Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
This guy awhile back figured out how to get the game to recognize old version mods and it's the same method I tried before. This was before the EE editor. When I did that it caused the game just to load a blank screen.

http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads...mp;Words=meta&Search=true#Post578307

So I tried it again since Abraxas brought it up ,with a few of my own tweaks and....

Well it freaking works
[Linked Image]

It threw some errors, probably serious ones. Some of the root templates are gone/renamed. Some of the errors were about script syntax.

But it loads, I could talk in dialog, combat worked.

I'm still not sure if it's worth the effort of trying to track down and make sure all the errors are cleared, or to simply remake it. But I'm shocked it was so easy.

Here is what I added to the meta.lsx file:

Add this one under datapacks:
Code
<node id="DataPack">
<attribute id="Folder" value="Shared" type="30" />
<attribute id="MD5" value="" type="23" />
<attribute id="Name" value="Shared" type="22" />
<attribute id="UUID" value="2bd9bdbe-22ae-4aa2-9c93-205880fc6564" type="22" />
<attribute id="Version" value="268435456" type="4" />
</node>

Add this line under moduleinfo after the "Tags" line:
Code
<attribute id="Type" value="EE" type="22" />

And on the final line change the Value= of the version number to 268435456.

See the Spoiler for how the whole thing should look, obviously fill in your own mod info as required.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<save>
<header version="2" time="1450320913" />
<version major="1" minor="3" revision="0" build="0" />
<region id="Config">
<node id="root">
<children>
<node id="DataPacks">
<children>
<node id="DataPack">
<attribute id="Folder" value="Dunamis_841946b6-cb4e-4526-85c1-88519fb06bf5" type="30" />
<attribute id="Name" value="Dunamis" type="22" />
<attribute id="UUID" value="841946b6-cb4e-4526-85c1-88519fb06bf5" type="22" />
</node>
<node id="DataPack">
<attribute id="Folder" value="Shared" type="30" />
<attribute id="Name" value="Shared" type="22" />
<attribute id="UUID" value="2bd9bdbe-22ae-4aa2-9c93-205880fc6564" type="22" />
</node>
<node id="DataPack">
<attribute id="Folder" value="Main" type="30" />
<attribute id="Name" value="Main" type="22" />
<attribute id="UUID" value="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000" type="22" />
</node>
</children>
</node>
<node id="DependentModules" />
<node id="ModuleInfo">
<attribute id="Author" value="SniperHF" type="30" />
<attribute id="Description" value="Strange creatures roaming the valley, a town in distress, and you are stuck in the middle of it. Discover the hidden truth surrounding Dunamis and unite the populace in order to drive the marauding creatures out of the valley once and for all." type="30" />
<attribute id="Folder" value="Dunamis_841946b6-cb4e-4526-85c1-88519fb06bf5" type="30" />
<attribute id="MenuLevelName" value="test1" type="22" />
<attribute id="Name" value="Dunamis" type="22" />
<attribute id="NumPlayers" value="1" type="1" />
<attribute id="StartupLevelName" value="test1" type="22" />
<attribute id="Tags" value="" type="30" />
<attribute id="Type" value="EE" type="22" />
<attribute id="UUID" value="841946b6-cb4e-4526-85c1-88519fb06bf5" type="22" />
</node>
</children>
</node>
</region>
</save>

Last edited by SniperHF; 23/03/16 07:57 PM.
A
addict
addict
A
Haha, I knew it! We sat on our mods for months, expecting them to be incompatible with the new editor, but under the surface lying the possibility, waiting for its revelation.
I used some old templates for my LivingWorld mod and saw them working; same with the IDs of all the game objects. So I got an idea from that...

Thank you for figuring this out and showing how to make it work! Fantastic that it's possible to transfer our long resting maps!

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I'm gonna keep playing with it today and see where I'm at. Some of these errors are pretty serious though. I think they are causing a memory leak because it seems to eventually crash the game.

One not very serious error I'm finding right now is that some of the syntax is more specific. For example you used to be able to do a CharacterMoveToTrigger call without using the 1/0 for Run or no. Now it throws an error if you don't include it.

But I have gotten it to rebuild the story after about a half hour of checking those kinds of things.

Last edited by SniperHF; 23/03/16 08:16 PM.
old hand
old hand
Nice progress, thanks for the update!

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by SniperHF
One not very serious error I'm finding right now is that some of the syntax is more specific. For example you used to be able to do a CharacterMoveToTrigger call without using the 1/0 for Run or no. Now it throws an error if you don't include it.

With the previous version those "calls with missing parameter" were simply interpreted as setting facts/database entries (i.e., they did not result in any moving; if your character nevertheless moved, another CharacterMoveTo* probably also got triggered). This new "limitation" of not being able to overload facts with the same name as a call is a godsent, as far as I'm concerned. Too bad it doesn't seem to behave the same for procs (passing the wrong number of parameters for a PROC still silently results in defining a fact with that name).

It seems crazy that this feature was only added now, as its absence must have cost many hours of script debugging in the past due to forgotten parameters.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So after some more testing I've run into a roadblock.

I can get the story to build but something gets corrupted. When I close the editor and try to open the mod again it crashes. It will work fine until you close it though.

I'm pretty sure this is caused by the file (which is generated during building) called story.div.osi. I'm not sure yet why it causes the crash but when I delete the file my mod loads. I have to rebuild the story but it works.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Okay after further testing of the build issue, I've narrowed it down to 2 of my 40 or so goal txt files. This still makes absolutely no sense to me since they will build and play in game, yet somehow they are corrupting the mod after closing the editor.

Simply removing the two specific files (found through trial and error) allows me to build, save, close the editor, and open everything back up in working order.

Now to figure out what script in those files is making things break. It's only about 1400 lines of script..... suspicion

Link Copied to Clipboard