Next Thread
Print Thread
L
Luuin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
I saw the kit and immediately thought "oh nice a melee mage, i always liked that" but as I looked closer at the kit and what the suggested stats are it seems.... underwhelming.

It starts you off with Necro/Warfare/Telekinesis and a staff. With Int and Con as the main stats in the base kit.

Now, I assume it's a kit that would give you easy access to steady elemental damage, since using a Int weapon (staff) causes the listed element to be used when you melee with the staff. As well as cause the elemental damage when you use the Warfare abilities as well. Problem is, the damage on staves are so low you end up doing the majority of your damage with spells from range instead of getting up close for the Warfare stuff (which does low damage as well, since it takes the weapons dps in to account).

Then there's the issue with needing to put points in to STR just to use some of the better gear that has physical armor on it so you don't get diced in melee or Finesse since it has both physical and magical armor. But STR is a dead stat since all of your damage comes from INT.

I like the idea behind it, but it seems very undertuned due to Staff damage and armor selection. Then there's issues with the different stats you need to put points in to as well. Int/Con for damage and HP so you don't get tanked in one round. There's also Memory for more spell slots since you're supposed to be a half caster and also Wit for initiative or crit if you wanna try boosting damage by letting spells crit. Granted, you can focus on getting Wit or Memory on gear, but then again it makes your damage lower than other class kits who can look for gear with main stat.

Seems like you would be better off being a pure warrior or mage instead of a half baked multiclass like the Inquisitor trying to do too many things at once.

Maybe I'm missing something and someone's played a Inquisitor kit all the way through and could shed some light on it if it gets better.

Last edited by Luuin; 22/02/17 06:18 PM.
Larian is reworking a lot of the classes so that there isn't only 4 or 5 viable ones.

enthusiast
enthusiast
not go to off topic but what are the "viable" ones atm im too busy with roleplaying 1 type to care.

Rogues are the best
veteran
veteran
I didn't like the starting Inquisitor kit either. I adjusted it so it starts out with Pyro and Warfare (and keeps Warlord), and the starting skills Battering Ram, Flaming Daggers, and most importantly, Haste. At level 2 I pick up Scoundrel for Adrenaline. The goal is to have many ways to regain AP per turn. Going elf helps with that.

But apparently everyone builds for Haste and Adrenaline so it's not actually unique or special at all.

TL;DR: These classes are the best designed and well balanced in all aspects compared to the unlisted classes as starting bases for companions, but don't let me tell you how to play cause I'm not trying to nor do I want to. You spent your money you play how you want.

Fighter, Knight, Enchanter, Rogue, Ranger, Wizard and Shadowblade.

These only apply to companions since you can customize your main character completely, but companions are stuck with the base classes talents, stats, etc.

You can beat Act 1 as anything sure and probably the whole game, it'll just take more time, more planning and more frustration playing as classes that are underwhelming like Inquisitor or Wayfarer, but if you want to play effectively with minimal frustration you need to take these classes as bases for your companions otherwise you are only gimping your party with classes that bring nothing that a better designed one could and extra with it.

Obviously i'm no authority on it and I'm not claiming that these classes are the only way to play, cause that isn't true. I'd say i'm between a min/maxer and just a dude who likes to play efficiently without crunching the numbers too hard.

This kinda thing applies to a lot of the game even, I mean look at the talent Zombie, you should NEVER take it cause it is horrible in every way possible and you could gimp your character completely if there isn't a talent switching mechanic in the game, it is just that bad a talent.

Last edited by Kokoro-Sensei; 22/02/17 11:04 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
ty yeah i remember trying to make witch/wayfarer/cleric work to no avail when using the companion characters just felt underwhelming and annoying.

Rogues are the best
L
Luuin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
Jeez. Even feels difficult getting through magical armor on the harder enemies who have a lot of it, which is supposed to be their thing, as an Inquisitor unless you dump points in to Aerotheurge. Gonna have to put down this character until they do another Kit pass in an update. Having to put too many points all over the place right now.

Last edited by Luuin; 23/02/17 11:09 PM.
The other problem with even playing offensive mages or magic damage dealers at all is that you have to look at the fight like this..

The enemy has physical AND magical armor, so you get the magic armor down, but you are going to do so little damage to his hp compared to your 3 other melee dps why even try to do magic damage in the first place, which is why right now its best to play 1 support mage and 3 melee damage dealers, also the fact that the mage is primarily if not only aoe abilities that will kill your rogues, tanks and close range fighters.

Overall the mage in general needs to be tweaked, though I believe Swen said they are going to add more spells into the game to test eventually, so there might be some good single target spells that'll make an offensive mage more viable.

L
Luuin Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
L
Also completely forgot to mention that as a melee Mage they need to carry 2-3 different elemental type weapons so they don't deal half damage to someone or even worse, heal them.

G
stranger
stranger
G
I had this problem with my "Necromancer" Elf, which is Inquisitor with Necromancy, Geomancy, and Zombie Talent. I could heal myself with poison, but had little damage compared to ice/fire and virtually no CC. The long cooldowns on the spells didn't help much either, so enemy damage would just outpace my heals and poof, dead. What ever happened to low level summons? We all miss you guys!

old hand
old hand
Summons are going to be part of the summoning skill tree. Mage damage in general is a bit low, though as they add more skills the utility and AOE attacks should hopefully make up for that.

Plus fire whips just might solve all the problems :P Excited for a mid-range (6-8m) magic damage weapon type, if that's what they're hinting at in their latest twitter post. (Also there better be evil skull knee pads in the game!)

Last edited by Baardvark; 02/03/17 01:53 AM.

Moderated by  gbnf, Kurnster, Monodon, Stephen_Larian 

Link Copied to Clipboard