Next Thread
Print Thread
M
moloy Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Hi, I got the game (the OS X version) from gog and want to play the game in english. But somehow someone decided that I have to play the german version and the game seemingly does not give my any option to change that. But seriously - that has to be possible! So, how do I do it?

Support
Support

At least with the Windows version, there is a 'Language Settings' shortcut in the Start menu folder for the GOG version of the game, and a LanguageSetup.exe program in the 'Divinity - Original Sin' install folder.

Elverils/Larian Studios
Elverils/Larian Studios
I though GOG has a separate version for each language.. So you select language when you download.

Support
Support

They do have a separate download for each language, but you can also switch between languages after installing (so apparently the different downloads just have different defaults set).

R
RDD Offline
stranger
stranger
R
Actually, the language you choose when downloading on GOG has no incidence on the language it runs in, at least with version 1.0.81.0. A few days ago, I downloaded 1.0.47.0 on GOG. As it had no French Installer, I went with English as I probably would have anyway. The game ran in English. Yesterday, I downloaded the 1.0.81.0 English installer. With this version, the game runs with French texts.

In any case, as of 10.0.81.0, the game comes as a proper application, that is one icon only. That is great, please don't change that.

Still, I haven't found how to switch languages either. When the game is launched, one can catch a glimpse of a window claiming you can hold command to change configuration, but my numerous attempts to do that (launching by double clicking, with command O or through menu, holding various keys such as command, option or control) were unfruitful.

Launching the game through the command line with the (standard) option -AppleLanguages doesn't work either, and com.larian.dos.plist doesn't seem to contain any language setting writing the standard one don't work either. I wasn't able to locate any other global preference file.

Last edited by RDD; 26/07/14 12:49 PM. Reason: The forum seem to break anything unicode.
Elverils/Larian Studios
Elverils/Larian Studios
As far as I understand Gog logic, it tweaks your language dynamically! Adopting to system language preferences. Please note GOG launcher launches the game. Game is hidden inside Gog launcher.

Also look into Game bundle it's pretty self explanatory imho there if you're at home with such types of things.. There should be Localization directory and there all the available languages..

I dissected Gog executable and viola!

#run game
lang=`defaults read .GlobalPreferences AppleLanguages | tr -d [:space:] | cut -c2-3`
if [ $lang = "en" ]; then
cd "game/Divinity - Original Sin.app/Contents/Data/Localization"
sed -i.bu 's/id="Value" value=".*"/id="Value" value="English" type="20"/g' language.lsx
cd "../../../../.."
open "game/Divinity - Original Sin.app"
elif [ $lang = "fr" ]; then
echo "Running lang: French"
sed -i.bu 's/id="Value" value=".*"/id="Value" value="French" type="20"/g' language.lsx
rm -rf *.bu
cd "../../../../.."
elif [ $lang = "de" ]; then
echo "Running lang: German"
sed -i.bu 's/id="Value" value=".*"/id="Value" value="German" type="20"/g' language.lsx
rm -rf *.bu
cd "../../../../.."
else
sed -i 's/id="Value" value=".*"/id="Value" value="English" type="20"/g' language.lsx
cd "../../../../.."
fi

Look into this...

Support
Support

R
RDD Offline
stranger
stranger
R
Originally Posted by Stauff1138
As far as I understand Gog logic, it tweaks your language dynamically! Adopting to system language preferences.
Actually, it uses the session preferences. Which is fine most of the time, itç—´ just that it ignores any settings for this game in particular.

Fret not, as a simple modification to said script (Divinity Original Sin.app/Contents/Resources/script) saves the day.

Comment out line 2 and add lines 3-4.

Code
#!/bin/bash

#run game
#lang=`defaults read .GlobalPreferences AppleLanguages | tr -d [:space:] | cut -c2-3`
lang=$((defaults read com.larian.dos AppleLanguages 2>/dev/null ||
  defaults read .GlobalPreferences AppleLanguages) | tr -d [:space:] | cut -c2-3)
if [ $lang ==  "en" ]; then
   sed -i.bu 's/id="Value" value=".*"/id="Value" value="English" type="20"/g' language.lsx
   cd "../../../../.."
elif [ $lang ==  "fr" ]; then
   echo "Running lang: French"
   sed -i.bu 's/id="Value" value=".*"/id="Value" value="French" type="20"/g' language.lsx
   rm -rf *.bu
   cd "../../../../.."
elif [ $lang ==  "de" ]; then
   echo "Running lang: German"
   sed -i.bu 's/id="Value" value=".*"/id="Value" value="German" type="20"/g' language.lsx
   rm -rf *.bu
   cd "../../../../.."
else
   cd "../../../../.."
fi

Now, one can set its language preferences in the com.larian.dos.plist preference file (found in ~/Library/Preferences) using the command line:

Code
$ defaults write com.larian.dos AppleLanguages "(en)"

Code
$ defaults write com.larian.dos AppleLanguages "(fr)"

Code
$ defaults write com.larian.dos AppleLanguages "(de)"

It still ignores any option from the command line. I could get a look into it, but I知 not sure how options are passed around executables and lack the motivation to find out.

It also only looks into the first language instead of choosing the one from {en, fr, de} which appears in the list, which means that settings such as "(zh,fr,en)" [I prefer Chinese, but French still comes before English] will default to English.

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard