Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
So which is better, Enhanced Edition or Classic edition?

I have played some Classic Edition and enjoyed it, but I am planning to start a multiplayer game and I am wondering whether to stick with classic or try out the Enhanced Edition. Normally I would just go with the latest version, but I have heard some negative feedback about EE, including the removal of skills, the game rendering entire skill groups impotent such as fire magic, and the enemies using cheap attacks such as teleporting party members into lava.

Has anyone played both versions, which do that prefer?

Thanks for the info.

old hand
old hand
I definitely wouldn't call fire magic impotent in the EE.

But I'm on team classic. I prefer the less heavy handed story and the voice acting in the EE is frankly grating for the most part. The technical upgrades in the EE have a lot going for them though.

Story isn't much consideration though in MP especially since you've already played it. I'd say play the EE and then pick which one you liked better. If nothing else the DX11 version of the game engine runs MUCH better than classic, the backstab indicator is nice, and tactician mode is desirable for a replay.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
I prefer the classic one too: some of the tweaks in the EE are an improvement, others I can live with, but I'd say that the classic Original Original Sin has much better voice acting.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I like the EE more. There are some aspects of the story that were better in the original, but I think the narrative got better and there are enough improvements of the gameplay that make this version the superior one. It also looks prettier. The older I get, the more thankful I am for that.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I, for one am a little torn.

I finished entirely the classic one, and now am playing the EE with a friend.
I kinda feel the skill system hasn't really been improved.
The fact that you are limited on so many level makes the whole thing less readable. You need the skill level AND the level. The fact that you can't use all the skills in the end is a little sad, and I must say makes some spell less learnable, for example with a knight, the use of learning the spell that removes falling status is a little meh considering you can only have 6 skills.
Plus yeah, some funny skills aren't there anymore (although, for this, I must say i'm not sure, it's that bad, there was a charm skill for probably every class, which was a little OP).
The voice acting was indeed better on the first one, and I must say, since I'm not really in the mood for cheese, the game could have gone with less voices overall.
We're playing split screen, and I must say, for us it's a huge addition.

I don't think there are huge differences between the two though, and the interface addition are a good addition so, maybe EE is the way to go, people mostly think classic is better because... well, they played the game, so if you skip it, you'll have a good experience no matter what (and legendary items!).

Last edited by Linio; 29/08/16 10:02 AM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Linio
I'm not really in the mood for cheese

:o

I know we all have our little foibles, but seriously, there are boundaries of good taste and acceptability that must be respected. I'm not sure you should admit so such heinous, er... heinousity in these parts.

J'aime le fromage.
F
enthusiast
enthusiast
F
Originally Posted by vometia
Originally Posted by Linio
I'm not really in the mood for cheese

:o

I know we all have our little foibles, but seriously, there are boundaries of good taste and acceptability that must be respected. I'm not sure you should admit so such heinous, er... heinousity in these parts.

True.

For my personal taste, it is Junius and Bibius and most of all the conversation between the two sailors in Cyseal Harbour that serve as best examples of really bad changes. That would not have been necessary.

As if they had known that, Larian also managed to remove exactly my three favourite music tracks from the play lists:
- 'The Power of Innocence'
- the piano version of the Divine Divinity main theme (I think)
- 'The Mysterious Guest' from the Homestead.
Job well done.
(The rest is not bad but not as good as the mentioned ones, for my personal taste. When testing stuff for modding, I found out that at least 'The Power of Innocence' plays on Cyseal beach start ... after staying there forever while testing some things.)

And it is more than annoying to get that underwater feeling every time you move the camera to any undiscovered (fog of war) area. Most annoying when you're upstairs - in the King Crab for example - and suddenly hear the ocean.

Music suddenly completely stops. Also happens a lot, did not happen in classic as far as I remember.

So despite of all things improved in EE, sound is definitely not one of those things.

A
addict
addict
A
And it is more than annoying to get that underwater feeling every time you move the camera to any undiscovered (fog of war) area. Most annoying when you're upstairs - in the King Crab for example - and suddenly hear the ocean.

Oh yes. Larian should definitely consider patching that out. It's completely out of place and all standalone mods suffer from it as well.

My mods for DOS 1 EE: FasterAnimations - QuietDay - Samaritan
F
stranger
stranger
F
"and the enemies using cheap attacks such as teleporting party members into lava".

hahah, this is cheap, but not a problem at all. They are using the environment and as you can do the same, I think it is fair.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I know this is a bump but I've been playing a different game for a while and have only been monitoring at the GOG site. I haven't yet played EE but I can say that you can get thrown into lava by a teleport in classic too. Happens with the Deathknight Lord near the entrance where you fond what's his name, the mage you've been searching for for half the game.

I can also say that classic is a hard act to follow so many will not like changes that many others will so it's likely a self experience thing. Heck, by the time I get to it (I plan on playing all the older ones first in game chronological order and haven't yet finished "Divine Divinity", I won't remember what changed anyway smile

Last edited by caninelegion; 11/03/17 01:12 PM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard