Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
Seems like dexterity weapons are appropriately calculated for the whirlwind skill.

All in all, baring smaller bugs cropping up and some issues remaining to be solved, the game seems to be on a very good track in terms of its main features and gameplay.

Latest additions to Ai and enemy skills and capabilities really upgraded the overall quality.
While the setting and the story work very well together - within the scope and style of high fantasy and more action focused RPGs of this kind.

N
stranger
stranger
N
Noticed that party members do not regroup after chaining the portraits. Ahhh... thank you!

This version is feeling pretty snazzy. I've been posting a lot of criticism (and a few "let me tell you how to do it better") today but I want the devs to know that I do, actually, love them very much smile I've never been this excited about a game before. Thinking about it is filling up all of my mental downtime so I am trying to channel that energy for good.

stranger
stranger
Just another shout out to Larian Awesomness - keep it up guys.

veteran
veteran
There was another small update today. Any info on what changed?

Support
Support

At least the loading screen tips were going to be updated today.

old hand
old hand
Ice arrows enemies use now create extra icy surface around the hit characters of mine - very nice.
Hope there is more of it.

Characters dont move by themselves anymore when i select a different character.
Now they wait until i click - and its great.

Wet status does make a difference when dealing with fire. Both for enemies and my team. Also great.
Fire isnt completely fixed, but this is a small but significant step forward.

Mysterious opponents are now much tougher - very nice too.

old hand
old hand
As per today's updates I've encountered the following.

Character Creation - everything that was 'missing' now appears to be there, guess bad install last night.

Tutorial Dungeon - After breaking all the barrels, there is a "hidden burning spot" that my characters are catching on fire. It is in the middle of the floor. They also both die instantly from the burning damage. There is no way for me to even try and heal them unless I know that I'm going to have to use a few potions.

The glitched spot is at X163Y463, this spot always remains as a hot spot even after all barrels are broken. I haven't used the rain scroll (saving for ship). No flames will appear hear at all after the barrels are destroyed and there is often a deep water puddle here.

The tool tip popping up saying that you can change the difficulty settings does make using healing potions a bit more difficult. Why is burning damage so deadly in the tutorial dungeon anyway? This is just normal difficulty.

There is still not auto-save feature making anyone that dies in here to suffer going threw character creation again. With how you can change the cosmetic appearances, it can take some people quite a while to have to re-do and get it to how they like seeing their character.

It does seem that I do have lots of problems with the tutorial area. The first time I Played the game, first Beta build, the tutorial area was really simple.

Skeleton in Oil Encounter - Candles no longer ignite the oil. In the beta build released a few weeks ago, throwing the candles into the oil while sneaking caused the oil to ignite. This no longer works, I've thrown a few in there and none of them set the oil on fire.

And please stop calling it a dungeon. I know many other games call everything underground with monsters and such dungeons. Doesn't mean you have to call everything underground with monsters and such dungeons as well.

For example, there are lots of people who like to troll forums and treat others like dog crap, that doesn't mean I have to as well. *glares at Hiver*

UPDATE:
New/Existing Bugs:

Gate going towards level 6 Orcs - no hints about needing larger party or area is extremely dangerous.

Gate Missing at X177Y172

Clicking on the town gates seem to bring up the conversation about needing a larger party (no hint dialog box though!). However; if you click on one of the NPCs and ask them to open the gates, they won't bring up the conversation you need to have a larger party.

That is pretty much all I can do on a work night as far as playing the game. Seems all my time was wasted in the tutorial area with those other glitches.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 30/05/14 04:50 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
old hand
And please stop calling it a dungeon. I know many other games call everything underground with monsters and such dungeons. Doesn't mean you have to call everything underground with monsters and such dungeons as well.

For example, there are lots of people who like to troll forums and treat others like dog crap, that doesn't mean I have to as well. *glares at Hiver*

That would be another psychological projection of treating yourself exactly like you are.

But otherwise, apart from that, thats one hell of a correlation there. And that after i tried to give you friendly advice on the issue of "dungeons" in RPGs, two times already now, so you dont embarrass yourself...

Should be preserved for posterity really.

pts Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LightningLockey

Hi LightningLockey,

i assume you only want to use "dungeon" in its historical context of medieval prisons? Thats certainly possible, but dungeon does have a much broader meaning in the context of fantasy role playing games. Dungeons in P&P RPGs and cRPGs are broadly used for caves, labyrinths, sewers, castles, monster lairs and any other enclosed adventuring location. And just because one usage of a word is older doesn't mean new meanings are not valid (otherwise a "gay" guy would be just a happy guy, but today everyone will think gay=homosexual, despite its original meaning).

Last edited by pts; 30/05/14 07:19 AM.
old hand
old hand
The over-use of Dungeon came at a time when the games were sold to kids. All kids knew was that dungeons were bad places to be. What is so wrong with being correct on what a place is? Especially when we got words like "coven", "lair", "crypt", "hideout", "sanctum", etc. A person back in the 1500's would never describe a tomb as a dungeon. Or would they refer to a dungeon as a tomb.

And Hiver, I don't know what the hell your problem is with me but get over it. I can't make a single coment on these forums without you trying to tear my posts apart and make me look like an idiot. I've been these forums for 12 stinking years and never had a single trolling incident until you crawled on here. Came here in 2001 when Larian had the old forums, before we got the new ones in 2003. Geeze, now that I think about it, I've probably been here since you were an infant.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 30/05/14 07:27 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
pts Offline
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
The over-use of Dungeon came at a time when the games were sold to kids. All kids knew was that dungeons were bad places to be.

I don't know if you are familiar with pencil and paper RPGs, but in this context dungeon really doesn't mean prison. There is a whole subculture with its own terminology, also used since the earliest days of computer games. Terms and concepts like NPC (Non-Player Charater), PC (Player Character), HP (Hitpoints) and many more were created. A DM/Dungeon Master is the guy who leads the campaign, not a prison (first introduced in Blackmoor, 1975). A Dungeon Crawl is a specific type of adventure, not a crawl in prison, etc. I'm trying to say, the use of "Dungeon", in the context of RPGs, is correct (even if it hurts the ears of history buffs wink ).

And in those early days, it wasn't sold to/targeted at kids btw., the audience were mostly teenagers and college students, but also older guys (Gary was 35 when he founded TSR 1973).

Last edited by pts; 30/05/14 07:50 AM.
veteran
veteran
Hopefully able to give it a whirl in the weekend... always late, I am... sorry.

* I lolled at the "Stabbey Waypoint" xD
* I agree about the barter tooltip. It was very nice, and should make it's return.
* I don't quite agree with the chance to spells and abilities. It does seem to really make points past 1 seem like a waste if not only does it not increase damage/AP but also is no longer a requirement for more powerful spells. Just drop your weaker ones, fill the slots you have with the most powerful stuff available, INT, and... you're a super-mage unlike that stupid lvl 5 fire mage who wasted all his/her points... smirk
* There are quite a bunch of 'useless' abilities I feel, like Shield Master (since it's change), the weapon skills (+10% damage per point is not worth it) etc. I would prefer them to be more useful than the primary stats. Since spells +INT, okay... but making the same INT work more on fire than fire spell mastery? That doesn't quite vibe with me.
* I think it would be nice if your choices at character creation are saved, so next time you press 'new game' you get what you made before. Not just for early wiping, but also if you make a new game much later you get shown what you used before so you can refine your work, or do it totally different this time around.
I'm not sure how much work that would take though...

I'll give more feedbacks once I actually went through the latest version... seem to really lack time to properly try new builds frown

veteran
veteran
Is the Summon Wolf skill just gone now, completely replaced by Summon Spider?

As this was introduced originally alongside Wayfarers (Ranger-Mage hybrids), it'd be a real shame if the ability to summon a wolf was lost, as it (in my opinion) fits the preset so much better than a summoned spider.

I keep looking around but I haven't found a summon wolf skillbook so far.

Support
Support

Last update the wolf summon was moved to a higher level (with a higher constitution and immunity to chilled/freezing).

K
stranger
stranger
K
Love the updates. I read the entire thing but couldnt find any info on the issues with the black cloud not dissipating and hiding items dropped on the ground.

old hand
old hand
You guys have fixed almost every single bug and thing i posted so far.

- All the places where i had issues with my archers or long range spells due to terrain height difficulties are fixed.

- even black clouds now dont completely stop my spells and arrows! Yes. (manual loot collection is not that much of a problem for me)

- You made the Source abomination encounters in BC tougher too. That was very nice. Now its not something i can just sleepwalk through. Even those spiderlings seem more dangerous with their knockdown ability now.

The crab horror is still too weak... but maybe i just didnt see if there is anything new to it since it died instantaneously. Which may be alright. I think these changes are enough to make those opponents a bit more scary while not being too difficult for most players.
Anything else would need to be added in any Hard mode.

- The new spell effects on weapons really look nice and add a certain vibe of cool to the game.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kaltrun
Love the updates. I read the entire thing but couldnt find any info on the issues with the black cloud not dissipating and hiding items dropped on the ground.

That one seems to be fixed as well. Smoke dissipates shortly after a battle ends.

old hand
old hand
Lockpicks can be found now in the witchcraft trader inventory.

Not all the time it seems, but they do appear there. I saw five of them yesterday. All at once. Just waiting for someone to buy them.

I have to say i dont like the new unbreakable items at all. Thats probably the only thing i dont like in this update. There is surplus of lot and you keep finding better and better loot all the time, so items having some durability was fitting with that and with mechanics for crafting and repair.

The unbreakable items are just added because of complaints of ... undesirable elements.

It doesnt really fit with the game. And now there are various helmets and boots and such equipment that is also - unbreakable - for some mysterious reason.

Dont. like. it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
That one seems to be fixed as well. Smoke dissipates shortly after a battle ends.

Do the little pockets of flame and poison gas that used to hang in the graveyard smoke *also* disappear? Haven't gotten that far in 1.08.

W
stranger
stranger
W
I've got to say I'm a little saddened by the "only one summoned monster" thing, even though I know why it was done.

Any chance of a "summoner" talent that lets you get a second one?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard