Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Does this do anything? It doesn't seem to.

http://i.imgur.com/ocUrFNH.png?1

Last edited by SniperHF; 11/06/16 09:51 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
You mean the hardcore object appears on all difficulties?

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I actually haven't checked objects, just characters. But yeah they do.

Temporarily I've just been scripting them out using a query which isn't too hard.

One thing that does work is the Sidebar scripts with their own hardcore option. So if I give a mage a fireball spell and check the separate HC only box within the skill that does work.

A
addict
addict
A
Most characters of the main campaign seem to be story scripted as well. But I haven't found a command for the hardcore dog at the bridge to Cyseal. The hc only box is checked for him. So actually it should work? Maybe you can take the dog as study object. How is it possible for him to exist unless he exists on all difficulties? Maybe I missed something in the story scripts (which I'm not familiar with).

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I took a look at the dog, couldn't find anything on his charscripts that would do it either. Maybe in the editor it doesn't work but in game it does?

Oh well this has worked well enough:
I've just been doing this
IF
CharacterEnteredRegion(_Player,"levelName")
AND
IsHardcoreMode(0)
AND
NOT DB_LevelNameHCCheck(1)
THEN
DB_LevelNameHCCheck(1);
CharacterSetOnStage(HCCharacter,0);

I think a lot of the MAIN characters are story scripted because they spawn as opposed to walking around. I use very few spawning encounters in my mods since I like to let players approach the situation.

Last edited by SniperHF; 12/06/16 02:10 AM.
A
addict
addict
A
I use very few spawning encounters in my mods since I like to let players approach the situation.

That's a good decision. wink

I've tested if hardcore NPCs appear in game on other difficulties: they don't. So it works fine with just checking the hc box.

Beside that: Do you check attributes or traits in dialog situations? Is there a handy way to do that since they can't be checked directly?

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Abraxas*

I've tested if hardcore NPCs appear in game on other difficulties: they don't. So it works fine with just checking the hc box.

Are you testing it on a main dependent mod by chance? Because It definitely doesn't work for me on my standalone mod.

Beside that: Do you check attributes or traits in dialog situations? Is there a handy way to do that since they can't be checked directly?

The mod I'm working on now is kinda light so I can finish it fast. So I have very limited dialog checks.

In Dunamis though I did a full array of checks, I did this by using some pretty awesome scripts TheMasterRat made and included in his standalone project template. Dunamis would have been substantially weaker without it.

You can still download it here and just pick the scripts out:
http://larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=563896&page=1

I think they are called Global_Abilities, Global_Talents, Global_Attributes.

I can verify that tomorrow. Then you can simply check in the keyword editor for a global flag corresponding to that trait/ability/attribute. The one big drawback is you have to run the check every time dialog starts. This adds a slight delay to dialogs launching in the editor but works fine in game. You could move when it tabulates the check scores but then it wouldn't be 100% accurate per each dialog since items can add/subtract these things.

The template was an effort for the old version to get all the base scripts working for standalone mods. Unlike in the EE editor the old one didn't have them by default. The "shared" system wasn't implemented yet. It actually worked really well, it's a shame by the time it was finished a lot of people abandoned the editor. I didn't use the template myself but I did borrow a few things :P

A
addict
addict
A
Only dependency is Shared. But both with datapack Shared and Main.

Thank you for the link! That's exactly what I was looking for. Sad that EE didn't introduce more conditions for dialogs. Skills and traits would be useful, too. But I think I will be able to script checks for them, in orientation on TheMasterRat. Good man!

My aim is to implement stat checks for the main campaign in version 2 of my mod. Version 1 will contain AI options for companions. But their willingness to follow your commands will depend on abilites like leadership, charisma (to convince them in the end), your traits and certain other abilities, and maybe story progress. But I see D:OS's dialog system is quite limited. One reason more to look forward to D:OS 2!

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted by Abraxas*
Skills and traits would be useful, too. But I think I will be able to script checks for them, in orientation on TheMasterRat. Good man!

You could definitely make a trait check script similar to the ones in the template. Pretty sure all the queries are there for it.

A
addict
addict
A
You could definitely make a trait check script similar to the ones in the template. Pretty sure all the queries are there for it.

I have looked through the files. Fantastic!

I've noticed that events for attributes never get cleared (problematic when boosted before dialog or after respec). I have almost no knowledge about story scripting but I think I did it right. The result is as expected.

IF
DialogEnded(_DialogName,_InstanceID)
THEN
ProcClearEvents();

PROC
ProcClearEvents()
AND
DB_EventSet(_Event)
THEN
GlobalClearEvent(_Event);
NOT DB_EventSet(_Event);

These files are really precious. Thank you for letting me know.

EDIT: Forgot to remove the DB_EventSet entries after clearing the events.

Last edited by Abraxas*; 23/06/16 11:40 AM.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I don't remember if it cleared them or not. One of things having no-testing help for Dunamis made me miss :P

I assume you added the DB_EventSet(_Event) to the DialogStarted statement as well? You might want to double check if that isn't causing too much delay on the procedures. For instance in my new mod I have a few checks that take place during the greeting, and if the timing is off even a little bit the events don't get set in time.

One workaround for this is I've added a buffer dialog line so there would be one line of dialog like:
NPC - Oh Hello There! - no check
Press continue....
NPC - Wow you look strong, maybe you can help me with....-Strength 8 check.

You could try putting the clear event on DialogStarted as well, and run it in a chain of procedures right before the dialog. Though that might cause even more delay/lag.

Dialog ended is probably the best though, but just kicking around a few extra ideas.

A
addict
addict
A
I assume you added the DB_EventSet(_Event) to the DialogStarted statement as well?

The MasterRat saves every global event for attributes in the database called DB_EventSet; so it's already in there.
For instance in my new mod I have a few checks that take place during the greeting, and if the timing is off even a little bit the events don't get set in time.

Might get a bit complicated for speedrunners. wink I will be aware of that.

Link Copied to Clipboard