Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
Just a small suggestion but currently character creation defaults to Sybille.

It would be better in my mind to start at custom origin that way the player has access to race and can still switch to the other characters.

Since what happens currently is that they will start off with sybille and want to see the other races, only to find they cannot adjust it... THEN go to custom (or the other presets)

Last edited by Neonivek; 18/01/17 09:28 PM.
veteran
veteran
It's a minor thing to be sure, but that sounds like a good idea. Maybe I'm just biased because I will ONLY be making custom characters until the full release.

G
addict
addict
G
Or at least make it clearer which options aren't available on an origin character. I don't remember if the race arrows are greyed out or something else, but it's really unclear that the intention is that you can't adjust them - it initially seems like it's broken.

veteran
veteran
Originals are of course predefined by their race and I think also about how they look.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Rubbish.

There has to be a default. At the moment it is Sybille. If another player joins in multi-player their default is the Red Prince and Sybille is not available as she has been taken.

If you are saying that the default should be to ignore all the origin stories and make up your own (i.e. custom) then OK. I've no idea how it would make it better for anyone though as you are better off playing an origin first and Sybille is the most focused of the 4. For a start you always get an extra XP600 for completing whatever little quest it is with an origin player which you don't with custom and even that makes it a little easier at the start.

Unless your point is you just don't like origin I guess in which case you can customize your character before your start. You only have to change it.

If your suggestion is that origin players should have been created but somehow hidden as a secondary choice then I think you've missed the point. If custom was the default then by your reckoning, no-one would bother playing origin and the whole development would have been pointless.

N
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
N
lx07, the suggestion is only that when you open up character creation the character that is currently shown is the custom origin... because that is the most modifiable and thus the one people can look at the options with before looking at the other characters.

G
addict
addict
G
I wouldn't mind seeing a clear toggle between origin characters vs custom character, rather than custom just being one that you might hit if you scroll through the origin characters.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Neonivek
lx07, the suggestion is only that when you open up character creation the character that is currently shown is the custom origin... because that is the most modifiable and thus the one people can look at the options with before looking at the other characters.
I know and I understand.

I think (and it is only my opinion) it is a bad idea as anyone who wants to can make a custom character by simply changing the character to "custom". I spend ages at this point.

People who can't be arsed to change the defaults would be better off with Sybille unless of course you want to default custom stats to something or other.

C
C
Originally Posted by lx07

If your suggestion is that origin players should have been created but somehow hidden as a secondary choice then I think you've missed the point. If custom was the default then by your reckoning, no-one would bother playing origin and the whole development would have been pointless.

Good. These games should be based around the player made character (hence the first game). Their development as a main point was pointless.

I will take the released game and promptly throw most of the premades in the trash at release unless they feel less shoe horned in and more like the companions in the first one. Just give me the random companion thing early so my warrior does not have to be an insufferable twat :P

Last edited by CamKitty; 21/01/17 06:44 AM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by CamKitty
Just give me the random companion thing early so my warrior does not have to be an insufferable twat :P
Are you suggesting that the Red Price is more of an insufferable twat than Jahan? Possible but I doubt it and I am well aware that he was an irritating Mage not an irritating Lizard.

I'm not sure. Ifan beats either of them in terms of twatiscosity though I think.

As in the last game, you are better off picking up the girls. They might be nutty but not nearly as annoying as the boys are.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Jahan was incredibly irritating. The Red Prince is a sort of haughty toff but doesn't really do it for me; Ifan put me off initially but I discovered that actually I didn't mind him all that much. He just seems a bit scruffy and disreputable and kind of reminds me of Nobby Nobbs from Pratchett's "Guards" books, though that's probably just me.

Madora also irritated people quite a lot but I didn't object to her in spite of her being a bit of a gobshite, excuse my Klatchian.

J'aime le fromage.
C
C
Originally Posted by lx07
Just give me the random companion thing early so my warrior does not have to be an insufferable twat :P
Are you suggesting that the Red Price is more of an insufferable twat than Jahan? Possible but I doubt it and I am well aware that he was an irritating Mage not an irritating Lizard.

I'm not sure. Ifan beats either of them in terms of twatiscosity though I think.

As in the last game, you are better off picking up the girls. They might be nutty but not nearly as annoying as the boys are.

Opinions on who is irratating aside, the first game also let you have random companions early. i don't really care about the pre built besides if I want to try a companions story in a run. I do NOT care to play "as a preset", that is not Divinity

veteran
veteran
I don't think, Hall of Heroes was that early. It was past the first act if I remember correctly, so more in midgame. Also I personally never found them really appealing. But that is just a point of personal opinion, like the whole topic.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I do NOT care to play "as a preset", that is not Divinity
Nor do I as it goes.

There are quite a lot of posts here saying Larian are planning to let you define all 4 characters in future without dodgy workarounds. Whether this is true or wishful thinking I couldn't say. Hopefully.

Originally Posted by vometia
Ifan put me off initially but I discovered that actually I didn't mind him all that much. He just seems a bit scruffy and disreputable and kind of reminds me of Nobby Nobbs from Pratchett's "Guards" books, though that's probably just me.
That's it, thank you! That one comment rings so true for me my opinion has flipped from annoyance to "ahhh, bless"...

G
addict
addict
G
I would actually much prefer to play a preset, the first few times through at least. The story runs are the main draw for me. What if Explorer mode defaulted to an origin character and Classic mode defaulted to custom?

C
C
Originally Posted by grysqrl
I would actually much prefer to play a preset, the first few times through at least. The story runs are the main draw for me. What if Explorer mode defaulted to an origin character and Classic mode defaulted to custom?

Heck, I would dare say that even fits the flavour of the Explorer mode

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard