Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#514895 10/07/14 03:36 AM
L
Lokitia Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Hi, I sent all of my information to the support email about 24 hours ago but still haven't heard anything back. I'm curious what they mean by 'a reasonable time period'.

Anyhow, the details. I installed last night and tried to run. Nothing, crashed instantly. I read the Steam help and ran through everything they suggested (verified local files, manually ran redistributables, etc.) Everything checked out.

Next I sent my first email to Larian Support and got the first canned response which ended up getting me to this forum. So I read through a bunch of similar crash posts and found there was a tool I should run. I did this and it says that the MS VC++ redistributable failed. So I uninstalled it, reinstalled it and updated Win 8.1 again. Tool still says it failed. I can't create the Report.zip because like everyone else, that causes the tool to crash too.

So, I've sent Larian support my crash files, the information about the tool claiming there is something wrong with the VC++ redistributable files and the information from the event viewer about the crash.

I can't find the graphics setting file people mention playing with. I assume that is because it never actually gets started. I'd really like to play the game but it doesn't appear to want me to. Is there any more information I can send them? Any idea how many days before I'll finally get a response?

Last edited by Lokitia; 11/07/14 12:51 PM.
Support
Support

Try lowering you desktop resolution; that should get the game to try starting in a lower resolution, which may allow it to load, and create the configuration files.

Try starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Shipping\EoCApp.exe' program file by right clicking and running as administrator (the GOG version should already be set to run as administrator by default).
If applicable, try right clicking EoCApp.exe and selecting Properties, then switch to the Compatibility tab and check 'Disable display scaling on high DPI settings', and maybe try Win 7 compatibility mode, or something.

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before trying to start the game?
Firewalls have caused conflicts (generally on loading screens) and overlays from graphics tweaking/monitoring programs or chat programs have also caused issues.

Try verifying local files: in the Steam library, right click on Divinity Original Sin (or the Enhanced Edition entry) and select Properties, switch to the Local Files tab and then click on the 'Verify Integrity of Game Cache...' button.
With the GOG version, in the (optional) Galaxy client, select the game in the left column, then click on the More button, and in the Manage menu select 'Verify / Repair'.

If you check the Event Viewer, does that give an error code or 'Faulting Module' file name that might help identify the cause of the crash?
- click Start (or WinKey-R or WinKey-W in Win 8), then type "event viewer" into the search box. in Windows 10, 'event' should bring up 'View event logs'.
- after starting the Event Viewer, expand 'Windows Logs' in the left column and select 'Application'
- in the center column, look for a recent error (maybe sort by Date and Time) for the game
- check the information under the 'General' tab below the list of events, starting with "Faulting application name..."

EDIT 2: Windows 10

A couple people have reported problems loading saves or starting a new game after upgrading to Windows 10. It appears this is due to changes in the (presumably) default permissions for My Documents, or in how folders backed up before the upgrade are assigned permissions afterwards. One person specified the error codes 100, 119 and sometimes 120 were given when the load failed. In all 3 cases so far, the problem was fixed by adding Full Privileges to Users, or a specific user, on the Larian Studios folder (see spoiler for details).
From the topic UError Codes 100, 119 on loading any save:
Originally Posted by onejeremias
I had copied the Larian Studios folder in Documents folder before upgrading, and ran the upgrade with the "Keep Nothing" option. I reinstalled Steam and D:OS, but although my save files were listed (from cloud), they all gave the errors 100, 119 and sometimes 120.

I then retrieved my backed up folder and pasted it over top of the one that had been created automatically on installation, and discovered that it required "Administrator Access" to perform it, even though I had rights to my own Documents folder. Still, this indicated that my current user didn't have security permissions on that folder. (Edit: I did try the save files, and got the same errors as before.) Closing the game, I right-clicked the Larian folder and went to properties, then the Security tab, then clicked on Advanced. The Owner of the folder is listed at the top, with an option to change. Clicked "Change", and in the resulting window typed in my username as it appears in the C:\Users folder, and hit Check Names. It found my user, then I hit OK. Having changed the owner of the Larian folder to my Win10 user, my saves began working again.

Hope this helps someone!

EDIT 3: OS X 10.11 El Capitan

There is a known issue with El Capitan and games that use Game Center for multiplayer. For example, in some games you may not be able to send an invitation to play, though D:OS should be fine with that.
Two people have reported D:OS crashing on startup after upgrading to El Capitan, which could be avoided by logging out of Game Center.

EDIT:

If there is any loading time before the game crashes, try Alt-Tabbing away from the game and see if that avoids the crash. If so, you may be able to switch back to the game once it loads.

If the crashes started after a Steam update or trying to hex edit a pak file (one of the ways to enable 4 player co-op), check the contents of your '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Data' folder. This folder should contain (in 1.0.252) an engine.pak and game.pak files, 2 main pak files and 3 textures pak files (and a text file). A couple people have had crashes on startup due to extra pak files in this folder; one was a case of a copied file (with a different extension) made to try hex editing a main pak file, while the other was apparently temporary files not cleaned up properly after an update.

From the Steam discussion [FAQ] Divinity: Original Sin:

- check if you have the latest drivers
- check if you meet the minimum requirements for the game
- check if you have a sound device (one that has uptodate drivers and is visible in dxdiag.txt. If you have a sound device but its name and drivers end up empty in dxdiag, it is likely the game will not start up. >>> Reinstall sound drivers)
- some people have reported uninstalling AMD Gaming evolved (raptr) fixes crashing on startup. Control panel > programs and features > uninstall raptr software.
- check if the support packages for the game are installed correctly (you can find these in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\_CommonRedist)

EDIT 4: Enhanced Edition

There are some additional things to check for the Enhanced Edition of the game.

For Windows 7, please make sure you have Service Pack 1 installed. Win 7 SP1 (64 bit) is the minimum required version of Windows, due to needing full support for DirectX 11 (just having it installed is not enough).

Check that your graphics card has hardware support for DirectX 11.
One way to check which card you have is to click Start (or WinKey-R), type in dxdiag and hit Enter, then in the window that opens, switch to the Display tab.
Also in that tab, check the 'DDI Version' in the Drivers section on the right; it should be 11 or higher. If it is less than 11, still check the video card specs, since there are driver issues and some programs that can result in the DDI Version being lower than what it should be. In that case, a clean re-install of the drivers may help. If possible, check your monitor/laptop manufacturer's site for an updated inf file, especially if a monitor is just listed in Windows as a generic PNP monitor (that is often the case for laptops).
It is also possible for the DDI Version to be listed higher than the actual hardware support. For example, Intel's integrated graphics drivers can cover an entire family of GPUs and will report one number, even if they include chips with different levels of DirectX support. Intel HD 2000 and 3000, for example, only support 10.1.

If you are playing on a laptop with dual graphics, make sure the game is loading on the discrete graphics (nvidia or AMD) rather than integrated (Intel, though HD 4000 and later should have DiretcX 11 support).

Try manually installing the support packages (from the folder ..\SteamApps\common\Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition\_CommonRedist) and reboot. There is a similar folder in the GOG install folder, as well.

Last edited by Raze; 14/01/16 04:39 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Doesn't work Raze, as per details in the other thread.

I mostly come at night...mostly.
M
journeyman
journeyman
M
Give the new User account idea that Raze has mentioned on other threads a go maybe?
Certainly not the perfect answer but worked for me as temporary fix for the profile loss and save crash, might work.

apprentice
apprentice
Yeah, something was pretty badly screwed up with the LevelCache folder - wiping that & rebuilding from scratch seems to have fixed it. No idea what the implications of clearing that folder are longer term (I assume it's just a temp cache which just means game takes longer to restart/load the 1st time...?)

Raze #515297 10/07/14 12:46 PM
L
Lokitia Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Raze

Try lowering you desktop resolution; that should get the game to try starting in a lower resolution, which may allow it to load, and create the configuration files.

Try starting the game directly from the '..\SteamApps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Shipping\EoCApp.exe' program file (or similarly for the GOG version), by right clicking and running as administrator.

Are you shutting down all non-essential programs (especially anti-virus) before trying to start the game?

Dropped it to 1024x768 and same thing happens. Ran from Shipping directory and same thing happens. Disabled Anti-virus and same thing happens.

What is this level cache folder? I don't see it anywhere.

apprentice
apprentice
On Win7 try ..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin\LevelCache or
C:\Users\[username]\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin\LevelCache

(or under My Documents if an earlier OS like XP; no idea about Win8.x)

L
Lokitia Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Yeah, it has never actually started yet so I don't have anything in that folder except PlayerProfiles.

L
Lokitia Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
Still won't run on 1.0.63.0.

Faulting application name: EoCApp.exe, version: 1.0.63.0, time stamp: 0x53bec3df
Faulting module name: EoCApp.exe, version: 1.0.63.0, time stamp: 0x53bec3df
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00537739
Faulting process id: 0x1284
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf9c9c71bcf788
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Shipping\EoCApp.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Divinity - Original Sin\Shipping\EoCApp.exe
Report Id: afea47bb-088f-11e4-8264-ac7ba14d7c2b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Support
Support

Here is an updated link for a 1.0.219 replacement Divinity Original Sin folder (695KB), if you want to try extracting it into your '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder, and see if that makes a difference (it may help if the problem is in setting up the initial My Documents folder and configuration files).

The graphicSettings.lsx file is set to a 1152x648 resolution, and windowed mode (instructions for changing this in the spoiler). If this lets you start the game, you can change the resolution (and quality settings) in the Video options.

You can edit the graphicSettings.lsx file (in the '..\Documents\Larian Studios\Divinity Original Sin' folder) in Wordpad, or other text editor, to manually change the resolution. Search for the section:

</node>
<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="MapKey" value="ScreenHeight" type="22" />
<attribute id="Type" value="0" type="5" />
<attribute id="Value" value="1600" type="4" />
</node>
<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="MapKey" value="ScreenWidth" type="22" />
<attribute id="Value" value="2560" type="4" />
</node>

Search for 'fake' near the start of the file to set the display mode (if both FakeFullscreen and Fullscreen are set to zero, it will be in Window mode).

<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="MapKey" value="FakeFullscreenEnabled" type="22" />
<attribute id="Value" value="0" type="4" />
</node>
<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="MapKey" value="FrameCapFPS" type="22" />
<attribute id="Value" value="60" type="4" />
</node>
<node id="ConfigEntry">
<attribute id="MapKey" value="Fullscreen" type="22" />
<attribute id="Value" value="1" type="4" />
</node>

Here is a link for a 1.0.252 save (2.9MB). In cases where D:OS will start but there is a problem starting a new game, it may be useful to try an existing save.

Old links:
1.0.219 save game: new knight/wizard (3.4MB)

Here are the previous links for 1.0.169: D:OS folder (707KB), same folder, with a witch/knight save included (4MB).

And the link for 1.0.63: Divinity Original Sin folder.

EDIT: Enhanced Edition

The EE is a less likely to have a problem creating the initial My Documents files and folders. Regardless, here is a replacement D:OS EE folder, which you can try downloading and extracting into your '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder, after renaming/deleting the existing 'Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition' subfolder.

The graphicSettings.lsx file is set to 1280x720 Windowed mode, Very Low quality preset, which you can change in the options (manually, or hit autodetect) if this gets the game to start.

If that doesn't help, delete the downloaded My Documents D:OS folder and try starting the game again.

Last edited by Raze; 14/01/16 04:48 AM.
Raze #516460 11/07/14 12:50 PM
L
Lokitia Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
L
That did it! Thanks Raze. Seems crazy its just something as simple as that.

K
stranger
stranger
K
Just FYI, I had the identical problem. The game would crash as soon as I launched it. The "EoCApp.exe" executable, specifically. My "Divinity Original Sin" folder only had one file in it, deleting the whole folder and re-running the game recreated the folder with only that same one file in it, and then the game would immediately crash. When I removed the folder and replaced it with the clean Divinity Original Sin folder that Raze provided, I could launch the game and play just fine. Thanks very much, Raze. Anyone else with a similar problem, running Windows where the game won't launch at all, give this a try.

D
stranger
stranger
D
I purchased the game from GOG.com and am having the problem noted above. In regards to the new folder, after extract it do I just copy and paste everything from the old one over? I've tried all of the other recommendations (lower resolution, etc), so I'm hoping this does it since otherwise I'm not sure what I can do.

Support
Support

Try renaming your current '..\My Documents\Divinity Original Sin' folder, and replace it with the downloaded version.
If that lets you start the game, then if you have saves in your existing profile, you can just move them from the renamed folder to the savegames folder for the downloaded profile (or create another new profile).

D
stranger
stranger
D
OK, I've tried the alternate folder and I'm still getting the exact same thing. I don't know if this is an issue or not but when I run the install it seems to finish before the bar is all the way full and the folders "level cache", "player profile" and "temp" and the file "graphicSettings.lsx" that the downloaded file has aren't there.

Support
Support

The level cache, profile and config files are only created once you start the game. If the replacement folder doesn't help, then the cause of your crash is probably something else. You can still try a different resolution or switching to fake fullscreen (see above).

D
stranger
stranger
D
I have tried everything I've found on these forums and then some and I know my computer meets the requirements and then some to play the game. I have downloaded the files again, no luck. Change resolution and run doesn't work, I have modified the GraphicSettings file as noted above (except with the height and width of the resolution on my computer). run the .exe from the shipping folder hasn't done it. Unless somehow I'm doing the whole new file thing wrong I can't see anything else to do.

I have the game file at C:\GOG Games\Divinity - Original Sin

When I extract the Divinity Original Sin folder does it just go as a sub folder in that location, that is what I'm assuming.

I've generated a report file and am going to send and email to see if I can get something resolved that way also. Thank you for your help so far.

Support
Support

The downloaded D:OS folder is just a zip file, so will extract wherever you tell it to (usually defaulting to the zip file's current location).

If you browse to the '..\Documents\Larian Studios' folder in Windows Explorer and rename the 'Divinity Original Sin' subfolder, and you downloaded the zip file (to your Desktop, or somewhere handy), you could just right click the zip file and drag it into the Larian Studios folder before dropping; that will bring up a context menu with 'Extract...' as an option.

You do not want to delete or overwrite your current My Documents D:OS folder, since it contains all your saves (if applicable).

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
Thank you Raze! Using the provided clean files fixed my issues. Too bad I never heard back from support. Odd that when i originally erased those problem files they were not automatically rebuilt like in other games where I have had to muck about in the files.

Support
Support

The files should have been recreated when you started the game again.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard