Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Well, while banging my head against the wall trying to extend the number of available haircuts I stumbled on a workaround that allows players to pick other races for the main two characters (Yes, the programming on this game is that weird)...

Basically by adding more "roottemplate" to the right lists I set the character editor up to randomly pick from a list of race options everytime you swap your gender (Its hacky, but you can just keep gender swapping until the race/gender combo you want pops up then build from there).

Here's some screenshots of this work-in-progress in action:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

LIMITATIONS SO FAR:

- Naturally your limited to the animations available for the race you selected. The human NPCs don't have any issues. The female orcs work, if you don't mind them holding their weapons a bit weird and always attacking with a punch animation. The male orc... currently only work with 1-hand strength based weapons. Any other weapon, even bare fists and they literally just stand there and waste a turn. I'm going to see if I can fix that otherwise I might cut them.

- Appearance options are limited. Human Npcs work fine with skin/hair color and use the face/hair/underwear selectors as an odd, slightly glitchy "build an outfit" type feature. Naturally none of the other default races display changes in armor, though I get the idea the human NPCs might at least palette swap a little but haven't tested.

- This mod currently only supports the main players, not henchmen, though once the henchmen feature becomes more stable I'm sure it could be adapted to allow henchmen of other races.

- Naturally having a friendly orc or talking dog would be a bit off for those with a heavy immersion focus :p

If nothing else adding the human NPCs will be a fine feature since it will allow at least a crude option for those that want to play less hulked-out males, females with no high-heels, or orcs if I can get them to work a bit better. So we're off too at least the start of having racial/body type options.

Anyways I'm going to grab some lunch but then I'll post notes on how I made this hack for other modders that want to give it a try. Be back in an hour or two.

Last edited by MrEsturk; 31/07/14 01:25 AM.
M
stranger
stranger
M
Wow. That is pretty cool. I'll replay with this if only we can mod the portraits with the matching 3D model. Great job!

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Originally Posted by moredrowsy
Wow. That is pretty cool. I'll replay with this if only we can mod the portraits with the matching 3D model. Great job!

The mod I'm making also adds new skin/hair colors as well as an easy new portrait file that will allow 64 custom portraits for each gender. Its even saved in .png format, so no messy .dds formatting, mip maps, needing an advanced art tool to even load (.png can be edited in clunky old MS Paint), etc wink

EDIT: To keep this simple for me I've moved all major notes and updates to the Nexus forums. Find them here:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.p...creens-and-notes-on-how-its-done-inside/

Last edited by MrEsturk; 31/07/14 06:11 AM.
journeyman
journeyman
Yes please! This looks awesome!

I'd love to play as a monster! Actually, just the thought of it gives me some new ideas for a story smile

I've bookmarked the Nexus page. Big, big thanks for the tutorial. Wonderful discovery!

stranger
stranger
Looks like interesting ...

enthusiast
enthusiast
Hey, while I'm thinking* will this combine with fourplayer? Is it something you can release unpacked? Or does it have to be the main mod?

*This is rare.

H
stranger
stranger
H
so is this dead?

Link Copied to Clipboard