Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I dislike that when you kill a merchant, you get everything back that you sold him. In D:OS1 I found this out by accident (In the village with the orcs and barbarians when they started fighting each other). I am sad that it is still in D:OS2.
I would call this "feature" an exploit.

suggestion: If you sell items to a merchant, they disappear every time he gets new items. When you level up, the merchant sells all his old things to buy new items. When you sell things to a merchant, he has more things to sell to (the one he gets his wares from) so he has more things to sell to you next time. So when you sell lots of items to somebody who sells skill books, he might have 2 pieces of the same skill book instead of one of every type. An equipment dealer might have an additional piece of equipment or a piece of equipment is upgraded by 1 level (from normal to magic, or from magic to rare item). Other merchants might just have a bit more gold.

You should NOT get everything back that you sold him when you kill him. You do not get his other wares after all. So maybe party members are limited by the wight they can carry, but merchants can store infinite things in their interdimensional space time pocket that disappears when the merchant dies.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:
enthusiast
enthusiast
I like this idea. Also got an idea from the topic title; what if you could "invest" in merchants to raise relations with them and get more discounts, special offers etc.?

E.g a screen where you can for example press a button, "Invest 300 gold", and you get a screen where relation change is shown, plus maybe you could get share of sold items each hour? A sort of steady income.

veteran
veteran
You can invest into merchants kind off. If you give them stuff, they will like you more and therefore lower the prices somewhat, to a max of 100 attitude I guess. And keeping the sold items is probably because you could accidently sell an quest item and need the option to buy it back.

But yeah, selling stuff to vendors and killing them to get it back is pretty exploitable.

T
addict
addict
T
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
And keeping the sold items is probably because you could accidently sell an quest item and need the option to buy it back.

Quest items should not be sellable.

old hand
old hand
I like it. Selling items to merchants means they buy more stock instead of just keeping your stuff forever. It is a bit weird how you gain all your items and gold back from killing a merchant, but not any of the stuff they were selling. It would be nice if zero drops from merchants could somehow be explained instead of just a necessary balance fix. Or something that could be balanced.

Perhaps you do gain all the merchant loot, but if you kill more than a couple merchants (excluding ones involved in quests), you gain a "Merchant Killer" tag or something that makes other merchants wary in dealing with you (and perhaps the whole party for associating with you) and raise their prices and hire guards. I don't think it would too outlandish that you could garner this reputation far and wide. No more strange than merchant items disappearing when they die.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Tinkerer
Originally Posted by Kalrakh
And keeping the sold items is probably because you could accidently sell an quest item and need the option to buy it back.

Quest items should not be sellable.

It's a bit tricky because there aren't really designated "quest items" like most games, in that you might not even be aware that an item is quest-related. If you can't sell quest items, then you basically make it impossible to have "secret" quest items. So yeah, it would suck if a quest item you sold disappeared. I suppose you could make it so merchants would keep quest items and get rid of everything else, which sort of assuages the secret quest item issue, in that you might not notice a merchant has kept a quest item around.

Last edited by Baardvark; 19/02/17 07:56 PM.
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I thought about it a bit:
I think I am against the way it is now because it feels quite immersion breaking to me. In real life you can:
- Go to a shop to buy or sell items
- Go to a shop and steal everything you find in this shop (or as much as you can carry and run away with). This might or might not include killing the merchant.

You do not:
- Go to a shop and sell items until you have all the gold the merchant can give you. Then you kill the merchant, but you take only the things you sold him back, you touch none of the items of the merchant.
In real life, you would simply steal the money of the merchant, which might or might not include killing the merchant.

Regarding quest items:
At the moment, the game has very little items that are required to finish it. I think only if you lose the items with source disruption and the dragon does not help you, then you are unable to finish. Losing some other items might prevent you from solving a quest in a specific way, but there are other ways to continue.

So if you make it impossible to sell source relics and keys, you cannot put yourself in a position where you cannot finish the game.

groovy Prof. Dr. Dr. Mad S. Tist groovy

World leading expert of artificial stupidity.
Because there are too many people who work on artificial intelligence already :hihi:

Moderated by  gbnf 

Link Copied to Clipboard