict
addict
A
I've no particular love for toes covering type of robes that are currently in the game - they always look silly. Mages need to look cool as well. Like those wizards from Diablo III:
[Linked Image]

I liked that default wizard outfit from previous versions more, especially Scarlett's - simple practical clothes. In general, I think mage robes look better if they are more like a knee long coat. Something like this:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

But whatever, what's done is done. Armor clipping with hair still needs to be addressed though, badly.

Last edited by Aramintai; 19/02/14 09:24 AM.
stranger
stranger
Why is everyone behaving like they would HAVE TO wear the robe? My female mage is kinda proficient with swords too, so i, naturally, let her wear chainmail - no problem, the choice is still yours. smile

Fear the prophecy of Freakazoid!
I, for one, was behaving no such way. I was simply relaying the merits of robes. We just can't have options for every single taste and style though. It would never release.

Options between robes and jackets and shirts is just a lot of extra work for a minor aesthetic issue (I can't imagine anyone being that upset by having to wear robes that will probably not all be particularly bulky, presuming they don't decide to wear armor). It requires a lot of redundancy in stats and can cause the RNG problems in generating loot, because you never know which ones will be available in shops and we know they can't all be.

In general sometimes we just need to limit choices and decisions to put them where they matter more. I'm just of the opinion that this isn't a big deal like getting more original gear made is.

I am also pro choice, so I also would like to see variations in clothes.

But to answer her question…
If a wizard would really wear a bathrobe instead of a robe then I would wonder if he is maybe some exhibitionist of some sort.

Robes are actually quite comfy and attracts less attention then the noise ‘clink-clank’ of a metal armor. And in most fantasy games/worlds it is also not recommended to wear at least metal armors if you like to toss electrifying spells around as misfire always happen.

Besides…
In case your spells misfire you can much easier tear those burning robes of your body then a leather armor or other, normal clothes and in case you upset a mob of farmers because your fireball created accidentally an undesired barbeque with their livestock then it is much easier to gather up your robe, take your legs into your hands and run for your life as your trusty full armored buddies take all the blame..eh..beating…eh…responsibility of your unfortunate spell fumble.

Serious, I would also like to see more variety in dress code as long they don’t go the same way like in MMO games where all characters get more and more, as higher they get level-wise, dressed into more and more flamboyant outfits to let them look like they work in a guild of easy virtues instead for a mage guild.
With that MMO logic less armor would mean more protection which let me wonder why folks in those games do not around naked to be invulnerable.
Still…I am pro choice. So if some folks like it they should have the option for their hooker outfits as long the standard looks more like average dressed folks in the game world.

How about if fresh wizards dress in normal clothes and have to ‘earn their stripes’ first before a mage guild allows them to wear robes, pointy hat and two-handed staff to show their distinctive services as mage? It would make a bit sense why the big experienced cliché wizards wear a more representative outfit if they desire to do so or lend still in with the crowd by wearing something more fashionable up to Leather armor as long they don’t cast element spells and use any weapon they like as long they learned the skill for it.

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
as someone that plays a Magus in Pathfinder. my default armour is. a Silk ball gown topped by a lovely coating of Mage armour and backed by a generous side dish of dodge and dexterity. throw in a dash of Mirror image and a Caster class character is an evasion tank. and get to wear whatever clothes she wants.

But that is't the point of this thread. the question asked "Why do wizards have to wear robes"

A: So the enemies know who to geek first.

Originally Posted by Argol228
as someone that plays a Magus in Pathfinder. my default armour is. a Silk ball gown topped by a lovely coating of Mage armour and backed by a generous side dish of dodge and dexterity. throw in a dash of Mirror image and a Caster class character is an evasion tank. and get to wear whatever clothes she wants.

But that is't the point of this thread. the question asked "Why do wizards have to wear robes"

A: So the enemies know who to geek first.

Hmm, interesting choice.

Talking about cliches. When you attack an adventurer party then you might be well advised to also kill all females first in look how often they are the standard cliche for healers.:p

I guess it's up to game makers if they want to serve cliches or grow up and allow a wider range of variety in gear.

Ideals are like stars. We might never reach them. But we can set our course by them.
veteran
veteran
I wouldn't mind being able to wear non-robes as a Wizard, but I don't really think it's a huge deal.

A
stranger
stranger
A
As much as bath robes seems a little silly to wear as a wizard, they do make for a comfy garment to adventure in. smile

Originally Posted by Accionoctem
As much as bath robes seems a little silly to wear as a wizard, they do make for a comfy garment to adventure in. smile

Not to mention nice make-shift bandages for first aid, just better have some spare clothes at hand before you enter the next town. wink

enthusiast
enthusiast
I do enjoy this topic, but it also makes me wonder the reason why mages would be clothed like this stereotypic way in video games. Guess it has something to do with midieval clerk's capes one one hand and the picture of Odin on the other (according to wikipedia this is where the idea for gandalf in lord of the rings came from, an old man with staff, beard and cloack).

Originally Posted by Lotrotk
I do enjoy this topic, but it also makes me wonder the reason why mages would be clothed like this stereotypic way in video games. Guess it has something to do with midieval clerk's capes one one hand and the picture of Odin on the other (according to wikipedia this is where the idea for gandalf in lord of the rings came from, an old man with staff, beard and cloack).

It's all about path of thinking we got used to over time, that's all. Intellectual, studied man were usually dressed in some kind of robe-like gear to underline their achievements and knowledge they acquired (and hopefully wisdom).
The same pathes of thinking lead to other stereotypes of females in fantasy games often be the healer, archer or thief.

With modern military and pragmatic thinking most players acquired after many gaming sessions we would also go first for all guys in bathrobes to eliminate the groups artillery and wipe out all females first to eliminate their healing capabilities as well.

If you’re truly evil you might even consider nuking the adventurer’s home base and kill all their loved ones and supporters to break their spirit even before they come stomping into your dungeon.
But lets leave this kind of thinking in modern ages. As long we all can dress pretty freely I am fine as choices are good until there are practical reasons for the wardrobe, e.g. no metal as elemental spell caster or so.

In computer games you unfortunately can’t surprise an enemy but in a paper game it might be interesting to see how you surprise as warrior an enemy by wearing just some loincloth when you draw your enemy a new hairline with your sword.
Anyway…I don’t want to take clichés away from people which are fond of them but I do not mind at all to break the mold.
We got some nice suggestions before in this thread about alternative outfits. I just wish some folks would not go so militant about pro/contra clichés, that’s why I stay away from the other thread as it is pointless to argue about personal tastes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard