Next Thread
Print Thread
P
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Hi guys,

I just purchased the game on Steam and I get a crash at startup. Verifying Game cache outputs nothing wrong:

Game Crashed.

thread "EoCAppp" (20344538432)
Signal: 11

(0) /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 : +0x113d0 [0x7f0f7c5d63d0]

I am on Ubuntu 16.04.

Processor: i3 3217
chipset: Intel HD4000
4gb RAM

I have Mesa-utils installed and updated as my drivers.

Last edited by pblack476; 21/09/16 05:19 PM.
Support
Support

Unfortunately, I don't think the HD 4000 has OpenGL support 4.2 in Linux. Maybe the Mesa 12 drivers added that, but this wiki page still lists 3.3. You can use glxinfo to check what version of OpenGL support your card/drivers have.

Mesa drivers are not officially supported, but check out the topic [LINUX] Running the game with Intel Iris Pro 5200

and maybe others such as

[LINUX] How to run the game with the open-source drivers for Radeons

[Linux] Game won't start!

[Linux] Segfault before game starts {RESOLVED}

P
stranger
stranger
P
I also get crash on start on Steam for Linux D:OS EE.

What can I do to make the game run?

The message is:
-----------------------
Game crashed.

Thread "EoCApp" (577599424)

Signal: 11

(0) /lib/x86_64-Linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 : +0x113d0 [0x7fdc258643d0]
---------------------------

System is:
Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4
Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2)
OS type: 64-bit

No modification.
Clean install.

Support
Support

Did you check out the topics above? The HD graphics 520 supports DirectX 12 and OpenGL 4.4, but I could not find a listing specifically for OpenGL support under Linux (you can use glxinfo to check what your current drivers support).

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Not exactly about the case above, but related to what you mentioned in the comment:

This is a bug in the game, not in OpenGL. I.e. it doesn't work with Mesa even when OpenGL is 4.5. It's reported here:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=93551

Can you fix it please? It's pretty trivial, and would make the game compliant with OpenGL properly. I.e. not checking for vendor strings, but to check for existing extensions.

And, it's proper to support Mesa, as it's the driver that both AMD and Intel now recommend on Linux. So it's something that Larian should take in account for internal testing and QA to avoid such kind of problems in the future, such as with Linux version of Divinity: Original Sin 2.

Last edited by shmerl; 24/11/16 08:58 PM.
O
stranger
stranger
O
+1, I bought the game because of it's Linux support a whole while ago and closed source drivers are no option due to their quality on the long run and as Shmerl already pointed out, AMD will only keep AMDGPU-PRO for workstations as soon as the MESA Vulkan implementation is mature enough. RadeonSI is already performing significantly better than the proprietary drivers in nearly all OpenGL games.
Valve has people working on MESA and might get rid of AMDGPU-PRO in SteamOS already in 2017. That way they can directly influence the drivers on their own which is impossible with closed sources.

As you can see on this list for official OpenGL 4.5 compliance there are only two features necessary, namely GL_KHR_texture_compression_astc_ldr and GL_KHR_blend_equation_advanced.
https://mesamatrix.net/#Version_OpenGLES3.2-GLSLES3.2

Then everything necessary from 3.2 to 4.5 is completely implemented in AMD, Intel and Nvidia drivers of MESA for the current product lineup.

It might have looked like an easy approach just not to support other drivers as long as the message sais: "Hey, your OpenGL version is just not high enough!", but as soon as all MESA drivers expose version string 4.5 your game will be perhaps(as far as I can estimate from my whole steam list) the only game that crashes at startup with MESA drivers. It will then also be completely unnecessary for all games to override the GL version string so almost every other game will start without issues.
And finally as soon as Valve removes AMDGPU-PRO from SteamOS, without judging anything, just telling you: people might get pretty angry and Valve would also be unhappy with Divinity:OS being broken for all GPUs on their OS other than Nvidias'.
Others do also have few bugs in their games but the entire game still starts and works as far as I can tell by my list of 76 games - that's the big difference.

Last edited by oooverclocker; 29/01/17 12:48 AM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Issh, Kurnster, Larian_QA, LarSeb, Monodon, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard