Print Thread
#598325 13/01/17 11:22 AM
L
lx07 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
All the other civil abilities seem to do something but I can't find any use for this one at all.

In the last game you could fill a chest with heavy things and hit enemies with it but that bit of cheese seems to have gone.

I tried putting every point I could into it on leveling up and through items but failed to find a single situation it did something I couldn't do anyway.

What am I missing? Is there anywhere it actually does something?

veteran
veteran
"It was in D:OS 1."

That's the reason why a lot of stuff was carried over from D:OS 1. It wasn't much good in D:OS 1 either. However, it does let you pick up paintings or shift barrels which you otherwise couldn't move, and that means lots of money.

Telekinesis should be recoded to allow the user to pick locks, pick pockets, open chests, and flip levers at a distance of [Max Telekinesis Range]. Then it would at least do what it's supposed to do.

EDIT: If Telekinesis cannot fulfill those basic functions, then it is in no way worth spending a precious once-every-four-levels Civil point.

Last edited by Stabbey; 13/01/17 10:44 PM. Reason: ultimatum
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Stabbey

Telekinesis should be recoded to allow the user to pick locks, open chests, and flip levers at a distance of [Max Telekinesis Range]. Then it would at least do what it's supposed to do.

+1

N
old hand
old hand
N
There is only like... one or two puzzles in the first game that needed Telekinesis to solve...

And they were so arbitrary and weird that you would swear there must have been another way.

---

Anyhow Telekinesis is weird in that... you wouldn't REALLY put more than one point in it (if any)... but you would make sure to have a few rings that increased it.

veteran
veteran
You can pickup stuff from affar, therefore your char does need to walk less, making picking up much quicker and also it looks quite awesome. But regarding the fact that social points got separated and are really scarce, you will hardly take Telekinesis, except if it is on an anyway good equipment.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
You can pickup stuff from affar, therefore your char does need to walk less, making picking up much quicker and also it looks quite awesome. But regarding the fact that social points got separated and are really scarce, you will hardly take Telekinesis, except if it is on an anyway good equipment.

Right. If the ONLY thing Telekinesis lets you do is pick up stuff from slightly farther away and move/take heavy items, then it is too narrow a niche for it to be picked as a civil ability. You'll get a higher benefit from just about every other civil ability. So either buff it or remove it.

L
lx07 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
All I could do is move heavy items and admittedly picking things up was quicker and it looked cool..

In DOS EE you could one-shot the Trife and Leandra with a Chest full of heavy barrels using Telekinesis if you were so inclined but I expect that was more a bug than intended.

I'll try it on the 150kg pictures next time - I had enough strength any way I think.

What I could not find was anywhere you actually needed it while the benefits of sneaking/thievery/persuasion/bartering are obvious. Even Lucky Charm very occasionally gives you an extra minor item and I like the tickley sound.

I'm hoping crafting/blacksmithing will put in an appearance soon. A civil ability for that (to make better things) would be nice.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Lets you pick of items, like paintings, that are out of reach or maybe to heavy. Its an alternative to strength when placing or moving heavy items, and in some cause superior because it allows you remain stationary when moving things around minimizing the risk of walking into a trap.

veteran
veteran
True, it makes is less dangerous to disarm/trigger traps with throwing something on them.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by lx07
In DOS EE you could one-shot the Trife and Leandra with a Chest full of heavy barrels using Telekinesis if you were so inclined but I expect that was more a bug than intended.

Was that patched? I haven't been able to use telekinesis for attacks in DoS:EE but maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

L
lx07 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
Worked for me on EE. If you look at the speedruns on youtube you can see it, for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQLYYBb9Ww&t=1480s

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by lx07
All the other civil abilities seem to do something but I can't find any use for this one at all.

In the last game you could fill a chest with heavy things and hit enemies with it but that bit of cheese seems to have gone.

I tried putting every point I could into it on leveling up and through items but failed to find a single situation it did something I couldn't do anyway.

What am I missing? Is there anywhere it actually does something?

TBH at least for the moment there seems to be very little to no use since you can go through the Alpha Island just fine without ever putting points on to it.

It is kinda bad since i personally prefer to put my points to something actually useful. I think they should totally remove the skill and make it spell in lets say Aerothurge Tier 1. Than i believe i would use it more often.

Maybe something like this:

Psionic Grab:

Grab an item or character and pull or push it away or towards you, dealing physical damage to it. This will also deal physical damage to any object the item or character crashes with a chance to stun living things.

Memory Cost: 1 Slot
AP Cost: 2AP
Armour Check: Physical Armour
Cooldown: 3 turn
Target range: 15.0m
Requirements: Aerotheurge 1

L
lx07 Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Malustraza
TBH at least for the moment there seems to be very little to no use since you can go through the Alpha Island just fine without ever putting points on to it.
You can go through the Island without putting points into anything in particular. I put all my points into WIT one time and only found a bunch of level 1 rings for example.

It is more fun to put your points in FIN/INT/STR depending on your preference and add enough memory that you cant get through gear to cast what you want. Otherwise the fights go on too long and you keep dying.

However (back to Civil Abilities) unless you want to traipse to a vendor you need Loremaster. Unless you can find the key you need Thievery. Unless you want to see a sparkly clover leaf twice in a playthrough you need Lucky Charm. I savescum persuasion checks so I don't know about that.

I can't pick up a heavy item (like a 150kg painting) with Telekinesis if I don't have the strength. I can move them (why would I want to do that) but not pick them up. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong.

You can however pick up stuff faster. If you don't have it you have to wait for the animation before you can pick up another item. This is boring if there are dozens of items to collect. If you do have Telekinesis you can pick up things at a reasonable rate.

So, I don't put points in it but I do use the Sebille (with lucky charm) and a pair of gloves or ring for telekinesis to pick stuff up.

Originally Posted by Malustraza
Grab an item or character and pull or push it away or towards you, dealing physical damage to it. This will also deal physical damage to any object the item or character crashes with a chance to stun living things.
You could do that in DOS:EE. You could put 50 water or oil barrels in a chest and hit someone. The damage was based on the weight of the chest so if it weighed thousands you did thousands of damage.

I would humbly suggest that that is cheating.

Moderated by  gbnf, Monodon 

Link Copied to Clipboard