Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Kezza Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
It's been a while since I looked at this and I am yet to play the first one but I am a huge lover of Divinity 2: Dragon Knight Saga (Hoping to see more of the dragon knights :P)

Anyway I was looking at the early access trailer and it says the Divine is dead....when did he die?

**I tried to say put this without any spoilers**

Just after Beyond Divinity I think

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by BlueGuy
Just after Beyond Divinity I think

Just before, according to this timeline on the Wikia site, though I must admit I can never remember without checking it first. And beware of spoilers, and all that!

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
Something seems to be wrong here:

According to your link, D:OS2 is set before BD when Damian is banished to nemesis. There is also written that the divine one was killed after BD but before D2. But the video of D:OS2 says the divine one is dead.
So either D:OS2 is before BD and the divine one is alive or the divine one is dead and then it is after BD.

I have not played Beyond Divinity myself. Maybe the timeline is wrong or mayby the whole plot does not make much sense to begin with.
I really like the games I have played (D:OS1, DD, D2) and each game on its own is consistent enough to know who you are and what you are doing (You are a hero who kills some bad guys to save the world), but the connections between those games seem to be very confusing confused

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
N
old hand
old hand
N
but the connections between those games seem to be very confusing

Even Larian admitted they don't really try to keep an ongoing story consistent and barely try to keep things straight if at all.

Divinity Original Sin 2 will be the first game where they actually attempted to tie things into the ongoing story.

There is a wikia! Awesome.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Madscientist
Something seems to be wrong here:

According to your link, D:OS2 is set before BD when Damian is banished to nemesis. There is also written that the divine one was killed after BD but before D2. But the video of D:OS2 says the divine one is dead.
So either D:OS2 is before BD and the divine one is alive or the divine one is dead and then it is after BD.

I have not played Beyond Divinity myself. Maybe the timeline is wrong or mayby the whole plot does not make much sense to begin with.
I really like the games I have played (D:OS1, DD, D2) and each game on its own is consistent enough to know who you are and what you are doing (You are a hero who kills some bad guys to save the world), but the connections between those games seem to be very confusing confused

I'd go with the more recent information over a wikia site. It seems likely that the game was moved to after the events of BD to explain a more fanatical divine order, and the rise of the Black Ring.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Stabbey
I'd go with the more recent information over a wikia site. It seems likely that the game was moved to after the events of BD to explain a more fanatical divine order, and the rise of the Black Ring.

There is that: wiki-anything is often not the most authoritative source of information out there on the basis that it can be added to and changed by anyone. It's a handy way of gathering a lot of information together, but it can often be a documented collection of anecdotes from the man down the pub.

So I shall withdraw my contradiction on that basis! And I am certainly not an authoritative source either.

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
@Stabbey: I can understand that the divine order became more fanatic when the divine one died.
But what do you mean by "rise of the black ring"?

According to the wiki, the chaos demon was summoned by somebody (the black ring?). If this was not them, at least they existed in DD when they created Damien.

Or does rise mean getting stronger because they got their leader back (Damien returns from nemesis)

Also I do not understand how sourcerers fit in here:

In D:OS1 sourcerers where considered evil because the source of source wink was corrupted by the void dragon. This had been solved at the end of D:OS1. Why does the divine order hunt sourcerers several thouthand years later? I still do not understand what is the difference betwenn source magic and "normal magic".

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
journeyman
journeyman
The Factsheet you can download on larians websites it says that DOS 2 plays 4 year after Beyond Divnity.

[Insert something funny here]
addict
addict
Back to the future!

Last edited by 4verse; 06/09/16 03:04 PM.

"I don't make games to make money, I make money to make games". (Swen Vincke)
N
old hand
old hand
N
Well mad scientist ignoring timey whimey "It happened so it will always happen" stuff..

How is anyone else supposed to find that out?

veteran
veteran
@Stabbey: I can understand that the divine order became more fanatic when the divine one died.
But what do you mean by "rise of the black ring"?

According to the wiki, the chaos demon was summoned by somebody (the black ring?). If this was not them, at least they existed in DD when they created Damien.

Or does rise mean getting stronger because they got their leader back (Damien returns from nemesis)

I mean the last one.

Also I do not understand how sourcerers fit in here:

In D:OS1 sourcerers where considered evil because the source of source wink was corrupted by the void dragon. This had been solved at the end of D:OS1. Why does the divine order hunt sourcerers several thouthand years later? I still do not understand what is the difference betwenn source magic and "normal magic".

Beats me, I guess the game will have to explain it.

N
old hand
old hand
N
In Divinity 2 original sin

Source magic DOES come from SOULS OF THE LIVING!

A pretty good reason in it of itself not to trust or even outright ban sourcery.

I'd ban it too.

Last edited by Neonivek; 06/09/16 10:38 PM.
R
stranger
stranger
R
I'm playing through the games and I am wondering when it takes place before or after BD or maybe an alternate timeline because its a little confusing anyone know for sure?

journeyman
journeyman

As far as i understood, the Problem with the Source is, that it draws attention to the Voidwoken, means even if you won't use Source for the "Evil" it makes attention to something which is "evil". Also if you look at the Prologue - it seems also pretty powerfull aka dangerous. However - maybe there is even more into it which will cleared up later =)

About Source Magic and normal Magic, i would say, the difference is between Ressource. In case of Normal Magic, it seems it uses Strenghts/Endergy within the Caster maybe Mana... like their own "energytype". Source however is an more defined Resource, which needs to be gathered specifically so you can use it.

Last edited by LightningYu; 28/05/17 08:30 AM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard