Hello everyone, this is my first post in this forum. I've recently discovered this amazing game and I am really enjoying it. I've completed the first part of "A mysterious murder" where you identify the killer. I think it is a great quest and it shows this is a deep game. I like to play the role playing games in the most logical way, trying to figure out how I would behave in the reality in a situation like that, minimizing backtracking and trying to do things in the best order. This lead me to load previous safe and try different approaches until I am satisfied with the results. I'd like to discuss with you which way would be the most realistic without loosing too much of the content and dialogues the Larian wanted to show us.
SPOILER ALERT

- You arrive at Cyseal, the first thing you should do in a murder investigation should be to check out the crime scene and the body of the victim. Arhu tells you that the councilor was killed in the inn, but the place is guarded by legion and you need to get the captain's permission to see it.
- He also tells who is the main suspect, but says she's under custody (so you don't have to fear she might run away) and in every movie or TV series about omicide investigations they always start from the crime scene
-You go to see the legion's captain (no point to go straight to the Inn cause you know they won't let you pass)
- After you receive the permission, you head toward the inn (again, not logical to see Esmeralda before, Aurelius himself is not very convinced about her guilty)
- Arrived at the inn, you could either talk with people first ( including Duke Ferrol as the innkeeper reveals his relation with Esmeralda) or enter the room of the murder. It does not change much.
-You do all the things at the end of time and you come back as soon as you can
- You search the room for evidence, you find nothing interesting. There's a chest inside the room, and even if you don't have the key I think there's no valid reason to not break it open or lockpick in order to find clues. You find the poem.
-Now you can talk to Duke Ferrol even if you questioned him before entering the room, since you have a new clue and he is already there.
- Now the body is missing, we can assume Jake has passed away many days before our arrival cause he's already been buried. They don't have refrigerated cellars in this world and there's nobody you had met that said something about the autopsy. It would be logical to head to the mougre.
- The undertaker will look shady and gives you nothing. At this point you have a main suspect, the poem (which can be a motivation for the murder) so I'm not entirely sure that going to the cemetery (not having a precise idea of what to look for) is the best way to act. Going to see Esmeralda right away would sound fine, it's something kinda logical to do because you have an high chance to understand more about the case than wandering in the graveyard.
- But let's say we go to the graveyard with pet pal talent, you talk to the dog, you dig the grave (which kinda sound like something you should get approval for, so you shouldn't do it so lightly and try to see if you could avoid that by solving the mystery through Esmeralda)
- You dig the the grave anyway, find the sheep, go back to the undertaker and make him give you the name of four people who could've taken the body
- you have Evelyn: you haven't met her, she's not a suspect and have almost nothing that point towards her
-Major and Aurelius are powerful and respected people, you would think twice before upsetting them with too many questions if not extremely necessary.
-Esmeralda : she's a suspect so you are expected to confront her, you have a motivation for the murder... I think she is the most logical choice.
-You go to Esmeralda shop, you interrogate her and she claims to be innocent. Now you have all the rights to search the building for proves, it works similar in the real world and I think the building is also the house of councilor Jake (otherwise you would not explain why his book about murder is in the other room). So you have many valid reasons to search the building.
-You try to open the other doors at the ground floor, locked. There isn't an option for asking her to open them : you can imagine she refuses so you have all the rights to kick em down, or you can go upstairs since you can go there without any problem.
-If you go upstairs you find the key, open the doors, search the basement and get the other 2 clues.
- You confront Esmeralda right away, she's already in custody and you don't need to show them to captain Aurelius to get the permission to put her in custody (you only need to talk to him if you want her in proper jail)
- She claims again to be innocent and accuse Evelyn.
-Now the idea of using the panties looks rather forced to me, it's not that obvious to think about it for someone in that situation. However, whatever you decide (using or not the panties, telling Aurelius to arrest her or not) in the end you have to go to Evelyn (you have more about her than you have on Aurelius and mayor and she's not very important in town so you would rather question her)
-Once you go to see her everything is revealed.

At now this looks like the most logical way to proceed, but even if you go the longest way described here you miss a lot of mystery, dislogues and I suppose the quest from Evelyn (and also the plot twist cause once you realize Evelyn is the killer she is a stranger to you, never seen her as a regular nurse)

How do you see this matter? Can you share me your point of view? How can I play the investigation longer and deeper while remaining logical?
Thank you in advance

Last edited by Laax95; 11/12/16 07:11 PM.