Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#601065 19/03/17 11:26 PM
N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Hey guys, newbie to this game, I just started playing the game, and I have a few questions... first, I am seeing broken vases all over the place. I learned quickly that if I go around bashing those broken vases, it does some wear and tear to my weapons. I bash them just to see what is inside them, but is there a better way to find out what it inside without bashing them to pieces? Do I get anything from bashing the broken vases?Also, I got the fishing pole but am not sure how to fish. Any suggestions? I found a scroll on the ground that teaches my rogue to disarm traps. But, they are one use only. As was picking locks. What discretion should I use with both disarm traps and picking locks on whether or not to open a chest or disarm a trap? Thanks so much, everyone!

Support
Support

You can left click vases to open them, without smashing them, and broken vases don't contain anything. There are some indestructible weapons, and ranged magical attacks can also damage most doors and containers.

You can equip a fishing rod to use as a weapon, but there is no way to use them to fish.

With traps try to find a way around or trigger it from a distance before using a trap disarm kit, and for chests search for a key before using a lockpick. Lockpicks can be crafted, as well, but often there is a key, switch/lever, or other means to open locked doors and chests.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I am actually playing this game on my PS4, but I see your point about opening objects rather than smashing them. What's the point to have broken vases everywhere? And are you saying that I should avoid traps and save the disarm kit for when there is no other option? I have played through most of the first dungeon, have found some doors and chests that - taking your advice - can be opened via a key or switch/lever. Thanks so much for the advice!

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Also, when I am looking at a vase or chest or something, there is an option available where I can "toggle information" - I don't know what it does but it must do something or otherwise it wouldn't be in the game. What does the toggle information option do? I tried it a few times, when examining a chest or vase or what have you. A window opens, but every time I use this option, there is nothing listed. I know I am very early in the game, but I still would like to know about this. What does it do?

Support
Support

The broken vases are there mostly for atmosphere, though can be used for the first set of pressure plates. Later areas don't contain so many broken containers (the tutorial dungeon is an old tomb, that has been searched at least once already).

Yes, if there is an easy alternative, you should avoid using consumables (within reason).

When using the Active Search feature (on console, or using a controller on PC) or in the inventory, 'Toggle Info' gives information about the item. For a container, it will just show the AP cost to open it (if it contains any items) or will be blank (if opened and looted); for something like a shell, it will list the effect, if you've discovered that by eating one, the AP cost, duration of the effect and a description. Try it on scrolls and potions, etc, in your inventory.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
A few more questions - first, are all class related items "single use only"? I know that my disarm trap and pick locks skills are usable only once. And later in the game can I make my own item such as these? Also, I am opting to play a fighter and a rogue - can characters such as these two use magic related items, scrolls, etc.? Do enemies respawn? Is saw that, on the character creation screen, each character class has three skills unique to their own. Is there a way to highlight those skills so I can have an accurate understanding of those skills? Am I correct in assuming that later in the game I will be able to have more characters join my party? Again, I am playing a fighter and a rogue - but I also want to play other classes, unfortunately I am only able to use two of them at this time.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I hate to ask this, but like I said before... I am playing a fighter and a rogue. I chose them because of the melee element, and the rogue-ish lock picking, trap disarming, pocket picking skills. I don't know much about this game, but I wanted to ask if my choice of character class was a good one?

stranger
stranger
It's my assertion that everything is viable in this game. Fighter is pretty fun in my opinion as is the rogue. They can work well together with the fighter supporting the rogue and playing the meatshield. You also have the ability to get followers in this game that will fill other roles such as mage, ranger, cleric, so on. You can either get them from talking to people in the first city or getting henchmen once you unlock the Hall of Heroes.

Ultimately, you'll really end up with 4 people in your party so you can really build out the group as you want. I have yet to do a full physical/no magic playthrough but it could be fun. Ultimately if you do get magicians, you'll occasionally have an issue with placings fields and spells in such a way that it doesn't harm your melee characters, but it's still viable.

I would say for you, that if you enjoy the melee playstyle, give some of the others a shot with henchmen/followers. I am usually a rogue player, but I found that I love the magic system in the game =)

Support
Support

The 'class' presets in character creation only determine your starting abilities/attributes/talents/skills (all of which can be modified) and initial equipment.

Lockpicks can be crafted (needle+needle, key+soap [though soap is relatively rare] or nine inch nails + hammer [nails are also useful for making footwear slip-proof]); trap disarm kits can not be. Many scrolls can be randomly crafted, or skillbooks created by a specific scroll and blank skillbook (with some exceptions).

Any character can use scrolls, etc, and (with an appropriate level of the respective ability) learn any skill/spell. A warrior with one point put into Geomancer, for example, can learn Midnight Oil (useful to slow opponents, or follow up with fire), Summon Spider and Boulder Bash (ranged attack that doesn't require line of sight); a level of aerotheurge would let them learn Teleportation (useful to damage and move out of or into range, and/or onto/into damaging/etc surfaces/clouds) and Thunder Jump, which is a decent way to get into the thick of combat (without boosting intelligence the stun effect will not be triggered as much on stronger opponents, but for a warrior that is just a bonus, anyway).
If you boost intelligence a bit on your rogue, you can mix in the touch range spells.

Opponents do not respawn.

You can hover over the skills on the hotbar at the bottom of the screen, or open the skill window (hotkey K, or the book icon under each character portrait on the left side of the screen).
For a full list, see here.

Once you get to the Cyseal marketplace, 2 of the potential companions are nearby, and the other 2 not terribly far away, one of whom you'll come across just following the initial main quest (the other requires a bit more exploring).

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
So disarm traps kits are one time use only and then are gone for good? Wow, will there be any other items in game that serve the same purpose? I guess I will hold on to those kits when I get them. Concerning lock picks and disarm traps - can the rogue eventually learn to do these actions without a kit? Just curious. How do I play my characters so that I can cross-class them? ...meaning have a fighter learn rogue skills, or a rogue learning magical skills, etc...? Was it said that while in character creation, it is possible to swap the starting skills?

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
... and I guess there is no way to max out all of a characters skill points? For example, have a fighter that can cast the really complex magics, or learn the in-depth clerical skills? It was said that there are no respawning enemies in the game, so I guess there is no grinding too.

Support
Support

There are magical unlock scrolls, but being rarer (can be crafted but scroll results are random), they are not a replacement for lockpicks if lockpicks will work on the lock in question.
There is no way to disarm traps or pick locks without an item.

To learn skills in another 'class' you just have to invest one or more ability points in the appropriate skills ability. The main issue with hybrid builds is balancing attributes; this can be mitigated by selecting skills that don't scale with a secondary attribute (ie Teleportation always works, even with a low intelligence character). Later in the game you can also boost attributes with equipment bonuses.

I don't recall if there is a tooltip specifically about changing skills in character creation. If you hit the Customize button a couple times it gives more detail each time.

You can max a couple abilities. If you don't want 2 master level skills, you can stop at level 4 of an ability (assuming you want one), and in some cases level 1 or 2 may be enough to give you the desired skills.

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition Character/Party Guide

Tactician/EE/Advanced Guide

Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition Character/Party Guide

Tactician/EE/Advanced Guide - If you aren't worried about min/maxing your characters, there are plenty of viable builds, but this gives a good overview to start with.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I am in the first city - and have an abundance of items in my character's backpack. But I don't know what to save and what to sell. Is there some sort of stash in this game for things I want to save but not to carry? If I sell something, can I buy it back? Is there a penalty for that (i.e. sell for gold, but buy back for more gold)?

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Neveroddoreven
I am in the first city - and have an abundance of items in my character's backpack. But I don't know what to save and what to sell. Is there some sort of stash in this game for things I want to save but not to carry? If I sell something, can I buy it back? Is there a penalty for that (i.e. sell for gold, but buy back for more gold)?

Literally every container in the game can be your stash. Put whatever you want in a barrel and it'll stay there. Find a chest you like and drag it back to town and it'll stay there. That being said, once you do a bit more and unlock the homestead, there are places in there that you can store things I believe.

you can buy back things you have sold, but I do believe there is a markup.

Support
Support

You would loose less gold buying things back with a high reputation and/or barter.

The homestead chests (available the portal after the Hall of Heroes) can be moved to a more convenient location (near a handy waypoint). Once unlocked, there will be a 'send to homestead' option in the right click (or whatever the controller button is) context menu in the inventory.
For other chests, I'd probably avoid the evidence chests from the legion headquarters building, in case that causes issues if a character gets arrested as some point for stealing or vandalism.

Some AI can pick up items left directly on the ground (ie opponents picking up and using dropped potions), but I'm not sure if that is the case for any friendly NPCs around town.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Raze said: When using the Active Search feature (on console, or using a controller on PC) or in the inventory, 'Toggle Info' gives information about the item. For a container, it will just show the AP cost to open it (if it contains any items) or will be blank (if opened and looted); for something like a shell, it will list the effect, if you've discovered that by eating one, the AP cost, duration of the effect and a description. Try it on scrolls and potions, etc, in your inventory.

Lockpicks can be crafted (needle+needle

The whole time I played OS Classic I didn't know that. I took to saving then seeing what something did then reloading (unless it wasn't significant). Should have known there was a better way.

How does one do needle/needle etc? I never did figure that one out as they would just combine into two needles in a pack. Breaking one out of a group also escaped me. I'm betting a lot of folks new to this game would benefit from this info.

Last edited by caninelegion; 25/03/17 07:00 PM.
Support
Support

For crafting in D:OS Classic, see the topic Crafting Recipes & Guide topic (or pdf download).

To combine 2 of the same item, you (often) need to split up a stack first: drag a stack of items from one slot to an empty slot, holding Shift down before dropping, to bring up the split stack UI, with a slider to select to select how many to move (defaulting to half).

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
First, thanks for your help, guys! I now have a better understanding of Divinity as a whole. A thought - it was said that lockpicks can be crafted, but disarm trap kits cannot. That said, how abundant are the materials needed to craft lockpicks? I am exploring the city of Cyreal right now, and have had to use a couple lockpicks - one for a door and one for a chest. That, and I have had to resort to a previously saved game because my rogue was caught taking something he shouldn't have! Now, to prevent that from happening, do I need to increase my pickpocket skill? ... meaning do I have to increase my pickpocket skill to decrease the chance of getting caught?

Support
Support

The mortician (house behind the King Crab) sells nine inch nails, and merchant inventories reset every hour or when characters level. Soap and needles can be found or bought randomly.

Walk in Shadows can help with stealing.

Whether an NPC can be successfully Pickpocketing depends on the NPC, the character's level and dexterity, as well as the level of Pickpocket.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Raze, you said that merchant inventories replenish every hour or when a character raises in level. Did you mean an hour in real time or an hour in game time? Also, would the shopkeeper inventory replenish if I were to go shopping as I please, save my game next to the merchant, go to the title screen for Divinity, and load my game? Would there be replenished inventory at that point? Also, in some games that I have played recently, if there are more characters to choose from than can be played at one time, if I level up my currently used characters, do the characters that I can choose from but were not played then and there, do the unused characters level up as well?

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I don't know about part one but I can answer part II: non used characters update - when you use them, you can choose how to allot EPs. Contracted characters (you may not be that far yet - available in a room at the end of time) do not improve - you get what they are when hired. I've never used them myself; I THINK they do get better as you use them.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Caninelegion - when you say "part one" and "part II", do you mean Divinity and Divinity II? I am playing Divinity, and have gotten far enough to hire/add characters to my party. I brought a mage into my party, I just want to know if I go about the game as is, and complete a bunch of quests and earn experience points, will the characters that I have NOT brought to my party earn experience points even when I don't use them...? It's been my experience that in some RPGs, the characters you DON'T play with never advance in level or earn experience points, so you have to use discretion with leveling them up along with the rest of the playable characters in the game, and with other games the characters that are available to play will earn experience points and level up even when you don't use them. So my ultimate question is... if I go about Divinity with one character played aside from the two characters I made a the beginning of the game - will the other hireable characters that I am not using earn experience points and level up along with the characters I am playing?

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
No; you had two questions and I couldn't answer the first. Poor choice of words on my part.

There are two ways to add characters to your party. One is by talking to the four people hanging around various areas near the first city. Three are in the city, one a bit outside. the other way is to pay a merchant of sorts at the end of time/home world for a mercenary. The mercenaries start the same regardless but if you choose say two of the original talk-to characters and later go back and choose one of the other two, that one will have accumulated EPs that you can then disperse to build up the character like he was with you the whole time.

I don't want to spoil things but, then again, this will happen regardless. There are two ways to "find" the "end of time" both in the initial city. The first one of the two that you do will immediately whisk you there. In that place, as the game progresses, you will unlock rooms. In one of those rooms, you can hire mercenaries (but still have a total of four in your party). Oh, and don't worry - once there, you can come and go as you please easily and quickly so you don't have to complete a bunch of stuff first.

Last edited by caninelegion; 30/03/17 09:38 PM.
K
stranger
stranger
K
Praise the Raze for his incomprehensible patience.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Is there a place in Cyreal for my charcters to rest and regain their vitality/hit points? And I have been looking for new characters to add to my party, I found only one - a mage. And can someone give me some battle tips - to avoid spoilers, I won't say where I am in combat or what is going on, but I have been at a place where I have tried a given battle numerous times, but have been unsuccessful. I have a few small healing potions, but maybe I need a new strategy.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Another question that comes to mind - To avoid spoilers, I won't say where I am in Cyreal, but the place I am at is giving me a rough time. I am low on healing potions, and am low on gold. Is there a place where I can heal my characters, like an Inn or something, so I can go back to the battle that is giving me problems and have progress from that point.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Yes but it requires some things to happen first. You can't sleep on a stranger's bed but sometimes, if the owner goes away for good, the bed is free.

Support
Support

You can rest in a bed, etc; there are some sleeping mats in the army tents close to the north gate waypoint, some in the (not quite as convenient) Hall of Heroes, and usable beds in several houses.

Jahan starts with a healing spell, and it wouldn't hurt to have one or more other party members pick up some (Regeneration and later Water of Life [water], Cure Wounds [warrior], First Aid [ranger]...) and you can also use food.

If you talk to the legion commander, get permission to enter the crime scene in the King Crab inn and then do so, you will have to walk near/past 2 of the other companions. Explore around town enough, and you can find an area with some combat suitable for level 2 or 3, as well as the last companion.
Madora, a 2 handed knight walking around the Kick Crab bar
Bairdotr, a ranger locked in a cage outside the legion headquarters
Wolgraff, a scoundrel in a set of tunnels under Cyseal, with multiple entrances in town, and one just outside

There is experience available in town from quests and exploration. Another companion should help with combat, and when you leave town, the easiest direction is out the gate behind the King Crab (the only one open, that you don't need to talk to a guard to be able to leave).

If guards see combat, they will come out to help, though can also get in the way of where you are planning to use AoE effects (the magic ballista on the walls are also usable, if combat is close enough).

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I used the balista once; tried a second time and the guards attacked me smile

Didn't know about the sleeping mats (I used another place after finishing a minor, quick and easy quest). Guards wouldn't even let me cook in their campfire so I assumed they'd get angry if I slept in their tent.

Support
Support

The guards at the gate behind the King Crab are a little more laid back; you can use the campfire there. There are others, but that one is relatively close to a waypoint, and on the way to the crafting area behind the blacksmith's house, with the furnace and anvil.

The cursor colour will let you know if something is owned / off limits when you mouse over it; white can be user or picked up without issue.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Ok, I am lost for ideas here, I just talked to Roberts, and got a lead to dig in the graveyard. I did some digging, and found the sheeps body. I did the quest tied to the sheeps body, and then discovered that there are four people who could have made off with the Jake's body. I talked to all four of them, but got nothing special. I checked my log and the last entry is listing the four possible culprits, but nothing more. What to do? btw, I can't talk to animals.

Support
Support

Search the homes and/or workplaces of the 4 suspects, as well as the crime scene. There is no court system to grant search warrants, so you'll have to do a little sneaking or break and entry to poke around. Once you have something more substantial than rumour and speculation (see spoiler for a hint), the relevant suspect will be more forthcoming. If you had Pet Pal, that would open up a possible solution where Pickpocket could come in handy.

You'll need 3 pieces of circumstantial evidence.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Raze, thanks so much for all of your advice (without giving too much away, I am appreciative). A question - in Divinity, what is the money situation? I know I am at the very beginning of the game, but am in fear that I am using up my lock picks too quickly. I know I will find some, and can make them too, but should I use my lock picks sparingly? I have been poking around back rooms and hidden spaces, which is thrilling in its own right, but I am afraid I will eventually be out of picks when I might need them the most. Any thoughts?

Support
Support

Eventually you should have plenty of gold. Stealing or crafting can speed that up, but are not necessary.

Earning a honest living (newbie friendly)

As long as you check for keys, etc, before resorting to using lockpicks, you should be fine.

You can craft lockpicks from nine inch nails, which you can buy from the mortician (in addition to randomly in loot or merchant inventories).

Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition Crafting Table searchable / filterable

Divinity: Original Sin EE - Crafting Guide

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I have come to notice that two of my characters have yellow exclamation points above their heads. What do they mean?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
It means they have something to say to each other: try initiating a conversation between them. The responses depend on what (if anything) you set their AI to.

J'aime le fromage.
N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Does what I choose for them to say affect the gameplay or the story?

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Are we allowed to ask quest related questions in this thread? I have a couple questions, but don't want to give away any spoilers.

Support
Support

There are dual dialogue which can give traits (ie after reading the diary on the body on the starting beach, or at the tutorial cave entrance), which can provide various bonuses. Other dual dialogues are tracked to determine the main characters' overall affinity (how much they agree) and attraction (how much they like each other), which influences a very small part of the epilogue.

You can ask anything game related in your own topic. Anyone reading through would see the progression and stop reading if they didn't want spoilers. You can always start general and become more specific (after you get to Luculla Forest, if you head east...) so people are warned if they have not gotten there yet, or you can use spoiler tags by enclosing text in [ spoiler] and [ /spoiler] (with spaces added, so they stay in plain text).

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I have quite a few quests on my log list, most concernig something outside Cyceal, but concerning the quest with Jake's murder, I found the dagger and the note, and I thought I picked up a book in Esmerelda's (sp?) bedroom, I went back and didnt see it anywhere. I walked to Aureus's building, and mentioned some things, but I don't know what to do next...? To him, I mentioned the dagger and probably the note, but I don't know where to go from here. Help!

Support
Support

Three pieces of circumstantial evidence are enough that they can not be easily dismissed. Confront Esmeralda with this evidence, or you can talk to the legion commander (or save and try both).

The book is found on the ground floor, not upstairs in the bedroom. You can find an item upstairs useful if you have the Pet Pal talent (an alternate way to narrow down the list of suspects).

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I have quite a few items in my character inventory, items that need to be identified. I don't have the skills to identify things, is there a place in Cyseal where I can have items, weapons, armor, etc all identified?

Support
Support

Merchants can identify items, for gold. If you keep an eye out you can find rings with Loremaster bonuses. If you are not using 2 Lone Wolf main characters, you can recruit a companion you are not otherwise going to use, level them up by having them join/rejoin the party, and use them to learn Loremaster, crafting and blacksmithing (take the Scientist talent); that will save ability points for your main group, but be extra hassle passing stuff back and forth when you want to use the identify / crafting / repair mule.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
How do I get a merchant to identify any given item? What are Lone Wolf characters? How do I level/relevecl them? And I was looking at my Log page, when I hit the filter button, half of the quest listings are removed. What does this mean? And does completing quests have to go in any particular order? I was looking at my quest list, and quite a few take place outside of the city (Cyseal). But when I go to the city gates to venture outside, I am told by the guards that I am not of sufficient character level to effectively survive out there. Any thoughts?

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Also, while my rogue goes happily looting people and rooms galore, I have come across some things that I haven't a clue what to do with. I'm talking about things like paintings, dinnerware (cups, plates), pillows, bags of meal, etc. Now, there was a game I used to play where when you loot things such as these, they could be sold for money. Is this the same situation with Divinity? I'm sure some things might be sold to the appropriate person, like cloth die and such.

Support
Support

In the trade window, there is an 'Identify Item' (magnifying glass) button at the bottom, to the right of the trade button (checkmark) and repair button (hammer). After clicking the button, the cursor changes to an identifying glass, and you can click on unidentified items in the character's inventory list to get a conformation window stating the cost of doing so.

The Lone Wolf talent gives some bonuses to a main character, but reduces the maximum party size by one. If both characters take that talent, you can not recruit any companions or henchmen. One of the bonuses is an extra ability point when levelling, but it is not retroactive, so this talent is best taken at character creation.

When companions join the party, if they have less experience than the main character that asks them to join/rejoin, they get an experience boost to match. Henchmen only gain experience when they are in the party, and don't get a boost when they join/rejoin.

The 'Filter Completed' checkbox removes quests that are done (solid black diamond).

There are quests with requirements to complete, or that need access to particular areas, etc, but other than that there is no particular order. It is possible for a main plot quest to make certain side quests unavailable (ie triggering combat with an entire town will block side quests that may have been open), or killing an NPC can block side quests.

There is one gate with no actual gate, and no check on level or party size, which is the easiest gate to leave by (suitable for level 3 or 4). If you explore in town enough, you can find an area with combat sutable for level 2 or 3.

Paintings are worth a lot; sell them, or trade them for skill books, etc. Cups and pillows can be crafted with, plates sold, knives crafted into daggers (which scale to your level, so even paper/gold knives are useful). Type stuff into the crafting table (link above) to see if there is something that can be done with it.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
What link are you referring to where I can type in an item and find out what it can be crafted into? And what do blank magic scrolls do? And I was poking around my character inventory, if I use the R1 or L1 buttons (on the PS4), I can sift through my current in-backpack items via categories. For example, one category is keys, one is healing items (potions, food, etc). What are the different categories?

Support
Support

Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition Crafting Table searchable / filterable

Blank scrolls can be crafted with, to produce blank spell books, or random scrolls.

The categories are All, Equipment, Consumables, Magical, Ingredients, Keys, Miscellaneous.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Suggestion: if the in cave tutorial were beefier, people wouldn't have these sorts of questions and the little hints are too quick to read. Crafting needs to have books lying around explaining exactly what to do - there are some but they are cryptic. The first time with a merchant should have a short tutorial, etc. It's all likely in the manual but with complicated games, it gets long and things are often not retained well. I think for paintings, at least some of them, there IS a comment (written) that says something like, "valuable, sell it" - perhaps more of that and things like, "no use/junk", "can be crafted", etc may be in order. It won't happen for this one as enhanced is likely the last remake but it may be something to keep in mind for newer games. Larian certainly does better then others but, shoot for the stars! We don't want to get like AGEOD with games people start, stare at the screen thinking now what, then give up never to buy one of their games again.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Caninelegion - if I asked a dumb question, I apologize. I'm just trying to get things in the clear, so I can understand things. Sorry about that. So anyway, I spent my game time yesterday identifying all the magical items – armor, weapons, etc – and equipping my characters with them. And something caught my eye – maybe I saw it wrong – but I was equipping my first main character (one of the two I made at the beginning of the game) with some weapons and armor. I had a long list of things to equip. I took inventory – of armor for example – and had my first character put on a helm (one of about four to choose from). I went to my second main character, and when I went to give him a helm, the remaining helms matched what was left after I give a helm to my first character. So, my question is… when equipping characters, do they share the carried equipment, or can they only equip what they have in their own personal inventory?

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Not a dumb question at all! I've only been at this forum for about a year and I've seen many similar questions (and asked quite a few similar ones myself) that a few tweaks could head off.

Last edited by caninelegion; 24/04/17 12:40 PM.
Support
Support

In the controller UI, when selecting items in the Equipment window, all available items that any party members are carrying (of the respective slot type) will be listed. If you go through the Inventory window, only the equipment that that particular character is carrying can be equipped.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
If I am in the of a battle, and I have to flee back to town, when I get back to the fight, will all of the damaged enemies be healed? And if I am in combat, and try to figure out my next move, will enemies still attack me when I am trying my next move?

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Is there a setting in Divinity where you can either allot skill points to wherever you want, or the same setting turned off will only allow you to spend skill points evenly – you have to spend points so that each skill has a point before you give a second one. Does Divinity have such an option to toggle?

Support
Support

If you flee from combat the opponents will be healed when you return, but the dead ones still dead. Opponents can not act on your turn; you can answer the phone, go make a sandwich, etc, while thinking about your next move. Nearby allies can not act on your turn, either, unless they have not been pulled into combat (NPC patrolling or behind a closed gate blocking line of sight, player character sneaking or invisible).

The number of ability points required to learn a level of an ability goes up as the level increases. For level 1 you need 1 point, level 2 needs 2 points, etc. If you have an ability from a talent, trait or equipment bonus, that is not considered; for example, Jahan starts with the Scientist talent, giving a level of Blacksmithing and Crafting, so learning level 2 of either would take 1 point, level 3 would be 2 points, etc.
At higher levels you start to get more ability points per level, and you do not need to use the points right away.

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
How do I use a bow & arrow? I know how to equip a bow or crossbow, but they are two-handed weapons.. if I equip a bow, how do I use arrows? I put the bow in my character's hands, but what do I do with the arrows?

Support
Support

For normal attacks, you don't need arrows. For special arrows, double click them in your inventory, right click and use, or add them to a skillbar slot and use them from there (click or horkey).

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I am having some problems with Ardu's robot in the cave north of Cyseal. It deals out some serious damage, it takes out my character in a flash. Can anyone give me tips on fighting the mechanical creature. And what does the lever do?

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
There's a book that Ardu let's you have that gives commands for the robot; find it and use it. smile

Support
Support

There are 3 levers in the cave, which can disable the robot's main weapon for a turn.

The robot is vulnerable to electricity, but any kind of air damage (including air damage reflection on equipment) will charge the Sparkmaster's main weapon.

You can use equipment bonuses or potions to boost the air resistance of whoever gets close enough to trigger combat.

Using the remote to vent steam, or otherwise surround the robot in a steam cloud, can get it to stun itself trying to use the ultrabolt attack.
If you can keep it knocked down, that would help, as well.

If it is still too tough, check for equipment/skill upgrades, etc, or do other things and come back for it later. It is also possible to sneak or use invisibility to get through the cave without triggering the fight.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Heck; I just shut down it's weapons with the control box and the handy instructions that you get from Ahru. I think you can shut it down completely (three options) but then lose experience points that you would otherwise get. Is there an advantage to using the levers (which I never noticed) or just fighting it straight up?

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I could never get the control box to work. Then again, I am "that person" who'll always find the wrong way to do something.

J'aime le fromage.
N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
Well, the three/four guys that were already in the tunnel keep using air attacks, which trigger the strong attacks from the robotic creature. Should I wait for them to be defeated before I start attacking? Am I to understand the lever will disable the creature for a round?

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
I am trying to find the best way to defeat it, hopefully without losing experience points, but if I have to go that route, so be it.

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Originally Posted by Neveroddoreven
Well, the three/four guys that were already in the tunnel keep using air attacks, which trigger the strong attacks from the robotic creature. Should I wait for them to be defeated before I start attacking? Am I to understand the lever will disable the creature for a round?

Those guys take quite a chunk out of it - I tend to support them to keep them alive but, with the weapons turned off, the machine doesn't do a lot of damage and their air attacks don't trigger anything. Without the control box, I don't know. I defeated it once that way (after a lot of help from Raze) but opted to use the control box every other try. It was my very first play through so I don't remember how I did it - luck probably.

Vometia: are you sure it wasn't working? I don't think there's a message or anything - it keeps fighting with the weapons disabled option - just doesn't do much damage.

Last edited by caninelegion; 04/06/17 01:56 AM.
Y
stranger
stranger
Y
Cast rain and go all in on lightning, IMO. It dies very quickly, and you can knock down / stun it through most of its turns.

Support
Support

If you find the NPCs there more trouble than they are worth, you can keep them from joining combat by engaging the first in conversation, having the rest of the party continue on and start the fight, then end the conversation and have that character use a teleporter pyramid to join the rest of the party.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by caninelegion
Vometia: are you sure it wasn't working? I don't think there's a message or anything - it keeps fighting with the weapons disabled option - just doesn't do much damage.

There is that possibility, but given that I can't even work the remote for the telly, I'm thinking that "she's doing it wrong" is the most likely explanation. biggrin

J'aime le fromage.
N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
How does the controller work?

Support
Support

Use it from the character's inventory, and if another character later in the turn order (or earlier in the next turn) is close enough to use it, pass it to them.

Angry - Happy - Angry : vent steam

Angry - Angry - Sleepy : discharges electricity (can't use lightning bolt attack, unless it gets charged again by air damage)

Sleepy - Sleepy - Happy : deactivate melee attacks

Angry - Angry - Angry : deactivate controller
Happy - Happy - Happy : "party time"

N
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
N
So, if I disable the machines melee attack or the shock attack, how long will those be in effect?

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Permanent as far as I can tell (except the recharge via air attacks). Never tried leaving in the middle of the fight; it may have to be done again in that case. The instructions that say what Raze listed above can be found in Ahru's room (he gives permission to take them if you ask the correct questions) as is the controller.

Support
Support

Actually, you should be able to take the controller instruction manual even without talking to Arhu.

J
stranger
stranger
J
Hello! I am a newbie in an RPG genre. And i am completely stuck in the Luculla forest. Goblins and spiders constantly tear me apart. I think one of the problems is a my second main character. 10lvl male Cleric. I find him completely useless. Probably i shouldn't tried to create a hybrid class (paladin style) character, as his melee and magic powers are very weak both. I don't know in which direction should i lead his level-up...

His stats are

Strength - 11 (3 from Gear)
Dexterity - 5
Intelligence - 7
Constituion - 9 (1 from gear)
Speed - 7
Perception - 5

Weapons

2 on Single-handed (and that probably a mistake, i find two-handed Madora musch more useful)

Defence

Arm. spec -2
Shield spec/ - 3 (1 from gear) (meh... it's lame, shield is not so good in blocking to prefer it to two-handed...) I don't know, should i drop shield and develop two-handed or dual-wielding?
Willpower - 1(1 from gear)
Bodybuilding -2

Skills

Aero - 1
Hydro - 1
Man At Arms - 2

I don't know is better to invest in melee as he is 11 str. with gear or try to make him more a battlemage? But as far as he using heavy armor his movement is very bad also. Lvl 1 spells are useless against many enemies in Luculla.

Also.

Blasmith. - 1
Crafting - 4
Telekinesis - 3 (i find it useless too)
Lore - 2

I will be glad to hear what can i make with a most useless member of the party. First i thought Cleric will be able to use a lot of healing spells. But healing from hydro and cure wounds from man-at-arms are not so effective as i thought to be, and because of cooldown he is not near the position of main healer of the party, his one-handed + shield melee attacks are weak and his magic spells are weak also, he is also very slow because of heavy armor. I don't know what to do with him, if he was not a main character, i will rather drop him.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Really simple newbie question here. Is it possible to set up dual wield weapons in the hot bar? My guy goes between bow and dual daggers a bit. In a game like Neverwinter Nights, I could drop two weapons on the same hotbar spot, or a one-handed weapon and a shield, and the game would figure it out. Is there anything like that here? Thanks.

apprentice
apprentice
I've got 1 point in Expert Marksman and 1 free skill point to invest for. But i can't invest it in EM, there is no "+", why? I am lvl 3.

apprentice
apprentice
Ah got it, i need more ability points.

Originally Posted by Kokkolar
I've got 1 point in Expert Marksman and 1 free skill point to invest for. But i can't invest it in EM, there is no "+", why? I am lvl 3.

You have to spend 2 points for rank 2 in a skill, 3 points for rank 3 and so forth.

edit: Ahh, too late. smile

Last edited by Raban; 25/06/17 06:48 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
How can i open that skull-door in the Black Cove?
https://postimg.org/image/fic7p44xn/

Support
Support

Hit the correct switch, the
Blood-Stained Switch,
which is
down the stairs south east of the skull, then to the west

apprentice
apprentice
Ah it was hidden. Thanks.

That game is soo oldschool...

That game is soo oldschool...

That's why many of us love it. cheer

Besides, D:OS isn't really oldschool. It has an automap and a rmb context menu. I played some Commodore Amiga roleplaying games recently. opa Do that and you know how modern D:OS is.

apprentice
apprentice
Is there something interesting in that pool of poison?
https://postimg.org/image/3mmpsp4vv/

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
There's some loot but it's what's past it that matters. Besides, making it go "boom!" is fun in and of itself. smile

apprentice
apprentice
What is the meaning of Luculla Mines teleports if you can't use them anyway?

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
I haven't played OS in a while; I'm drawing a blank on these transports. I might be able to answer if you were to give a little more info - something the spur my memory.

Support
Support

You can use the teleprter waypoints in the mines, the characters just have to interact with them directly.

There is one waypoint in the mines near the entrance, and another after geting through the majority of the section with deathknight patrols.

apprentice
apprentice
Ah thanks. I have passed this damn part of the game anyway.

apprentice
apprentice
Does it worth lvling witchcraft for Soulsap? Coz enemies often have high bodybuilding so they can easely resist it.

Last edited by Kokkolar; 11/07/17 01:28 AM.
apprentice
apprentice
Wow seems like rain gives +20% CtH for frozen status

Last edited by Kokkolar; 11/07/17 04:10 AM.
Does it worth lvling witchcraft for Soulsap? Coz enemies often have high bodybuilding so they can easely resist it.

The skill Divine Light from the Man-At-Arms tree lowers the target's Bodybuilding and Willpower. Maybe there are others, I am not that familiar with all of the skills.

edit:
The wiki says Soulsap is resisted by Willpower, not Bodybuilding. In addition to Divine Light, you could use the Witchcraft skill Drain Willpower then.

Last edited by Raban; 11/07/17 05:39 AM.
Wow seems like rain gives +20% CtH for frozen status

Are you sure? Rain makes everyone wet which in turn lowers their resistance against the frozen status. But CtH? If you meant Chance to Hit.

That said, the description of the wet status says -10% resistance against Air spells, not -20%. I don't know if this is modified by other values.

apprentice
apprentice
WP not BB nice! I knew about Divine light and Drain Willpower. Second one is prety usefull while Divine Light's saving throw is BB, so if you wana lower enemy's BB you have to pass BB check... which is nearly impossible when enemy has 4-6 BB.

apprentice
apprentice
I meant set status ofcourse. Yes it is because of wet status.

Just tested this.
Combat log says:
No rain = chance to resist freeze 3% (17 from BB)
Under the rain = chance to resist freeze -14% (20 from BB)

So it kinda +17-20%

apprentice
apprentice
blank post

Last edited by Kokkolar; 11/07/17 06:24 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Wil i get tenebrium rot if i use T weapons and have the tenebrium skill?

Support
Support

No; that's the point of having the Tenebrium skill (or level 3 will let you add a tenebrium bar to weapons).

C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
So that's what those bars were for.

apprentice
apprentice
Thanks. I spent all Jahan's skill points in Craft+BS and use him just for it.

And now i know that i can smelt weapons into bars that is soo cool. Smelt lvl10 sword and remake it to your current lvl sword for example.

Last edited by Kokkolar; 13/07/17 02:06 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Where is adventurer's staff part 2?

apprentice
apprentice
I am lvl 16 now but I found only 1 magic unlock scroll. Is there any more of them in game?

Support
Support

Adventurer's Weapons Guide

There are a couple more magical unlock scrolls, and they can also be crafted randomly.

apprentice
apprentice
How can i access this hidden cellar in orcish tavern?
https://postimg.org/image/6ibuad69n/

I can teleport character through the window :o

Last edited by Kokkolar; 15/07/17 02:15 PM.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Blimey, that's going back a bit. I don't recall the exact means of entry other than it's quest-related: so ask around...

J'aime le fromage.
apprentice
apprentice
Is it possible to kill death knights in Phantom Forest?

nvm, i found the blood

Last edited by Kokkolar; 15/07/17 06:00 PM.
C
Bugfinder General
Bugfinder General
C
Depends. Two things are needed first as I recall, then you can make them vulnerable. They're still tough, though. I could say more but it'd be a spoiler.

apprentice
apprentice
The final door in SOurce Temple don't pass me through coz i have not enough blood stones! I hate this game.

I skipped a stone somewhere and now i can't end the game.... omg

Last edited by Kokkolar; 15/07/17 11:26 PM.
Support
Support

In the tavern, click on the torch on the left side of the fireplace.

For the Source Temple, there are extra star / blood stones.

Where is Zixzax? By the weaver, the statue or a portal?

If you have blood stones in your inventory, use them to trigger the next portal to open.
If Zixzax is by the statue or a portal, talk to the statue or enter the portal, proceed far enough to get a cutscene conversation, then return to the main section of the homestead through the portal.

When a portal has been completely opened, there is a marker added to the map. If there is an active portal with no marker, that is the one holding up the rest of the portals from opening.

apprentice
apprentice
Thanks, i've done it finally.

I was so tired of that endless puzzles and mumbling at the end. The ending part of the game is really bad, to much puzzles to little fights.

apprentice
apprentice
Why do i can't pickpocket this vendor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSGvB8hrXQ4

Support
Support

The character isn't skilled enough. You need Pickpocket level 7 (ie maxed, plus 2 from helmet/gloves), and there is also a minimum dexterity required to be successful (22 fails; if I had armour with dexterity bonuses, in addition to dual wielding weapons with tormented souls and a dex potion, it may have been possible).

C
C
Another take would be that there is no pocket to pick, as it's an air elemental.

But as far as mechanic go, as Raze said, there are oftentimes two check being done: your pickpocket level and your dexterity. It may be impossible to pickpocket some specific NPC because the check are purposely too high.

Support
Support

Character level can also be a requirement when Pickpocketing, but since the save I had handy to check in didn't have much in the way of dexterity bonuses, I could not test that (I cheated up to level 30, so that should not have been why the attempt at dex 22 triggered combat immediately).

Originally Posted by Chrest
Another take would be that there is no pocket to pick, as it's an air elemental.

I think our rogue can pickpocket animals, which also shouldn't have pockets. But she doesn't tell my inquisitor all of her malfeasances, so I'm not sure. wink

C
C
Picking stuff out of thin air?
Or out of the animal guts?

I have the inkling your rogue friend has affinities with witchcraft and isn't keen to confess them. Given the stigma around it, I understand, but you can let her know that I could get her in touch with people that aren't bigots and work on a commendable community project which could make some use of her talents (they make mirific blood stones).

They understand we have all our weaknesses, so they would turn a blind eye on her "malfeasances". Plus, they might have a cure for those habits of hers (I've heard of something they call the ultimate cure). If you've ever wandered in Silverglen, say hi to Father Loic (he's a good guy).

Last edited by Chrest; 27/07/17 03:19 PM.
Now that you say it, her pickpocketing sometimes reminds me strongly of a "psychic surgeon" my inquisitor exposed some years ago …

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard