Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#508382 04/07/14 04:27 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Has there been any word of an official Divinity Engine Wiki from Larian? If not should we wait for an announcement or should we get busy creating our own community wiki?

I was thinking I could throw up a mediawiki installation with a suitable domain name if the community would find that helpful. It would be professionally hosted (i.e. not by me!) with a 99.99% uptime, unlimited bandwith and I have about 39.9GB free space left with my provider (which should be way more than we need). That way we should be free from the limits of the likes of Wikia and all the advertising spam.

For those that don't know me I've been modding (NWN, NWN2, Dragon Age) for the last dozen years or so. I was heavily involved with BioWare in setting up and maintaining the Dragon Age Toolset Wiki (deciding what extensions we needed, writing the GeShi config, creating lot of templates, generating most of the scripting pages, etc.).

That said, in the interests of full disclosure I have to confess to having the artistic abilities of your average house brick and I am really only interested in scripting. So if people want a pretty wiki with lots of stuff about terrain, characters, etc. they are going to have to contribute!

Sunjammer
Code Monkey
Divinity Engine Wiki
old hand
old hand
Sounds great to me. It would be nice to have a single place where we can combine and organize the information provided by Larian and that gleaned from the community. Thanks for offering!

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
addict
addict
Sounds great. I am very much into Scripting too, although I am a total self taught scripter. I modded NWN2 (french Frontier PW), mount and blade warband(rigale mod), and Tha last continent for Legend of grimrock. I tried modding dragon age, but it was such a disappointment compared to the Toolset, that I didn't persevere.
It 's great to have good coders around, because you guys are so good hehe

Last edited by Cromcrom; 04/07/14 06:12 PM.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Sunjammer

I was thinking I could throw up a mediawiki installation with a suitable domain name if the community would find that helpful. It would be professionally hosted (i.e. not by me!) with a 99.99% uptime, unlimited bandwith and I have about 39.9GB free space left with my provider (which should be way more than we need). That way we should be free from the limits of the likes of Wikia and all the advertising spam.

That would be wonderful. We need a wiki.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I've installed a mediawiki instance on www.divinityengine.net and started configuring it.

While anyone can read it, I've configured it to require you to be logged in to create/edit/upload to minimise the amount of spam (you'll have noticed even these forums were hit recently) and/or vandalism. There will be a reCAPTHA when you create an account but after that you shouldn't be bothered with it again. Let me know if there are any issues.

I've still got a a few more extensions to install and there are lots of templates to created. For the timebeing I'm going to leave the main page unlocked (please don't abuse it) but I will probably lock it down once we've settled on a format. I will update the toolbox to point to these forums and to reddit. If there are any other useful links let me know.

I'm going to suggest that the wiki is english language only. We tried making the Dragon Age Toolset wiki multi-lingual but it didn't really work. If there is a demand for another language I can look into supporting it with a dedicated subdomain on divinityengine.net.

If you guys have any thoughts or suggestions feel free to post them up here.

Sunjammer
Code Monkey
Divinity Engine Wiki
old hand
old hand
Thanks Sunjammer! It would be great if we could migrate some content like the material editor post there and start organizing the information rather than relying on stickies and subscribed threads here.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I agree there is a lot of good information already being generated that would be great to have in the wiki. Hopefully the authors will transfer it or be willing to let one of us transfer it for them.

In other use I've continued adding extensions and I've done a first pass on a front page. I've *ahem* borrowed *ahem* very heavily from the Creation Kit wiki's front page (but that's fair because one of their editors borrowed the language bar that I had borrowed from Wikipedia for the Dragon Age Toolset wiki). Anyway for it's really just a pretty placeholder until there's enough content in the wiki to organise!

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that ultimately I'll include a link in the sidear to the Steam Workshop as well.

Sunjammer
Code Monkey
Divinity Engine Wiki
apprentice
apprentice
That's great, Sunjammer. Should be easier to keep things organized on the wiki.

T
stranger
stranger
T
Oops, ignore this, didn't realise I just had to sign up to edit - fixed it now.

The link to the Material tutorial currently points to the Menu Camera tutorial.

Last edited by tubs; 11/07/14 08:25 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
I was going to tell you you can change it but I see you just did smile

T
stranger
stranger
T
It's late and Friday, brain wants to shut down for the weekend. frown

journeyman
journeyman
Dutifully bookmarked! Thank you very, very much smile

J
stranger
stranger
J
Just to let everybody know, I've created another wiki at http://DivinityMods.org for the mod community, it was intended as a place for tutorials and guides on modding Divinity, but then I discovered that Divinity Engine Wiki existed. I'm not trying to step on any toes, but I would like to support the community here; so, I'm just here to let everyone know that if there are any mod authors serious about it, you are free to use DivinityMods.org to collaborate on and host your mods, guides, or other modding content. Just PM me here or follow the instructions on DivinityMods.org to contact me if you would like editing privileges.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Quick update ...

I've installed WikiEditor to provide a better toolbar; SlimboxThumbs to give us a LightBox style viewer for images and galleries; EmbedVideo so we can embed YouTube, Vimeo, etc. tutorials. SyntaxHighlight has been installed since the start but I've still to write the config for the Osiris language (and perhaps a second one for dialogues). I'm also trying to decide between the two DynamicPageList extensions. I'll post up some details on how to use them at some point but in the meantime you can go to the Version page, click on the appropriate extension and go to its MediaWiki page. If there are any other extension you think might be useful drop me a PM.

Now that the scripting tutorials are out I've started drafting a scripting article and I'm hoping to have a better idea on the best way to organise the scripting pages and generate them and the syntax highlighting config file. In the meantime we have various lists in the Scripting reference category. Similarly we've started keeping a list of the community made utilities though at some point we might give them pages of their own.

And just for fun I also started cataloguing the various parts of the toolkit:

[Linked Image]

Sunjammer
Code Monkey
Divinity Engine Wiki
F
journeyman
journeyman
F
i am a noob and i approve this message!

stranger
stranger
Great initiative! Will probably get involved at some point.

My name is Ahnion, dammit---with a grave accent on the i!
stranger
stranger
Excellent work, this is exactly what we need to get things moving forward!

T
stranger
stranger
T
How would you prefer to go about collaborative editing of pages, "Discussion" on the wiki, or here on the forum?

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
If we use the forum prefixing a topic with "[WIKI]" would be helpful to distinguish the threads. Alternatively discussions could be hosted on an article's "Talk" page or in the wiki's "Project" namespace (which I've just noticed isn't set up correctly). What are people most comfortable with?

Sunjammer
Code Monkey
Divinity Engine Wiki
stranger
stranger
I think it might be practical to keep wiki discussions on the wiki in some form. For one thing, there will inevitably be a fair deal of discussions that aren't really very interesting to people who aren't active on the wiki. Also, if activity in and around the wiki are relatively self-contained, they'll be easier to keep track of.

That's my two gold pieces, anyway. smile

My name is Ahnion, dammit---with a grave accent on the i!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard