Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
veteran
veteran
You know, Stabbey, I never supported the nerf nor defended it, so you are still completly missing the point. I just tried to guess Larians reasoning for the nerf. I always supported the AI to look around, if an opponent suddendly disappears with using sneak.

Of course Guerilla should work with range attacks. Guerilla means that the enemie is not aware of you and therefore is not prepared to respond to your attack, so it is easier to aim for a vital spot and hit them hard.

If I think about, perhaps they should exchange the benefits from Guerilla and Rage: Give Guerilla increased crit-chance and Rage increased damage. If would totally deny sneak+backstab+sneak+backstab exploits anyway therefore. Wouldn't work with magical skills either anymore or at least with reduced effectivity.

addict
addict
Guerilla with crit chance is just completely removing it from a backstab build, which isn't even the serious offender of Guerilla abuse. It also clash with Hothead which works as a preempt and fullhealth crit source. (if you are sneaking with high wit, chances are, you are at full health anyway)

50% damage Guerilla with double shot makes Sneak-snipe looks weak for a preemp, and that's a ridiculous preempt to begin with. 25% actually feel somewhat fair.

Last edited by Ellezard; 17/02/17 04:05 PM.
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by lx07
I just did a solo Archer playthrough and I took Guerilla. 25% is worth it.

However I was going to be sneaking anyway as with one player you have to. For longer (tougher) fights it gets boring though.
I have seen a YouTube vid someone do that. It was interesting.
The main question is, : Is the game created to be played like that or it is a collection of bugs which allows that?

Current combat suffers by transition between realtime and round game. There is no good system for start a battle, also end of battle (end of turn based game) is unfortunate. Your party might be killed by game mechanics. Playthru of sniping Guerilla uses all those underdeveloped areas for player advantage.

Also AI has no power how to search for player. Such functionality is NOT present, but game offers hit and run tactics. e.g. game need either add AI for hunting or disable option for hit-run tactics which prevents to start a battle. The one hidden archer focused to take advatgae of design flaw. Misused game mechanics.

It is designer work, to make it so, that spoiled game mechanic will not cause advantage or disadvantage. That should be taken care off.

My idea of the classic encounter is:
- the party starts in a party walk formation, always. Pre-battle setup is reseted.
- transition real-time vs turn based is initiated by game or player. Turn based phase is ended by player. e.g. player has a choice to continue in turns even after all enemyes are eliminated. ( number of aftermatch turns could be limited to 10)
- flee mechanic need to be reworked. Like heavy rework.
- option to hit without battle need to be removed (or add smart AI who can hunt player, track him down, call reinforcement and so on. e.g. clearly out of scope this game)

Last edited by gGeo; 18/02/17 03:56 AM.
addict
addict
If it's not intended then Lone Wolf run is pretty much impossible since you will always get CC'd to death. They even have a talent where you can "Flee even when enemies are nearby" so the whole "Shoot, run, flee" is pretty much intended and if you want to do Non-stealth melee lonewolf, you will have to abuse that flee talent instead of Guerilla.

The best thing about Divinity is that you can play almost any strat and still do well as long as you don't go 100% min build RP that specialize in sucking. The whole "Guerilla tactic" is pretty much just planning the entire game strat around Preemptive strike until it becomes a 1-1 and that is just one out of many strats we currently have that can be used to clear the game.

If the game actually starts balancing the whole game around a certain winning strat then that is actually when it becomes a flaw and need to be addressed, like how the whole game is planning damage build based around rage or how everyone will play with 1 in Scoundrel and Pyro just to have Haste and Adrenaline.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Ellezard
They even have a talent where you can "Flee even when enemies are nearby" so the whole "Shoot, run, flee" is pretty much intended

Look at DOS1 Debuff potions, Enviroment talent, Weapon On hit effect. There are a lot of dead ends and underdeveloped stumps in released product. Talent allowing abuse missing AI for hunting is one of them.

Larians might want to show something but in the middle find out its too resource consuming so they do something else. The chaotic way of development is a trademark I think. Look at Q&A of Pillars2, Josh Sawyer has pretty nice frame for skills, rule set, combat and so on. He did pretty hard maths and tests for stats. Its a more than year before release. Larians are few months to release but they dont have such frame.

Larians spends at least 2 people for at least 2 months to create system for nice weapon hit animation. Thats is greate, right? Well, it could be... althou combat use weapon attack less than 1%. So you have spend at least 16 000EUR for nearly non effect... .

DOS Arena was amazing way for testing combat. I think 4-5 seasons should be needed to polish it. One season per month. Are we getting close?

Last edited by gGeo; 19/02/17 01:28 AM.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by gGeo
Originally Posted by Ellezard
They even have a talent where you can "Flee even when enemies are nearby" so the whole "Shoot, run, flee" is pretty much intended

Look at DOS1 Debuff potions, Enviroment talent, Weapon On hit effect. There are a lot of dead ends and underdeveloped stumps in released product. Talent allowing abuse missing AI for hunting is one of them.

I don't get what you're talking about that weapon on-hit effects didn't work (as you said in another thread). They work fine on regular attacks (at least in the EE).

Anyway stealth, snipe, and flee strat is pretty stupid, but if you want to play that way, whatever. But the fact that enemies don't search for you when you're stealthed and the only person in combat does feel just plain broken. It wouldn't even be that hard to script in some intelligent-ish behavior, and ought to be part of the AI 2.0.

Last edited by Baardvark; 19/02/17 05:29 AM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by lx07
I just did a solo Archer playthrough and I took Guerilla. 25% is worth it.

However I was going to be sneaking anyway as with one player you have to. For longer (tougher) fights it gets boring though.
I have seen a YouTube vid someone do that. It was interesting.
The main question is, : Is the game created to be played like that or it is a collection of bugs which allows that?
I don't think it is meant to played like that. I wouldn't say bugs let you do it except for the fact that enemies don't look around if you are sneaking.

It isn't particularly fun way to play - there is no thought or skill required. You just slowly grind through enemies with sneak shoot sneak. I was just curious I suppose and probably will not do it again.

G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Baardvark
about that weapon on-hit effects didn't work (as you said in another thread). They work fine on regular attacks (at least in the EE).
Well, it is a some time but ... .
Weapon has a chance like 5% for Knock
That chance is checked against Bodybuilding

early game On hit effects comes around 6 level and are about 2-5%
Which means any opponent who is One level higher OR has One point in Bodybuilding ALWAYS resist. e.g. 99% of all opponents ALWAYS resists

Later in game is situation even worst. Becouse oponents have 3-8 saving throws, but On hit effect do not go over 30% or so. e.g. 99,9999 % oponents always resist.
I have made 3 full game runs and one part run, but applications of On hit effect was less than 20times at all. That means, in my book, On hit effects dont work.

Last edited by gGeo; 20/02/17 06:22 AM.
veteran
veteran
Sound like, they did work in concept, they were just too weak. Either higher level items need higher chances or they had to have no saving throw against. So more of a concept flaw or having not fully finished then thinking path by implemention.

old hand
old hand
about that weapon on-hit effects didn't work (as you said in another thread). They work fine on regular attacks (at least in the EE).
Well, it is a some time but ... .
Weapon has a chance like 5% for Knock
That chance is checked against Bodybuilding

early game On hit effects comes around 6 level and are about 2-5%
Which means any opponent who is One level higher OR has One point in Bodybuilding ALWAYS resist. e.g. 99% of all opponents ALWAYS resists

Later in game is situation even worst. Becouse oponents have 3-8 saving throws, but On hit effect do not go over 30% or so. e.g. 99,9999 % oponents always resist.
I have made 3 full game runs and one part run, but applications of On hit effect was less than 20times at all. That means, in my book, On hit effects dont work.

Weren't saving throw resists changed from additive to multiplicative from the original to the EE? Because I certainly got an okay number of weapon procs.

So before a 15% chance to apply something would be negated by 1 bodybuilding or willpower, whereas afterwards, 1 bodybuilding would reduce the 15% chance to apply by 15% of 15, which is about 2%.

Anyway, with zero bodybuilding/willpower in D:OS2, balancing weapon procs is way different. Still think the biggest issue is weapon skills not activating them at all.

Last edited by Baardvark; 21/02/17 12:45 AM.
G
addict
addict
G

So before a 15% chance to apply something would be negated by 1 bodybuilding or willpower, whereas afterwards, 1 bodybuilding would reduce the 15% chance to apply by 15% of 15, which is about 2%.

We have four direction on the map. They are all those three : North and South.

Dont understand what are you saying. It works like that:
On hit effect less than 14% with Saving throw=1 will proceed never. e.g. In real game, On hit effects happens very very very very seldom.
Witch could be described shorter as "not working".

Last edited by gGeo; 23/02/17 07:51 PM.
old hand
old hand
I mean I believe the saving throws were changed to be multiplicative. That is, in a multiplicative saving throw, with an enemy of 1 bodybuilding if you have a 50% chance to apply a status, you actually have a 50% TIMES .85 chance to apply the status, which is a 42.5% to apply.

An additive (or rather, subtractive) saving throw means that you would have a 50% MINUS 15% chance to apply, which is 35% chance to apply. Big difference, especially with smaller application chances, where the multiplicative effect is obviously much smaller than a 15% subtraction per WP/BB. I believe the Enhanced Edition changed the saving throw from additive to multiplicative, perhaps specifically to not make weapon proc effects completely useless.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard