Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Here's my list of suggested changes (continues into the first few comments). I understand that not all of them can be implemented, but I hope some of them will be. None of the requested changes below are about balance or content.

Note:This list looks like a mess if you leave your style setting on ubbthreads_larian (at the very bottom of the page), as lists don't work properly in that style.

Interface
  1. Arena
    1. When hosting an online Arena match, don’t take me out of general chat. Have it so both chats appear, so I can still talk to people while waiting for someone to join. That'll help me get someone to join since I can talk to people playing the campaign.
      • Have a way to separate my arena lobby chat from global chat, but have both appear in the same place, like how in MMORPGs you can separate party chat from global chat, using /1 or /p, but both appear in the same space.
    2. In the lobby settings, show whether it’s Online or LAN, so if you make the wrong type you’ll be able to see it.
    3. When in a lobby, add a way to get back to the Arena menu. Currently your only option to leave an Arena lobby is to go back to the Main Menu.
    4. Don’t hide the Initiative bar after your team dies. It makes it hard to follow the action, especially if dynamic camera is off.
    5. When one person skips the scoreboard after a match, don’t skip it for everyone. Someone else might still be looking at it.
    6. Lobby chat and in-game chat should be the same log. When the players are talking in the game’s lobby, they should see the same text when the game begins, not just the text from last game. If we were having a conversation, we’d probably like to continue it.
    7. When going into Arena, it should default to whatever tab you used last (Online/LAN).
  2. Settings
    1. Put mouse-over tooltips on each item in Settings so you know what that option does, so you know why you might want to change it.
    2. Add an option to auto-skip the opening cinematics (if there will be any) and flying logos. I don’t need to see them every time I load the game.
    3. Add an optional, timed auto-save that saves every however many minutes the player chooses, while not in dialogue or combat. This way the player doesn’t have to remember to keep hitting F5 to quicksave, which breaks immersion and is annoying to have to keep thinking about.
    4. Add a slider for Voice volume when voices are added. Voice volume should only apply to monologue/dialogue, not combat grunts and instances of “I’ve spotted something.”
  3. Hotbar
    1. If I drag an inventory item (such as a scroll or potion) off my hotbar, only the icon should be removed. My character shouldn’t throw the item from my inventory to the ground. If I want to drop it, I’ll drag it from my inventory, not the hotbar. Currently I can’t remove inventory items from my hotbar, so it’s very cluttered.
    2. Add an option to not have items automatically added to the hotbar.
    3. Remember whether or not my hotbar was locked. I keep it unlocked because I have to keep rearranging things as I get new abilities and items, but every time I load, it’s locked. The default state should be unlocked, as that’s what people would expect it to be.
  4. Tooltips
    1. For armor with a movement penalty, show the penalty as it is now, and in parenthesis next to that show what it would be for the active character. For instance, if I have some Scale Armor with a -0.4 movement penalty, my character with 10 Strength receives a -0.46 movement penalty, whereas my character with 20 Strength receives a -0.25 movement penalty. Currently, the tooltip on it shows -0.4 regardless. I’d like to also see the adjusted number.
      • Do this for any other item stats that would be affected by character stats/abilities, such as weapon damage.
    2. For equipment comparison tooltips (where it shows you the tooltip for the item you’re moused over next to what you have equipped), show them for all party members at once. Currently, I have to change characters and do the comparison 4 times, which involves quickly memorizing what everyone has equipped. It would be better if I could just see it all on one screen.
    3. Increase the font size for the tooltips for Attributes, Combat Abilities, Civil Abilities, and Talents in the Character Sheet. It’s currently much smaller than for spells and abilities, and thus a bit hard to read.
    4. The tooltip for Encouraged and similar abilities should show exactly what stats they’re boosting and by how much, like Bless does.
    5. The tooltip for Wits says that it affects Magic Armor, but that doesn’t seem to be represented anywhere else.
    6. The tooltip for Strength says that it affects Accuracy, but it doesn’t say by how much. It also doesn’t mention that it improves base weapon damage and weight capacity at all.
    7. Some items with duration effects say how many turns they last on the same line as their effect. Others have only the effect under Special, and the duration listed separately under Properties. Pick one method of presentation and stick with it. The first method is better, so something with multiple effects can have a different duration for each effect, and it’s better to have relevant information together.
    8. On the character sheet, when mousing over Physical Armor and Magic Armor, in the breakdown, it shows “From [Physical/Magic] Armor ability”. It currently displays a percentage. We already know the percentage from the tooltip on the Combat Ability tab. What we need here is the actual non-percentage number that it’s contributing. For instance, if that 7% is getting me 3.2 physical armor, it should show me “3.2” not “7%”.
  5. Chat / Combat Log
    1. The scroll-to-bottom button of the Combat Log is covered up by the Combat Log button. It should be moved up so they don't overlap.
    2. When an NPC gives you an item, it should note it in the combat log. Most times, I don’t know what I was given.
    3. Whenever a character says something that’s not a looped monologue, it should be recorded in the combat log. This is important for when characters in my party say something and I didn’t see it because I had my inventory open, or I just didn’t have enough time to read it.
    4. The combat log should include experience gains.
  6. Map
    1. When opening the map, the zoom level should remain as the last zoom level I used. Currently, the zoom level often resets to being zoomed all the way in. Also, the default zoom level for the map shouldn’t be zoomed all the way in.
    2. Move the legend to the left some, more off the map. There’s room next to it. It’s currently kinda in the way.
  7. Panes
    1. On the Character Sheet, make the text for Vitality, Action Points, and Source Points lighter. It’s currently dark text on a dark background, which makes it hard to notice.
    2. During Character Creation, when you’re customizing your main character, under abilities, it says at the top “Unspent Points (Combat/Civil):” and then follows with the points you have for both. While the format of what follows is defined, it’s presented in a way that suggests something different. When you spend your points on combat abilities first, the unspent points show as “0/1”, which is the standard for “0 out of 1”, not the intended “0 Combat, 1 Civil”. This is counter-intuitive, and would confuse some players starting out. It should be presented as “Unspent Points Combat: 0 Civil:1” with “Unspent Points” being left justified, “Combat: 0” being centered, and “Civil: 1” being right-justified. This is much clearer.
    3. Add inventory-sorting like DOS1 had.
    4. The Quest Log needs a way to be able to hide completed quests. They clutter it up.
    5. When right-clicking on an item in your inventory, the “Send to” list should be in party order. Currently, it seems to be in the order in which they joined the party instead.
  8. Combat
    1. When mousing-over a character in the Initiative bar at the top of the screen, that character should be highlighted in the main game screen, so I know which character specifically that is. If that character is off-screen, their off-screen indicator should pulse (see Graphics 4a).

Last edited by Darxim; 17/11/16 05:22 PM. Reason: Updated 11/14/2016
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Controls
  1. Camera
    1. Change the “center camera” function so that, when it rotates the camera, up is North. Currently, it rotates the camera so up is NorthWest, which isn’t how the maps are oriented.
    2. When edge-scrolling, make it so the mouse has to be all the way against the edge of the screen to scroll. Currently it starts scrolling when my mouse is over the hotbar, which makes using the hotbar via mouse annoying.
    3. If something is transparent, I my mouse clicks should pass through it. For instance, when using a shrine to teleport to the Seeker camp, when I start, the statue of Amidala (or whatever her name is) is completely transparent. I cannot see it at all. However, if I click to make my character move, instead of moving to where I clicked, it’ll move to the statue. While there are many instances of this happening, this one is easily repeatable. Also, this is the one that killed me while doing my zombie run (zombies don’t survive long in blessed water).
      • Mouseclicks should also pass through anything obviously above reach level that obstructs the camera, such as treetops and lampposts. If there’s no way to get to it, and it’s not usable, it shouldn’t be intercepting my mouse clicks.
  2. Settings
    1. Allow the buttons for Show World Tooltips and Show Sneak Cones to be toggles, so you don’t have to hold them down constantly. I currently use an autohotkey script to give me this functionality, but not everyone can do that, and it’s not reliable.
    2. In Controls, if I change a command to be a key that was bound to another command, either clear that other command or give me the option as to what to do via pop-up. Currently it leaves both commands bound to the same key, and one of them just doesn’t work.
  3. Hotbar
    1. To the left of the hotbar are some buttons that bring up different panes. The button for Inventory brings up the Character Sheet as well as your Inventory, and displays the shortcut key for Character Pane, but is called Inventory. In the keybinds, there is a button for Character Sheet and another for Inventory. The latter brings up only the bags, which is what the Inventory button at the bottom should do. There should be another button added for Character Sheet, with a person’s head for an icon (as that’s fairly standard).
    2. Anything on the hotbar should be usable with a single-click. Currently, items have to be double-clicked to be used from the hotbar, while abilities only have to be single-clicked. This inconsistency causes confusion during gameplay. Also, I don’t know of any other game that requires double-clicking on anything in the hotbar.
  4. Chat / Combat Log
    1. Currently when you try to scroll the Combat Log with the mouse wheel, it scrolls all the way to the top before it lets you scroll. It should not do this. Scroll from where I already am.
    2. For chat, when in-game, after typing a message and hitting Enter, the Chat log should lose focus so I can continue playing the game.
    3. Add a toggle for timestamps in Chat. Also add timestamps in Chat.
  5. Panes
    1. When hitting Esc to cancel interface panes, it should cancel in order from last opened to first opened. For instance, if I have my inventory open and I try to combine items, it brings up the Crafting pane, and at this point if I hit Esc, it should close the Crafting pane. Currently, it closes the Inventory pane first, then I have to hit Esc again to close the Crafting pane.
    2. Double-clicking on a character’s portrait should bring up their Character Sheet.
  6. Misc
    1. Add a button to use out-of-combat that essentially pauses the game but allows you to continue using the interface. This would be particularly useful when you’re trying to talk to certain characters (like rats) who are constantly moving and thus hard to click on. Ultima 7 Part 2 had this feature after Origin realized that Ultima 7 Part 1 suffered from the same problem.
    2. The menu you get when you right-click on an item should display the name of the item you’ve right-clicked either instead of or in addition to the name of the active character. I can see on my screen which character is active already, but I don’t have a way to be sure of what item the program considers me to have right-clicked.
  7. Map
    1. When browsing the map, allow me to double-click or something in order to scroll the camera to that point on the map, like you could do in the old Infinity Engine games (like Baldur’s Gate). This would make getting around a lot easier.
  8. Combat
    1. If I click and drag an interface item (like if I tried to move an item in the skillbar but it was locked), this should not initiate a move command for my character.
    2. There needs to be a way to cancel a move. If I’m dragging the mouse around for a character and I don’t want to move them, currently I have no option but to move them. Esc or right-clicking should cancel it.
    3. Add an option to not automatically end turns. Sometimes I have a portion of an action point left that I could use for movement, and I’d like to use it.
  9. Crafting
    1. Allow me to bring up the Combine window by clicking on an anvil or mobile kitchen or whatever stationary world-object I can craft with (with the clicked thing in one of the Combine slots). Currently, you have to drag the item from your inventory onto it, even though when you mouse over it you get the gears suggesting it can be used.

Last edited by Darxim; 15/11/16 01:24 AM.
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Graphics / Visuals
  1. Camera
    1. Increase the maximum zoom-out distance. It’s currently so close that it almost feels claustrophobic. I always feel like I can’t see. I’m constantly scrolling the mouse wheel without even thinking about it, trying to make it zoom out just a little bit more even though I’m already as zoomed out as I can be. I am also frequently rotating the camera so that my characters aren’t walking toward the bottom of the screen which is where there is almost no visibility, even though that kinda screws up my sense of direction. I can’t tell where I am in the world, or even which way is North, from the main game screen.
      • If you only make one change from this list, please make it this one. Nothing else here is as important as this. It’s probably the most-requested change for DOS1 and DOS2. I have friends who didn’t play DOS1 because of the camera zoom level (they complained that they couldn’t see what was going on during combat, and that they couldn’t really tell where they were going out-of-combat).
    2. In combat, when using an ability, the camera (in Dynamic mode) should focus on the target of the ability, not the character using it. Nothing’s happening to the character using it unless they are also the target. With the max camera zoom as close as it is, I often can’t see what’s happening at the target because the camera’s focused on the user, so I don’t know exactly what’s happened.
    3. Add a compass on the main game screen that appears while I’m rotating the camera, and disappears when I’m done. I really only have to know which way is North, so it could be just an arrow pointing north. Currently I have to scroll the camera up and watch the minimap to see if it’s scrolling North or not, then adjust as needed.
    4. Don’t recenter the camera (nor drop it out of Tactical Mode) after performing a quicksave. I quicksave a lot, and it’s really annoying having the camera pan and spin around each time. I will never quicksave to fix the camera position.
  2. Transparency Area
    1. Currently, when walking under things, you have a tiny hole through which you can see your character. It’s enough to see your character, but not enough to see what’s around them. This hole needs to be greatly expanded. Truly, anything between the camera and my character should be mostly translucent if not completely transparent, but I’m guessing you’d have to rewrite the code entirely for that, so I doubt you would do that. Making the hole bigger may be easy to implement, though.
    2. Tall trees and other things that you’ll only see when they’re blocking your view should just be always translucent. It’s fine that they’re there, but it’s not fine that I can’t see anything else when they’re on-screen.
  3. Highlights
    1. Add highlights to containers, corpses (which are containers), and dig spots. At least add mouse-over highlights to corpses. It’s sometimes hard to find them when combat’s over.
  4. Combat
    1. While in combat, there should be indicators at the edge of the screen pointing to characters that are off-screen. The indicators can be as simple as colored triangles. The color of the arrows would match the colors of the highlights for those characters (so enemies would get red arrows, allies would get green). Only characters in combat would get arrows, of course. Indicators for active off-screen characters should pulse.
    2. When mousing-over potential targets for an ability that bounces to multiple targets (like Ricochet), it should show you what other enemies it would hit. Sometimes you can’t tell the distance between targets, but even when the enemies are very close together, you can’t tell if it’ll actually bounce to any of them. It would also be good in case there are more targets available than it could bounce to, so you’d know which ones would get hit.
    3. If an enemy can move a good distance each turn, they shouldn’t be moving so slow. I get that zombies are supposed to be slow, but unless their movement rate actually reflects this (as it doesn’t), they shouldn’t actually walk so slow. It’s boring waiting for them to cross half the map as they can apparently do in one turn (that’s an exaggeration).

Last edited by Darxim; 14/11/16 02:39 PM.
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Gameplay
  1. Character Chatter
    1. Currently there’s no voice acting, so it's not a problem yet, but in DOS1, NPCs would spout random lines constantly, pausing only a few seconds between. They would never stop. It was even worse in the Enhanced Edition which I couldn’t even play because of it. Please do not make NPC chatter happen so frequently. It’s beyond irritating. At least make a minimum delay of 60 seconds, although a selectable delay would be best.
      • This would be priority #2.
    2. Please cut off the NPC chatter when I’m in a dialogue with someone. I mean, don’t even let the current loop finish. Suspend it or something. In DOS1 it was really annoying hearing random chatter in the background while I was in dialogue with another NPC.
    3. Reduce the frequency that my character complains about the quality of the items I’ve picked up. Considering all the trash items that can be sold, my characters complain an awful lot, and it’s pretty irritating. If you don’t want me to sell candles and crates, make them have 0 value.
  2. NPC Dialogues
    1. If I talk to an NPC, I can have a complete conversation with them. Then, if I switch to another character in my party and talk to them again, it’s like the first conversation never happened. While it’s interesting to see the different effects different options and characters can have, this is also exploitable. For instance, when I came across the well where you can give the dead guys money for some epic stuff, I went through this exchange with each of my characters, netting me some hefty upgrades. It didn’t make sense that I could talk to them again after they’d passed on, but each time I interacted with the well with a different character, the conversation would start again from scratch, and I’d get the stuff each time.
      • An alternative to allowing players to explore all their options by talking to an NPC with different party members would be to have all the party members involved in the conversation (since they are standing right there, after all), which would be represented by the different party members’ unique dialogue options being available regardless of which character initiated the dialogue. Re-writing existing dialogue would not be necessary for this as it still makes sense that the NPC would address the character initiating dialogue with them as it works now.
    2. When talking to an NPC, if there’s an option to ask them additional questions, that option remains even after my only option from there is “*Change the subject.*” For instance, when talking to Saheila, I have the option “*Say you’d like to ask a few questions.*” But I’ve already asked all those questions, so if I choose that option, my only option is “*Change the subject.*” If there are no more questions to ask, then “*Say you’d like to ask a few questions.” should no longer be an option.
    3. If you save Gareth before talking to Tarlene, the conversation with her is a bit weird. You tell her that you’ve already saved Gareth and he’s back at the camp, but if you then “ask her why she’s out here watching”, she tells you that her boss (Gareth) went into the ruins and may or may not be dead, at which point you can offer to go find this guy that you’ve already told her you’ve saved. The fix would be that, if you tell her you saved Gareth, drop the “ask her why she’s out here watching” dialogue option.
  3. Tutorial
    1. The tutorial should include Examine (from right-clicking on a character) without having to get Loremaster first. It should also specifically note that you can get descriptions of status effects on that character there.
    2. The tutorial should point out the chat and combat log toggles in the corners of the screen.
  4. Enemy Combat AI
    1. If a melee NPC is unable to path to your location, it should check paths that would be available if not for destructibles, and if it finds one, it should attack or move the destructibles on that path. This would dramatically reduce barrel abuse.
    2. If AI is going to follow-up Tactical Retreat (or other displacement abilities) with an attack, they should not retreat away beyond attack range. It just exhausts their AP when they run back into range. It seems like they always retreat to maximum distance despite their next action.
    3. Enemies often attack a couple times, then, as their last action for the turn, apply buffs. If an enemy is going to apply buffs, they should do so before attacking.
    4. Sometimes an enemy will throw a grenade, but it doesn't quite make it to my characters, however it does hit other enemies (allies of that guy). There might need to be a range check before tossing grenades to make sure it'll actually hit the intended target. Also, they should try to avoid hitting their allies and themselves in the blast.
    5. Sometimes an enemy will go up a ladder, then immediately go back down the ladder. I don't know why they do this, so I don't have a suggestion here. I'm just pointing out that they do that, and shouldn't.
    6. AI should not attack someone who is immune to an element with that element. Maybe one attack, but they should realize it’s ineffective after that. For instance, AI should not use poison attack on those with the Zombie trait.
    7. AI that is Burning should avoid running into poison clouds and oil puddles unless my characters are also in those areas. If my characters aren’t in it, that AI character will surely die, but without purpose. At least if my characters are in there, they’re going to take damage as well.
    8. AI should not use abilities that only apply a status effect (that being they do not deal damage) on characters that have the appropriate armor remaining to block it. For instance, if I've got 1 magic armor, that's enough to block Decaying Touch, but the AI will still use it on me, even though it will have no effect.
    9. NPCs out-of-combat should not allow the player to repeatedly attack them without retaliation.
  5. Design
    1. Don’t put candles on containers that have top-opening animations. In the Seeker camp, there are candles on crates, which looks odd when you open them, because the candles don’t move, and pass through the lid. It especially looks odd when you take the crate and the candles are floating there mid-air.
    2. A crafted item should not weigh more than the sum of its parts.
    3. Vitality refers both to your health and the combat skill named “Vitality”. That’s confusing. When a new player sees gear with “+2 Vitality”, they may think that it gives them +2 Health. Why not call Health “Health” instead, leaving Vitality as the skill name. Instead of “+x HP” on gear it can say “+x Health”, which makes more sense since Physical Armor and Magic Armor are also HP. This change would also make it a lot easier to explain the new system to people, and it would avoid tautological descriptions like “Vitality increases your total amount of Vitality.”
  6. Items & Equipment
    1. Some equipment has an “on contact” effect, such as “Inflict Chilled on contact”. Change the wording to something unambiguous such as “Enemies that hit you are chilled.”
  7. Crafting
    1. Allow me to put the same stack in both slots for crafting. Currently, if I want to make Thread, I have to split the stack of Hairs and put each stack separately into each slot before combining them. It would be better if I didn’t have to split the stack first.
    2. Allow me to combine items from any party member’s bag, rather than just the active character’s. Currently I have to rearrange my inventory before crafting.
  8. Movement
    1. Reduce the delay before I can act after picking up an item. I can currently bypass it by right-clicking, but it’d be better (especially for people who don’t know that trick) for it to simply be faster.
    2. The speed my character/party walks out-of-combat should be determined by the length of the assigned path, not the direct distance between their current position and their destination. Currently, if you’re standing on one side of a wall, and you tell your character to move to the other side, even if they have to walk a great distance to get there, they will still walk very slow.
    3. During combat, it’s very difficult to move on/near a corpse or other lootable object since that object is a mouse magnet (if the mouse is anywhere near it, looting it is the only action you can do). I’m generally not looting things during combat, but I am moving around, so I need the interface to accommodate movement over looting. Perhaps decrease the magnet area around the object, or add another way to move to that spot.
  9. Character Creation
    1. Allow us to create a character without assigning the skill/stat points. There are several reasons for this, but my immediate need for this is testing. There is no drawback to allowing people to finish creating their character without allocating the points, since they can just allocate them once in-game, anyway.

Last edited by Darxim; 14/11/16 03:09 PM.
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Bugs
  1. Controls
    1. When dragging an item in my inventory, if I release the mouse button over an item, it sometimes activates it. It’s possible that the program is registering the mouse button release as the first click of a double-click, although I don’t know where it’s getting the second click from unless I’m accidentally left-clicking without realizing. Double-click detection should be based on mouse button down, not mouse button up. If that’s not how it works, then I don’t know why it’s happening.
  2. Abilities & Skills
    1. Hail Storm’s AoE diameter is much larger than its reticle indicates. Either the reticle or the diameter of the effect should be changed to match the other.
    2. When trying to use Battering Ram, I’m frequently told that the target is blocked even when it isn’t, even when I’m standing right next to the target (close enough that the circles are touching). I can do anything else to the target, but not Battering Ram.
    3. Battering Ram doesn’t go in a straight path to the target, instead going off to the side. It’s hard to tell what I’m actually going to hit between my character and the target. An indicator of some sort would be good, but also make the path a straight, direct line to the center of the target target. My character can move off to the side afterward.
    4. Bartering adjusts prices by 4.5% per point, not 10% as described. Either the skill effect or its description needs to be adjusted.
    5. First Aid has two lines under Special, the second of which says “100% chance to set First Aid for 0 turn(s)”. That line can be removed.
    6. One-Handed skill does not improve wand damage. (reported by error3)
    7. The Pyrokinetics skill increases fire wand damage like it should, but it doesn’t show this change on the character sheet. (reported by error3)
    8. “Walk It Off” does not reduce the duration of all status effects. It does not reduce the duration of stun, for instance. “Stunned” usually lasts 1 turn, so Walk It Off would essentially make the character immune to stuns. I’m guessing this is by design, in which case the wording would need to be changed to reflect that. However, if it is meant to reduce 1-duration status effects to 0, then it’s currently not working. Either way, a change is needed.
    9. The tooltip for the Blinded status doesn’t say what it does.
  3. Items
    1. There’s an item called “Letter to Mother” which, considering it’s from someone’s mother, should be called “Letter from Mother”.
    2. After drinking a cup of something, you lose the cup. In DOS1, you’d just have an empty cup/mug after drinking from it.
    3. Scoundrel skillbooks have subtext that says “Rogue skills are skills for rogues and thieves.” Here, “Rogue skills” should be replaced with “Scoundrel skills”.
    4. Healing Elixir’s tooltip, under Special, says “100% chance to set Healing Elixir for 0 turn(s)”. That line can either be removed.
    5. The description for the Lowered Armor status effect (from Armor-Piercing Grenade) is blank.
    6. Terror Grenade’s special says “100% chance to set for 2 turn(s)”. It properly sets “Terrified”, but that word is missing from its description.
    7. After using the blood rose potion, my character cannot heal up to her maximum health.
    8. The memory gained from the blood rose potion cannot be used. You get the memory slot, but you can’t put anything in it.
    9. The blood rose potion says it’s permanent, but you lose it on death. I don’t know if that’s the way it’s intended, but if it is, the description needs to be changed from “permanent” to just an effect without a duration.
  4. Panes
    1. If I close my inventory while there’s a tooltip on-screen for an item my mouse was over, the tooltip stays on the screen until I mouse-over another object. This does not occur if I close the inventory immediately (within half a second) of the tooltip popping up.
  5. Script
    1. When my character arrives at the underground dock, he mentions the boat being there, even though it’s not (I escaped Fort Joy a different way, so Han had already taken the boat and gone to the Seeker camp). The bug here is that the scripted monologue about the boat still occurs even if the boat isn’t there anymore.
    2. If you tell Gareth that you need more time to prepare after choosing two companions, he won’t talk to you again, and you won’t get those companions. The speech bubbles appear, but then go away and no dialogue occurs. I think you only get the option in question if you don’t have a full party.
    3. After speaking with Migo and getting his ring, if I try to loot one of the corpses there, even if he’s not near it, it treats it as if I clicked on him and begins dialogue. Afterward, I am no longer able to loot that corpse. I can still loot the other one, though. There are two corpses there, and it doesn’t matter which one you try this with, you’ll have the same result.
  6. Dialogue
    1. When talking to Duna, he says “When a link the chain is weak, we replace it.” It’s missing the word “in” between “link” and “the”.
    2. When talking to Gratiana after giving her her soul jar, she has a line that reads “Yes, he drained them power of his enemies in battle.” It should be “the” not “them”.
  7. Chat
    1. When clicking on the chat input bar (where you type messages), if you click on the left side once, it activates as it should, but on the right-side you have to click twice to get it to activate. There is no visual difference between the sides, so it seems like this shouldn’t be the case.
  8. Combat
    1. The description for the status effect Slowed says “Reduced movement speed and -1 AP per turn.” Under that, in red text, it says “Recovery AP: -2”. One of these is wrong. I don’t know which one is supposed to be correct, but -2 is what’s applied. If the Recovery AP penalty is variable, then the white text description shouldn’t give a number, as is the case for the movement rate penalty.
  9. Misc
    1. The button for Combat Log is about 20% off-screen. That makes it harder to notice.
    2. Sometimes after dialogue, the zoom level does not return to what it was. I haven’t figured out any consistency for this.
    3. Sometimes a character in my party will just start going somewhere different than the rest of my party for no reason. One time I didn’t notice she was gone until she was halfway across the map (I was doing inventory stuff). It’s not actually a particular character; any character will do it, even the one I’m directly controlling. I’m not sure what causes it. I think it may be that the character couldn’t find a path and just freaked out.

Last edited by Darxim; 15/11/16 01:24 AM.
Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
reserved for potential future section

veteran
veteran
Interface
2c. That's utterly ridiculous. I don't want my game cycling my hard drive every 5 seconds, causing slowdowns. This game already has autosaves before most-all combat encounters. It's up to players to save regularly. If they're too dumb to forget to save, that's their own problem.

Graphics/Visuals
2a. If it was translucent it would be missing the point of letting you clearly see what is around your character.

Gameplay
7a. I don't see any alternative to stack splitting which wouldn't be more annoying. Most of the time you want a stack to go in all at once then place another stack on the other thing so you can make them in bulk. Just get over it and accept that sometimes you have to split stacks of the same item.

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Interface
2c. That's utterly ridiculous. I don't want my game cycling my hard drive every 5 seconds, causing slowdowns. This game already has autosaves before most-all combat encounters. It's up to players to save regularly. If they're too dumb to forget to save, that's their own problem.

Not 5 seconds. 5 minutes. The autosaves are few and only before major encounters (most combat encounters do not have autosaves). Also, it would be optional, so if you don't like it, you don't have to enable it.

Originally Posted by Stabbey
Gameplay
7a. I don't see any alternative to stack splitting which wouldn't be more annoying. Most of the time you want a stack to go in all at once then place another stack on the other thing so you can make them in bulk. Just get over it and accept that sometimes you have to split stacks of the same item.

The alternative would be placing one stack in one slot, then placing the same stack in the other slot. When you place a stack in a crafting slot, the stack does not disappear from your inventory (as in moving from bag to the crafting slot). It's still there. You can even drag it to the other crafting slot, it just currently won't let you actually put it there.

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I updated my list. Additions are below (as well as above). I also made some items less wordy ("Interface" was hitting that size limit again), and removed a few known issues.

New items are:

Interface 2d
Add a slider for Voice volume (if you add voices to the game). Voice volume should only apply to words, not combat grunts.

Interface 5d
The combat log should include experience gains.

Interface 6b
Move the legend off the map some. There’s room next to it. Move it to the left some. It’s currently kinda in the way.

Interface 7d
The Quest Log needs a way to be able to hide completed quests. They clutter it up.

Gameplay 6b
As far as I can tell, you can’t pickup or use wheelbarrows. As such, they shouldn’t have the gear icon when you mouse-over them, and they shouldn’t have world tooltips.

Bugs 2g
The Pyrokinetics skill does increase fire wand damage like it should, but it does not show this change on the character sheet. (reported by error3)

Bugs 2h
“Walk It Off” does not reduce the duration of all status effects. It does not reduce the duration of stun, for instance. “Stunned” usually lasts 1 turn, so Walk It Off would essentially make the character immune to stuns. I’m guessing this doesn’t happen by design, in which case the wording would need to be changed to reflect that. However, if it is meant to reduce 1-duration status effects to 0, then it’s currently not working. Whatever it’s meant to be, something needs to be changed.

Bugs 3j
At about 247, 143, in that office/bedroom in Fort Joy (next to the ladder you can drop down), there’s a small Painting of Alexander on a table next to a bed. It’s much smaller than the other paintings, however it still weighs 150, like the large ones. I think that probably should be reduced significantly. It also has the same high value as the large ones, which probably also should be reduced.

Bugs 3k
At about 305, 196, there are three Makeshift Axes that you can’t pick up. It says you can’t reach them. I can’t even see them. I’ve been looking, but I don’t see any axes. The mouse isn’t highlighting them as I pixel search for them. I think they may be in the wall or under the ground. They either need to be moved or removed (I don’t think anyone would be upset if they were gone).

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I've updated the list again. I removed some items that were no longer applicable (there may still be some items that have been resolved on the list, though), changed the wording on some items (particularly in the Gameplay section since it got too long for the forum to handle), and added the following items:

Interface
When right-clicking on an item in your inventory, the “Send to” list should be in party order. Currently, it seems to be in the order in which they joined the party instead.

Controls
In Controls, show the ~ instead of the word “Grave”. Nobody knows what “Grave” means in this context. I had to look it up. Most games show that key as the tilde mark even though you have to hold shift to get it, just because people know where that key is and it’s hard to tell the difference between ` and ‘. But they don’t put “Grave”.

Add a toggle for timestamps in Chat. Also add timestamps in Chat.

Gameplay
If you save Gareth before talking to Tarlene, the conversation with her goes a bit weird. You tell her that you’ve already saved Gareth and he’s back at the camp, but if you then “ask her why she’s out here watching”, she tells you that her boss (Gareth) went into the ruins and may or may not be dead, at which point you can offer to go find this guy that you’ve already told this woman that you’ve saved. The fix would probably be that, if you tell her you saved Gareth, drop the “ask her why she’s out here watching” dialogue option.

If AI is going to follow-up Tactical Retreat (or other displacement abilities) with an attack, they should not retreat away beyond attack range. It just exhausts their AP when they run back into range. It seems like they always retreat to maximum distance despite their next action.

I've seen many enemies attack a couple times, then, as their last action for the turn, apply buffs. If an enemy is going to apply buffs, they should do so before attacking.

I've seen a few times where an enemy throws a grenade, but it doesn't quite make it to my characters, however it does hit other enemies (allies of that guy). There might need to be a range check before tossing grenades to make sure it'll actually hit the intended target. Also, they should try to avoid hitting their allies (and themselves) in the blast.

I've seen quite a few times where an enemy will go up a ladder, then immediately go back down the ladder. I have no idea why they do this, so I don't actually have a suggestion here. I'm just pointing out that they do that, and shouldn't.

AI should not attack someone who is immune to an element with that element. Maybe one attack, but they should realize it’s ineffective after that. For instance, AI should not use poison attack on those with the Zombie trait.

AI that is Burning should avoid running into poison clouds and oil puddles unless my characters are also in those areas. If my characters aren’t in it, that AI character will surely die, but without purpose. At least if my characters are in there, they’re going to take damage as well.

AI should not use abilities that only apply a status effect (that being they do not deal damage) on characters that have the appropriate armor remaining to block it. For instance, if I've got 1 magic armor, that's enough to block Decaying Touch, but the AI will still use it on me, even though it will have no effect.

NPCs out-of-combat should not allow the player to repeatedly attack them without retaliation.

The speed my character/party walks out-of-combat should be determined by the length of the assigned path, not the direct distance between their current position and their destination. Currently, if you’re standing on one side of a wall, and you tell your character to move to the other side, even if they have to walk a great distance to get there, they will still walk very slow.

During combat, it’s very difficult to move on/near a corpse or other lootable object, on account of that object being a mouse magnet (meaning that if the mouse is anywhere near it, it becomes an interactable object, thus becoming the only action you can do there). I’m generally not looting things during combat, but I am generally moving around, so I need the interface to accommodate movement over looting. Perhaps decrease the area around the object that can be used to loot it during combat, or make another way to move to that spot other than assigning a character to move past it and then right-clicking at the right time (which is currently the only way I know of to do it, and it’s very hard to make sure you’re not spending an extra AP doing it this way).

Bugs
The tooltip for the Blinded status doesn’t say what it does.

After using the blood rose potion, my character cannot heal up to her maximum health.

The memory gained from the blood rose potion cannot be used. You get the memory slot, but you can’t put anything in it.

The blood rose potion says it’s permanent, but you lose it on death. I don’t know if that’s the way it’s intended, but if it is, the description needs to be changed from “permanent” to just an effect without a duration.

When talking to Necromancer Tasmyn, he says “She were a canny lass”. Should be “was” instead of “were”.

When clicking on the chat input bar (where you type messages), if you click on the left side once, it activates as it should, but on the right-side you have to click twice to get it to activate. There is no visual difference between the sides, so it seems like this shouldn’t be the case.

Sometimes after dialogue, the zoom level does not return to what it was. I haven’t figured out any consistency for this.

Sometimes a character in my party will just start going somewhere different than the rest of my party for no reason. One time I didn’t notice she was gone until she was halfway across the map (I was doing inventory stuff). It’s not actually a particular character; any character will do it, even the one I’m directly controlling. I’m not sure what causes it. I think it may be that the character couldn’t find a path and just freaked out.

Last edited by Darxim; 15/11/16 01:23 PM. Reason: missed "thats is Burning" on one of the items
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Darxim
Controls
In Controls, show the ~ instead of the word “Grave”. Nobody knows what “Grave” means in this context. I had to look it up. Most games show that key as the tilde mark even though you have to hold shift to get it, just because people know where that key is and it’s hard to tell the difference between ` and ‘. But they don’t put “Grave”.

It depends on the keyboard layout: on mine it's a grave accent, the tilde being over by the return key. I guess "the-one-under-the-escape-key" is a bit of a mouthful, though.

Though some games really do mean the tilde key, in other words the one next to the return key. I think FO4 does that, unlike previous Bethsoft games.

I also suspect "she were a canny lass" is a dialect thing: you quite often get that sort of thing in the English regions (and canny probably meaning nice rather than the often-used synonym for sly).

J'aime le fromage.
I
enthusiast
enthusiast
I
Excepting Vometia's corrections, these are all good suggestions IMO.

Darxim Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by vometia
It depends on the keyboard layout: on mine it's a grave accent, the tilde being over by the return key. I guess "the-one-under-the-escape-key" is a bit of a mouthful, though.

Though some games really do mean the tilde key, in other words the one next to the return key. I think FO4 does that, unlike previous Bethsoft games.

I also suspect "she were a canny lass" is a dialect thing: you quite often get that sort of thing in the English regions (and canny probably meaning nice rather than the often-used synonym for sly).

Hmmm... I'll go ahead and remove those two items from the list, then. I think the Grave issue still should be addressed, but in light of your information, I don't know how. The "were" issue might still be valid, but it's also really not important, so if there's a chance it's not valid, I'd rather not include it.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Ichthyic
Excepting Vometia's corrections, these are all good suggestions IMO.

Yeah, I worry I was perhaps sounding a bit churlish, all things considered. Hopefully it came over as adding some context rather than me just saying "nyah!"

Last edited by vometia; 15/11/16 03:25 AM. Reason: that's how long it took me to remember the word I wanted! And now, back to bed.

J'aime le fromage.
G
addict
addict
G
That is a grate magnificent list. I would write the same in 19 of 20 cases.
Dear Larians, just fallow this list.
Thank you

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard