Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
addict
OP Offline
addict
If I'm at Maxos Temple, how much of the game have I covered? 20% 30%?

Phew, playing this game sure wasn't that easy. Yeah, I'm following the mage guide but it's my first RPG in years.

Btw, how does one change their "display name"?

Support
Support

Yes, about that much. After Maxos Temple you'll get access to the next, smaller area, and then the Orobas Fjords, a map about the size of Broken Valley, but more vertical. After another small section, that leads into the final area of the game (FoV).

You can get to the Orobas Fjords early if you wish, from the mountain path to the far south west in Broken Valley. On the map available at the end of Maxos Temple, your first encounter you can mindread to go up a level, so the higher level you are (I made it to 22 in the fjords) the more of an experience bonus that will be. You don't need to get to a high level, but it would be better if you got to a new level before entering, to get a full level bonus (equip anything you have with a Wisdom boost).

You can not change your display name; you can PM me to do so, though.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Oh boy, I've a very long way to go, then! laugh

Yep, I did go to Orobas a bit but found it a bit challenging 'cos I sometimes got stuck under the foliage, so couldn't see where I was going and oops... I've fallen off the cliffs! smile It was likely due to some inbalance in stats.

Oh man, I don't think this game allows you to reset stats, right? I think I better start a new game and check out what the default stats are and if they change after you select a class.

Support
Support

You can reset skill points later in the game, but not stats. You can use equipment bonuses, charms, etc to compensate until you can level up enough to adjust you distribution, though, if you need to.
Playing a ranger on nightmare difficulty, I stopped distributing stat points after level 15, and didn't invest at all into intelligence or spirit (Mana Efficiency, equipment bonuses and Increased Mana enchantments, generally my second choice after Life Line, were enough).

In Farglow there is a +4 (IIRC) stat boost to the appropriate stat for the class you select. After you finish off Maxos temple you also get +1 to all stats.

The difficulty in the fjords is at least partly due to the level difference, though you'll level pretty fast clearing down the mountain path. It is easier with a ranger or mage than a warrior (a creature with a mage head helps, as well, though some people prefer a warrior creature when using a ranged character).
I went in at level 13 and got to 16 a little after the end of the path, then returned to Maxos Temple, after that I went back to the fjords and got to level 22 between clearing the rest of the starting area and turning in as many quests as needed to just get to a new level.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Oh dear, I see. Thank you for all the tips! smile Wow, you're playing on Nightmare: that must take a lot of planning and thinking.

Hmmm... then again, I could just go along with what I've(without stat mods):

Vit = 13, Spirit = 24, Str= 4, Dex =2, Int =40.

After stat mods: Vit = 27, Spirit = 25, Str = 8, Dex = 4, Int = 44. (yeah, I somehow went the other way lol... should be high Spirit and low Int first).

My char has 2 axes: 1 increases magical damage by 20 and the other increases by 30.

Btw, the rising platform in the Depleted Ore mine: extremely tedious and annoying. Though I'm almost going to complete the Lever platforms, I've half of a mind, not to finish this part. I heard the rewards were not very worth it.

Hmm, maybe I should abandon this account: I always hated my username.

Support
Support

I played through the original release of D2:ED, so even with the changes in DKS I was familiar with the gameplay mechanics. The balancing changes and adjustments to combat made the game easier.

I didn't find the platforms in the Depleted Ore mine that hard, though was using a controller (XBox version). I quicksaved a few times on the way up, since it would be faster to reload than reset the platforms after a missed jump, and of course at the top before hitting the lever.

I can change your display name, if you wish.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
The original release was absurdly difficult and I don't think I've ever died quite so often in any video game. I eventually found a helpful guide which gave some handy tips which helped reduce the difficulty from "absurd" to merely "very". laugh

I admit the platforms in that mine drove me nuts: it seemed to take very many attempts for me to succeed, but I was too bloody-minded to give up. I think I may have ended up with quite a severe headache.

J'aime le fromage.
addict
OP Offline
addict
Btw, I really disliked how this game handles choices and consequences(well, whatever little that is). I just discovered Igor killed off Jonelath, even though I told him not to. Yeah, people who play RPGs will probably not have problems with this but I'm fairly tired of reloading saves and backtracking all the time in this game, when I barely have time to do this.

Whatever. I'll decide whether to continue playing on or just be done with videogames in general.

Support
Support

When talking to Igor, once you question whether Jonelath would be the better choice, Igor says he will poison him, and your only dialogue options are not to do so yet, or do as you see fit.

If you use the "I wash my hands in innocence" dialogue line, Igor will kill Jonelath when you exit the cave. That is, unless you tell Jonelath about Igor's plan first, in which case Igor will be the one to die.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Oh boy, I'm really sorry for getting completely pissed. Thx for the help! laugh With luck, I'd managed to find a save without Jonelath dead. :p I'm just started with the Tower but I think it's time to dump most of my inventory.

Speaking of which, I wonder why the main character from BD never showed up: is he dead or what? Or is he simply in hiding, biding his time to fight back against Damian, another time?

Support
Support

For the BD hero, I could understand wanting to keep a low profile after that... biggrin

I guess lore-wise they could be back on Nemisis, dealing with the Black Ring there, or the aftermath of that. To bring them into another game, you would at least need to be able to visit different places on Rivellon and Nemisis.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Well, I guess it must've been a huge shock that he was soul-forged to Damian of all people! laugh

Nemisis, huh? Hmmm... I hope they get the D:OS2 done soon so they can start to wrap up all the other plotlines bit by bit.

Speaking of Damian, I haven't read all the lore about him yet but it sounds like he grew up heavily sheltered and highly protected from the rest of the world. How else did he fall for Yergna's sweet, honeyed words? :P Ahhh... parental love gone wrong.

If I were raising a kid like that, I sure would've fed him part of the bitter truth as a child and let him slowly figure it out over the years.

Support
Support

Damian's childhood, and the events between DD and BD, are described in the BD Child of Chaos novella (included with D2:DC, as well).

addict
OP Offline
addict
Oh thx, I managed to read it. I'm a bit disappointed in D2 that all the lore so far, only talks about what happened and we're not given much well-rounded characterisation in terms of Damien.

Not to mention: did the 2 parts of him merge at some point? Still, damn spoilers, I already know the Voice = Ygerna and I must say, if not for all the dying, Ygerna and Damien = 1 big love story. They really will do anything to be together, won't they?

Hmmm, almost the same:

[Linked Image]

Support
Support

Damian still seems to be himself, despite the surfacing of the powers granted by the aspect of the Lord of Chaos he was imbued with as a baby.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Yeah, he's just extremely enamoured of his powers and seems determined to use them whichever he wants to.

Support
Support

Yes, apparently his emotional development stopped when when he was 15(?) and he became obsessed with avenging Ygerna' death and restoring her to life.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Btw, after you rescue Guildmaster Williams and his bodyguards from the Black Ring, where do they disappear off to? Did they signal for an airship or get killed by the poison mist?

Support
Support

I would guess the other building, that you can not get into, or they have gas mask type spells for use when mining.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Raze

I would guess the other building, that you can not get into, or they have gas mask type spells for use when mining.

Ooh yeah, the gas mask type spells make a lot of sense and would even allow them to escape to Orobas Fjords, if they're fast and know the terrain well.

Or if they're camping in the tower, they're likely sending signals to the people over in Orobas Fjords as long as there're no more towers/nests/etc. around.

P.S. When I tried to go back into the village via the console, I was thrown back into the past. :P Then again, there's no way to enter it anymore. LOL...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard