Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Mr. C
Blizzard won't be suing anyone for this. All they would do is generate a lot of negative publicity and come across as raging assholes.

But if the guy spent the next year building this thing and then wanted to sell it for $5.00 a pop would you rage out on him if he did?

I wouldn't.

If this would be EA, they would probably sue unless you have their blessings similarly with renegade x(Command and Conquer that EA has rights has given them blessings) . I don't know about Activision/Blizzard's policies though. I just revived the thread because Swen have stated this on the latest article of gamespot for D:OS.

Last edited by henryv; 10/09/14 12:49 AM.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
F
stranger
stranger
F
Originally Posted by blazed
I'm curious why did you feel the need to make diablo 2, I mean why not something similar but original?

I think its a shame to put so much time and effort into something that's just a blatant copy.

If this gains a lot of popularity blizzard will be very likely to shut it down, so is it really worth it?

After all this time, the debate was pointless anyway, lol. Wish I had found this earlier, oh well.

Custom Game developers may only re-create the following Blizzard games (including their expansion packs): Blackthorne, The Lost Vikingsï½® I & II, Warcraftï½®: Orcs & Humans? Warcraftï½® II: Tides of Darkness, Warcraftï½® III: Reign of Chaosï½®, World of Warcraftï½®, Diabloï½®, Diabloï½® II, Diabloï½® III, StarCraftï½® and StarCraftï½®: Brood Warï½®.

Source:http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/acceptable-use.html

btw, I never received an email back when emailing Blizzard legal department. But it doesn't matter, this was taken from their acceptable use policy on their website.

Neener neener! Now we can ignore blazed and get back to the mod!

Last edited by Forge; 22/12/14 06:24 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
This is very cool is this still a thing?

O
stranger
stranger
O
Originally Posted by Forge

AND this Diablo 1 mod for Neverwinter Nights which was made in 2004 and has never been taken down except for a very recent site remake.

F
stranger
stranger
F
This is HILARIOUS!

Diablo was developed being a cRPG, turn-based and everything. Some point during development they went with what we know as being Action RPG.

Man, would love seeing someone tackle Diablo as a mod, Diablo II is just a bonus.

old hand
old hand
It seems like Shidiwen isn't working on this module anymore, given his lack of recent response to this thread. Or maybe he's just working in secret and he's made a lot of progress...

Personally I would find it very boring to remake a game, so I could see how Shidiwen would get tired of it if he did in fact stop. Using the editor is tedious enough, might as well do something creative with it instead of recreating something that already exists (and is already very good. I could see remaking a game like Planescape: Torment which notoriously has terrible combat and gameplay but amazing writing, where you're trying to improve upon the weak aspects of the game while keeping the good content.) Of course, I'm sure Shidiwen is/was adding and reworking tons of stuff for the D:OS engine anyway, so it was still a creative endeavor, but just not my cup of tea.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Baardvark
Personally I would find it very boring to remake a game, so I could see how Shidiwen would get tired of it if he did in fact stop. Using the editor is tedious enough, might as well do something creative with it instead of recreating something that already exists (and is already very good. I could see remaking a game like Planescape: Torment which notoriously has terrible combat and gameplay but amazing writing, where you're trying to improve upon the weak aspects of the game while keeping the good content.) Of course, I'm sure Shidiwen is/was adding and reworking tons of stuff for the D:OS engine anyway, so it was still a creative endeavor, but just not my cup of tea.

Yes, as you kind of convinced yourself along the way, the two are not mutually exclusive. smile A good example is the Ultima 5: Lazarus remake. Depending on the game, there is a lot you can potentially do (especially with older games) to flesh out stories and build on what's there with a fresh twist. There is still plenty of room to innovate and be creative.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
B
journeyman
journeyman
B
Originally Posted by Forge
Originally Posted by blazed
I'm curious why did you feel the need to make diablo 2, I mean why not something similar but original?

I think its a shame to put so much time and effort into something that's just a blatant copy.

If this gains a lot of popularity blizzard will be very likely to shut it down, so is it really worth it?

After all this time, the debate was pointless anyway, lol. Wish I had found this earlier, oh well.

Custom Game developers may only re-create the following Blizzard games (including their expansion packs): Blackthorne, The Lost Vikingsï½® I & II, Warcraftï½®: Orcs & Humans? Warcraftï½® II: Tides of Darkness, Warcraftï½® III: Reign of Chaosï½®, World of Warcraftï½®, Diabloï½®, Diabloï½® II, Diabloï½® III, StarCraftï½® and StarCraftï½®: Brood Warï½®.

Source:http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/acceptable-use.html

btw, I never received an email back when emailing Blizzard legal department. But it doesn't matter, this was taken from their acceptable use policy on their website.

Neener neener! Now we can ignore blazed and get back to the mod!

It's been a while since I've been on here, but:

You lack so much brain cells you don't even comprehend the information on the legal site you linked.

The whole site you linked is referring to "Custom games" in Blizzard game, as in the custom game creator, you are allowed to remake diablo using blizzard's editor is all they are saying.

Directly under it:

3. Ownership.
Custom Games are and shall remain the sole and exclusive property of Blizzard. Without limiting the foregoing, you hereby assign to Blizzard all of your rights, title and interest in and to all Custom Games, and agree that should Blizzard decide that it is necessary, you agree to execute future assignments promptly upon receiving such a request from Blizzard.

Now how the f*** can blizzard own a Larian Mod? Makes no sense, there is conflicting copyrights.

"Neener Neener" yourself kid, Looks like this mod is dead anyway.

Blizzard have even changed their T&Cs / EULA that even unqiue ideas that are created in their editors such as DOTA will now be their IP, they did this to avoid what happen with DOTA fiasco.

Last edited by blazed; 29/04/15 08:49 PM.
B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
Why are you necroing a thread to argue with nobody?

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
How it looks with the state of production? When will it be released?
Are there any web's with more information?
It will editable the texts for translation into other languages?

stranger
stranger
I guess the OP stoped his work modding D2?

This mod looks very nice but to say the truth I am not sure I want to play D2 on D:OS because of the fact I am very much in two minds about Blizzard and their Games and last but not least their policies and money making Projects which they call "Games"...

Yeah back in times I loved to play Blizzard games like D1 and D2 but this is history.
Nowadays I even dont want to hear anything about Blizzard nor want to remembered about their policies or what ever.

I think nowadays Blizzard is thinking we Player are littlebit stupid and they can publish anything they call "A Game" and we (the gamer) will worship it. I DO NOT!

To clear up misunderstandings: I am not a Blizzard hater, I am just not stupid only because I am a gamer, and I know the difference of what is a (good) Game and what is just a "Money making Project of Blizzard called a Game" like D3 or WoW i.e smile

A much better Idea for me would be to modding i.e Divine Divinity or Beyond Divinity with the D:OS editor.

so long Wanderer

Last edited by WWWanderer; 03/06/15 07:06 PM.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard