Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So far I believe the game will be as much of a success as DOS:1 if not more. It is clear there has been a huge leap in the entire GUI of the game as well as animations and environment. I'm expecting to want to tell people I know to buy this game and be proud of supporting it in Kickstarter.

With this being the Alpha version, I'm not going to speak ill of it now as I know there will be lots of change and I look forward to testing them. In the future postings I'll be re-creating my initial experience and pretend the best I can to not know what to expect. Unless there is too obvious of a change that I wouldn't have been able to ignore.

Now onto where the game gave me trouble...

Walking Around bug - still present, especially when attacking with a dagger. While it isn't the most severe issue, the fact it still remains since DOS:1 Alpha is really bad. Bug is defined; when melee attacking, your character will sometimes waste AP by walking around in an unnecessary manner to attack a creature that your already next to. The causes issues with them sometimes getting one or two opportunities of attack (from two different monsters when tightly packed).

1st Fault - Combat is a mess (see below). I'm not surprised on this due to the titles of many complaint threads. I'm hoping a lot of progress was made on the next update.

2nd Fault - Please see my 10-liters of blood thread.

3rd Fault - lack of humor. There is a lot of cocky attitude in dialog, but nothing that is funny. Example is "Here lies NPC who learned the hard way that trolls make for bad pets." Or "Here lies NPC who died from dieing." I simply love that one from the DOS:1 Enhanced Edition.

Starting off my character did the following in classic mode:
Created Wizard - didn't change any stats/starting spells
Killed first two voidwoven creatures
Recruited Red Prince
Help Hint dialog box told me to "walk behind things" and found hidden cove.
Got lightningscroll from little girl
Killed Voidwoven Turtles -- Very OP (over powered) battle
- was critical to use lightning scroll on the big turtle
- took a large amount of save/loading effort
Killed the two thugs that were going to kill the elf
Got quest to save elf in Gruff's cage
Didn't find elf kid in 2nd hiding spot (DIDN'T FIND 4th COMPANION)
Gave beer to healer for his patient, created first healing potion
Recruited Elf (looted lizards camp)
Used sneek to steal armor/loot chests
Killed three npc's over playing cards (tough, but not OP battle)
Found the guard that was made corrupted, got Restoration Ring
Gave up Restoration Ring, got key. NPC never showed me where to use it despite dialog saying she would.
Found NPC that stole food, rescued elf (Gruff battle Impossible to beat as I didn't want to give up the addict)
Three Frogs in back of elf cave... Extremely over powered, unbeatable.
Started playing on Explorer Mode as classic wasn't worth the stress...

Playing the game on Explorer mode felt like there was no point in combat...the HP was much lower and armor was well buffed. I didn't spend a fraction of the time in Classic mode to even loot armor from chests in the camp. Though my elf was bugged. With 99-100% chance to hit, she couldn't hit a single npc in combat. She was useless.

My suggestion is that existing Explorer mode should be "easy mode" with "classic" being similar to explorer mode just with no buffed armor/stats from difficulty settings and maybe +25% HP as rough numbers.

Classic Mode should be hard mode. In classic mode, I found combat far more challenging then in any other Divinity game. I know that I could have looked up a guide on this, but that is not my play style.

Typically I'll look up for help when I truly cannot figure out what to do or crafting guides.

Anyway, I'm not an upset or disgruntled customer as I know Larian will listen to all player feedback. If Larian were to start another kickstarter campaign before the next update, I would be a backer within 24hrs for that game too smile

Last edited by vometia; 29/01/17 01:39 PM. Reason: title

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I played it a bit on Explorer and now I think my game is bugged. Destroyed the soul container for the undead guy but he won't join my group. He acts as if his soul jar wasn't destroyed. It was destroyed during combat. There are no soul jars remaining.

The skeleton mages were way OP even during the Explorer Mode. Had to smash the one that made the whole floor frozen to cause them to slip and fall down and then picked them off one by one.

If there is no way for me to get the undead guy as a companion, I'm not touching the game until the next update.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
veteran
veteran
The undead guy never joins your group. There is no undead companion in the game at this moment. In fact, from what I'm hearing, the Undead won't be playable for a while, in order for Larian to have new things to talk about with the gaming media. The Undead might not even be playable until the full release.

veteran
veteran
There is also no dwarven companion. There are 2 humans, 1 lizard and 1 elf as possible companions.

Classic is not the hard mode, classic is the normal mode and tactician will be the hard mode. At least the start of classic is really tough since the last patch, because they overdid it, with making the game more challenging. It will surely get changed till official release. Also the game get easier after you reached level 4. And you can just avoid fighting the skeleton dudes headon, there are many ways around them. My friend and I ignored them, not because we thought them to hard, we just did not chose that way for exploring. But if I remember correctly, there were pretty tough, tougher than the other 4 skeletons.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by LightningLockey
I played it a bit on Explorer and now I think my game is bugged. Destroyed the soul container for the undead guy but he won't join my group.
What makes you think he should? Free him from his suffering mate.

If you complete the quest in a civil manner you get XP.

Do you want anyone you help to join your group or what?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I understand the devs have acknowledged that they bumped up the difficulty a little too much in the last revision, so this should be addressed next time round.

And as Mr 07 says, Withermoore isn't a potential companion: I don't think we'll see the undead origin for a long while yet.

J'aime le fromage.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by vometia
I understand the devs have acknowledged that they bumped up the difficulty a little too much in the last revision, so this should be addressed next time round..
Did they?

In the release notes they said that they made the crocs and the necro-witch harder. They certainly did and both are now very hard.

The undead after you get to the swamp are also difficult considering their level (4) and the limited XP you get.

I don't want things easier really as you can always come back later but XP based on the hardness of a fight would be good. It seems a bit random at the moment.

veteran
veteran
They buffed the frogs and everything past Level 4. XP randomness is an issue, we are moaning about from the start sadly. frown

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by lx07
Did they?

In the release notes they said that they made the crocs and the necro-witch harder. They certainly did and both are now very hard.

The undead after you get to the swamp are also difficult considering their level (4) and the limited XP you get.

I don't want things easier really as you can always come back later but XP based on the hardness of a fight would be good. It seems a bit random at the moment.

The difficulty doesn't have to go down to snoozefest mode, but it is tuned a bit too high at the moment, I believe. However, I think in part that is because of an overabundance of dangerous surfaces which make unexpected chain reaction explosions too common. If that aspect is tuned down, the difficulty should be better with fewer tweaks to the actual encounters and enemies.

I agree that the XP which fights give you is pretty random and needs tweaks. You get more for handling the easy encounter with Burro/Kana in Elohdi's quest than you do for the much more dangerous Voidwoken turtles.

veteran
veteran
Perhaps they should figure out a formula, to calculate xp based on the collective stats of an enemie. So every enemie would give xp regarding is real worth and not an estimated. With that you would have a base for overall xp and you could add xp for quests on top.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
The only battles that were decent was the first to voidwoven worms, two bullies at entrance and the card players. The rest were exceptionally difficult with the frogs as impossible. I tried for a good hour to kill those off and just gave up. On explorer mode they all died easily in two rounds of combat.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I've finally completed the first act.

Of note, bugs where neutral NPC's you save in battle become agressive when standing in fire or poison need to be resolved. They should just run away from the damaging area instead of start combat.

The walking-around bug needs to be fixed. This mostly effects you if wielding a dagger. Often the bug triggers attacks of opportunity when attacking a hostile NPC and your already in melee range, just for some reason walk a little. It is not as bad as it was in DOS:1.

There was a Knight that was named Cork. His HP was too low and died very early. I found a way to cheat to be able to save him, and I was barely able to do so. The cheat was separating all my party members. Have them sneak into position and get caught into combat. While they were in combat, the Lizard was able to keep sneaking until I got right next to the NPC named Cork. Pretty sure "cork" was the NPC's name.

Gareth was similar, but not as severe. It was very hard to save him.

Not sure if your only suppose to get 3 people in a party, that is all I could find while searching the whole island.

Librarian and Pigs - Bless doesn't seem to work on removing the necro-fire. Wasn't able to figure out a solution to this.

Skull (key) maze. This didn't feel polished at all, just kinda smashed together to take up space. I think it was suppose to be like the "trap house" in DOS:1, but not nearly as good. The boss fight area is about the only part of it that felt polished.

I'm depressed over the baby cub that lost its mommy. That is horrible...

Squeaky Ball - not sure where I found this or where to use it. I wish I could take it to work so I can annoy everyone in the office. Guess I'm stuck having to spend money on a real one...

Made a poor selection of "lip-kissing" the one which in the rose cave. Who the hell came up with that? Brilliant!

NPC's getting pissed about stuff stolen. Thanks for reading my feedback from DOS:1. I know there is a thread there with a youtube video from Legend of Zelda: LInk's Awakening after stealing from the store. Now I hope there is an area in the game that gets your whole party insta-killed if you re-enter a store (expecting magic one) after stealing anything. Should be a shop like Areas Magca in the market square from Sword of Lies. The shop where you pay a singer to sing, get the store owner outside to compliment the music and then raid his back room. Now that is the type of shop that should get the insta-killed.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the next update smile Pretty much check once a day on forums and kickstarter. Glad I'm a backer again.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I can try to answer a few of your points if you want.

Not sure if your only suppose to get 3 people in a party, that is all I could find while searching the whole island.

There are 4 npcs you can ally yourself with in Fort Joy, but you can only have a maximum party size of 4. The Red Prince on the beach at the very start contemplating suicide. Lohse praying to the Shrine of the Seven. Ivan-something next to the necromancy vendor. And Sebille sneaking around Stingtail.

Librarian and Pigs - Bless doesn't seem to work on removing the necro-fire. Wasn't able to figure out a solution to this.

For the Librarian, you have to get him on a puddle of blood and bless it. (May take multiple tries) which will cure him permanently of his condition. You can use Flesh Sacrifice with an elf and bless the resulting blood puddle.

As for the pigs.. they are somewhat bugged. If you wanna make sure to bless them correctly, just talk to them one by one with one of your characters, and bless them repeatedly until you see the 600xp gained popup. You will have a surprise once you bless all the pigs.

Squeaky Ball - not sure where I found this or where to use it. I wish I could take it to work so I can annoy everyone in the office. Guess I'm stuck having to spend money on a real one...

You can choose to use that ball on the hounds (on the first floor of the Fort) to avoid fighting them.

Q
banned
banned
Q
So you fisted the game?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by questions
So you fisted the game?

I guess I'll take the hint to correct the topic title...

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
To the OP's complaint about OP fights (heh):

I don't see why people are complaining about this. The fights are not hard at all. I've never had to reload a single time and I just charged in there against the turtles, the frogs, etc. I had more trouble in the forest.

Just set the turtles on fire. There's an oil barrel nearby. Use the terrain to your advantage.

N
old hand
old hand
N
To admit there are a FEW fights (exactly 3) that are nearly impossible if you fall for the trap.

The Undead (Twice), and Frogs... have an ambush spot where you will just die if you don't sneak to an advantageous spot first thing.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'm curious what you think the Undead ones are. I just charged into most of the Undead in the forest and managed to survive them (though it did practically make me - and the whole Act 1 - run out of rez scrolls).

The final fight is pretty impossible if you don't take out the Magic-using Magister first, though. I mean, that Source spell, Burning Skies. It'll insta-KO your entire party.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kelsier
To the OP's complaint about OP fights (heh):

I don't see why people are complaining about this. The fights are not hard at all. I've never had to reload a single time and I just charged in there against the turtles, the frogs, etc. I had more trouble in the forest.

Just set the turtles on fire. There's an oil barrel nearby. Use the terrain to your advantage.

Congratulations you are a super awesome player, perhaps the best ever. That does not mean that every player is as awesome and fantastic as you are and no changes are needed.

I also can't believe that you're suggesting "set the turtle on fire" as a solution. I'm saying this because both my main characters in that fight had fire magic, and the turtles loved to spray your party with a huge oil slick and bleed curse everywhere. Trying to setting the turtles on fire is usually how I got some of my characters killed.

enthusiast
enthusiast
So I just replayed that fight. All I had to do was self-cast Fortify on Red Prince, charge in with him, and all of the turtles then attacked him. I shot with Ifan from afar, dealing a bit of damage. I kept the Prince's MA up via the shield unique skill, then set the ground on fire. Turtles got heavily damaged, one died. Finished them off easily with a bit of CC.

Will post link to the video I recorded, once it's uploaded. It'll be private so only those with the link can see it.

Last edited by Kelsier; 31/01/17 07:33 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard