Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
So on character creation my strength is 15, MAXED OUT! increasing strength will not give any more bonuses at this level! So in game i can increase it beyond 15 by leveling and items but the bonuses become negatives. I would like more clarification of what is up with that.

Last edited by kingcrowley; 16/09/16 11:25 PM. Reason: so the devs can see and understand it better

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by kingcrowley
So on character creation my strength is 15, MAXED OUT! increasing strength will not give any more bonuses at this level! So in game i can increase it beyond 15 by leveling and items but the bonuses become negatives. I would like more clarification of what is up with that.

Dear God. I definitely hope that this time caps are removed completely.

veteran
veteran
It seems to be just level 1... level 2 it's not even there with 17, so it's pretty high if it's still there.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter
It seems to be just level 1... level 2 it's not even there with 17, so it's pretty high if it's still there.

eh?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Not sure at high level with 20+ in an ability it was showing a penalty unless more points were pumped into it... would love for someone from larian to explain how the attribute system works this time around.

There are nights when the wolves are silent and only the moon howls.” – George Carlin-
W
stranger
stranger
W
It seems that every level, the 'baseline' amount of primary attributes needed to have a 0% damage bonus (eg neutral) go up by 2. Having points above or below this baseline gives a bonus/malus, and this amount decreases by level, possibly scaling with your % difference from the baseline.

The net effect is that you need to spend both your skill points per level just to stay afloat of the baseline. If you created your character with a initial bonus (eg 13 strength vs 12 baseline gives 10% bonus damage or whatever), then it will decline over time even if all points are put into it (at later levels, 23 str vs 22 basline may only give 3% bonus).

This makes hybrid classing impossible, and investing in wits/memory/vitality a permanent damage debuff.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Something that should be fixed... as hybrid style is how i love to play.

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah, if it's as you describe, it means that in order to just break even, you have to pump both your points into a single stat every time you level up, all the while falling farther and farther behind for every other stat, which is a terrible design.

N
N
I can kind of see where they were going with this (you need to keep increasing stats to match up against enemies the same level as you, as you both level) but at the same time, it seems like the game isn't really designed for that sort of progression unless they populate it with a lot of gear with higher, and higher stat bonuses to make up for deficiencies elsewhere, while boosting your main stats.

S
stranger
stranger
S
The attribute system seems really weird to me. At level 2 and 15 finesse, my rogue could use one of his abilities to deal 20-24 damage. When he leveled up, the damage from that skill actually dropped to 16-20 because the "baseline" finesse had increased. When I increased finesse to 17 with the level up, I was back to dealing 20-24 damage. Which means that leveling up and adding 2 points to my finesse didn't actually improve my character?

This feels kind of bad. I don't want to get weaker as I level up or be forced to contribute stats to finesse in order to deal the same damage.

Maybe I just don't understand the system yet - is there something that I was missing there?

veteran
veteran
Being level 3 now, I can also agree that it seems very weird how the numbers differ per statpoint per level. Lots of unexplained mechanics (like higher level weapons having less accuracy), and probably unintentional ones.
I can't imagine the attibutes work as intended.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Anyone from Larian care to explain things a bit?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Should have titled this "Attribute Caps by level Broken!" instead of just "Attribute Caps by level?"

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
and so i did.. hopefully more people will see it and chime in.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Wraith367
It seems that every level, the 'baseline' amount of primary attributes needed to have a 0% damage bonus (eg neutral) go up by 2. Having points above or below this baseline gives a bonus/malus, and this amount decreases by level, possibly scaling with your % difference from the baseline.

The net effect is that you need to spend both your skill points per level just to stay afloat of the baseline. If you created your character with a initial bonus (eg 13 strength vs 12 baseline gives 10% bonus damage or whatever), then it will decline over time even if all points are put into it (at later levels, 23 str vs 22 basline may only give 3% bonus).

This makes hybrid classing impossible, and investing in wits/memory/vitality a permanent damage debuff.

You're kidding me, right? I haven't played long enough or leveled up enough to test this for myself, but really? You get only 2 attribute points a level and fall behind if you don't invest them both in your primary damage stat?

That's ridiculous if true. Wait, hold on, I've got a save from level 1 and one where I just hit level 2... Yes, you're right.

This is completely ridiculous. At that formula, we need to be getting at least FIVE attribute points per level, not 2, and that's so we can spend 3 of them in the primary to make a LITTLE bit of progress in increasing damage.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Yeah hoping others see this and agree... really dumb system atm.

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/776930201083052032

Hopefully they'll make a post soon now.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C
If the attribute system is working as intended, I can honestly say that I am not a fan.
It feels as though no character progresion i made, and the minor minor increments at higher levels honestly just make you want to put your points into constitution or memory. How is 2.5% dmg going to help me, when constitution adds a solid 8% hp to my char?

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I hope it is only a bug... please tell me this is not how its intended to work...

M
apprentice
apprentice
M
Did anyone max out wits/memory on all characters? I went for a rounded D&D party and did fine for the most part. I put some points where they should not have been (Mag D, Phys D, stats above 15) but it did not detriment may play too much.

Aside from the 2 encounters I made forum posts about it was all fine and dandy approachable tactics but I did notice a trend of NPCs acting first regardless of their role/class. The initiative worries me on top of not being able to grasp memory slots. I had issues theorycrafting any dual spec with sucess with the exception of hunter with stealth + snipe every other combo had memory slot issues with core builds being too potent. I got more out of just sticking with 1 than any benefit from dual.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard