Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#505777 02/07/14 04:44 PM
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
This topic is to collect all guides and resources for the D:OS toolkit in one place.

GETTING STARTED

TUTORIALS

First tutorial from Larian: http://www.twitch.tv/larianstudios/c/4542850
Modding the main campaign: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504576
Editor footage: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb3nBG3O70k
There's not much explanation but you can learn some things by watching how he does things.

RESOURCES
List of script commands: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=506800

INTERFACE

The Toolbar
[Linked Image]
  • Object buttons are for moving objects on a map
  • Global buttons affect the entire module
  • Local buttons list the instances on the current map
  • The view buttons give an error

Most important dialogs
Root templates: first of the global buttons. This is where all the object templates are.
The sidebar: ctrl+B or view -> sidebar. This is where you set the properties of both templates and instances.
Resource browser: lists all resources like models, sounds, terrains.

Last edited by dubiouschicken; 03/07/14 01:42 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
A new version of the unpack tool is available at the usual location (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32263228/lstools.zip).

The main new feature is an FBX (3ds max file format) to GR2 (Granny / D:OS model format) export option.
Note that this option wasn't extensively tested; it seems to work, but it may fail to export / incorrectly export files & other stuff.

Last edited by Norbyte; 02/07/14 06:14 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Norbyte
A new version of the unpack tool is available at the usual location (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32263228/lstools.zip).

The main new feature is an FBX (3ds max file format) to GR2 (Granny / D:OS model format) export option.
Note that this option wasn't extensively tested; it seems to work, but it may fail to export / incorrectly export files & other stuff.

Thanks for your hard work but the link seems to be dead?

N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by Red Avatar

Fixed smile

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Red Avatar

Fixed smile

Thanks! Now I can get started smile

S
stranger
stranger
S
Unpacker / D:OS engine question:

I want to make balance adjustments to the files that unpack from Main into Public\Main\Stats... how do I get the game engine to them consume those changes. Do I need a re-packer? Can I just drop the raw changed file into Mods\%myMod%\Stats? Do I need to ingest the modded file into a mod via the edtiro some how? Thanks to anyone who has experience modding Larian games.

N
addict
addict
N
Almost; you should drop them into Data\Public\%yourMod%\Stats, not Data\Mods\%yourMod%\Stats

stranger
stranger

Norbyte,

could you start putting dates or version numbers on those files so we know if we have the latest version or not?

/u/32263228/lstoolsV1.0.1.zip
or
/u/32263228/lstools7-1-2014.zip

Thanks,
Zep--

Call me crazy, but do we really need unpackers and similar tools? Shouldn't the engine tools provide everything we need, aside maybe from asset creation like sound, artwork and 3d?

If we are reliant on opening and accessing game data using 3rd party tools, then we don't truly have the tools that Larian promised us, or at most a limited subset of them.

old hand
old hand
Larian have stated multiple times before releasing the toolset that it will be in beta for a while and they still have work to do in order for it to be fully rounded out and user friendly for the community. They were working very hard on the game right until the very end and didn't have time to package up the toolset to do everything they envisioned. They'll get it there. In the meantime, we have some knowledgeable and motivated people giving tools to those of us who are adventurous and eager to get going. It's a healthy sign.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
veteran
so thanks to them and thanks to larian laugh

Oh I am quite aware and also thankful smile As long as the toolkit within a reasonable time will do everything we need, engine wise, I am perfectly happy. It would just be odd if we had to hack around, when we're supposed to be able to do it all from one place.

veteran
veteran
excellent resources. many thanks to norbyte laugh

stranger
stranger

Interesting, so this tool can also be used for Civ5 then?

N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by ToadStoned
Interesting, so this tool can also be used for Civ5 then?

If the GR2 file version is compatible with Civ5 then yes.

Z
Zeo Offline
stranger
stranger
Z
So when I follow the first two steps, download instructions then unpack .pak files is it expected that I will get an error when starting the game that the 'main' mod is invalid or changed? I'm getting that error now and not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not.

N
addict
addict
N
Originally Posted by Zeo
So when I follow the first two steps, download instructions then unpack .pak files is it expected that I will get an error when starting the game that the 'main' mod is invalid or changed? I'm getting that error now and not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not.

Don't unpack the .pak files to the game Data folder, as it can have interesting side effects and overrides changes that the official patches do.
I suppose I should add a warning about that ...

P
P
Norbyte, I try to run your LSTools.exe, but I get the message MSVCP110.dll is missing. However, I has the 2012 version 4 distribution installed, MSVCP110.dll is present in C:\Windows\system32

Any ideas?

Edit:
I had the x64, not the x86 version installed.

Last edited by PatrickSJ; 04/07/14 08:21 PM.
N
addict
addict
N
Do you have the 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) version of the 2012 runtime installed?
If your windows is 64-bit, then C:\Windows\system32\msvcp110.dll is actually a 64-bit binary (yay for obvious directory naming ^^), and the 32-bit one is at C:\Windows\syswow64\msvcp110.dll, or hidden somewhere in the mess that is the WinSXS folder.
Anyhoo you need the x86 one, not the x64, regardless of Windows version.

P
P
Yeah, that was the problem.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard