Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So I've got the GOG version up and running and I immediately ran into a bunch of problems.

Bugs:
1. Whenever I launch even a blank slate standalone module, the main menu theme starts playing.

2. You can hear ocean sounds toward the edges of a blank map.

3. To get new global characters/objects to be recognized in "generate definitions" for the story editor I had to first make the object global on the side bar and save. Then completely close the editor and restart. Only then would the definitions generate.

I have not been able to reproduce this.

4. I had several crashes to desktop while selecting a number for the terrain size when creating a new one. This happened 4 times before I got it to work.

Request:
5. We need the Teleport command back. In the old version this was enabled even without developer mode. Making a mod without it would be impossible.

This one is more of a concern/question:
6. When first creating a new module I noticed I was unable to deselect the "Shared" dependency. Upon examination this dependency contains many of the D:OS system scripts you might want in a stand alone mod in the story editor. So that's good.

But a huge problem I can see this being is what if you need to modify those story script files? Because they are showing up as read only.

I was able to modify the meta.lsx file with a text editor and simply remove the dependency of "shared" and it seemed to work fine. The scripts went away and the editor behaved like the pre-ee editor did. Are there any consequences to this?

If there aren't can you just enable the ability to deselect shared as a dependency?

Thanks

Last edited by SniperHF; 23/03/16 02:01 AM.
N
enthusiast
enthusiast
N
Hi SniperHF, thanks for bringing bugs up.
I'll forward that topic to the devs.

I also made it a sticky.

stranger
stranger
My contribution:

Originally Posted by SniperHF

Bugs:
1. Whenever I launch even a blank slate standalone module, the main menu theme starts playing.

2. You can hear ocean sounds toward the edges of a blank map.

I manage to inmediatly stop those two issues by switching to Game from Editor Mode and backwards. But when loading or reloading any module or level, no matter if the editor was restarted or not, the music and wave sounds returns.

3. To get new global characters/objects to be recognized in "generate definitions" for the story editor I had to first make the object global on the side bar and save. Then completely close the editor and restart. Only then would the definitions generate.

I have not been able to reproduce this.

Yep, shit happens, everytime.

4. I had several crashes to desktop while selecting a number for the terrain size when creating a new one. This happened 4 times before I got it to work.

Me too. Only that instead of inevitable CTD I was prompted to continue (with no further drama) or quit. Finally realized that the bug occurs when neither the Width or Height input boxes were empty: any number on it, no problem; no number at all, CTD problem.

Must add that while closing the editor it always (at least that I can remember) crashes, although with apparently no issues when restarted.

Excuse my english, although Obama is currently visiting my country, it still isn't my primary language smile

Last edited by RiiJ; 23/03/16 08:28 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by RiiJ
Must add that while closing the editor it always (at least that I can remember) crashes, although with apparently no issues when restarted.

I'm not seeing that, though I didn't do a whole lot other than play around with a new terrain.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
T
addict
addict
T
I've also encountered a pretty annoying bug with undo after adding a new item/character:
1) open resources
2) select Animals_Rabbit_A (or anything else)
3) click on the "+" button at the top to add an item
4) click somewhere on the terrain
5) press ctrl-z to immediately undo adding the item

Result:
You get a pop-up dialog stating "The object is locked by source control!". After clicking the "OK" button, the object gets moved to the bottom left corner of the map, and cannot be deleted/edited anymore.

T
addict
addict
T

This one is more of a concern/question:
6. When first creating a new module I noticed I was unable to deselect the "Shared" dependency. Upon examination this dependency contains many of the D:OS system scripts you might want in a stand alone mod in the story editor. So that's good.

But a huge problem I can see this being is what if you need to modify those story script files? Because they are showing up as read only.

You can right-click these entries and select "Copy to my mod...". Afterwards you can edit these local copies.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Tinkerer

You can right-click these entries and select "Copy to my mod...". Afterwards you can edit these local copies.

Cool, seems to work. Though when I do it this causes random Unhanded exceptions

K
stranger
stranger
K
Thrilled that the editor is finally out.
However, when I try to open it, it crashes immideately. (App stopped working) Win10.

Any clues?

journeyman
journeyman
Can you check Config.xml file in folder where engine is installed.

Your paths to data need to look like something like

<EditorDataPath>D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition\Data\Editor\</EditorDataPath>
<DataPath>D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition\Data\</DataPath>

Incorrect paths will lead to a crash.

My only guess for now. Editor may just don't work with Windows 10 or something

Last edited by Cadmus88; 24/03/16 04:31 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Few more bugs for the pile:

1. Sub Goals are not persistent.

I cannot move a goal file under the __Start goal (or any other for that matter) and have it stay there. I can move a goal underneath and it will stay there. But after closing the editor it reverts back to being at the top level. Only the default scripts stay in place.

EDIT: Just an update on this one, this is actually a much bigger problem than I thought. The way the game loads goal files it makes all sorts of things break when certain things aren't under __Start.

I was able to make a goal stay under __Start only by typing in manually TargetEdge "MyTestGoal" in the file through a text editor.

2. Sometimes after generating definitions/building story the camera ends up in weird places like upside down underneath the terrain.

3. The mouse cursor gets stuck as the game cursor sometimes when switching between editor/game mode.

Question:

Can the editor be made to remember your "auto load multiselect" setting on the sidebar?

Last edited by SniperHF; 24/03/16 08:26 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Few more bugs for the pile:

1. Sub Goals are not persistent.

I cannot move a goal file under the __Start goal (or any other for that matter) and have it stay there. I can move a goal underneath and it will stay there. But after closing the editor it reverts back to being at the top level. Only the default scripts stay in place.

That's (also) because the __Start goals is part of the read-only "Shared" package. If you copy __Start to your mod, you can add subgoals to it.

2. Sometimes after generating definitions/building story the camera ends up in weird places like upside down underneath the terrain.

I mostly get this problem after exiting game mode for some reason.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand

That's (also) because the __Start goals is part of the read-only "Shared" package. If you copy __Start to your mod, you can add subgoals to it.

I'm having that problem with it copied.

Last edited by SniperHF; 24/03/16 09:27 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
You always need to close StoryEditor after you docked one goal to another. Then open the parent goal with text editor e.g Sublime Text or Notepad and add

Code
TargetEdge "ChildGoalName"

at the bottom of the file.

Then you save and reopen StoryEditor, the child goal will be docked to its parent.

Cheers!

T
addict
addict
T

I'm having that problem with it copied.

That definitely sounds like a bug, because copying the goal to your own mod is the solution I got from a Larian scripter himself (when using the old editor, but I assume that shouldn't have changed).

A
ALF Offline
journeyman
journeyman
A
That is a known bug indeed. Instead of modifying __Start, the recommended way to go about this is:

1. Create a new goal <your_mod>Start
2. Add the following text in the KB section:
IF
GameEventSet("GAMEEVENT_GameStarted")
THEN
GoalCompleted;
3. Parent your mod's goals to that goal instead of the Shared one

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
More stuff for the pile:

This is an old problem but still present in the EE Editor. The icon previews do not load in the editor without extracting data from the icons.pak and placing them in the folder: Data\Public\Shared\Assets\Textures\Icons

The files are pretty darn small so perhaps you could just include pre-extracted versions in that location?
http://i.imgur.com/vFTIvfr.png?1

Anything like that which makes the editor more usable out of the box is a good thing.

2. When placing objects, if you immediately hit undo you get a message that says "Blocked by source control".

The object does disappear but it moves to the 0 location of the level. It will disappear upon restart however and cause no problems.

Improvement suggestions:
1. The line of sight fade out of NPCs while in editor mode is quite annoying. The old version didn't do this.

2. Include Alignment.lsx
Data\Mods\YOUR MOD\Story\Alignments

Along the same lines of usability, it would probably be a good idea to automatically make a copy of the main alignment folder/file everytime a new mod is created. Anyone interested in customizing would figure it out but a newbie will have a much easier time if it's already there.

Last edited by SniperHF; 27/03/16 01:49 AM.
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by ALF

IF
THEN
GoalCompleted;

Mmm, isnt an entry missing here?

THEN
InitStory();
GoalCompleted;

Think its necessary for a safe story initialization, am I wrong?

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by RiiJ
Originally Posted by ALF

IF
THEN
GoalCompleted;

Mmm, isnt an entry missing here?

THEN
InitStory();
GoalCompleted;

Think its necessary for a safe story initialization, am I wrong?

No, it's not needed. If you use dependency on Shared in your mod (which is by default, unless you changed meta yourself) you already have __Start goal from Shared, which contains it, and it will be executed when it's needed.

Your ModStart goal purpose is, as above ALF said is to dock your mod goals in it and execute them in correct order (when game started, that's why there is a game started event)

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Cadmus
If you use dependency on Shared in your mod (which is by default, unless you changed meta yourself) you already have __Start goal from Shared, which contains it, and it will be executed when it's needed.

Ah, of course! Didnt realize it was for a mod with Shared dependency, blame my apparently poor reading comprehension :S.
I was thinking in a __Start builded from scratch effectively changing Meta.lsx like you said. From practicing with the classic editor, I find is easy to me that way, building, collecting or unpacking one goal at the time. Maybe I should "modernize" my working plan :P

Thanks!

A
addict
addict
A
Some initial experiences with the Editor (Steam):

1. The problem with the Editor crashing on Exit as Riij described occurs for me too (almost every time).
2. Crash on changing module.
3. I've created a new module with dependencies on Main and Shared (and datapacks Main and Shared) to mod the main campaign. But the possibilities to make changes seem to be quite limited: I can't save changes on existing characters and objects of the main campaign due to missing developer rights. So attaching new char scripts, for example, is not possible. I don't know another way to do that; maybe adding new scripts to my Mod via Ressource Manager, catching the script ID and adding an entry to the lsb/lsx files in Mods\Main\Globals\[Level]\Characters\ ? And adding an entry to the characters.lsb file in Data\Public\Shared\RootTemplates\ when I want to add scripts to all characters with a certain template?

Adding and saving new characters and objects is possible.

Currently I have no idea how to take full advantage from the Editor at modding the main campaign.

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Abraxas*

3. I've created a new module with dependencies on Main and Shared (and datapacks Main and Shared) to mod the main campaign. But the possibilities to make changes seem to be quite limited: I can't save changes on existing characters and objects of the main campaign due to missing developer rights. So attaching new char scripts, for example, is not possible. I don't know another way to do that; maybe adding new scripts to my Mod via Ressource Manager, catching the script ID and adding an entry to the lsb/lsx files in Mods\Main\Globals\[Level]\Characters\ ? And adding an entry to the characters.lsb file in Data\Public\Shared\RootTemplates\ when I want to add scripts to all characters with a certain template?

Adding and saving new characters and objects is possible.

Currently I have no idea how to take full advantage from the Editor at modding the main campaign.

Well that's lame developer right's still throttles modding of main, but I think the method of manually editing lsbs is a workaround, if tedious. I've added treasure tables to existing characters that way, so scripts should work. Not entirely sure if modifying the root template will apply the script to all instances of the template ingame though. Also not sure if those changes will still apply in .pak form instead of replacing them in the game folder, but I think they should.

A
addict
addict
A
Attaching scripts to RootTemplates works as well! It's a bit different from adding treasure tables, I think.
A short description of what I did:

1) Created char script in my mod module with dependencies on Main and Shared; added it via Ressource Manager to my module.
2) Took the script ID and added an entry to the animals.lsb file (RootTemplates).
3) Copied the file into Data/Public/MyMod/RootTemplates/

Loaded my module in the editor and all rats - in that case - had the new script added.

But would be fine if it was easier.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Do we have a (semi)official explanation regarding said 'developer rights'? What's the point?
I mean, in previous games, ok, they had a publisher, a DRM in place, i can see why that could potentially be an issue, what with outsourcing, third party tools, standing contracts, et al..

But why here? And for crying out loud, why on utterly NON-sensical things such as changing a character? Or objects come to that?

Pride, honour and purity
A
addict
addict
A
Some more things refering to scripts:

There are no char and item scripts in the script editor (despite having selected both packages of Shared and Main at creating the module); has anyone else noticed this? Only scripts manually copied into the Data/Public/Main/Shared/Scripts or /Main/Scripts folders do appear and can be edited; all scripts of Main and Shared are visible in the Ressource Manager but can't be edited and can't be copied to my Module! When I tried to copy them they appeared as ressources in my Module but couldn't be edited. And one of these script ressources can't be deleted from the ressources of my module now; when I try the editor crashes.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
As mentioned in another thread, I'm unable to find the .xlsm stats generating files anywhere in the Steam verison.

In the GOG version they are in Data\Editor\Templates. The whole folder is missing in the Steam version actually.

A
addict
addict
A
They must be extracted first (from the Editor.pak I suppose). Don't know why they weren't added to the Templates folder.

addict
addict
SO god, what is the point of releasing another frustrating editor, larian ? I still need a freaking PhD just to basicly get the things going, or what ? Not that I really care, mind you, the fallout4 and grim dawn editor are just around the corner, and bannerlord might show its modding power before the end of the year, soooo.

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Support
Support

The editor that was released is the editor that exists. What is the point of denying everyone the opportunity to even try it, because some can not figure out how to use it?

addict
addict
If you are adressing me, I am not denying anybody anything. If people want to waste hours figuring basic stuff, like I (and others, 40 mods on steam workshop is a proof of failure imho) did with the first editor, good on them. Just warning that the first release was a huge TIME WASTING mess, and it seems this release is heading the very same way, considering the bug/issues reports.
And yes, the very same editor the dev used to make the game, we know. However, modders and general public are not the devs, right ?

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
A
addict
addict
A
The only serious problem I have with the Editor is that it's not the editor devs used but, currently, a limited version (as already reported). Although the crashes aren't an indication for much testing/polishing I (and, I guess, most of the modders who are determined) can work with them as long as they don't corrupt or delete data or working progresses (yet they are reported for Exit, loading Main module (what I had once today), changing module, terrain creation (under certain, but common, circumstances) or, what is a bit more serious, for trying to delete a ressource copied (not really, s. above) from Main to my module).

Support
Support
Don't know why they weren't added to the Templates folder.

It was an accidental omission, which should be fixed now.

A
addict
addict
A
Just came in with a patch. Thank you smile

Support
Support

I didn't want to derail SniperHF's Necromancer's Crusade topic, but has anyone else had problems generating an AI grid with certain floor tiles?

Half the tiles don't actually have AI which is shockingly bizarre. I placed a whole bunch of stonefloor tiles only to find out they don't paint even with walk on checked....

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
My assumption was they never had the ability in the first place Raze. The ones that work are all related to PoorHouse (and a couple bridge ones), and those are all used in that immaculate compound in D:OS which you walk on.

T
addict
addict
T
There's a bug with the type checking of the Divide() operation on FLOAT3 in itemScripts (and presumably charScripts):

Code
INIT

ITEM:__Me

EVENTS

EVENT DivideBug
VARS
    FLOAT3:_Direction
ON
    OnItemEvent(__Me,"TestDivide")
ACTIONS
    GetForwardDirection(__Me,_Direction)
    Divide(_Direction,3.0)

This will result in the compiler error "FLOAT3 is written as {number;number;number}", but the second argument does in fact have to be a scalar. Multiply() is handled correctly.

On a related note: the line numbers for errors in item/charScripts are often off by several lines (the error is always shown on a higher line than where the error is occurring). I haven't discovered yet which kind of statements get skipped by the line counting.

T
addict
addict
T

On a related note: the line numbers for errors in item/charScripts are often off by several lines (the error is always shown on a higher line than where the error is occurring). I haven't discovered yet which kind of statements get skipped by the line counting.

I've found it: it's empty lines that are skipped. Putting a tab or space on them is sufficient for them to get counted.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Small bug for the pile:
When you rename walls, the name does not change on the list until you save and quit the editor and reload it.

old hand
old hand
Larger bug for the pile: When I create an lsb with the resource manager in my mod, it appears in Public/mymod/Content/[PAK] NAMEOFLSB/NAMEOFLSB.lsb, and then the editor crashes every time I open the mod (or at least after adding a new root template to it, I can't remember). If I move the lsb to Public/mymod/RootTemplates, it doesn't crash anymore.

Either way, another issue is I can't edit the Root Templates I've made. The root templates tab just kind of flashes, and then nothing happens.

journeyman
journeyman
Attaching scripts to RootTemplates works as well! It's a bit different from adding treasure tables, I think.

1) Created char script in my mod module with dependencies on Main and Shared; added it via Ressource Manager to my module.
2) Took the script ID and added an entry to the animals.lsb file (RootTemplates).

Loaded my module in the editor and all rats - in that case - had the new script added.

The other method for custom roots could be:

1. Find the root in the Create and View templates tool
2. Right click on it and select Create new from selected
3. https://monosnap.com/file/UYzYOe5AXB1Xye3S4jnlvm0astRGVj

--Select your mod in drop down
--Insert the name for file your want to store it in (Name.lsb)
--Click Add
--Select that lsb in the drop down
--Enter the name for your root
(next time you just select lsb, don't need to create it)

The created root will be the full copy of the root from Shared, but you will be able to attach any scripts and change any parametres you want.

Still requires manual work, as you need to replace roots of your instances. This can be done in sidebar.

https://monosnap.com/file/YhkFkqcI8f2A78FKc2JVVg1FmycnSj

You select your new created root in the list and this replace most parametrs to your root params

Last edited by Cadmus88; 14/04/16 09:17 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Cadmus88

The other method for custom roots could be:

--Select your mod in drop down
--Insert the name for file your want to store it in (Name.lsb)
--Click Add
--Select that lsb in the drop down
--Enter the name for your root

The created root will be the full copy of the root from Shared, but you will be able to attach any scripts and change any parametres you want.

Still requires manual work, as you need to replace roots of your instances. This can be done in sidebar.

https://monosnap.com/file/YhkFkqcI8f2A78FKc2JVVg1FmycnSj

You select your new created root in the list and this replace most parametrs to your root params

I tried to use that lsb maker thing in the root templates but didn't have too much luck. Will have to try again. That said, I wouldn't want to have to replace the root template of every instance of a common character or object with a slightly modified root template when editing the file directly would be a lot faster. And for root templates that there's only 1 or 2 instances of (e.g., bosses), it'd just be easier to edit the actual instance of the character/object with right click and copy to mod. A "Copy to Mod" function for root templates that would let you edit the actual existing root template would be very useful. The fact that this seems to be able to be done outside the editor but not in it is weird.

Another issue I find rather annoying: reload stats doesn't appear to do anything. Maybe it has a specific use, but it seems to me like it should just reload the text files and update all item and character stats if they've been modified. Is there a specific way to use this tool or an order or something?

Maybe this has been fixed in the patch today? I seem to be updating the EE editor and original editor. Edit: nevermind, probably just steam stuff.

Last edited by Baardvark; 14/04/16 07:04 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Baardvark
[quote=Cadmus88]
I tried to use that lsb maker thing in the root templates but didn't have too much luck.

Yes, there are a few gotchas. Here's how it works for me (text based on Cadmus88's explanation, but with some additions in bold):

--Select your mod in drop down (1)
--Insert the name for file your want to store it in (Name.lsb) (2)
--Click Add (3)
-- Click "continue" in the exception dialog box that appears
--Select that lsb in the drop down (4)
-- Click on the"FileName" field in the "Base" section (different from the "FileName" field at the bottom of the dialog), click on the button with the three dots at the end, navigate to Public\YourMod\RootTemplates (create that folder if it doesn't exist), and enter a name for the lsb file you want to use (Name.lsb). Only do that now, because selecting the lsb from the drop down resets this field back to its value from the original template
--Enter the name for your root (5)
-- If the lsb does not appear in the pop-up menu the next time for some reason, add it again. You also always have to change the FileName under Base for every new RootTemplate you add
-- If you forgot to change the FileName under Base before entering a name in step (5), you have to change the name from step (5) again (if only by deleting and adding the same character) after correcting the FileName under Base before you can continue.

stranger
stranger
Sorry for the stupid question (also I'm not sure it's right thread for it).

But... How to rotate the camera (Editor mode)? I've tried all keyboard keys, checked all toolbar buttons and haven't found anything. In camera Game mode I can easily use in-game keys for the camera rotating, but Game mode has some limits like zoom distance, camera moving speed and so on – which is not comfortable for editing.

Also, it's not very clear how to do some basic things – sometimes I can change a terrain, sometimes I can't and there is no messages/errors/hints for such cases.

Is there any VERY BASIC editor UI description?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by norlin
Sorry for the stupid question (also I'm not sure it's right thread for it).

But... How to rotate the camera (Editor mode)? I've tried all keyboard keys, checked all toolbar buttons and haven't found anything. In camera Game mode I can easily use in-game keys for the camera rotating, but Game mode has some limits like zoom distance, camera moving speed and so on – which is not comfortable for editing.

Middle mouse = pivot camera. Basically hold down middle mouse whenever moving around. Makes it move kinda like an FPS.

Adjust camera speed is shift or control. So hold control + middle mouse + WASD/Arrow keys to go slow. And use shift instead to go fast (not that useful).

Also, if you just read through this forum using the default forum settings it cuts off threads at like the last 6 months. If you go all the way to the bottom, click show topics: From All Dates. There are a lot of old threads people probably don't see because of that. Some of the info is dated and wrong but a lot of it is valuable. Same thing when searching.

If you have any random questions like this feel free to post them. Or you can add me on Steam and bug me that way, username SniperHF.

sometimes I can change a terrain, sometimes I can't and there is no messages/errors/hints for such cases.

Are you talking about textures or shape?

If you are editing the terrain, try making sure that particular piece of terrain is selected on the terrain panel.

Is there any VERY BASIC editor UI description?

Not really.

Last edited by SniperHF; 27/04/16 06:22 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
In editor mode you can rotate camera holding scroll button on your mouse. WASD or arrows are used to fly around. Also you can 'pan' across the map holding both left and right mouse buttons

stranger
stranger
> Middle mouse = pivot camera.

Ahhh... I don't have a middle button. :-( Also, I can't press left and right buttons simultaneously.
Is there any way to adjust the controls? I'm just using Mac with Apple Mouse, not sure it's a good way to buy new mouse especially for the editor %)

I've found when holding "space" button I can move the camera just by moving the mouse, so maybe anything like that is possible for rotating as well? (say, "space + alt" or like that)

> Are you talking about textures or shape?

At least, shape. I've just tried to play a bit with the editor at the first time and found it's very uncomfortable to do anything. For sure it's because I don't know any special hotkeys and so on...

Anyway, thanks a lot! Will try to figure it...

Last edited by norlin; 27/04/16 07:03 PM.
T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by norlin

I've just tried to play a bit with the editor at the first time and found it's very uncomfortable to do anything. For sure it's because I don't know any special hotkeys and so on...

If you haven't yet, make sure to watch the video tutorials: http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=508328

stranger
stranger
JFYI: Autohotkey free software is work just great for the "middle button" issue!

For example, this script allows you to use Ctrl+Right click as Middle click:
Code
^RButton::
Send {Click D M}
While GetKeyState("Control","P")
	Sleep 10
Send {Click U M}
Return

(For those who are also using Apple Magic Mouse or Trackpad)

B
stranger
stranger
B
Hey guys,

i wanted to create a new level and every time i create a terrain i got flackering black visual bug. If i rotate and move my camera i can see a entirely black screen or some parts of my terrain.

If i create a terrain with a size of 300*300 like the tutorial said my whole engine loads 5min and crashes. If i create a smaller terrain like the one in my picture i got this "black visual error".

Thanks for your help and sorry for my bad english

http://imgur.com/tQ5X6zT

Bultzen

N
stranger
stranger
N
I can make a mod to place a book near the starting point of the game, but when I choose to start a new game with the mod, it just refuses to load and returns me back to the main screen.

When I load the mod back up in the editor, it shows my book there.. The game just refuses to run with the mod active.

Something so simple, so complicated. :(

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Did you go into Modding > module settings and set the startup level and Menu level? IIRC for main the startup level should be Character Creation and the menu level is pretty obvious.

You also might need to open the story editor and run a generate definitions + build.

N
stranger
stranger
N
That worked! I would have never found that.. Weird that something like that wouldn't just be inherited from Main.. It's pretty obscure but I guess no mod would work without it!

Thanks so much.. Now I can finally mess around with the game to my heart's content!!

Or at least, crash it spectacularly. hahaha

thankyou

P
stranger
stranger
P
So I've got the GOG version up and running and I whenever I launch even a blank slate standalone module, the main menu theme starts playing like in the original post of this thread. That's not a big deal, but I seem to have a low memory cap severely limiting what I can do. I'm launching the editor from "C:\GOG Games\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition\The Divinty Engine Enhanced Edition\TheDivinityEngine.exe". I have 8GB of RAM which surpasses the listed recommended requirements, but whenever I launch a blank slate standalone module I see in the bottom left corner that I'm already at 19% with a cap of only 1690MB. When I try to create a 300x300 terrain as shown in the tutorial the editor runs out of memory & crashes. I can create a 111x111, but I reach the cap of 100% memory use if I do.

My searches on this website and google have been dead ends. Under preferences my Editor Data Path (C:\GOG Games\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition\Data\Editor\) and Game Data Path are correct (C:\GOG Games\Divinity - Original Sin Enhanced Edition\Data\). Am I overlooking something? Any suggestions?

old hand
old hand
I think they've changed the units of the terrain creator to "patches," where a 2x2 is about equivalent to the original 300x300 terrain size in the tutorial, so a 300x300 or even 111x111 terrain size now would be ginormous. Even a 10x10 terrain is probably really big.

P
stranger
stranger
P
That was problem. Thanks Baardvark. I'm surprised the 111x111 even came up.

A
addict
addict
A
On the subject of modding the main campaign, again:

I've tried my best to add new scripts to existing characters of the main campaign with the Editor (one thing which the Editor is released for!). New module, dependencies on Main and Shared, datapacks Main and Shared. But changes on existing characters of Cyseal (in this case) can't be saved due to missing developer rights. Then copied the Global files of Cyseal (Data\Mods\Main\Globals\Cyseal\Characters) to my mod module and loaded my module: saving changes on characters seems to work, the scripts are added. Closing the editor, starting and loading my module: changes are gone. Adding scripts again: can't be saved due to missing developer rights. That's a basic thing the Editor does not allow. Same with ALL existing objects.
A tool that is released to facilitate those things forces to search through all the Global files and copy Script-IDs to the right places. It's not difficult to do that but requires significantly more time: converting lsb- to lsx-files, copying IDs, finding characters, adding lines, re-converting lsx to lsb, copying the files to the mod folder - and unnecessarily it's always possible to make mistakes here.

Is there any way to make the editor allow changes on existing objects of the main campaign? And if not: will there ever be?

Last edited by Abraxas*; 21/05/16 08:28 AM.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Then copied the Global files of Cyseal (Data\Mods\Main\Globals\Cyseal\Characters) to my mod module and loaded my module: saving changes on characters seems to work, the scripts are added. Closing the editor, starting and loading my module: changes are gone. Adding scripts again: can't be saved due to missing developer rights.

Instead of copying the files yourself, have you tried just:
Right click >Copy selected objects to mod?

I haven't tried using custom made scripts but I have been able to change scripts. For example I changed the tutorial skeleton from having a mustard gas grenade to having an ice grenade.

Last edited by SniperHF; 21/05/16 08:56 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
Where did you right click? Sounds like the solution!

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Where did you right click? Sounds like the solution!

Directly on the object/character. What's hilarious is this functionality has been in the editor since forever but very few people have used it. I've only known about it myself for a few months but I don't mess with main much either.

One of those things it would have been nice to know existed. In the early days there were a couple dozen threads on getting main modding working. Would have been nice if someone from Larian popped in and said HEY DO THIS!.

Last edited by SniperHF; 21/05/16 09:20 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
You're right! You can right click on objects and get much more options than when you click right on objects in the items and characters lists. Really weird. I'll try to add my scripts later. Thank you very much. I think you saved my precious life time!

A
addict
addict
A
It works. I didn't know that D:OS has puzzles even in the Editor. Thank you a lot!

If you need something for your A Necromancer's Crusade mod (maybe scripts for 'ambience' NPCs) just order.

A
addict
addict
A
I already posted this issue in the scripting thread but it's more related to the editor itself:

I get an error message after copying local characters of the main campaign to my own module (dependencies on Main and Shared, datapacks Main and Shared; right click on the character, copy object(s) to my module as Sniper mentioned above) next time the level gets loaded. The editor says (refering to VargoBoss, as an example):

Conflicted local template UUID 'fad3dbb1-869e-4199-84bd-37c1570c73d1' of type 'character' with name 'CYS_VargoBoss' when loading level without sublevels, this shouldn't happen?

All local characters throw this error. Global characters can be transfered to my module without any problems.

Can it be ignored?

EDIT: Copying files from Data\Mods\Main\Levels\Cyseal\Characters\ to ...\MyMod\... implies the same warnings for local characters.

Last edited by Abraxas*; 23/05/16 08:10 PM. Reason: Additions

A
addict
addict
A
Some more puzzling things:

I prepared my module, all scripts, stats, roottemplates etc. in place, modul settings set. I start the game and activate my mod (as expansion of Main). I start a new game and enter the character creation. Now when I passed character creation and the game starts there should be three objects in the players' inventories: 1 book from the Player char script (added OnInit) and 2 objects from Equipment.txt file (MaleHero and FemaleHero). There are the following issues:

- the 2 objects from Equipment.txt never get added. But they get added when switching to ingame mode in the Editor (MyModule).
- the book gets added if I pass character creation without changing or switching the preselected preset class. But it doesn't appear in inventory if I switch the class or change a class. But the modified player script (which adds the book) is definitely added to the players: it also contains the Healing AI which always works.

I can't find a reason for that.

EDIT: I added all objects to the class entries in Equipment.txt now. That's viable. But the difference between games inside and outside the editor* (refering to FemaleHero and MaleHero from Equipment.txt) and the difference between changing class and not changing class related to CharacterAddToInventory via Player script are strange.

* there were more reports (e. g. from Sniper) about differences between the Editor game mode and the normal game mode

Last edited by Abraxas*; 24/05/16 09:24 PM. Reason: Additions

journeyman
journeyman
Some more puzzling things:

- the book gets added if I pass character creation without changing or switching the preselected preset class. But it doesn't appear in inventory if I switch the class or change a class. But the modified player script (which adds the book) is definitely added to the players: it also contains the Healing AI which always works.

Yeah, I think I can explain that. So your OnInit() event triggers first time when character creation screen is loaded, at that moment you book is added to inventory. But when you switch presets, the inventory probably is destroyed so at the moment the actual game starts, you already don't have it.

In the editor you have it because OnInit() is triggered when you switch to game mode and inventory is not destroyed.

Could you try use different event to add your item.

Ideally will be to use Osiris to do that. But if you do it in scripts you can try this

Code
CHARACTER:__Me
INT:%BookGiven = 0

EVENTS

EVENT GiveBook

ON
	OnCharacterCreationStopped(__Me)
ACTIONS
	IF "c1"
		IsEqual(%BookGiven, 0)
	THEN
		Set(%BookGiven, 1)
		CharacterAddToInventory(Your_Stuff)
	ENDIF

Happy modding!

Last edited by Cadmus88; 25/05/16 01:57 PM.
journeyman
journeyman

EDIT: I added all objects to the class entries in Equipment.txt now. That's viable. But the difference between games inside and outside the editor* (refering to FemaleHero and MaleHero from Equipment.txt) and the difference between changing class and not changing class related to CharacterAddToInventory via Player script are strange.

>I added all objects to the class entries in Equipment.txt

This is the correct solution. Alike the post above, when character creation starts, stats of player are switched from MalePlayer to class stat so the equipment changes too.

In the editor when you switch to game mod stats do not change so MalePlayer is kept, that's why you had this difference

A
addict
addict
A
Thank you for the good information, Cadmus!

I'm planning to offer one version (with a few restrictions) that doesn't require a new game, so I add the book via char script. I will try it with OnCharacterCreationStopped.

Do you also have an explanation for the Local Template conflict when copying local characters to a module?

journeyman
journeyman
Thank you for the good information, Cadmus!

Do you also have an explanation for the Local Template conflict when copying local characters to a module?

The quote from tool programmer

It will probably work as expected

[12:55 PM]
the assert doesn't account for modding

A
addict
addict
A
Perfect. Thank you smile

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
New Problem: Talent requirements do not work in mods.

So if I take a Requirements.txt file in the same structure:
Data\Public\A_Necromancer's_Crusade_7c57ebf1-6a07-47fc-99e7-8131a2d5ca05\Stats\Generated\Data

It does absolutely nothing. None of my changes take effect.

But if I place a Requirements.txt file in the Shared folder itself:
\Data\Public\Shared\Stats\Generated\Data

It works fine, the requirements change. But the mod has to inherit it from Shared which means I can't distribute it via Steam.

All of the other stat files work fine.

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
I am not sure if Osiris or general engine bugs go here as well, but I'll post one here:

I tried deleting a single previously registered item with ItemHandleDelete( _ItemHandle ) but that deletes a complete stack of items instead of only a single instance if the item with that handle is on a stack.

So either a stack 'steals' an item handle from an item when it is added to it or (more likely) an item is first placed on a stack and might even get its own handle but events like ItemTemplateAddedToCharacter() return the handle of the complete stack instead of the handle of the added item.

So one call is definitely buggy and more are very likely buggy:

1. ItemHandleDelete() is buggy because it can delete complete stacks when this should be impossible
2. ItemTemplateAddedToCharacter and ...AddedToContainer are probably buggy, because they return a stack handle instead of an item handle
3. all ItemHandleMoveTo... can be called buggy, because they most likely only move the top of the stack instead of one specific item (what else could they do if they don't get correct data ?)
4. All item functions that have to do with handles are probably buggy because they treat stacks as if those were single entities instead of entity arrays. (but as said above, what else could they do if the information aquisition functions are buggy already ?)

Other bugs I found:
1. missing documentation and support
2. missing documentation and support
3. DOS/2
4. DOS/2
9. DOS/2 blocking any bugfixes and support
10. sometimes, the editor does NOT crash ;-)

A
addict
addict
A
I don't know if that's already reported: one of my story scripts became 'read only' for no apparent reasons. I created it in a module with datapacks and dependencies Main and Shared, edited and saved (and built story with it) several times without problems. It's not a big problem, I edit the lsx file, but the editor behaves strange here.

10. sometimes, the editor does NOT crash ;-)

I noticed that there are several situations that highly increase chance for a crash when closing the editor:
- a game object is selected
- a window/bar is open (inspector, resource manager etc.)
- unsaved changes

If I close all windows, save changes and don't have an object selected I can close without crashes. But there are more ways to crash the editor and more reasons to be discovered.

Another issue related to char scripting: I really don't understand the logic of script changes applying or not applying without level reload, story reload or editor reload. Sometimes (but I can't see a rule here) only restarting the editor helps. And this doesn't only happen for OnInit actions (which at least require reloading the level to initialize the script again) but also for simple reaction changes.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So I've noticed that a lot of the animal root templates have no sight at all. I don't think it's a stats issue because I can assign them stats entries that do for sure have sight and no vision cone comes up.

None of the cows and most of the dogs are the ones I can think of right now.

This is kind of annoying since I had a cool script where my farmers went around feeding the animals, but they can't see the food so they won't eat it......

T
addict
addict
T
If you don't mind that they go to food that is merely nearby rather than to food that they can see, you may be able to use something like the following, but with ItemGet() instead:

Code
REACTION PlayerDetected,500
USAGE ALL
VARS
	CHARACTER:_Char
CHECK "c1&c2"
	CharacterGet(_Char,__Me,3.0,Lowest,Distance,null,null,null,null,null)
	CharacterIsPlayer(_Char)
ACTIONS
	GlobalSetEvent("LEP_HitPlayer")

After you assign this reaction to an animal, it definitely triggers when a player character moves into range. I only tested it with both the animal and the player moving though, and I don't know whose movement triggers the re-evaluation of the CharacterGet() condition. If it's the player, then this probably won't help.

If the above reaction does not trigger automatically, a more complicated workaround could be to detect when food is dropped, and in that case move the animals to the food if it's nearby. There are some caveats with this though:
1) a "food has been dropped" event can only be detected from Osiris, so you then have to broadcast an event to your charScripts (which then can use ItemGet())
2) don't use ItemHandleDropped() in combination with ItemGet() in a charScript, because when ItemHandleDropped() fires, ItemGet() won't be able to find it yet. Instead, use ItemTemplateMoved(), which triggers after the item has in fact been dropped. This event will obviously trigger in more situations, but given that you just use it trigger ItemGet(), that's not really a problem.

This is the story handler for 2) from my ReSource mod (which has been dormant for quite a while now because I've been busy with other things, but one day...)

//REGION Detect new items available in/on loading/unloading platforms
// Don't use ItemHandleDropped(): charScript's ItemGet() only finds items
// after the subsequent ItemTemplateMoved() event has fired, and we also
// want to detect items that were only moved and not necessarily picked up
// and dropped.
//
// Note: this will also be triggered when a harvester or player picks up
// such an item, and there is no way to know who did it...
IF
ItemTemplateMoved(_ItemTemplate,_)
AND
DB_RESOURCE_TransportLoadingPlatformTrigger(_,_Platform,_)
AND
ItemGetVarFixedString(_Platform,"LoadItemTemplateGUID1",_GUID)
AND
StringContains(_ItemTemplate,_GUID,1)
THEN
ItemSetEvent(_Platform,"RESOURCE_ResourceCollectionPlaceNewItemAvailable");

A
addict
addict
A
So I've noticed that a lot of the animal root templates have no sight at all. I don't think it's a stats issue because I can assign them stats entries that do for sure have sight and no vision cone comes up.

Animals not having vision cones depends on SpotSneakers (sidebar) which is set false by default for them. Or did I get you wrong?

ItemGet, as Tinkerer suggests, works fine for animals. I've rewritten the animal script a while ago; they react on food as expected:

Code
INIT
CHARACTER:__Me
EXTERN FIXEDSTRING:%FoodTemplate1 = "DONTEAT"
EXTERN FIXEDSTRING:%FoodTemplate2 = "DONTEAT"
EXTERN FIXEDSTRING:%FoodTemplate3 = "DONTEAT"
EXTERN FIXEDSTRING:%FoodTemplate4 = "DONTEAT"
EXTERN FIXEDSTRING:%FoodTemplate5 = "DONTEAT"
EXTERN FIXEDSTRING:%FoodTemplate6 = "DONTEAT"
EXTERN FLOAT:%CombatDist = 7
EXTERN FLOAT:%PeaceDist = 12
FLOAT:%Distance = 12

BEHAVIOUR

REACTION ReactOnFood, 1200
USAGE ALL
VARS	
	INT:_WalkOrRun
	ITEM:_ClosestFood
	FLOAT:_Time
	FLOAT:_Wait
CHECK "!c1&(c2|c3|c4|c5|c6|c7)&!c8"
	IsInDialog(__Me)
	ItemGet(_ClosestFood,__Me,%Distance,Lowest,Distance,%FoodTemplate1) 
	ItemGet(_ClosestFood,__Me,%Distance,Lowest,Distance,%FoodTemplate2)
	ItemGet(_ClosestFood,__Me,%Distance,Lowest,Distance,%FoodTemplate3)
	ItemGet(_ClosestFood,__Me,%Distance,Lowest,Distance,%FoodTemplate4)
	ItemGet(_ClosestFood,__Me,%Distance,Lowest,Distance,%FoodTemplate5)
	ItemGet(_ClosestFood,__Me,%Distance,Lowest,Distance,%FoodTemplate6)	
	IsInDangerousSurface(_ClosestFood)
ACTIONS
	GetRandom(_WalkOrRun,0,1)
	CharacterMoveTo(_ClosestFood,_WalkOrRun)
	CharacterUseItem(_ClosestFood)
	GetRandomBetween(_Wait,0,3)
	Sleep(_Wait)
	GetRandom(_Time,1,3,5,15,60)
	StartTimer("HungryAgain",_Time,0)
	SetPriority("ReactOnFood",0)
INTERRUPT
	Reset()
	GetRandomBetween(_Time,1,60)
	StartTimer("HungryAgain",_Time,0)
	SetPriority("ReactOnFood",0)

EVENTS

EVENT SetDistanceCombat
ON
	OnCombatStarted()
ACTIONS
	Set(%Distance,%CombatDist)

EVENT SetDistancePeace
ON
	OnCombatEnded()
ACTIONS
	Set(%Distance,%PeaceDist)

EVENT PeaceHungry
ON
	OnTimer("HungryAgain")
ACTIONS
	SetPriority("ReactOnFood",1200)		

Take care that animals move to the object first and then use the item. Otherwise they will get stuck if the item gets removed before they used it.

Last edited by Abraxas*; 12/10/16 09:25 AM. Reason: Corrected vision cones information

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Baardvark
[quote=Cadmus88]
I tried to use that lsb maker thing in the root templates but didn't have too much luck.

Yes, there are a few gotchas. Here's how it works for me (text based on Cadmus88's explanation, but with some additions in bold):

--Select your mod in drop down (1)
--Insert the name for file your want to store it in (Name.lsb) (2)
--Click Add (3)
-- Click "continue" in the exception dialog box that appears
--Select that lsb in the drop down (4)
-- Click on the"FileName" field in the "Base" section (different from the "FileName" field at the bottom of the dialog), click on the button with the three dots at the end, navigate to Public\YourMod\RootTemplates (create that folder if it doesn't exist), and enter a name for the lsb file you want to use (Name.lsb). Only do that now, because selecting the lsb from the drop down resets this field back to its value from the original template
--Enter the name for your root (5)
-- If the lsb does not appear in the pop-up menu the next time for some reason, add it again. You also always have to change the FileName under Base for every new RootTemplate you add
-- If you forgot to change the FileName under Base before entering a name in step (5), you have to change the name from step (5) again (if only by deleting and adding the same character) after correcting the FileName under Base before you can continue.

So i can`t add new root. I done all, but after reload Editor, it can not find new object in root viewer ( but LSB 2kb in RootTemplate was created)

F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Aaaaah, a dead thread brought back to life by a skilled necromancer ... ;-)

As I mentioned in your own thread, rename the folder you use for root templates from 'RootTemplate' to 'RootTemplates' and see if that works.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard