Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Considering how much the other skill trees were wanted, I'm tossing it here: how about making them available as Patches?

I want to ruin myself: I'd pay for a Bard/Unarmed Combatant Skill Trees DLC/Expansion Pack.
for the previous game, a DLC named "zandalor's trunks" was made. I can't see how a skill tree part of DLC (or a full expansion pack) could go wrong.

addict
addict
I'd prefer if they design the modding tools good enough so that someone can just make a mod for it. smile

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Ayvah
I'd prefer if they design the modding tools good enough so that someone can just make a mod for it. smile

I also hope that, and in fact, it was one of the stretch goals. But they do have them ready, at least in concept, and not implementing them seems like an absolute waste.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
[...] not implementing them seems like an absolute waste.

I disagree, implementing them means investing time, work, which also require money.

If Larian had the resources to implement all the skill trees, they wouldn't have asked us to pick two by popular vote. I assume they have some math done as to what the profit/loss of implementing x number of skill trees is.

I'd also like to have more choice, but I guess I'm already satisfied, because I really wanted summoning master and it's in. But to call it an absolute waste is likely an exaggeration.

Plus, we're still only looking at what will be available upon release.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by EinTroll
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem
[...] not implementing them seems like an absolute waste.

I disagree, implementing them means investing time, work, which also require money.

If Larian had the resources to implement all the skill trees, they wouldn't have asked us to pick two by popular vote. I assume they have some math done as to what the profit/loss of implementing x number of skill trees is.

I'd also like to have more choice, but I guess I'm already satisfied, because I really wanted summoning master and it's in. But to call it an absolute waste is likely an exaggeration.

Plus, we're still only looking at what will be available upon release.

Hence why I said as "DLC" or patch. Or as part of the Expansion pack. bioware did both, with new classes in SoU and HotU; plus the Purple Knight of Cormyr in their final patch.

addict
addict
Actually, I'm strongly against this as DLC and I don't think new classes should be introduced in an expansion.

Adding an extra class in DLC feels like horse armour to me.

Any changes to the mechanics in an expansion shouldn't just "add a class" because then you feel like you have to play that specific class to fully experience the expansion. Any changes to the mechanics of the game as part of an expansion should be applied broadly, in a way that affects all classes.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Actually, I'm strongly against this as DLC and I don't think new classes should be introduced in an expansion.

Adding an extra class in DLC feels like horse armour to me.

Any changes to the mechanics in an expansion shouldn't just "add a class" because then you feel like you have to play that specific class to fully experience the expansion. Any changes to the mechanics of the game as part of an expansion should be applied broadly, in a way that affects all classes.

Which is a good point in any other game. BUT considering DOS2 will be just as "superficial and carefree" (in term of skill/class development) as the first game, enforcing a class can't work. Offering it, yes.

I don't remember HotU requiring to be completed as Red Dragon Disciple...

addict
addict
There is a benefit to mixing and matching magic skills in order to combine their effects and to be prepared for enemies with specific weaknesses. However, there is no benefit from "cross-classing" by playing a mage using a sword or bow.

The game still has a limited range of de facto classes, generally defined by the weapon skills, but mostly limited by the primary attribute associated with that weapon. You pick your weapon type, then you build your skills around that weapon's primary attribute.

I'll admit it would be cool if -- as part of an expansion -- they added a range of skills that deepen each of these existing classes.

However, if you introduced something like the "unarmed combatant"... Then as a new weapon skill this really would translate into introducing a new de facto class.

N
old hand
old hand
N

My rule is never EVER hinge anything on the modding community to "fix" or add a missing "Feature".

For every game they manage to do this for there are 10 more that do not.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Neonivek
My rule is never EVER hinge anything on the modding community to "fix" or add a missing "Feature".

My point is that the default campaign of D:OS2 should not need fixing with extra classes as DLC or as mods, even if the DLC is free. Larian should either include the classes in the original release, or save them for the sequel. (New skills may be acceptable as part of an expansion, as per my earlier post.)

However, if someone wants to add more classes into their custom campaign, or if they feel a need to retrofit a new class into the default campaign, then by all means mod to your heart's content.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Neonivek

My point is that the default campaign of D:OS2 should not need fixing with extra classes as DLC or as mods, even if the DLC is free. Larian should either include the classes in the original release, or save them for the sequel. (New skills may be acceptable as part of an expansion, as per my earlier post.)

However, if someone wants to add more classes into their custom campaign, or if they feel a need to retrofit a new class into the default campaign, then by all means mod to your heart's content.

Why a new campaign? I want to enrich the original one laugh

addict
addict
Imo a sensible dlc = some new mechanics/features (like skill trees) + new story arc

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by 4verse
Imo a sensible dlc = some new mechanics/features (like skill trees) + new story arc

Exactly like Hordes of the Underdark and Shadows of Undrentide.

veteran
veteran
I wouldn't expect any free DLC to add new skill trees, and Larian does not like paid DLC. Modding in new skills would require a lot of work to make the more complicated ideas. I don't have any optimism that modders can make skill trees as good as the base game ones. You'd need a modding team because a team made the base game skills.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I wouldn't expect any free DLC to add new skill trees, and Larian does not like paid DLC. Modding in new skills would require a lot of work to make the more complicated ideas. I don't have any optimism that modders can make skill trees as good as the base game ones. You'd need a modding team because a team made the base game skills.

Not with that attitude, they won't happen!

veteran
veteran
You mean, "realistic"?

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by Stabbey
You mean, "realistic"?

I mean "defeatist". Skyrim and Morrowind have had plenty of fantastic DLC, for example. And a still thriving community.

Last edited by Dark_Ansem; 11/08/16 06:13 PM.
One thing at a time. Way too early to talk about this. But it would be cool to have other skill trees no doubt, we shall just have to wait and see.

veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Originally Posted by BlueGuy
One thing at a time. Way too early to talk about this. But it would be cool to have other skill trees no doubt, we shall just have to wait and see.

Especially considering they have them already planned out in detail.

addict
addict
I'm probably wrong, but I got it in my head that they were not planned in actual detail until they were decided by vote.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard